PDA

View Full Version : Mask from tapout dead?

matthughesfan21
03-11-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm not a big fan of tapout or how they act on the show, but this is still a really sad story, prayers are with his family

Mask From Tapout Believed Dead After Car Crash

Photo_tiny by Luke Thomas on Mar 11, 2009 2:45 PM EDT in News Comment 13 comments

41_sm_medium

It appears he may have died in tthis car accident. Sources on the UG say they've confirmed Mask's death here and here. More to come.

From the LA Times:

A bizarre car crash in Newport Beach involving two luxury cars early this morning left one person dead, a second injured, a third arrested for gross vehicular manslaughter and a fourth person was detained by police long enough to sober up.

A Newport Beach Police Department officer allegedly witnessed the wreck and saw a red Ferrari and a white Porsche "spinning out of control" on Jamboree Road between Bison Avenue and East Bluff Drive at 12:57 a.m., Newport Beach Lt. Craig Fox said. The Ferrari "hit the curb and then collided with a pole." The Porsche came to a stop at the scene for a few seconds and then sped away, Fox said.

"It was terrible. It was extensive damage to the vehicle," Fox said, adding that the Ferrari appeared to have split in half.

An unidentified man in the Ferrari was pronounced dead. A woman in the car was ejected during the accident and taken to a hospital, where she was in stable condition, Fox said. He said police have not yet determined which one was driving and which one was the passenger.

13 comments | 0 recs | Digg!

County Mike
03-11-2009, 07:37 PM
That's crazy. Hope it's a made up story. Where did you get it?

matthughesfan21
03-11-2009, 07:39 PM
its all over...

http://www.keepersofthecage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=77408#post77408

http://www.ringleaderfightnews.com/mma/2009/03/11/breaking-news-tapout-crew-member-mask-may-have-died-early-morning-car-crash

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/local/Speeding_Ferrari_Crashes_Pole_Driver_Killed

http://www.tmz.com/2009/03/11/tapout-owner-dies-in-horrific-ferrari-crash/

matthughesfan21
03-11-2009, 07:41 PM
the myfoxla link doesn't release a name, but the story matches that of the other links that do say it is Mask...on the myfoxla link look at the car to the left in the video...It is literallly split down the middle

Llamafighter
yeah I hope it's bogus. lets wait for confirmation.

atomdanger
Wow, he must have been going fast.

The guy seemed to really care about fighters and mma, huge loss.

Miss Foxy
03-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I checked those stories and they look legit. Sucks. I live not too far from the TAP OUT warehouse... Been there a few times..

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 07:43 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2009/03/11/tapout-owner-dies-in-horrific-ferrari-crash/

Looks a little official to me

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2009/03/0311_tapout_fox_video.jpg

matthughesfan21
03-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Wow, he must have been going fast.

The guy seemed to really care about fighters and mma, huge loss.he was street racing, a ferrari and a porsche..I'd assume they were going fast

Miss Foxy
03-11-2009, 07:46 PM
he was street racing, a ferrari and a porsche..I'd assume they were going fast Not to be mean, but rather him gone than an innocent person that was not racing. When are people gonna learn.. Its a shame and im in no way trying to be mean.:sad:

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 07:47 PM
he was street racing, a ferrari and a porsche..I'd assume they were going fast

Oh i know, I looked at the picture of the ferrari and thought wow,
they must have really been going, sad too.

Does anybody remember the episode of tapout where they were racing high end cars on the freeway???

Clearly a habit of theirs.

J.B.
03-11-2009, 07:47 PM
That's very sad. :cry:

Keeping the family and friends in my prayers.

matthughesfan21
03-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Oh i know, I looked at the picture of the ferrari and thought wow,
they must have really been going, sad too.

Does anybody remember the episode of tapout where they were racing high end cars on the freeway???

Clearly a habit of theirs.both cars spun out reportedly, but the porsche stopped in the road and drove off, and the ferrari hit a pole, I'm surprised his passenger is still alive after seeing that car in two separate pieces

Spiritwalker
03-11-2009, 07:52 PM
:scared0015: ......................... damn

Bonnie
03-11-2009, 08:07 PM
That is sad! My prayers are with the families of everyone involved.

They have street racing here (a lot) usually involving teenagers and usually ends tragically also. :cry:

Blmfighter
03-11-2009, 08:13 PM
It is right, he died. I'm a TapouT fan and I think they did a lot for MMA and the UFC!

lc87
03-11-2009, 08:26 PM
I have lots of tapout stuff too so its sad to see him go.

But being that rich and doing stupid stuff doesn't make sense. You know if he wanted to he could probabally bought track time and raced legaly. I know at the kansas speedway they have drag racing where its all legal and they provide helmets and stuff to you.

Irish Pride
03-11-2009, 08:35 PM
"Newport Beach officers later spotted the Porsche and stopped its passengers, a male and female, who were seen walking away from the vehicle.

Upon further investigation officers determined that the male, Jeffrey David Kirby, a 51-year-old resident of Costa Mesa, Calif., was the driver of the vehicle.

Kirby was arrested for gross vehicular manslaughter and taken to the Newport Beach Police Department. The female passenger, Lynn Marie Nabozny, a 32-year-old resident of Newport Beach, was arrested for public intoxication and released Wednesday morning."

Why was Kirby arrested? He gets gross vehicular manslaughter for racing someone on the road without hitting/touching the other car or another human being? :unsure-1:

lc87
03-11-2009, 08:39 PM
I think Since he was involved in the accident he can be charged with it. They may not have touched but they were racing. Im not sure on that though.

Crisco
03-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Wow... Matt if your reading this I know you were friends with him at some point if not still...

Your one of the few people here that actually knows him so I'm sorry for your friend..

I'll pray for his family he seemed like a decent enough fellow.

Moose
03-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Why was Kirby arrested? He gets gross vehicular manslaughter for racing someone on the road without hitting/touching the other car or another human being? :unsure-1:

The state often assumes the role of the victim in a sense if the victim in this case is deceased. This prevents a person from murdering his neighbor, and then not getting into trouble because the family/neighborhood didn't like him and chose not to press charges.

Either way, stupid way to go.

NateR
03-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Not to be mean, but rather him gone than an innocent person that was not racing. When are people gonna learn.. Its a shame and im in no way trying to be mean.:sad:

I totally agree with that. While it's a tragedy that he died, it's better than having killed some innocent bystanders who weren't breaking the law at the time.

Blmfighter
03-11-2009, 08:56 PM
You guys are right, the other person in the car made the desision to get in the car with him after he was drinking.

We all have done dumb things however when we do it is no one else's fault but ours.

que
03-11-2009, 09:07 PM
it is sad he died but that is what happens when you mix speeding with street racing with alcohol. it's terrible that people have to die for such stupid reasons

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 10:42 PM
http://www.tapout.com/

DEAREST FRIENDS AND FAMILY
It is with heavy hearts and great sadness that we must regretfully confirm the passing of our beloved friend, brother and co-founder Charles "Mask" Lewis following a car accident that occurred last night. We are currently in the process of setting up a memorial service in his honor and will release more details as they become available.

Many thanks to all for the outpouring of blessings and well-wishes during this incredibly difficult time.

J.B.
03-11-2009, 11:33 PM
The report I read said the other guy was arrested for vehicular manslaughter and he was DUI. I also read that they are not sure they were actually racing. Nothing I read said that there were any signs that Mask had been drinking. Obviously it's not out of the question, but before people start making assumptions maybe we should wait for all the facts to come out.

That happens a lot around these parts

Tyburn
03-12-2009, 01:07 AM
what do you mean? I thought it was a car accident...I didnt realize he'd been racing cars...I assume he shouldnt have been racing them...or was it like in sport...I dunno :unsure-1:

Jeff Currans pretty upset about it :sad:

MattHughesRocks
03-12-2009, 01:16 AM
I'd just say it was all speculation for right now. They may have taken that guy to jail but it doesnt mean it was for sure his fault.That's what the courts are for. Besides, I'm sure there are somethings we just don't know yet.

atomdanger
03-12-2009, 01:43 AM
The report I read said the other guy was arrested for vehicular manslaughter and he was DUI. I also read that they are not sure they were actually racing. Nothing I read said that there were any signs that Mask had been drinking. Obviously it's not out of the question, but before people start making assumptions maybe we should wait for all the facts to come out.

That happens a lot around these parts

The sherriff said there were signs of excessive speeding.

What would you call it when two cars are speeding next to one another?
racing.

Neezar
03-12-2009, 02:14 AM

Not only did he hit the other car he left the scene of an accident. That would be another added charge around here and would take the punishment to a different level.

The police officer who witnessed the crash reported seeing the Porsche driving next to the Ferrari on Jamboree Road, near Eastbluff Drive, according to the Newport Beach Police Department. The two cars appeared to spin out of control, possibly after colliding, police said.

The Ferrari jumped the curb and then slammed into the light pole. The officer reported seeing the Porsche stop briefly, and then drive away, police said.

Police found a white Porsche with moderate collision damage a few blocks away, and stopped a man and woman who were walking away from it. They later identified the man as Kirby. They arrested his passenger, Lynn Marie Nabozny, 32, of Newport Beach, on suspicion of public intoxication; she was later released.

I still can't believe he drove away! :frantics:

J.B.
03-12-2009, 02:22 AM
The sherriff said there were signs of excessive speeding.

What would you call it when two cars are speeding next to one another?
racing.

Cars speed along side of each other on the highway and interstate all the time, they are not always racing.

I also did not say they definitely were not racing, I just said that the report I saw said they did not know that for a fact. Watch the video in this link from a post on Yahoo. The cop at the end even says they do not know for sure that they were racing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Mask-from-Tapout-killed-in-car-crash;_ylt=AqkmllYYinWWEfhs5_bm5fk9Eo14?urn=mma,14 7397

atomdanger
03-12-2009, 02:25 AM
Cars speed along side of each other on the highway and interstate all the time, they are not always racing.

I also did not say they definitely were not racing, I just said that the report I saw said they did not know that for a fact. Watch the video in this link from a post on Yahoo. The cop at the end even says they do not know for sure that they were racing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Mask-from-Tapout-killed-in-car-crash;_ylt=AqkmllYYinWWEfhs5_bm5fk9Eo14?urn=mma,14 7397

Well, an interstate is one thing,
a back road in Newport Beach is another.

Even if they weren't racing, they were certainly exceeding the speed limit next to one another.

That sounds pretty close to racing to me,
most likely they were trying to see who could go faster,
get somewhere first, etc...

They did this on an episode of tapout in nice ass cars,
it isn't a stretch to think he would do it on a night out.

Huge loss, but it isn't a stretch to say they were racing.

J.B.
03-12-2009, 04:22 AM

Even if they weren't racing, they were certainly exceeding the speed limit next to one another.

I never said it WAS a stretch to think they were racing. Not at all. It also hardly looks like a back-road. It appears to be a four lane divided highway.

Regardless, what I said was that all to often assumptions are made before all the facts come out. Not even so much with the racing, but with thinking that Mask was drunk. Although it's not out of the question, we don't know that for sure at this time.

MattHughesRocks
03-12-2009, 04:38 AM
This is from the OCR

Police arrested the driver of another car, a white 1977 Porsche, on suspicion of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated. An on-duty officer reported seeing that driver, Jeffrey David Kirby, 51, of Costa Mesa, flee the scene after his Porsche was involved in the crash.

Kirby has a history of driving violations, including a 2002 conviction for driving under the influence, court and Department of Motor Vehicle records show. He was being held in lieu of $2 million bail.

The police officer who witnessed the crash reported seeing the Porsche driving next to the Ferrari on Jamboree Road, near Eastbluff Drive, according to the Newport Beach Police Department. The two cars appeared to spin out of control, possibly after colliding, police said.

The Ferrari jumped the curb and then slammed into the light pole. The officer reported seeing the Porsche stop briefly, and then drive away, police said.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/newport-beach-car-2331515-ferrari-passenger

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 04:49 AM
i didn't read it so does anyone know if he was wearing a seatbelt?

MattHughesRocks
03-12-2009, 05:11 AM
I don't think it said...or even mattered...:sad:

que
03-12-2009, 05:34 AM
i didn't read it so does anyone know if he was wearing a seatbelt?
no one knows yet... everything in that front seat area was completely destroyed

once his fiance comes around she will probably tell the story of what happened. that is, if she even remembers it

atomdanger
03-12-2009, 05:38 AM
I never said it WAS a stretch to think they were racing. Not at all. It also hardly looks like a back-road. It appears to be a four lane divided highway.

Regardless, what I said was that all to often assumptions are made before all the facts come out. Not even so much with the racing, but with thinking that Mask was drunk. Although it's not out of the question, we don't know that for sure at this time.

A divider in a road doesn't make it a highway.

http://i40.tinypic.com/5knbdk.jpg

que
03-12-2009, 05:45 AM
it isn't a stretch to say they were racing.
no it's not at all, and i don't think it is disrespectful to his memory to assume so either. in fact, all facts point to it.

let's look at the facts here

we have two high end cars together at 1 in the morning... a ferrari and a porsche

the ferrari was cut in half... the porsche runs from the scene

the porsche driver is intoxicated

the cop who witnessed the crash said they were driving very fast and saw them both spin out

yeah. they were racing. and if they weren't racing then they were at least speeding and someone made a mistake and lost control. either way they were going too fast and being idiots and they both paid/will pay dearly for it.

atomdanger
03-12-2009, 05:47 AM
no it's not at all, and i don't think it is disrespectful to his memory to assume so either. in fact, all facts point to it.

let's look at the facts here

we have two high end cars together at 1 in the morning... a ferrari and a porsche

the ferrari was cut in half... the porsche runs from the scene

the porsche driver is intoxicated

the cop who witnessed the crash said they were driving very fast and saw them both spin out

yeah. they were racing. and if they weren't racing then they were at least speeding and someone made a mistake and lost control. either way they were going too fast and being idiots.

Yeah, we even have mask on video racing in an episode of tapout.

*shrug*

its very sad, but hopefully some people who feel like racing fast is a great idea will think twice next time. I am sad to hear about his loss

J.B.
03-12-2009, 06:18 AM
A divider in a road doesn't make it a highway.

Okay whatever. The term "divided highway" is one commonly used when a road has a divider in the center and is separated into 4 or more lanes. A divider in the road certainly suggests it's more than just a back-road.

Psykojojo
03-12-2009, 06:31 AM
I met Mask in vegas and he was an awesome guy. The tapout crew has helped the sport tremendously by supporting so many fighters at the amatuer level.

adios amigo, you'll be missed

May God be with his family and friends

MMeh
03-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Definitely praying for his family and friends in this difficult time. Hopefully, they can find some peace and get through this, losing someone so unexpectedly is never easy.

County Mike
03-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Bad news indeed - regardless of who was killed, but definitely sad to see someone who really did a lot to help promote MMA go down.

RIP Charles Lewis

Crisco
03-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Racing or not sorry to see him go.

I hope his fiance recovers.

Things happen for a reason God has a plan.

At this point the best we can hope for is that he was saved in his heart...

Chuck
03-12-2009, 02:02 PM

:sign0003:

You really will argue anything won't you?? Just for the sake of :stirthepot:

You really think a guy in a $340,000 Ferrari needed to test himself against a 1977 Porsche?

I'm guessing you've never owned a really nice sports car then. I haven't either :wink: I do have a good friend though that has a nice NSX with a few mods on it. Every time, EVERY TIME we go out in that car guys in other cars come up and challenge us. We were doing about 90mph on I-5 coming home from Seattle one night and we must have had 3-4 cars come up, pace us, try to get us to race then go off. I have no doubt that people seeing us thought we were racing due to our speed. But we never were.

I'll make an assumption this time...

How about Mask was out playing in his car, probably speeding like we ALL would if we owned a Ferrari and idiot drunk guy with multiple driving offenses tries to race with him or challenge him, loses control of his car, hits the Ferrari then flees the scene....

How's that?

lc87
03-12-2009, 04:40 PM
I had an 2004 mazda rx8 with lots of performance upgrades and the only time I ever spead was while passing. Sometimes you just have to have common sense and self control. Did I ever want to open it up? Ya but I always did it legally at the high school drag races in kansas city. If your gonna do it do it safe.

County Mike
03-12-2009, 05:37 PM

You really think a guy in a $340,000 Ferrari needed to test himself against a 1977 Porsche?

I'm guessing you've never owned a really nice sports car then. I haven't either :wink: I do have a good friend though that has a nice NSX with a few mods on it. Every time, EVERY TIME we go out in that car guys in other cars come up and challenge us. We were doing about 90mph on I-5 coming home from Seattle one night and we must have had 3-4 cars come up, pace us, try to get us to race then go off. I have no doubt that people seeing us thought we were racing due to our speed. But we never were.

How about Mask was out playing in his car, probably speeding like we ALL would if we owned a Ferrari and idiot drunk guy with multiple driving offenses tries to race with him or challenge him, loses control of his car, hits the Ferrari then flees the scene....

How's that?

That sounds like a pretty good possibility to me. It's definitely the version I prefer. Until someone proves otherwise, these will be the facts as I know them.

atomdanger
03-12-2009, 05:45 PM

How's that?

lol, I - 5 near Seattle doing 90?
I doubt anybody thought you were racing, I do 90 on the 5 in Washington all the time and get passed lol

I am not trying to stir the pot, it looks like they were racing, and maybe even bumped or something?
Just seemed odd to me that both cars spun out at the same time,
and they charged the other guy with man slaughter?
I don't know.

I just doubt they were cruising at over 100 together, next to eachother
and not racing.
Also, just because it was 1977 doesn't mean a thing,
I borrowed my moms mini van and raced a friend in a civic lol,
they were probably messing around racing, racing doesn't have to be serious.
You've watched the fast and the furious too many times.

que
03-12-2009, 07:20 PM
why is everyone trying to believe that he didn't race? you have a ferrari going extreme speeds next to a porsche that was going extreme speeds, all signs say they were racing. of course i could be wrong but there is a very high chance they were racing

racing or not, (that doesn't matter anymore) mask was driving at extreme speeds and that is a fact. of course, we are just nobody's on an internet forum. read what a professional has to say about it first, then draw your own conclusions...

http://auto.freedomblogging.com/2009/03/11/steve-millen-remarks-on-the-ferrari-360-modena/

gymcoach97
03-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Not sure if these have been posted...but, here's a link to some crash scene photos on MSN. They were taken in the daytime. Hopefully, the link works.

The light pole split the car completely in half. What a horrific accident!

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/pgStory?contentId=9323124#sport=MMA/Boxing&photo=9324670

County Mike
03-12-2009, 07:27 PM
My God! Those pictures are insane.

Psykojojo
03-12-2009, 07:30 PM
I honestly don't care if he was racing or not, the man is now dead. If theres a statement from the police tomorrow that says mask was, infact, racing, I won't say 'whew, now I don't feel so bad, he deserved it'. It's inconsequential unless your part of the investigation, your not, so focus on the fact that a good man has died

Deerstabber
03-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Those pics are insane! I cant find the seats in any of those pics. I cant believe his fiance lived thru that.

atomdanger
03-12-2009, 08:11 PM

For the sake of arguing, I believe he was driving a f350 Modena.
Those retail for under 200K

matthughesfan21
03-12-2009, 08:29 PM
For the sake of arguing, I believe he was driving a f350 Modena.
Those retail for under 200K
It was a ferrari modena, but it was 300k

TMZ has confirmed the owner of the TapouT MMA clothing line died this morning when his ultra-rare $300,000 Ferrari crashed into a light pole, ripping the car in half.

MattHughesRocks
03-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Here are some new pics and a video from the OCR

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lewis-martial-mixed-2332800-arts-tapout

timmyja
03-12-2009, 11:51 PM
I honestly don't care if he was racing or not, the man is now dead. If theres a statement from the police tomorrow that says mask was, infact, racing, I won't say 'whew, now I don't feel so bad, he deserved it'. It's inconsequential unless your part of the investigation, your not, so focus on the fact that a good man has died

Amen to that.. I like how when something bad happens, people tend to flock to it like vultures and offer their two cents on what is right or wrong and forget about how human they really are and the stupid things they themselves do. A tragic loss to established fighters, up and coming fighters, and my thoughts are with his family.

RIP