PDA

View Full Version : ‘Rampage’ injured; Machida gets shot at Evans

MattHughesRocks
03-12-2009, 04:03 AM
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson needs surgery on his jaw and won’t be able to fight Rashad Evans as planned on May 23 at UFC 98, UFC president Dana White said.

White said Wednesday that he would give the title shot instead to unbeaten Lyoto Machida.

Jackson said at the postfight news conference for UFC 96 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio – in which he won a close decision from Keith Jardine to earn the title shot – that he wasn’t sure he could make it because his jaw was sore.

White said Wednesday that Jackson was examined on Tuesday in Las Vegas and it was discovered he had torn ligaments in his jaw. He also has a hyperextension of his left elbow.

Jackson will have surgery next week and will not be allowed contact for at least five weeks following.

“Rampage deserved the [title shot], but this is an awesome main event,” White said of Evans-Machida, which matches two unbeaten fighters. “A lot of people were complaining to me that Lyoto should have had the shot first. I think it’s going to be a great fight and Rampage can go get himself healthy.”

Evans is 13-0-1, with only a draw against Tito Ortiz marring his record. Machida is 14-0.

Jackson said Saturday that sparring partner Hector “Sick Dog” Ramirez had hit him with an uppercut several days prior to his win over Wanderlei Silva at UFC 92 on Dec. 27 in Las Vegas, injuring his jaw.

Jackson said he didn’t tell White about the injury. Jackson went on to knock out Silva in the first round of that fight, then almost immediately went back into training for the bout with Jardine.

The UFC had planned to make Jackson-Evans the main event of UFC 100, but changed plans on Saturday after learning interim heavyweight champion Frank Mir would be unable to train adequately for a rematch with heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar because of arthroscopic surgery on his knee.

White and matchmaker Joe Silva then decided to move Evans’ title defense to UFC 98, with the proviso that Jackson would get the bout if he won and felt he could make it and Machida would get it if Jackson felt he could not.

It would have been an unusually grueling pace for a top-tier fighter, with three high-level bouts in less than five months. Jackson, though, told White on Saturday: “You know I have your back” and promised he would fight if he could physically do it.

“It’s not the end of the world because we have a great fight to put on,” White said. “It shows you the kind of guy that Rampage is – that he was willing to sacrifice and take this fight because we needed him. You don’t forget things like that.

“But we’re lucky because we have a great fight to put in there and we don’t have problems.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-rampage031109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

MattHughesRocks
03-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Must have been from all that shyte talking he did with Rashad the other night.Got his jaw all out of line :laugh:

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 04:05 AM
Rampage really hurt his jaw with all that "jaw jacking" he was doing post-fight with Evans :laugh:

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 04:06 AM
Must have been from all that shyte talking he did with Rashad the other night.Got his jaw all out of line :laugh:

beat me to it :angry:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
03-12-2009, 06:33 AM
I'm rootin for Machida!

atomdanger
03-12-2009, 07:32 AM
I wonder what sort of "injury" it was, that allowed him to still spar,
talk, eat, etc...

But required surgery...

Primadawn
03-12-2009, 11:07 AM
WARRRRRRRRR MACHIDA!!!!!

County Mike
03-12-2009, 11:38 AM
I wonder what sort of "injury" it was, that allowed him to still spar,
talk, eat, etc...

But required surgery...

Torn Ligaments - big difference between chewing a piece of food and taking a punch. He also has something wrong with his elbow that needs fixing.

I don't blame him for wanting to recover before a title shot. They don't come along every day. If he accepted and lost because of his injuries, it's not likely he'd get another one anytime soon.

Llamafighter
03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Torn Ligaments - big difference between chewing a piece of food and taking a punch. He also has something wrong with his elbow that needs fixing.

I don't blame him for wanting to recover before a title shot. They don't come along every day. If he accepted and lost because of his injuries, it's not likely he'd get another one anytime soon.

I don't blame him either. IT will also give Machida a chance to post his fan base by whoopin' Rashad's arse. The fight between Lyoto and Page will be huge!

rearnakedchoke
03-12-2009, 12:30 PM
i think machida takes this ... i will be rooting for rashad, i think this is closer than machida's last fight ... see machida pulling off a decision

Neezar
03-12-2009, 01:10 PM
WARRRRRRRRR MACHIDA!!!!!

YES! :w00t:

i think machida takes this ... i will be rooting for rashad, i think this is closer than machida's last fight ... see machida pulling off a decision

Nope. He is finished with the decisions.

War Machida!

rearnakedchoke
03-12-2009, 01:23 PM
YES! :w00t:

Nope. He is finished with the decisions.

War Machida!

We'll see .... going undefeated and beating low level guys is one thing, but going undefeated and beating guys like chuck and forrest is more impressive .. of course, we won't know anything until the fight happens, until then, machida will remain overrated in my books until he beats a proven guy ...

Neezar
03-12-2009, 01:36 PM
We'll see .... going undefeated and beating low level guys is one thing, but going undefeated and beating guys like chuck and forrest is more impressive .. of course, we won't know anything until the fight happens, until then, machida will remain overrated in my books until he beats a proven guy ...

I can not wait for this fight! I have to say that this is most excited that I have been for a fight in a while. Do you want to fight with me about it until the fight? :w00t:

:laugh:

rearnakedchoke
03-12-2009, 01:40 PM
I can not wait for this fight! I have to say that this is most excited that I have been for a fight in a while. Do you want to fight with me about it until the fight? :w00t:

Sounds good .. Rashad is gonna win .. remember, pretty much everyone has played into lidell's plan of stalking him down and getting ko'd .. with the exception of quinton ... rashad made him play into his game plan .... lyoto is gonna come forward, get taken down and then ko'd ... just like the forrest fight ..

Neezar
03-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Sounds good .. Rashad is gonna win .. remember, pretty much everyone has played into lidell's plan of stalking him down and getting ko'd .. with the exception of quinton ... rashad made him play into his game plan .... lyoto is gonna come forward, get taken down and then ko'd ... just like the forrest fight ..

Hmmm, has Machida every been taken down? :huh:

Machida by anyway he wants! :punch:

rearnakedchoke
03-12-2009, 01:51 PM

Don't know .. fell asleep during all his fights ... i think that he is changing his nickname from the dragon to yawn ..

Neezar
03-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Don't know .. fell asleep during all his fights ... i think that he is changing his nickname from the dragon to yawn ..

:angry:

Yeah? Well.......Rashad can't dance!

rearnakedchoke
03-12-2009, 02:01 PM
:angry:

Yeah? Well.......Rashad can't dance!

Well people thought Ryoto was elusive, wait til Rashad does his head bod .. (cue: someone please post the gif of rashad from his first or second TUF fight, the one matt gave him hell for .. LOL ..) now that is elusive

Llamafighter
03-12-2009, 02:05 PM

I'm sure you've seen half of them. I wasn't a huge fan at first but the more i watched of him the more appreciative I've become of his skill.

Machida wins in the 2nd or 3rd by TKO.

Do you want to sig bet this fight??

Neezar
03-12-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm sure you've seen half of them. I wasn't a huge fan at first but the more i watched of him the more appreciative I've become of his skill.

Machida wins in the 2nd or 3rd by TKO.

Do you want to sig bet this fight??

Hey! He is my sparring partner. :angry:

Llamafighter
03-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Hey! He is my sparring partner. :angry:

You're absolutely right:)

I'm sure enough other haters will pop up that I'll get my chance:)

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 03:36 PM

nope, but he took Tito down 3 times.

Llamafighter
03-12-2009, 03:39 PM
nope, but he took Tito down 3 times.

His foot/leg sweeps are unparalleled ! Especially when he couples it with a right cross as if to say " let me help you down ". Don't even get me started on those freakin' switch kicks...!

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 03:45 PM
His foot/leg sweeps are unparalleled ! Especially when he couples it with a right cross as if to say " let me help you down ". Don't even get me started on those freakin' switch kicks...!

he can do it any way he wants. his first takedown on Tito was a body lock.

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Dan White: "Machida is Anderson's successor"

http://freefightvideos.blogspot.com/2008/12/dana-white-machida-is-anderson.html

Llamafighter
03-12-2009, 03:51 PM
he can do it any way he wants. his first takedown on Tito was a body lock.

I'd love to see all his compustrike stats. I'm off to find them...:ninja:

Llamafighter
03-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Dan White: "Machida is Anderson's successor"

http://freefightvideos.blogspot.com/2008/12/dana-white-machida-is-anderson.html

I can't wait for the UFC to have dominant champs in every weight class again. It was so awesome when Chuck ruled LHW Rich ruled MW, and Matt was ruling WW. They've never really had a ruler at HW, have they?

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 04:26 PM
They've never really had a ruler at HW, have they?

Sylvia was the closest

bj44
03-12-2009, 04:35 PM

He got taken down by sokodjou

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 04:38 PM

i'll have to watch that again cause i don't remember that? but i do remember Soku tapping.

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 04:55 PM
ok, he did get taken down once. i had to check the stats. good thing he's a BJJ black belt.

atomdanger
03-12-2009, 05:29 PM

Oh I don't blame him either,
I was actually wondering lol

They said injury, I didn't see them actually say what it was

County Mike
03-12-2009, 05:51 PM

He did? I thought he took Sokodjou down.

KevinD
03-12-2009, 06:11 PM
I like Machida and really hope he shuts the showboating Rashad up. I am totally tired of Evans. He has great skills, very athletic and explosive but I just don't like the guy. The style match up in this fight may make it a bit boring but I will be cheering for the Dragon to win.

rearnakedchoke
03-12-2009, 06:17 PM
He did? I thought he took Sokodjou down.
yes, with a sick sick sick punch ...

Jeff Crow
03-12-2009, 07:51 PM
I hope they knock each other out. :laugh: I just don't care for eath one of them. I don't know what it is about Machida...I just can't figure out why I don't like him:unsure-1:

Preach
03-12-2009, 07:54 PM
I hope they knock each other out. :laugh: I just don't care for eath one of them. I don't know what it is about Machida...I just can't figure out why I don't like him:unsure-1:

Anybody is better than Evans I cant stand him at all

Maldonado136
03-12-2009, 08:09 PM
machida makes me proud to wear a GI.

rockdawg21
03-12-2009, 08:53 PM
I like Machida and really hope he shuts the showboating Rashad up. I am totally tired of Evans. He has great skills, very athletic and explosive but I just don't like the guy. The style match up in this fight may make it a bit boring but I will be cheering for the Dragon to win.
I like Evans when he's not in the ring. He's humble, calm, and respectful, but for some reason, when he's standing in the ring, he turns into a real rooster. If he tries that kiss then touching his penis again, he'll eat a fist to the face for his efforts; Machida has much faster reaction speed than Forrest. You can be sure Machida will be ready to throw something as soon as Evans exposes himself with that crap.

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 09:55 PM
yes, with a sick sick sick punch ...

and leg sweep

Neezar
03-13-2009, 02:24 AM

Are you cruisin' for a bruisin'? :punch:

Neezar
03-13-2009, 02:25 AM

Surely you liked him in his last fight?! Or were you afraid it would be boring and skip it? :unsure-1:

que
03-13-2009, 02:31 AM
sokoudjou did score the takedown but lyoto swept him less than 2 seconds later. just had to throw that in there :)

Hughes_GOAT
03-13-2009, 01:03 PM
lyoto swept him less than 2 seconds later. just had to throw that in there :)

yeah, like i said, he has a black belt in BJJ so it's not like he's a turtle on his back. :laugh:

Jeff Crow
03-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Surely you liked him in his last fight?! Or were you afraid it would be boring and skip it? :unsure-1:

His last fight was a lot more exciting and I do respect his skills. I just don't care for him for some reason.

Hughes_GOAT
03-13-2009, 01:09 PM
His last fight was a lot more exciting and I do respect his skills. I just don't care for him for some reason.

he's best friends with Lesnar :Whistle:

KevinD
03-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Get Used to it Jeff......."and the neeeewwwww Light-Heavyweight Champion, Lyoto the Dragon Machiiiiiddddaaaa"

Llamafighter
03-13-2009, 01:43 PM

If for any other reason, please like him for the fact that we got to hear him call Ortiz, Cheetoh for that glorious month! Now we get to hear Ruchawd this, and Ruchawd that. It's going to be awesome.

KevinD
03-13-2009, 01:47 PM
If for any other reason, please like him for the fact that we got to hear him call Ortiz, Cheetoh for that glorious month! Now we get to hear Ruchawd this, and Ruchawd that. It's going to be awesome.

HaHa yes I loved it when he was calling Tito, Cheetoh. Thanks for mentioning that again, you made my day!!

Jeff Crow
03-13-2009, 02:08 PM
he's best friends with Lesnar :Whistle:

Where's the proof of this outlandish claim!:laugh:

Jeff Crow
03-13-2009, 02:10 PM
I will admit that it was funny hearing him call Tito that. :laugh:

He can hold that belt until Rampage or Chuck gets it back:)

CAVEMAN
03-13-2009, 07:23 PM
All I can say is that Rashad's reign at LHW is over!!!!!!

F34R
03-13-2009, 08:37 PM
All I can say is that Rashad's reign at LHW is over!!!!!!
doubt that. If anything, it's just begun.

rearnakedchoke
03-13-2009, 09:28 PM
doubt that. If anything, it's just begun.

people think that because he has whipped through nobodies, he is gonna whip rashad .... i am not saying he won't win, but this isn't going to be easy ...

F34R
03-13-2009, 10:41 PM
He's already beaten two champions... they weren't "nobody's". Machida has some padded wins on his record, and both have beaten two of the same guys.

rearnakedchoke
03-13-2009, 10:53 PM
He's already beaten two champions... they weren't "nobody's". Machida has some padded wins on his record, and both have beaten two of the same guys.

i was talking about machida beating nobodies ...

Hughes_GOAT
03-14-2009, 12:12 AM

or Huchawd, since the Brazilians pronounce "R's" like "H's" LOL

Spiritwalker
03-14-2009, 01:16 AM
people think that because he has whipped through nobodies, he is gonna whip rashad .... i am not saying he won't win, but this isn't going to be easy ...

huh?

Thiago Silva!
Sokoudjou!
Vernon White
Baby J. Penn!!!!
Michael McDonald
Rich Franklin!!!!
Stephan Bonnar

All lost to Lyoto... those guys aren't "Nobodies"?

Hughes_GOAT
03-14-2009, 01:30 AM
those guys aren't "Nobodies"?

apparently :Whistle:

Josh
03-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Machida will be the new Chuck at LHW. Rashad will lose by the fourth.

Tyburn
03-14-2009, 11:25 PM
I thought Quinton made it clear he didnt want to fight so soon :mellow:

Spiritwalker
03-15-2009, 02:31 AM
Machida will be the new Chuck at LHW. Rashad will lose by the fourth.

Fourth.. head kick? jab/cross combo??? I don't see this getting out of the 2nd.. maybe 3rd.

Hughes_GOAT
03-15-2009, 02:46 AM
won't get past the 3rd

Josh
03-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Fourth.. head kick? jab/cross combo??? I don't see this getting out of the 2nd.. maybe 3rd.
i think they will both be afraid to engage at first since they each have a ton riding on this fight. Plus Lyoto will be defending Rashad's TDs. I expect to see a lot of wrestling against the cage too.

Josh
03-15-2009, 12:21 PM
i think they will both be afraid to engage at first since they each have a ton riding on this fight. Plus Lyoto will be defending Rashad's TDs. I expect to see a lot of wrestling against the cage too. By the way what ever happened to the sig I gave you?:Whistle:

rearnakedchoke
03-15-2009, 12:24 PM
well, i can't remember rashad or machida even being closed to be finished .. and rashad has fought some heavyweights, who weren't really tough, but hit hard ... speed is a different beast though ...

Hughes_GOAT
03-16-2009, 12:44 AM
well, i can't remember rashad or machida even being closed to be finished ..

in the TUF finale Rashad was rocked a few times....but Imes sucks.

Llamafighter
03-16-2009, 04:07 AM
i think they will both be afraid to engage at first since they each have a ton riding on this fight. Plus Lyoto will be defending Rashad's TDs. I expect to see a lot of wrestling against the cage too.

Rashad's TD's won't be much of a threat IMHO. I look for Machida to press the action in this one. If Rashad gets aggressive it will be a short night.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
03-16-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm hoping Machida knocks him out!