PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Tornado

Primadawn
05-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Everyone see this on the news this morning? Devastating Cat 4 tornado ripped through Joplin, MO last night.

So far, 89 people are confirmed dead. Basically every single structure was destroyed, including the hospital. News reports are saying they had 20 minutes notice, but I have a connection at that hospital that said they had maybe 5 minutes, tops.

Even for those of us who grew up in tornado alley and have seen a lot of them, the images of this one are just astounding. Please pray for these people.

Spiritwalker
05-23-2011, 03:15 PM
yeah.. it's rough...

Twinsmama
05-23-2011, 03:21 PM
I woke up to the news some time in the middle of the night. My heart aches for these people. They said if it were during the week there would have been about an extra 200,000 people in the town (working, school, etc) I hope they find a lot more people that are missing but survived.

Primadawn
05-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Photo gallery:

http://www.ky3.com/news/wdaf-pictures-joplin-tornado-20110522,0,4887655.photogallery

DonnaMaria
05-23-2011, 03:30 PM
:sad: I will be praying for them.

Primadawn
05-23-2011, 03:33 PM
And some more:

http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-joplin-tornado-pictures,0,6027218.photogallery

So surreal. It literally looks like a war zone. Lots of fires now from gas leaks. :sad:

rockdawg21
05-23-2011, 07:31 PM
:sad:

Primadawn
05-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Joplin was due for a makeover anyways.

I'm sorry--I'm really not normally over-sensitive about tasteless jokes, really I'm not. But that was really not necessary.

People have lost everything they have--including their loved ones. I just saw a report about a newborn in the NICU that was killed.

If you have nothing constructive to say, don't bother to comment.

rockdawg21
05-23-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry--I'm really not normally over-sensitive about tasteless jokes, really I'm not. But that was really not necessary.

People have lost everything they have--including their loved ones. I just saw a report about a newborn in the NICU that was killed.

If you have nothing constructive to say, don't bother to comment.
Sorry, not trying to hurt anybody's feelings. Just trying to bring a little comedy into the tragedy. Of course, I feel bad for anybody who lost loved ones and possessions. Hopefully their home owner's insurance helps them get new homes.

Blade
05-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Joplin was due for a makeover anyways.

At least 116 people have died there you f*cking cretin.

rearnakedchoke
05-23-2011, 10:53 PM
that's some sad news right there ...

Bonnie
05-23-2011, 11:03 PM
He apologized. RockD aren't you from the mid-west originally? I've gone through hurricanes but so far no tornadoes, thankfully. They said the winds were as high as 198 mph and St. John's Hospital that was hit...papers and x-rays were carried straight up 18,000 feet. It's just incredible, the force of these tornadoes.

We were just watching the news and they were reporting from Joplin--terrible, just terrible. It does look like a war zone. My heart and prayers go out to all those touched by this. They said they're expecting another major storm system tomorrow from north central/north east Texas all the way up and across a wide area including those areas already hit hard.

matthughesfan21
05-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Joplin was due for a makeover anyways.Wow dude really?

Blade
05-23-2011, 11:20 PM
He apologized.

What are you, his frigging mom or something?

Bonnie
05-23-2011, 11:27 PM
What are you, his frigging mom or something?

Why are you always so grumpy?

rearnakedchoke
05-24-2011, 12:12 AM
i mean, what rockdawg said is no different than when there is a thread about an earthquake in haiti and people come in and say, oh, God did it cuz they are bad people ... if someone came into this thread and said "wow, i think God was trying to send a message" it would have started a ish storm ... anyone who knows rock knows he really cares about what the people are going through and although most people don't see the levity in what he said, he can't go and change the fact that people died in this tragedy ...

rockdawg21
05-24-2011, 01:02 AM
He apologized. RockD aren't you from the mid-west originally? I've gone through hurricanes but so far no tornadoes, thankfully. They said the winds were as high as 198 mph and St. John's Hospital that was hit...papers and x-rays were carried straight up 18,000 feet. It's just incredible, the force of these tornadoes.

We were just watching the news and they were reporting from Joplin--terrible, just terrible. It does look like a war zone. My heart and prayers go out to all those touched by this. They said they're expecting another major storm system tomorrow from north central/north east Texas all the way up and across a wide area including those areas already hit hard.
Yes Bonnie, I'm originally from Missouri so I'm used to the devastation from tornadoes. I've had friends lose loved ones and possessions so I just accept it happens/happened and go on. It's not that I'm being insensitive, but there really isn't anything I can do about it.

Thanks to rearnakedchoke for the comments! Of course I feel bad for those people!

Bonnie
05-24-2011, 01:30 AM
Yes Bonnie, I'm originally from Missouri so I'm used to the devastation from tornadoes. I've had friends lose loved ones and possessions so I just accept it happens/happened and go on. It's not that I'm being insensitive, but there really isn't anything I can do about it.

Thanks to rearnakedchoke for the comments! Of course I feel bad for those people!

Whose job is it to sound the alarm, Rock, when they know one is coming? They said people in the hospital said it was like 5 mins. from the alarm/warning 'til it hit. I don't think a lot of people had much time to respond before this one hit.

rockdawg21
05-24-2011, 02:01 AM
Whose job is it to sound the alarm, Rock, when they know one is coming? They said people in the hospital said it was like 5 mins. from the alarm/warning 'til it hit. I don't think a lot of people had much time to respond before this one hit.
Not sure about Joplin, but in my hometown, the town siren is located at City Hall. From my experience, 5 minutes is actually quite early if it is a true warning rather than hearing about the town that's 15 miles away and got hit (which puts you on "watch" rather than a "warning"), as if the tornado may not disappear or change directions. For a single family, that's plenty of time to grab goods (which many people already have in a storm shelter) or head to a friends' basement. Typically, we just follow the rule if a big storm is heading our direction and there's a possibility of tornadoes, my mom went to her dad's basement and I'd go to my uncle's basement and play video games/shoot pool, lol

As for a hospital, I have no idea how one would prepare for a tornado coming toward it. You certainly couldn't get everybody moved in time to best prevent injuries.

Chris F
05-24-2011, 05:29 AM
rockdawg did not say anything the people of Joplin have not said themselves. In fact I have friends in the area because I went to college in the area and lived in Springfield for a long time and they said the very same thing and they lost everything. People deal with grief differently so we should be slower to judge how one handles these things and worry about are own laundry on the clothes line. It was horrible and sadly many died. LEts pray for those rebuilding and weep for those who were lost.

Llamafighter
05-24-2011, 12:25 PM

I heard somewhere that the torm was so loud that it was actually drowning out the sound of the warning alarm.

Just terrible...

DonnaMaria
05-24-2011, 03:06 PM
All the natural disasters lately…..around the world……..unbelievable…..:cry:

I don’t buy into the ”global warming” thing……but it does give one pause……..:unsure-1:

I’ve never been so thankful for just plain old hot, miserable, muggy, rainy weather before. :ashamed:It could be so much worse. It IS so much worse for so many people. :cry:

BamaGrits84
05-24-2011, 06:50 PM
I just looked at the pictures and all I can say it WOW. Not knowing that area makes it hard to know for sure, but it seems like this one was even worse than Tuscaloosa. Like maybe it covered a wider area. Did it just hit that one town or were there other areas that got hit in the state? James Spann is a big name in weather in our state and on the radio Monday he said there was about a 20 minute warning but he heard from an affiliate's interviews a few people saying "i didn't even hear the sirens." Unfortunately people count on outdoor sirens to alert them when they shouldn't. These were installed in the 60s to notify people who were outdoors. They were never designed to alert people inside buildings.

Primadawn
05-24-2011, 07:22 PM
It is the single most deadly tornado in US history. Death toll was 117 as of this morning, surpassing the former record of 116 and they think there are many many more to come.
Some of the stories that have come out are just mind-boggling. It really and truly puts your life in perspective. Things that were such a big deal to me a few days ago, I realize are completely meaningless. It can all be gone in a heartbeat.

I'm so proud of my state and country though--donations are pouring in from all over-both money and items. I went through my couponing stockpile closet for personal care items--was able to donate tons of toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, razors,etc. It felt good to do "something", but I watch the images on TV and I just want to go get some of those people and bring them home with me! :sad:

Chuck
05-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Wow! I actually just heard about this today.. it's unbelievable... I hope FEMA does it's job and helps those people soon. :huh:

rockdawg21
05-25-2011, 02:50 PM
I heard somewhere that the torm was so loud that it was actually drowning out the sound of the warning alarm.

Just terrible...
This is definitely possible. The wind can be enough to change the sound waves produced by the sirens.

Also, has anybody ever heard a tornado up close? Even a F1 sounds like a freight train running on the ground. This one was probably an F4 so it probably sounded like a stampede of freight trains and far louder than a rock concert.

Primadawn
05-25-2011, 05:10 PM
This is definitely possible. The wind can be enough to change the sound waves produced by the sirens.

Also, has anybody ever heard a tornado up close? Even a F1 sounds like a freight train running on the ground. This one was probably an F4 so it probably sounded like a stampede of freight trains and far louder than a rock concert.

It was originally classified as an F4, but has been upgraded to an F5. Winds over 200 mph. When you look at the pics, it's just mind-boggling. To see how much damage was done--my goodness. I had to stop watching some of the coverage last night because it was just heartbreaking.

VCURamFan
05-25-2011, 06:27 PM
It was originally classified as an F4, but has been upgraded to an F5. Winds over 200 mph. When you look at the pics, it's just mind-boggling. To see how much damage was done--my goodness. I had to stop watching some of the coverage last night because it was just heartbreaking.
Agreed. A lot of times I find myself flipping past news like this because it makes me feel so helpless. It's a horrible tragedy & there's nothing I can do to help them.

Primadawn
05-25-2011, 09:15 PM
My hospital locked down for about 2 hours this afternoon under tornado warnings. Nat'l Weather Service called and said the storm system looked very much like the one from Joplin--tornadoes spotted and touching down all around us, but everyone's ok here so far.

My 13 year old was on a field trip in St Louis--they headed back and stopped in Eureka to seek shelter--no further word.

My other kids are locked down at school still...they'll keep them there til it's safe to release.

Hospital got the all clear about 25 minutes ago. Whew! Scary!

Miss Foxy
05-25-2011, 09:16 PM
My hospital locked down for about 2 hours this afternoon under tornado warnings. Nat'l Weather Service called and said the storm system looked very much like the one from Joplin--tornadoes spotted and touching down all around us, but everyone's ok here so far.

My 13 year old was on a field trip in St Louis--they headed back and stopped in Eureka to seek shelter--no further word.

My other kids are locked down at school still...they'll keep them there til it's safe to release.

Hospital got the all clear about 25 minutes ago. Whew! Scary!

My prayers are with you and your family!! My family in North Richland Hills,TX were under advisory last night nothing to what your experiencing though.. :sad: Truly sad and worried for everyone. I am a highly emotional person and I can't watch the news.:cry:

Twinsmama
05-25-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm so sorry to hear the bad weather is still going on! hope it passes quickly!!

rockdawg21
05-26-2011, 04:03 AM
My prayers are with you and your family!! My family in North Richland Hills,TX were under advisory last night nothing to what your experiencing though.. :sad: Truly sad and worried for everyone. I am a highly emotional person and I can't watch the news.:cry:
Amazingly, my coworker lives in McKinney, TX but we were in Abilene last night. His neighbor got a great photo of the tornado and posted it on the internet. He showed it to me last night. Wasn't big yet, but did cause the sirens to go off in that area.

Primadawn
05-26-2011, 03:07 PM
A co-worker got a cell phone pic of a funnel cloud directly over the hospital yesterday. We were inside in interior hallways and had no idea--didn't hear it or anything. It was up high though--never touched down. Scary to know that it came that close.
There were funnels spotted all over Missouri yesterday, but thankfully, only a few touched down and there was minimal damage. More damage in Sedalia where one touched down, but nowhere near the one in Joplin, where the death toll now stands at 125. :cry:

Miss Foxy
05-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Amazingly, my coworker lives in McKinney, TX but we were in Abilene last night. His neighbor got a great photo of the tornado and posted it on the internet. He showed it to me last night. Wasn't big yet, but did cause the sirens to go off in that area.

:sad: Be safe out there!!

Miss Foxy
05-26-2011, 03:23 PM
A co-worker got a cell phone pic of a funnel cloud directly over the hospital yesterday. We were inside in interior hallways and had no idea--didn't hear it or anything. It was up high though--never touched down. Scary to know that it came that close.
There were funnels spotted all over Missouri yesterday, but thankfully, only a few touched down and there was minimal damage. More damage in Sedalia where one touched down, but nowhere near the one in Joplin, where the death toll now stands at 125. :cry:

Glad to hear you and your family are ok. I appreciate the updates you give us.

rockdawg21
05-26-2011, 09:49 PM

Noticed nobody mentioned they've heard a tornado up close.

If you can plug it into your home audio with a subwoofer, this one has pretty decent audio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHAYYJwbayU

Just to give you a visual, here's one that's likely an EF1 (86-110 mph) or EF2 (111-135 mph) that destroyed a house without even making direct contact:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Q1sU8rD2Q&

An EF5 like the one that hit Joplin is 200+ mph and that one was 1/2 mile wide (which is actually pretty small for an EF5). The ease with which these things destroy is just unreal.

Primadawn
05-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Noticed nobody mentioned they've heard a tornado up close.

If you can plug it into your home audio with a subwoofer, this one has pretty decent audio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHAYYJwbayU

Just to give you a visual, here's one that's likely an EF1 (86-110 mph) or EF2 (111-135 mph) that destroyed a house without even making direct contact:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Q1sU8rD2Q&

An EF5 like the one that hit Joplin is 200+ mph and that one was 1/2 mile wide (which is actually pretty small for an EF5). The ease with which these things destroy is just unreal.

I have heard one up close--but it's been a long time. The worst tornado I remember being in was in the mid to late 70's--I was 7 or 8 and my siblings and I were at our community pool. We had very little warning but they got us all in the shower/locker rooms. They didn't have doors on them though, and we could see outside. Everything looked a weird green color and it was raining and the wind was blowing....then it all just seemed to stop for a few seconds and then it turned instantly black and we heard it--when people say it sounds like a freight train-they're exactly right-there were even kids asking if that was a train.
We never saw the funnel, as it actually passed behind the building--where there were no windows or doors, but we could see all kinds of stuff blowing high up into the air and then out in a rotation. Debris starting blowing into the locker rooms and we all booked it into the shower section--basically just part of the room that was partitioned off with a cinder-block wall. I was one of the last to go back there--I was sort of mesmerized, but I got hit by a jagged rock that blew in, so that woke me up and I hauled my hiney back there in a hurry!:laugh:
It was scary--I had never been afraid of storms prior to that, but afterwards, if it so much as thundered, I was petrified. It took a long time to get over it.

We still talk about that storm in my family frequently--as a "funny" story actually. My dad was working nights at the time, so he had been home. My mom was at a conference for work out of town. One of our cars was in the shop having some repairs done and the other one was at the work conference with my mom. So my dad had to come get us in a beautiful '62 Pontiac convertible that he had just finished restoring and had just come back from paint the week before. He was sputtering and cursing the whole way home--dodging tree limbs, just sure that his precious baby would get scratched! :laugh:

rockdawg21
05-27-2011, 02:46 PM
I have heard one up close--but it's been a long time. The worst tornado I remember being in was in the mid to late 70's--I was 7 or 8 and my siblings and I were at our community pool. We had very little warning but they got us all in the shower/locker rooms. They didn't have doors on them though, and we could see outside. Everything looked a weird green color and it was raining and the wind was blowing....then it all just seemed to stop for a few seconds and then it turned instantly black and we heard it--when people say it sounds like a freight train-they're exactly right-there were even kids asking if that was a train.
We never saw the funnel, as it actually passed behind the building--where there were no windows or doors, but we could see all kinds of stuff blowing high up into the air and then out in a rotation. Debris starting blowing into the locker rooms and we all booked it into the shower section--basically just part of the room that was partitioned off with a cinder-block wall. I was one of the last to go back there--I was sort of mesmerized, but I got hit by a jagged rock that blew in, so that woke me up and I hauled my hiney back there in a hurry!:laugh:
It was scary--I had never been afraid of storms prior to that, but afterwards, if it so much as thundered, I was petrified. It took a long time to get over it.

We still talk about that storm in my family frequently--as a "funny" story actually. My dad was working nights at the time, so he had been home. My mom was at a conference for work out of town. One of our cars was in the shop having some repairs done and the other one was at the work conference with my mom. So my dad had to come get us in a beautiful '62 Pontiac convertible that he had just finished restoring and had just come back from paint the week before. He was sputtering and cursing the whole way home--dodging tree limbs, just sure that his precious baby would get scratched! :laugh:
LOL, yeah, sounds like a familiar story!

I remember the first storm that came through and started the Flood of '93 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mississippi_and_Missouri_Rivers_Flood_of_199 3). My brother and I were standing on the side porch of our house and there was an extreme calmness late in the afternoon as it approached. We were just watching this endless, super-tall wall of curled green, which indicates hail, cumulonimbi clouds. I went inside to see what The Weather Channel was showing on the radar and all that I saw for about 1 second before the power cut out was a MASSIVE DARK RED SPOT that COMPLETELY COVERED southeast Nebraska, southwest Iowa, northeast Kansas, and northwest Missouri. I ran outside to tell my brother and the first gust hit u; it shot my brother all the chairs and the bbq grille completely off the porch. My brother couldn't run back to the side porch so he had to go in through the front door.

We just sat there on the opposite-winded side of the house (where fortunately our living room was) watching all of the debris fly and eventually my mom's boyfriend showed up and he had to enter through the front door because the wind was too strong too, lol. For many hours, we just sat there and watched outside until it was too dark to see anymore. We just lit candles and played cards.

The next day, I went and played with one of my friends. Big Creek which runs on the outskirts of town is usually a few inches to 3 feet deep in most areas and 10-20 yards wide was at least 25 feet over normal and miles wide. Outside of town, there were multiple tornadoes that hit families homes. The most memorable thing that happened was a grain silo was moved on top of a machine shed, lol

The Missouri River eventually became more than 100 miles wide in areas when it is normally about 3/8 of a mile wide in Missouri.

Just to give an idea of the flooding, here are before/after satellite pics:
http://probaway.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/miss_floods.jpg

CAVEMAN
05-27-2011, 03:29 PM
LOL, yeah, sounds like a familiar story!

I remember the first storm that came through and started the Flood of '93 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mississippi_and_Missouri_Rivers_Flood_of_199 3). My brother and I were standing on the side porch of our house and there was an extreme calmness late in the afternoon as it approached. We were just watching this endless, super-tall wall of curled green, which indicates hail, cumulonimbi clouds. I went inside to see what The Weather Channel was showing on the radar and all that I saw for about 1 second before the power cut out was a MASSIVE DARK RED SPOT that COMPLETELY COVERED southeast Nebraska, southwest Iowa, northeast Kansas, and northwest Missouri. I ran outside to tell my brother and the first gust hit u; it shot my brother all the chairs and the bbq grille completely off the porch. My brother couldn't run back to the side porch so he had to go in through the front door.

We just sat there on the opposite-winded side of the house (where fortunately our living room was) watching all of the debris fly and eventually my mom's boyfriend showed up and he had to enter through the front door because the wind was too strong too, lol. For many hours, we just sat there and watched outside until it was too dark to see anymore. We just lit candles and played cards.

The next day, I went and played with one of my friends. Big Creek which runs on the outskirts of town is usually a few inches to 3 feet deep in most areas and 10-20 yards wide was at least 25 feet over normal and miles wide. Outside of town, there were multiple tornadoes that hit families homes. The most memorable thing that happened was a grain silo was moved on top of a machine shed, lol

The Missouri River eventually became more than 100 miles wide in areas when it is normally about 3/8 of a mile wide in Missouri.

Just to give an idea of the flooding, here are before/after satellite pics:
http://probaway.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/miss_floods.jpg

I live in Grafton IL........the small rivertown made famous during the flood of 93.:laugh: The town of Grafton sits right where the Mississippi river and the Illinois river join.....so you can imagine!

That year, the rains received in our area and north of us were unreal. I remember hearing reports of 5-7inches of rainfall per hour.:scared0011:
I also remember seeing actual waterfalls coming off the bluffs.

Primadawn
05-27-2011, 04:42 PM
I live in Grafton IL........the small rivertown made famous during the flood of 93.:laugh: The town of Grafton sits right where the Mississippi river and the Illinois river join.....so you can imagine!

That year, the rains received in our area and north of us were unreal. I remember hearing reports of 5-7inches of rainfall per hour.:scared0011:
I also remember seeing actual waterfalls coming off the bluffs.

I remember the flood of 93 too! That year, a friend of mine was Miss Missouri, and we went to Atlantic City to the Miss America pageant to cheer her on. The day before the pageant, there's a parade of the contestants in convertibles and the "thing" is that they all hold up a shoe, that's supposed to be decorated to represent their state. My friend Miss Missouri held up a black hip-wader emblazoned with "Flood '93" in bright yellow sequins!:laugh:

Chuck
05-30-2011, 05:30 AM
I might be leading a team of guys from my church going to Joplin on June 9th to help out.

I'll keep you posted.

DonnaMaria
05-31-2011, 02:18 AM
I might be leading a team of guys from my church going to Joplin on June 9th to help out.

I'll keep you posted.

That is awesome Chuck!
:)