PDA

View Full Version : Lyoto Machida reinvents himself

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 04:29 PM
this is before his Silva fight btw

The other day, Dana White called out Lyoto Machida as possibly the next in line to be "best pound-for-pound fighter in MMA" after Anderson Silva retires. After reading this interview by our pal Ben Zeidler, we wonder if White told Machida that such hype comes with a price he has to start pretending like he has a personality. In the past, Machida has given interviews like he fights; no frills, accomplish your objective and move on. Now, things are getting a bit more colorful:

BZ: Is there anyone other than Thiago Silva that you would like to face?
LM: Give me the job and I will get it done. Rampage, Couture, Liddell, Vanderlei, Shogun, I work hard to win and will keep winning. Who thought they would see Tito with his back on the floor? Tito is a Great fighter but when he faced me, Lyoto, you know the ending.

BZ: Tell us a little bit more about your training regimens.
LM: My training is very versatile. My life is training, I just make some adaptations for each opponent. They need to worry about me. Look at my past, when I finish the fight I go dinner and have some fun and the other fighters go to the hospital.

BZ: What do you say to fans who say your style is boring?
LM: I am a martial artist, there is a lot of thought and strategy that goes into the way I fight...For some that is boring, I know, but I am beating the best in the world. After my fights I do not have nothing on my face, no scratches, no bruises. I am like a ghost they can not find me. If that is boring, that is their opinion. But I will be there for long time WINNING.

Zeidler notes that the interview was done through a translator. Unless that translator was Renato Sobral, it sounds like Machida may be trying to change his persona into something more brash. Not a heel necessarily, but cocky an unkinder, ungentler version of his former self. Will some of that attitude transfer to the cage? An aggressive performance against Thiago Silva at UFC 94 next month could bolster his case as next in line for a title shot if he can score a stoppage victory.

Moose
03-12-2009, 04:34 PM
All I want to know is where he gets a cup and jock large enough to fit Goat inside. Surely you weigh him down a bit :laugh:

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 04:37 PM
All I want to know is where he gets a cup and jock large enough to fit Goat inside. Surely you weigh him down a bit :laugh:

imagine how good he could be if i wasn't weighing him down :wink:

Moose
03-12-2009, 04:47 PM
imagine how good he could be if i wasn't weighing him down :wink:

He would be a ghost.

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 05:06 PM
He would be a ghost.

he already is....didn't you read what he said?

i was thinking more along the lines of Fedor

Llamafighter
03-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Good post. I think he's a very humble person. he's just confident.

rockdawg21
03-12-2009, 07:40 PM
BZ: Is there anyone other than Thiago Silva that you would like to face?
LM: Give me the job and I will get it done. Rampage, Couture, Liddell, Vanderlei, Shogun, I work hard to win and will keep winning. Who thought they would see Tito with his back on the floor? Tito is a Great fighter but when he faced me, Lyoto, you know the ending.
I like Lyoto's confidence, but he better be thanking God the bell rung when Tito was on his back. Lyoto was finished with that triangle choke, but *ding ding ding*. Nonetheless, it's part of the sport and if Lyoto fights everybody else the way he did against Silva (aggressively), I'm going to thoroughly enjoy watching him for many years to come.

rearnakedchoke
03-12-2009, 07:56 PM
to me, his talk is nothing different than BJ .. if you think BJ is a jerk, you have to think this tool is a jerk .. which he is .. beating the best in the world??? since when? reality will sink in in may ...

Blmfighter
03-12-2009, 07:57 PM
He was not finished by that choke. He got out of it before the bell rang.

Llamafighter
03-12-2009, 08:54 PM
to me, his talk is nothing different than BJ .. if you think BJ is a jerk, you have to think this tool is a jerk .. which he is .. beating the best in the world??? since when? reality will sink in in may ...

You better put lots of your favorite condiment on those words cause it's going to be Bon Appetite after that fight! :laugh:

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 10:04 PM
I like Lyoto's confidence, but he better be thanking God the bell rung when Tito was on his back. Lyoto was finished with that triangle choke, but *ding ding ding*. Nonetheless, it's part of the sport and if Lyoto fights everybody else the way he did against Silva (aggressively), I'm going to thoroughly enjoy watching him for many years to come.

what? first of all Lyoto had Tito in a crucifix at the end of the 1st and the bell rang, otherwise, Tito was getting what Penn got against Matt in their second fight.

secondly, Lyoto got out of Tito's triangle and continued back into his guard until the bell rang. he wasn't saved. Tito was from round 1.

rockdawg21
03-12-2009, 10:13 PM
what? first of all Lyoto had Tito in a crucifix at the end of the 1st and the bell rang, otherwise, Tito was getting what Penn got against Matt in their second fight.

secondly, Lyoto got out of Tito's triangle and continued back into his guard until the bell rang. he wasn't saved. Tito was from round 1.
My bad

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 10:47 PM
My bad

no biggie. i thought Lyoto hadn't been taken down but then i looked up the stats and saw that Soku did.

rearnakedchoke
03-12-2009, 11:25 PM
no biggie. i thought Lyoto hadn't been taken down but then i looked up the stats and saw that Soku did.

i guess i gotta rewatch that fight too, i don't remember soko taking him down ...

Hughes_GOAT
03-13-2009, 12:04 AM
i guess i gotta rewatch that fight too, i don't remember soko taking him down ...

i'm just going by the stats. for all we know, he could have slipped and Soku got in his guard :laugh:

rearnakedchoke
03-13-2009, 12:41 AM
i'm just going by the stats. for all we know, he could have slipped and Soku got in his guard :laugh:

just watched it, looks like ryoto pulled guard when soko grabbed him and immediately swept

did rewind it and soko used his leg to get him down, but was swept instantly and held there ....

rearnakedchoke
03-13-2009, 12:44 AM
hmmm .. took him down again at the end of round1 too ... so that looks like 2 takedowns

Hughes_GOAT
03-13-2009, 01:33 AM
they must have not counted it because on the stats, it says 1 of 2 on takedown attempts?

rearnakedchoke
03-13-2009, 01:40 AM
they must have not counted it because on the stats, it says 1 of 2 on takedown attempts?
they were both takedowns .... although, someone could have mistaken the first one as pulling guard ... it looked a little like machida was pulling back .. oh well ... i think rashad can take him down, but he has to make ryoto scramble first .... soko got them after he threw a flurry, got the clinch and took him down ... the third time he tried he got clocked

Hughes_GOAT
03-13-2009, 01:44 AM
they were both takedowns .... although, someone could have mistaken the first one as pulling guard ...

that's probably what happened.

Spiritwalker
03-13-2009, 02:16 AM
Lyoto will give Rashad the beating!!!

Rashad will get frustrated about mid way through the 2nd.. and donw hill from there!!!

Neezar
03-13-2009, 02:36 AM
:w00t: I can't wait!

Choke, you are going down! Oops, I mean Rashad is going down. :laugh:

rearnakedchoke
03-13-2009, 03:27 PM
:w00t: I can't wait!

Choke, you are going down! Oops, I mean Rashad is going down. :laugh:

haha .. i wonder what picture of rashad i should put in your sig ... maybe a gif in your av of him tweaking his nipples ... LOL

Tyburn
03-14-2009, 11:48 PM
I dont mind lyoto, he's alright in character and looks...but he's bloody boring to watch. If he can make things exciting continuously...and looooooose GOAT from his cup :laugh: ...then he'd be fantastic

thats a BIG IF :ninja:

Hughes_GOAT
03-15-2009, 02:49 AM
and looooooose GOAT from his cup :laugh: ...then he'd be fantastic

the difference, Dave, is i don't cause my fighter to lose by being in his cup, unlike you with Pulver :tongue0011:

que
03-15-2009, 03:00 AM
I dont mind lyoto, he's alright in character and looks...but he's bloody boring to watch.
do you think his fights against tito and thiago were boring?

lyoto use to have the reputation of bloody boring, but not anymore. he has been exciting as hell lately and i guarantee you with each fight he will keep getting more exciting and even better

Hughes_GOAT
03-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Rich Franklin didn't think he was boring. neither did Soku, who was coming off of 2 wins against 2 top 10 LHW's.

Tyburn
03-15-2009, 07:54 PM
the difference, Dave, is i don't cause my fighter to lose by being in his cup, unlike you with Pulver :tongue0011:
I wouldnt fit :mellow:

Tyburn
03-15-2009, 07:55 PM
do you think his fights against tito and thiago were boring?

lyoto use to have the reputation of bloody boring, but not anymore. he has been exciting as hell lately and i guarantee you with each fight he will keep getting more exciting and even better
like I said, if he keeps it exciting he'll be alright. :ninja:

Hughes_GOAT
03-16-2009, 12:40 AM
I wouldnt fit :mellow:

you know you have your own compartment

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 01:39 AM
you know you have your own compartment
:blink: :blink:

que
03-16-2009, 02:06 AM
like I said, if he keeps it exciting he'll be great. :ninja: