PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Murder Trail

BamaGrits84
05-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Has anyone been following the trail of Casey Anthony? I am so shocked at the opening statements from her attorney.

DEVELOPING: The defense attorney for a Florida mother charged with killing her 2-year-old daughter made a shocking claim Tuesday, telling a courtroom that the toddler drowned in a swimming pool and that her grandparents covered up the accident.

Defense attorney Jose Baez said Tuesday in opening statements that 25-year-old Casey Anthony loved her daughter and was a good mother.

Anthony, who is accused of first-degree murder, has pleaded not guilty and said a baby sitter kidnapped Caylee, who was missing for a month before the police were alerted by Casey's mother.

But Baez told an Orlando courtroom on Tuesday that Caylee never disappeared. He claims the child died in the family's swimming pool.

"How in the world can a mother wait 30 days before ever reporting her child missing, it's insane, it's bizarre…Well the answer is actually relatively simple. She never was missing. Caylee Anthony died on June 16, 2008, when she drowned in her family's swimming pool," Baez told the courtroom.

Casey Anthony, right, is on trial for the murder of her two-year-old daughter, Caylee, left.
He also said Anthony was abused by her father as a child and alleged that Casey's brother made advances toward her and was given a paternity test to see if he was Caylee's father.

All those secrets eventually led to the cover up of Caylee's drowning, Baez said.

Prosecutors, meanwhile, described Anthony as a deceptive, party-going woman who fed her parents and police a string of lies from the beginning.

Prosecutor Linda Drane-Burdick told jurors that Anthony's appearance as a hardworking single mother was false.

"Casey Anthony ... appeared to be ... a loving mother, trying to provide support for her daughter," Linda Drane-Burdick said. "But as the evidence in this case will show, that was an illusion."

Anthony is also charged with aggravated manslaughter of a child, aggravated child abuse and providing false information to law enforcement. If convicted, she could face the death penalty.

Prosecutors said in their opening statement that Caylee died from her murderer placing three pieces of duct tape over Caylee's mouth and nose.

Drane-Burdick offered a timeline of Casey Anthony's whereabouts based on cell phone records. The timeline stretched from the time Caylee was last seen by her grandparents on Father's Day on June 15, 2008, until her remains were discovered by a meter reader in woods near her home in December 2008. Jurors were shown images on a screen of a photo of Caylee taken on Father's Day alongside an image of the little girl's skeletal remains.

"It is time to tell the story of a little girl named Caylee," Drane Burdick said.

Drane Burdick asked jurors, between descriptions of how Casey Anthony spent her days shopping, visiting friends and hanging out with her boyfriend with no signs of her daughter, "Where is Caylee Marie Anthony?"

Caylee was allegedly last seen by Cindy Anthony on June 15, 2008, when she said the two visited a nursing home together. The toddler’s body was found six months later in swampy woods not far from the Orlando home she shared with her mother and grandparents – her tiny remains wrapped in a bag with a piece of duct tape found over the mouth of her skull.

Cindy Anthony reported the child as possibly missing to an Orange County Police dispatcher on July 15, 2008. Cindy asked that an officer be sent to her home to arrest her daughter for “stealing an auto” and money.

“I have someone here that I need to be arrested,” Cindy said in her first 911 call. “I have a possible missing child. I have a 3-year-old that’s been missing for a month.”

A second, more distressed phone call followed about an hour later in which Cindy claimed Casey said the girl was taken by a baby sitter.

“My daughter finally admitted that the baby sitter stole her,” Cindy said. “I found my daughter’s car today and it smells like there’s been a dead body in the damn car.”

Casey allegedly told investigators that she dropped her daughter off with a baby sitter named Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez on June 9, and never saw the two again. She said she didn’t notify police because she had been investigating the disappearance on her own and was scared, according to multiple press accounts.

But investigators say Casey told them lies from the beginning of the investigation – like claiming she worked at Universal Studios when she didn't. Pictures later surfaced that purportedly showed the young mother partying in the days after she claimed her daughter went missing.

Prosecutors say the evidence in the case against Casey is overwhelming.

Court documents released in November 2008, for example, show that someone searched the Internet in the Anthony home for phrases like “neck-breaking,” “shovel,” and “household weapons.” A law enforcement official said air samples showed a human body had once been held inside the trunk of Casey’s car. Traces of chloroform, a substance used to induce unconsciousness, were also detected inside the woman’s car, according to officials.

What’s more, Casey allegedly told fellow inmates at the Orange County Jail details about her daughter’s death that only authorities knew. She also said that she sometimes drugged Caylee when she wanted to go out and party, the inmates allege.

The trial is expected to last from six to eight weeks. Jurors were picked from Pinellas County on the Gulf Coast and transported to Orlando, where they are being sequestered during the trial.

It is in the comments I find the most intereset "I wish I could waterboard this B*."

Miss Foxy
05-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Are her idiot parents going to defend her against her newest lies?!!When I became a mother my parents both told me the grandkids come first and the day I mistreated them would be the day they took them from me..I would love to see her executed..Seriously.. Her baby was so cute..

atomdanger
05-24-2011, 10:28 PM
"How in the world can a mother wait 30 days before ever reporting her child missing, it's insane, it's bizarre…Well the answer is actually relatively simple. She never was missing.

For me that quote sums up your entire guilt.

NO ONE without something to hide would wait 30 days to report a child missing,
how absurd is that?

Play The Man
05-24-2011, 10:57 PM
I didn't think this murderess could sink any lower . . . I was wrong. Her parents have supported her in a misguided sense of love. She rewards them by accusing them of covering up a crime and accuses her father and brother of being incestuous child molesters. The sad part is, she just needs a single "O.J."-style foolish juror and she can force a hung jury. I wish I could be on her jury.:angry:

Bonnie
05-24-2011, 11:36 PM
I didn't think this murderess could sink any lower . . . I was wrong. Her parents have supported her in a misguided sense of love. She rewards them by accusing them of covering up a crime and accuses her father and brother of being incestuous child molesters. The sad part is, she just needs a single "O.J."-style foolish juror and she can force a hung jury. I wish I could be on her jury.:angry:

It's totally disgusting! She's totally disgusting! Now we know why her attorney was trying to get her parents barred from the courtroom. She shows traits of a sociopath and/or pychopath...I think really a pychopath. She definitely has no feelings or regard for anyone else except herself.

DonnaMaria
05-25-2011, 04:28 PM
It's heartbreaking. :cry: Hopefully justice will prevail.

Hopefully Jesus Himself is rocking that little baby in His arms. To have such a mother...........it's just heartbreaking.

Evil is in this world, we know this……..
but a mother who commits such an evil act………she is not human. She has no soul. :no:

Twinsmama
05-26-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm listening to the trial as I'm working and Casey's lawyer is terrible. He keeps repeating ?s that apparently the judge doesn't like because the judge has called him to the sidebar about 4 times already since i've been watching. He seems flustered and isn't sure what to ask. her attorney is trying to say that on june 24 when the dad made a claim to the police that his gas cans were taken he already knew they would be important in the investigation of the disappearance of the little girl. the judge wasn't having any of it. the states attorney keeps asking all the witnesses if casey said she had a job and what is was. she told everyone of them she worked at universal studios and was an event coordinator..... ughhh i want to go smack that girl.

on a side note it was said that they asked her brother if he could be caleys father and he didn't want to answer it at that time. that is puzzling.... (i didn't see that part i just read about it)

Miss Foxy
05-26-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm listening to the trial as I'm working and Casey's lawyer is terrible. He keeps repeating ?s that apparently the judge doesn't like because the judge has called him to the sidebar about 4 times already since i've been watching. He seems flustered and isn't sure what to ask. her attorney is trying to say that on june 24 when the dad made a claim to the police that his gas cans were taken he already knew they would be important in the investigation of the disappearance of the little girl. the judge wasn't having any of it. the states attorney keeps asking all the witnesses if casey said she had a job and what is was. she told everyone of them she worked at universal studios and was an event coordinator..... ughhh i want to go smack that girl.

on a side note it was said that they asked her brother if he could be caleys father and he didn't want to answer it at that time. that is puzzling.... (i didn't see that part i just read about it)
I hope the judge comes down hard on all of them. She is a narcisstic b*tch and how can anyone defend her!?!!It is very sad how so many single mothers will do anything to achieve a single life! I see it a lot and one thing that makes me pissed is these kids did not ask to be born they were born for a reason and before having some wild ideas of finding your "soul mate" they should see they have angel/angels that were heaven sent!

BamaGrits84
05-26-2011, 05:09 PM
When all this first started I remember her brother being the person she asked for repeatedly on the phone but in the one phone call I heard all she asked him was to call her boyfriend and had he (the brother) talked to tony (the boyfriend). Wow so they really asked if he was that baby's father?! And he didn't answer?! That is crazy! Is he trying to help her by painting a picture of a twister family knowing that if he sad he might be the father it would be perjury if he in fact had never had relations with her but that he could get away with not answering and that painting a picture that he is hiding something could help his sister.

Bonnie
05-26-2011, 05:58 PM

He doesn't have a real defense for her because there is none so he's gone to the gutter smearing her family hoping to make Casey look sympathetic. It's pathetic, and hopefully none of the jury will fall for any of this crap.

When all this first started I remember her brother being the person she asked for repeatedly on the phone but in the one phone call I heard all she asked him was to call her boyfriend and had he (the brother) talked to tony (the boyfriend). Wow so they really asked if he was that baby's father?! And he didn't answer?! That is crazy! Is he trying to help her by painting a picture of a twister family knowing that if he sad he might be the father it would be perjury if he in fact had never had relations with her but that he could get away with not answering and that painting a picture that he is hiding something could help his sister.

I realize they love their daughter and sister, but "helping" her in this way is wrong. I feel like her family has become her victims too, but they're helping her do this to them. It's just sad.

Twinsmama
05-26-2011, 07:09 PM
oh dang one of the ex boyfriend said he had only seen casey discipline caley was when she couldn't get her to go to sleep. he said she had problems getting her to go to sleep...

also ironic that most of the witnesses don't live in this state. i wonder if they all moved to get away or just a quinky dink?

BamaGrits84
05-26-2011, 07:09 PM
I realize they love their daughter and sister, but "helping" her in this way is wrong. I feel like her family has become her victims too, but they're helping her do this to them. It's just sad.

They aren't "helping" her at all. They are enabling her. She is highly deceptive. I bet she never got her butt tore up when she was a kid for lying.

Miss Foxy
05-26-2011, 07:12 PM
They aren't "helping" her at all. They are enabling her. She is highly deceptive. I bet she never got her butt tore up when she was a kid for lying.

Yup!! They have taken it past being a supportive loving family to her. Enabling her to go as far as she did is to me being an accomplice. NO ONE looked out for Caylee and that's pathetic!

BamaGrits84
05-26-2011, 07:14 PM
oh dang one of the ex boyfriend said he had only seen casey discipline caley was when she couldn't get her to go to sleep. he said she had problems getting her to go to sleep...

also ironic that most of the witnesses don't live in this state. i wonder if they all moved to get away or just a quinky dink?

is it on tv or how are you listening to it? i wish i could but I can't stream at work.

Twinsmama
05-26-2011, 07:41 PM
orlando sentinal online is streaming it. one of the girls she was hanging with said casey said "i'm such a good liar" after she hung the phone up from talking to someone. then she said that night she had an argument on the phone w/ her brother and was crying. casey was off and on the phone and crying off and on that night.....it sounds like the brother might know more than he is saying. if you ask me the whole familly is a wreck. she is getting cross examined right now.

dang how can i be addicting to listening to this crap. i hope they have looked into her whole family very good. couldn't they get copies of all the texts that were being sent?

billwilliams70
05-26-2011, 07:59 PM
She's a sickening individual that needs some help....both mentally and through Christ.

Later.

Twinsmama
05-26-2011, 09:16 PM
there is a link on the orlando sentinel page on the bottom right that you can read the letters from her mom and dad to her. i'm not gonna lie the way her dad is talking in them kinda creeps me out. he starts them w/ hey beautiful and says he needs to hear her voice for just a few minutes and misses her hugs. i know some families are not as reserved as mine but that just seems weird to me. and he keeps calling himself Pape Joe/Dad. weird.

BamaGrits84
05-26-2011, 09:34 PM
there is a link on the orlando sentinel page on the bottom right that you can read the letters from her mom and dad to her. i'm not gonna lie the way her dad is talking in them kinda creeps me out. he starts them w/ hey beautiful and says he needs to hear her voice for just a few minutes and misses her hugs. i know some families are not as reserved as mine but that just seems weird to me. and he keeps calling himself Pape Joe/Dad. weird.

i can't find it. will you paste it?

Miss Foxy
05-26-2011, 09:37 PM

Ewww that just sounds weird. I am the biggest daddys girl ever and when I got to a certain age my dad would not allow me to sit on his lap or anything like that.. The affection turned into a different affection as I matured. That stuff sounds gross!! I hate to pass judgement, but barf...

BamaGrits84
05-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Nevr mind I found them. How horrible would it be if all the people in that family agreed to set up letters and failing to answer questions about Lee being the baby's dad just to help this selfish B* get off for killing her child? I wouldn't put it past them and he POS attorney.

Bonnie
05-26-2011, 10:13 PM

We're on the same page with this Bama. What you said above is what I was basically saying. :)

BamaGrits84
05-26-2011, 10:55 PM
We're on the same page with this Bama. What you said above is what I was basically saying. :)

Yeah I know. I just had to throw in the spanking point because I spanked mine for lying a few days ago and it made me feel like a good mom seeing the deception Casey spews.

Bonnie
05-26-2011, 11:13 PM
I thought her mom and dad were on vacation when Caylee went missing so how can her attorney try to link him to what happened to Caylee? Remember when this first came out in the news and information started coming out--how Casey's cell phone showed she had made numerous calls trying to get in touch with her mom and dad? I believe that's the night Caylee died and she was frantically trying to get in touch with her mom and dad, but she never got ahold of them. I think that's when she decided to get rid of Caylee's body and came up with that story about the babysitter taking her.

I agree that her family is enabling her, but their goal may be to try and get her life in prison versus her getting the death penalty. The fact that they're willing to go along with this twisted defense is sick in itself. IMO

Twinsmama
05-31-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm watching the trial again and it is making me cry. they are playing audio of the mother calling 911. boy there is a lot more to this story than i knew. it actually doesn't seem like her mom or dad are trying to help her. the day that the mother called the cops casey was there and was talking to her brother when no one was around. he wanted to talk to her before the mother called police. i also find it so weird that the brothers name is lee and the little girl was spelled calee. only because he wouldn't answer the ? about whether he was the father or not. i'm sure they know who the father is...don't they know i need to know:laugh:

her mother called cops after casey wouldn't take her mom to see little calee. she said when she walked past the room she heard casey tell her brother that calee had been missing for 31 days. she called cops hysterical saying her daughter admitted the 3 year old had been missing for 31 days. the dispatch wanted to talk to casey and she was calm saying the reason she hadn't called the cops was because she was looking for her by herself using other resources.

i hope this woman rots in jail. if her brother is involved i hope they find out. scum like this doesn't deserve to live.

BamaGrits84
05-31-2011, 10:04 PM
I think 1 or 2 men came forward and said they thought Caylee might be their child. Then there was the man who met Casey while she was pregnant that wanted to marry her knowing she was pregnant with someone else's child. I wish I could remember his name but Cindy and Casey at one point acted like HE took the Caylee. How many more lives is this woman going to ruin? Her child, her mom, her dad, her brother, boys friends, some woman named Zanny she has never met, a meter man (and I did find him finding the body odd like maybe he knew more but I think he passed a lie detector).

billwilliams70
06-03-2011, 06:14 PM
http://www.wsmv.com/news/28117278/detail.html

(CNN) -- Casey Anthony responded sarcastically when her mother brought up a rumor that 2-year-old Caylee Anthony drowned in the family pool, according to a recording of a jailhouse conversation shown to jurors on Friday.

"Surprise, surprise," Anthony said of the rumor, which is now the primary defense theory in her capital murder trial in Orlando, Florida.

Although prosecutors say Anthony used chloroform on her daughter and then put duct tape on her nose and mouth to suffocate her, her attorneys say Caylee drowned in the family pool on June 16, 2008. They say Anthony and her father panicked and covered up the death.

George Anthony denied the claim during his testimony last week.

The videotaped exchange, during which Anthony became agitated with her parents as they pressed her for details of Caylee's whereabouts, is the latest in a series shown to jurors the past two days.

"We need to have something to go on," Cindy Anthony pleaded during the visit.

"Mom, I'm sorry. I don't have anything," Casey Anthony angrily replied. 'I've been here a month. Do you understand how I feel?"

In another video that opened the day's evidence, Anthony praised her parents and said she just wanted to be home with them and her daughter.

"I know we're going to see Caylee. I know she's coming home. I can feel it," Anthony said during the tearful visit recorded in 2008. Caylee was reported missing on July 15, a month after she was last seen by her family. Her skeletal remains were found in December of 2008 not far from the Anthony home.

Anthony, 25, is charged with seven counts in her death, including first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse and misleading police. If convicted, she could face the death penalty.

She has pleaded not guilty and denied harming her daughter or having anything to do with the little girl's disappearance.

The videos displayed Friday for jurors are the latest in a series introduced by prosecutors as evidence in the case.

On Thursday, jurors saw recordings of jail visits three years ago showing the suspect alternatively giggling, crying and saying her sole focus was finding her missing child.

"If you can speak to the media directly, my concern for me is Caylee," a tearful Anthony tells her brother, Lee Anthony, on July 25, 2008, from an Orange County jail.

"No one has said for me that I love my daughter, that I want her safety and that she and the rest of my family is my only concern. All I want is to see her again, to hear her laugh, to see her smile and to just be with our family. Nothing else matters to me at this point," she said.

The same day, her mother asks her during a visit, "Are you protecting Caylee? Are you protecting me?"

"I'm protecting our family, yes," Anthony replies. "Not from anything I've done."

"Is someone threatening us?" Cindy Anthony asks, then asks again after receiving no answer.

"Just leave it at that, please," her crying daughter replies, adding that she will write her and elaborate. The family was careful about what they discussed, mindful the conversations were being recorded.

During the jail visits shown Thursday, Anthony gives visitors information on the toddler in an effort to track down a nanny named Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez, saying she kidnapped the little girl.

After the first taped conversation between the suspect and her brother, the defense attorney moved for a mistrial, saying it had damaged his credibility. In the conversation, Lee Anthony told his sister that Baez might not pass along messages to her if he deemed it not in her best interest.

Orange County Chief Judge Belvin Perry Jr. denied that motion, saying Baez should have raised the issue months ago.

Earlier, jurors heard a tape of a police interview in which, under intense questioning, the suspect admits she had purposely misled investigators attempting to find Caylee, but maintains the little girl was kidnapped by Gonzalez.

In the interview, investigators pleaded with Anthony to tell the truth about what happened to Caylee.

"None of us are sitting here believing what you're saying because everything that's coming out of your mouth is a lie," Detective Yuri Melich told Anthony during the interview.

Another investigator accused her of not telling the truth.

"If the main thing you want to do is find your daughter, and you don't think lying to us is going to help find her, why would you do that?" investigator Sgt. John Allen asked on the tape.

"Because I'm scared and I -- I know I'm running out of options," Anthony said. "It's been a month. ... I'm scared of not seeing my daughter ever again."

She appeared to grow emotional at one point, after Melich and Allen left the room and Anthony spoke with Detective Appie Wells about Caylee. Later in the conversation, she giggles at a remark about the chairs being uncomfortable.

Later that day, after authorities failed to find Gonzalez in a Florida database, Anthony was arrested on suspicion of giving police false information, obstructing an investigation and child neglect.

Authorities found a woman named Zenaida Gonzalez, who denied ever meeting Casey Anthony or Caylee and later sued for defamation.

Earlier, prosecutors set about debunking Anthony's previous statements to her friends and family, presenting testimony that she never had a wealthy suitor named Jeffrey Michael Hopkins and she had not worked at Universal Studios since 2006, despite claims to the contrary.

A man named Jeff Hopkins testified that he knew Anthony from middle school, but denied that he dated her or introduced her to Gonzalez. Hopkins, 26, said his name wasn't Jeffrey Michael Hopkins -- the name Anthony had given as a wealthy suitor living in Jacksonville, Florida.

Leonard Turtora, assistant manager at Universal Studios, testified that he searched the Universal Studios database and found Anthony had not worked there since 2006 -- and even then worked for a third party on Universal property.

Another co-worker the suspect named did not appear in the database either.

Anthony had claimed to work as an event planner at Universal Studios until after Caylee was reported missing.

Prosecutors allege Anthony was not looking for her daughter during the month she was missing. Instead, she was staying with her boyfriend, spending time in Orlando with numerous friends, attending parties, going shopping and hitting nightclubs, including participating in a "hot body" contest, according to testimony.

Her former boyfriend, friends and acquaintances have all testified that she did not mention her daughter being missing during that time and that they noticed nothing different about her demeanor.

Anthony's defense team explains her behavior in the weeks following Caylee's death by saying she had been sexually abused by her father and had taught to conceal her pain. George Anthony has denied abusing his daughter.

Later.