PDA

View Full Version : More disgusting treatment of women

Miss Foxy
05-31-2011, 07:53 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/05/31/egypt.virginity.tests/index.html?hpt=hp_p1&iref=NS1

Cairo (CNN) -- A senior Egyptian general admits that "virginity checks" were performed on women arrested at a demonstration this spring, the first such admission after previous denials by military authorities.

The allegations arose in an Amnesty International report, published weeks after the March 9 protest. It claimed female demonstrators were beaten, given electric shocks, strip-searched, threatened with prostitution charges and forced to submit to virginity checks.

At that time, Maj. Amr Imam said 17 women had been arrested but denied allegations of torture or "virginity tests."

But now a senior general who asked not to be identified said the virginity tests were conducted and defended the practice.

"The girls who were detained were not like your daughter or mine," the general said. "These were girls who had camped out in tents with male protesters in Tahrir Square, and we found in the tents Molotov cocktails and (drugs)."

The general said the virginity checks were done so that the women wouldn't later claim they had been raped by Egyptian authorities.

"We didn't want them to say we had sexually assaulted or raped them, so we wanted to prove that they weren't virgins in the first place," the general said. "None of them were (virgins)."

However, Gen. Mamdouh Shaheen, a member of Egypt's Supreme Council of Armed Forces, said the "accusations that we did virginity tests are not acceptable. We denied it then and we deny it now."

This demonstration occurred nearly a month after Egypt's longtime President Hosni Mubarak stepped down amid a wave of popular and mostly peaceful unrest aimed at his ouster and the institution of democratic reforms.

Afterward, Egypt's military -- which had largely stayed on the sidelines of the revolution -- officially took control of the nation's political apparatus as well, until an agreed-upon constitution and elections.

The March 9 protest occurred in Tahrir Square, which became famous over 18 historic and sometimes bloody days and nights of protests that led to Mubarak's resignation.

But unlike in those previous demonstrations, the Egyptian military targeted the protesters. Soldiers dragged dozens of demonstrators from the square and through the gates of the landmark Egyptian Museum.

Salwa Hosseini, a 20-year-old hairdresser and one of the women named in the Amnesty report, described to CNN how uniformed soldiers tied her up on the museum's grounds, forced her to the ground and slapped her, then shocked her with a stun gun while calling her a prostitute.

"They wanted to teach us a lesson," Hosseini said soon after the Amnesty report came out. "They wanted to make us feel that we do not have dignity."

The treatment got worse, Hosseini said, when she and the 16 other female prisoners were taken to a military detention center in Heikstep.

There, she said, she and several of other female detainees were subjected to a "virginity test."

"We did not agree for a male doctor to perform the test," she said. But Hosseini said her captors forced her to comply by threatening her with more stun-gun shocks.

"I was going through a nervous breakdown at that moment," she recalled. "There was no one standing during the test, except for a woman and the male doctor. But several soldiers were standing behind us watching the backside of the bed. I think they had them standing there as witnesses."

The senior Egyptian general said the 149 people detained after the March 9 protest were subsequently tried in military courts, and most have been sentenced to a year in prison.

Authorities later revoked those sentences "when we discovered that some of the detainees had university degrees, so we decided to give them a second chance," he said.

The senior general reaffirmed that the military council was determined to make Egypt's democratic transition a success.

"The date for handover to a civil government can't come soon enough for the ruling military council," he said. "The army can't wait to return to its barracks and do what it does best -- protect the nation's borders."

Miss Foxy
05-31-2011, 07:54 PM
This infuriates me! :yell: I hate reading stories like this makes me mad then sad...

BamaGrits84
05-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Virginity checks? Wow that is sickening. I think these jerks should have the "duck" stuck up their rears so we can measure how big of an @ss they all are! And medically speaking for a woman of the age these are even if they were virgins many things could have occured to make it seem as it they are not.

Twinsmama
05-31-2011, 08:30 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/05/31/egypt.virginity.tests/index.html?hpt=hp_p1&iref=NS1

Cairo (CNN) -- A senior Egyptian general admits that "virginity checks" were performed on women arrested at a demonstration this spring, the first such admission after previous denials by military authorities.

The allegations arose in an Amnesty International report, published weeks after the March 9 protest. It claimed female demonstrators were beaten, given electric shocks, strip-searched, threatened with prostitution charges and forced to submit to virginity checks.

At that time, Maj. Amr Imam said 17 women had been arrested but denied allegations of torture or "virginity tests."

But now a senior general who asked not to be identified said the virginity tests were conducted and defended the practice.

"The girls who were detained were not like your daughter or mine," the general said. "These were girls who had camped out in tents with male protesters in Tahrir Square, and we found in the tents Molotov cocktails and (drugs)."

The general said the virginity checks were done so that the women wouldn't later claim they had been raped by Egyptian authorities.

"We didn't want them to say we had sexually assaulted or raped them, so we wanted to prove that they weren't virgins in the first place," the general said. "None of them were (virgins)."

However, Gen. Mamdouh Shaheen, a member of Egypt's Supreme Council of Armed Forces, said the "accusations that we did virginity tests are not acceptable. We denied it then and we deny it now."

This demonstration occurred nearly a month after Egypt's longtime President Hosni Mubarak stepped down amid a wave of popular and mostly peaceful unrest aimed at his ouster and the institution of democratic reforms.

Afterward, Egypt's military -- which had largely stayed on the sidelines of the revolution -- officially took control of the nation's political apparatus as well, until an agreed-upon constitution and elections.

The March 9 protest occurred in Tahrir Square, which became famous over 18 historic and sometimes bloody days and nights of protests that led to Mubarak's resignation.

But unlike in those previous demonstrations, the Egyptian military targeted the protesters. Soldiers dragged dozens of demonstrators from the square and through the gates of the landmark Egyptian Museum.

Salwa Hosseini, a 20-year-old hairdresser and one of the women named in the Amnesty report, described to CNN how uniformed soldiers tied her up on the museum's grounds, forced her to the ground and slapped her, then shocked her with a stun gun while calling her a prostitute.

"They wanted to teach us a lesson," Hosseini said soon after the Amnesty report came out. "They wanted to make us feel that we do not have dignity."

The treatment got worse, Hosseini said, when she and the 16 other female prisoners were taken to a military detention center in Heikstep.

There, she said, she and several of other female detainees were subjected to a "virginity test."

"We did not agree for a male doctor to perform the test," she said. But Hosseini said her captors forced her to comply by threatening her with more stun-gun shocks.

"I was going through a nervous breakdown at that moment," she recalled. "There was no one standing during the test, except for a woman and the male doctor. But several soldiers were standing behind us watching the backside of the bed. I think they had them standing there as witnesses."

The senior Egyptian general said the 149 people detained after the March 9 protest were subsequently tried in military courts, and most have been sentenced to a year in prison.

Authorities later revoked those sentences "when we discovered that some of the detainees had university degrees, so we decided to give them a second chance," he said.

The senior general reaffirmed that the military council was determined to make Egypt's democratic transition a success.

"The date for handover to a civil government can't come soon enough for the ruling military council," he said. "The army can't wait to return to its barracks and do what it does best -- protect the nation's borders."

woow i'm relieved to know once you're not a virgin you can be raped or sexually assualted:laugh:

the rest of the article is too sick for me to reply on

Miss Foxy
05-31-2011, 10:34 PM
woow i'm relieved to know once you're not a virgin you can be raped or sexually assualted:laugh:

the rest of the article is too sick for me to reply on

Just make sure you don't use this thread to escape the horror of daily life and make fun of innocent people lol.. :wink: Sickening isn't it?!!

KENTUCKYREDBONE
06-01-2011, 01:56 AM
But,But I thought us horrible Americans were the only ones that mistreated Women! I've read alot of stuff like this before and if I had a Daughter I would forbid her to go to any Muslim country. It probably sounds bad but I probably wouldn't want her around Muslims anywhere without somebody with them that I considered willing and able to protect her. I don't want that kind of Trash around my Wife ethier!

DonnaMaria
06-01-2011, 02:01 AM
Just make sure you don't use this thread to escape the horror of daily life and make fun of innocent people lol.. :wink: Sickening isn't it?!!

I haven't seen anyone on here do that, have you? :huh:

If you think you have, then you must be reading much more into it.

And if you are sure that someone has done something wrong then you should go to them and tell them privately...........and not make fun of innocent people or make snarky remarks.........because you might be totally off base..................

ya know?:wink:

flo
06-01-2011, 02:31 AM

Why are you picking on DonnaMaria, Miss Foxy? She's one of the sweetest people on the forum.

Miss Foxy
06-01-2011, 02:32 AM
I haven't seen anyone on here do that, have you? :huh:

If you think you have, then you must be reading much more into it.

And if you are sure that someone has done something wrong then you should go to them and tell them privately...........and not make fun of innocent people or make snarky remarks.........because you might be totally off base..................

ya know?:wink:

No I don't know. *wink*... I don't need to put anything I posted in anything private.. Don't know why you feel so compelled to comment..

DonnaMaria
06-01-2011, 02:36 AM
No I don't know. *wink*... I don't need to put anything I posted in anything private.. Don't know why you feel so compelled to comment..

I guess I misunderstood your post............posts............

I guess I'm mistaken then. My apologies.

Miss Foxy
06-01-2011, 02:50 AM
Why are you picking on DonnaMaria, Miss Foxy? She's one of the sweetest people on the forum.

First off Flo who the hell is picking on who? I was commenting to Tracy about something we jokedd about off the record. I think if I were the forum bully I would choose something better to pick on DM for really I don't need you, her or anyone else making assumptions and trying to school me like I'm a kid. Like she noted in the comment ask privately instead of assuming I have cruel intentions. I am highly offended right now.

flo
06-01-2011, 03:04 AM

Seeing as on the other thread she said she escapes the horror of daily life by gallows humor, I thought it seemed pretty obvious what you were talking about. But I guess it's just an amazing coincidence.

I didn't say you were the forum bully, I said I thought you were picking on Donna Maria.

You don't have to start swearing, Miss Foxy, pardon me if I misunderstood your post.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
06-01-2011, 05:30 AM
Now can we get back to the subject! Maybe I'm crazy but it bothers me that Humans get treated so bad for no just cause! Lets just blame the heat or something for our fussing!

DonnaMaria
06-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Now can we get back to the subject! Maybe I'm crazy but it bothers me that Humans get treated so bad for no just cause! Lets just blame the heat or something for our fussing!

I'd go for that! :wink:

County Mike
06-01-2011, 11:40 AM
I don't get the logic. They performed virginity tests so they couldn't be accused of raping the women later.

How does proving that they weren't virgins prior to the arrest prove they didn't rape them.

"Well, they weren't virgins so obviously, we couldn't have raped them. Everyone knows you can only rape virgins. Duh."

Twinsmama
06-01-2011, 12:43 PM

I am totally guilty of that. This whole forum is for me to escape the horrors of every day life:laugh:

It is just sickening to know what goes on in other religions, places, different cultures, etc than what we are used to. i've heard some people say they are down and out and things are so bad. they lost their brand new vehicles they shouldn't have bought in the 1st place. things could be so much worse. all around the world people are dealing with something so much worse than most of us can really understand.

If this woman is admitting they did this it must not be a big deal to them. i wonder how often this type of situation would take place. i also think it's hogwash that if they are not virgins they can't prove they were raped.

rearnakedchoke
06-01-2011, 02:02 PM

i assume i am at the top of the "sweet" list?

rearnakedchoke
06-01-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't get the logic. They performed virginity tests so they couldn't be accused of raping the women later.

How does proving that they weren't virgins prior to the arrest prove they didn't rape them.

"Well, they weren't virgins so obviously, we couldn't have raped them. Everyone knows you can only rape virgins. Duh."

yeah .. doesn't make sense ... unless they were trying to prove they were virgins before the interrogations, which makes even less sense as if the women turned out to lose their virginity between the arrest and end of the interrogation, it would mean they were raped while in custody ...

flo
06-01-2011, 05:07 PM
i assume i am at the top of the "sweet" list?

Well, that goes without saying, rnc...:wink:

rearnakedchoke
06-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Well, that goes without saying, rnc...:wink:

:)

rockdawg21
06-02-2011, 12:02 AM
So, in other words, America is a pretty sweet place to live.

DonnaMaria
06-02-2011, 10:14 AM

True dat!:cool:

VCURamFan
06-02-2011, 11:24 AM

Amen!! :happydancing:

Spiritwalker
06-02-2011, 11:48 AM

DING DING DING... we have a Winna!!!!!

Tyburn
06-06-2011, 07:58 PM
I turn my back for two mins.... :ninja:

I cant understand why this thread is even here... Do we REALLY need a new thread for each time a woman is oppressed somewhere in the world? was it not enough to contain the jokes, and the bitching and moaning about the jokes in the same thread?

Any other Mod can feel free to merge these two threads...I would...but I cant remember how to do it :ashamed: