PDA

View Full Version : NATGEO Showing Programs on Recent Tornadoes/Disasters

Bonnie
06-01-2011, 03:14 AM
For anyone interested National Geographic is showing programs tonight (one on right now!) on these recent tornadoes that have hit the states and some of the disasters...massive flooding and such happening around the world.

We just got through watching one program that showed the tornadoes that happened in April that hit Mississippi, Missouri (St. Louis) and Alabama (the Tuscaloosa tornado. They're going to show that program again in an hour or two. They said the normal number of tornadoes for the month of April is 135; this April there were about 600. :blink: The program that is on now is starting off talking about Joplin.

NTGEO - Channel 186 on DISH (not sure what channel that is on DIRECTV or cable)

Some incredible footage of these monsters!

Bonnie
06-01-2011, 03:56 AM
The National Geographic site mentions the programs on tonight:

Main site: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel

and

"Witness the Storm" http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/series/witness/7051/Overview#tab-Photos/0

flo
06-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, Bonnie.

These weather extremes are fascinating and scary, the photography is just amazing. NatGeo alway has excellent photographers, I have to remember to check that channel more often.

I missed some of the programs so set a reminder - for anyone with Comcast, they are on again this Saturday 6:00 to 8:00 and then rerun an hour later.

DonnaMaria
06-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Bonnie.

These weather extremes are fascinating and scary, the photography is just amazing. NatGeo alway has excellent photographers, I have to remember to check that channel more often.

I missed some of the programs so set a reminder - for anyone with Comcast, they are on again this Saturday 6:00 to 8:00 and then rerun an hour later.

I agree! Beautiful and terrible at the same time.

rockdawg21
06-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the info! They are reshowing this on Saturday at 8pm CST. DirecTV channel 276.

Bonnie
06-01-2011, 06:17 PM
I watched all three programs they had on last night one right after the other. The footage of some of those tornadoes was incredible.

Fascinating (in a horrifying way) to see film footage of those tornadoes and those massive floods. In the one program "Explorer", they talked about how all these extreme weather conditions (droughts, rains, tornadoes, hurricanes...) are being caused by the evaporation of water from the oceans and now the ice caps; and how these intense weather conditions we're experiencing now will become more the norm. We've already seen several 100-yr floods and two 500-yr floods they said.

Fascinating, but scary to think what might be in store for us...

rockdawg21
06-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I watched all three programs they had on last night one right after the other. The footage of some of those tornadoes was incredible.

Fascinating (in a horrifying way) to see film footage of those tornadoes and those massive floods. In the one program "Explorer", they talked about how all these extreme weather conditions (droughts, rains, tornadoes, hurricanes...) are being caused by the evaporation of water from the oceans and now the ice caps; and how these intense weather conditions we're experiencing now will become more the norm. We've already seen several 100-yr floods and two 500-yr floods they said.

Yes, because it's very easy to say that after 1 big year of tornadoes. I'm sure they were saying the same thing in 1974. And why wasn't this discussed last year when it was an average year for # of EF3-EF5 tornado occurrences and 2009 was far less than average for the # of EF3-EF5 tornado occurrences?

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/tornado/tornadotrend.jpg

I wouldn't believe everything that is reported. Data does not lie: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/severeweather/tornadoes.html#history

rockdawg21
06-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks again for sharing this Bonnie. I'm finally watching it. I kinda miss the adrenaline rush of chasing those things; we never get strong storms here in San Antonio.

rockdawg21
06-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Also, on 6/14 @ 10am-11am CST, The Weather Channel is going to be showing "Tornado Rampage 2011".

Bonnie
06-06-2011, 06:50 PM
I'll set my dvr for that...thanks, Rock.

Bonnie
06-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks again for sharing this Bonnie. I'm finally watching it. I kinda miss the adrenaline rush of chasing those things; we never get strong storms here in San Antonio.

I can't remember now which tornado they were chasing (I think it might have been the one in Mississippi), but these two tornado chasers were practically right on top of it and one guy (passenger) was like, "Back up, back up! It's coming right at us!" and the other guy was wanting to keep going towards it. :laugh: He did end up backing up...wise choice!

rockdawg21
06-06-2011, 07:50 PM
I can't remember now which tornado they were chasing (I think it might have been the one in Mississippi), but these two tornado chasers were practically right on top of it and one guy (passenger) was like, "Back up, back up! It's coming right at us!" and the other guy was wanting to keep going towards it. :laugh: He did end up backing up...wise choice!
Yeah, I remember that part. That thing would have thrown their car all over the place.

NateR
06-06-2011, 11:02 PM

Considering the source, I knew they would try to spin it as some sort of confirmation of "Global Warming/Climate Change" (or whatever they are calling it this decade).

flo
06-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Considering the source, I knew they would try to spin it as some sort of confirmation of "Global Warming/Climate Change" (or whatever they are calling it this decade).

That's my one criticism of NatGeo, they have a definite political agenda they enjoy pushing with their programming. There was an interesting show recently about the Arctic but they eventually got around to politicizing the thing. :angry:

Just this morning I was reading about some lefty columnist who suggested that people who disagree with the theory behind the global warming religion should have to have that fact tattooed on their bodies for their sin of doubt. TATTOOED! What does that smack of? You just can't make this stuff up!

link here (http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/the-dangers-of-boneheaded-beliefs-20110602-1fijg.html)

Yeah, Nate, it's "climate change" now. Global warming didn't prove to be such a winner after record low temps so they have simply relabeled their theory as the left so often does. Just call it something else less idiotic or offensive!! Like pro-choice! It sounds so much better!

flo
06-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Bonnie, sorry to go off on one of my rants on your thread. :ashamed: I did enjoy the programs and I just try to ignore their "theories" with which I disagree.
:wink:

Bonnie
06-07-2011, 08:12 AM

That's my one criticism of NatGeo, they have a definite political agenda they enjoy pushing with their programming. There was an interesting show recently about the Arctic but they eventually got around to politicizing the thing. :angry:

link here (http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/the-dangers-of-boneheaded-beliefs-20110602-1fijg.html)

Yeah, Nate, it's "climate change" now. Global warming didn't prove to be such a winner after record low temps so they have simply relabeled their theory as the left so often does. Just call it something else less idiotic or offensive!! Like pro-choice! It sounds so much better!

I didn't realize National Geographic had a political slant or anything; I just enjoy their programs and thought some might be interested in a couple that had to do with some of these recent tornadoes, and some of the other catastrophic events that have occurred here, as well as, in other parts of the world. :)

flo
06-07-2011, 08:51 AM
I didn't realize National Geographic had a political slant or anything; I just enjoy their programs and thought some might be interested in a couple that had to do with some of these recent tornadoes, and some of the other catastrophic events that have occurred here, as well as, in other parts of the world. :)

I am really interested in those programs, Bonnie. In a perfect world, I would wish they'd leave the liberal slant on the cutting room floor, but in the meantime I just try to disregard it.

I LOVE The Dog Whisperer and, thankfully, they have avoided any kind of political overtones on that program.

rockdawg21
06-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Also, on 6/14 @ 10am-11am CST, The Weather Channel is going to be showing "Tornado Rampage 2011".
Watching this right now. It's pretty awesome footage! They even show a woman inside of a car who's picked up by a tornado for 15 seconds. You can see her having a panic attack once she's back on the ground.

I was wrong though, it was on the Discovery Channel.