PDA

View Full Version : Carano fails to receive medical clearance, will not fight at ôStrikeforce: Overeem vs

billwilliams70
06-08-2011, 03:18 PM
http://www.yorkblog.com/mma/gina-carano.jpg

Gina Carano's (7-1 MMA, 1-1 SF) return to action will have to wait.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker today announced that Carano's "medical clearance was revoked," leaving her ineligible to compete in a previously announced June 18 contest with Sarah D'Alelio (4-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) at "Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum."

With the contest scrapped, a lightweight bout between K.J. Noons and Jorge Masvidal has been promoted to the evening's Showtime-broadcast main card.

Read the whole article here. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AqLQJM1mXX2Gz.paPOUXJxE9Eo14?slug=mmajun kie-Carano_Strikeforce_Overeem_Werdum)

Later.

Spiritwalker
06-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Yeah.. saw that on MMA Mania... kinda bummed...

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/6/7/2211748/gina-carano-return-to-strikeforce-put-on-hold-will-not-not-fight#storyjump

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1391082/ginacarano1_large.jpg

Bad news, fight fans ... real bad.

Gina Carano, who was all set to make her return to the cage on June 18 at the Strikeforce: "Overeem vs. Werdum" event in Dallas, Texas, against Sarah D'Alelio, has been pulled from the card.

On a conference call today, General Manager Scott Coker read a statement from Carano:

"I'm disappointed not to be fighting June 18. I'd like to thank Greg Jackson ... and I hope this is just a brief setback."
The reason given for "Conviction's" inability to participate in the June 18 festivities was that she was not medically cleared to compete by her doctor, although that was the extent of the information offered at this time.

Carano (7-1) hasn't seen action since a first round beatdown at the hands of Brazilian "Cyborg" Cristiane Santos back in August 2009. Following the loss, "Conviction" took a break from competition to star in the upcoming "Haywire" movie from director Steven Soderbergh.

She told fans earlier this year she was planning her MMA return to "prove something to herself," but she'll have to wait until a later date to do so.

There is no word yet on whether or not D'Alelio will receive a new opponent or will be yanked from the card altogether.

Stepping in to fill the void on the main card will be the K.J. Noons vs. Jorge Masvidal lightweight number one contender bout.

"Overeem vs. Werdum" will feature the continuation of the heavyweight grand prix tournament with match-ups pitting Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum and Josh Barnett vs. Brett Rogers.

A pair of heavyweight tilts are also set for the night's main card, as Chad Griggs will take on Valentijn Overeem and Daniel Cormier will battle Jeff Monson.

Keep it locked to MMAmania.com for any updates to Carano's condition and the Strikeforce June 18 fight card.

JavierDLC
06-08-2011, 03:58 PM
F@#K!! :sad:

billwilliams70
06-08-2011, 04:30 PM
My friend and I are guessing that she's pregnant. :ninja:

Later.

VCURamFan
06-08-2011, 04:47 PM
My friend and I are guessing that she's pregnant. :ninja:

Later.
Yeah, that's the prevailing opinion. I've heard everything from Couture to Bloodstain Lane. :blink:

rockdawg21
06-08-2011, 04:57 PM
I heard she still has mental scars of getting her ass kicked by Cyborg.

Spiritwalker
06-08-2011, 05:10 PM

heh....

I love me some Gina... and she fights very well.. but.. she did get it handed to her in that fight.

logrus
06-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Awww man totally lame, :sad:

logrus
06-08-2011, 06:19 PM

I thought she did a lot better then any of Cyborgs other victims :laugh:

atomdanger
06-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Gina is very over hyped, and had fights had fed to her.

Although I wonder why she failed her physical.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
06-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Hope its nothing that will keep her out to long!

logrus
06-08-2011, 07:37 PM
I read a report that said she was cleared but she backed out.

Spiritwalker
06-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Gina is very over hyped, and had fights had fed to her.

Fed???

Kelly Kobold 17-3
Katlin Young 9-2
Tonya Evinger 13-5
Julie Kedzie 16-8

I will say this though... with the exception of her first 3 fights.. All of her wins were from fighters coming off a loss... (no I didn't know that.. I did some digging)

Although I wonder why she failed her physical.

Not getting medical clearance is really different than failing a physical... But I see where you were going.

logrus
06-08-2011, 09:35 PM
*UPDATE* According to a story by Loretta Hunt on SI.com, Carano actually passed all of her medical requirements to be licensed by the State of Texas (including a physician’s examination, an ophthalmologic exam and requisite blood test) for the bout with D’Alelio. A spokesperson for the Texas Department of Licensing — the department responsible for fighter licensing told Hunt that their office was contacted today by an unnamed party that informed them that the popular female fighter would not be fighting next week. No reason was specified.

“Gina Carano had met all of the state of Texas’ requirements and the agency received notice today that she was off the card,” Susan Stanford, the public information officer for the Texas Department of Licensing explained.

Spiritwalker
06-09-2011, 12:28 AM
I was just on the SI fan nation news and rumors page.. nothing there..

I hope it's not true.

I just sent her an email.. let's see what plays out.

rockdawg21
06-09-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm telling you, it's mental scars. Every time she thinks of that cage, she can only see the knees and fists of Cyborg, lol

ufcfan2
06-09-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm telling you, it's mental scars. Every time she thinks of that cage, she can only see the knees and fists of Cyborg, lol

Could be? Its been 2 years since she fought maybe she had second thoughts bout getting punched in the face again??