PDA

View Full Version : Hermes Franca arrested on 7 counts of sexual abuse

atomdanger
05-19-2011, 07:38 PM
http://www.mmamania.com/2011/5/19/2179633/hermes-franca-arrested-in-portland-and-charged-with-seven-counts-of

Both crimes fall under Oregon's Measure 11 mandatory minimum sentencing for serious crimes, carrying a minimum term of 75 months each. Franca's bail has been set at $250,000.

According to sources close to Franca, the 36 year old Brazilian lightweight flew into Portland Monday night from Florida to turn himself in. The MMA veteran of ten years was made aware of the multi-count indictment while in Brazil for his match at the International Fighter Championship on April 29.

After consulting with legal counsel, Franca came back to the United States to answer the charges. Franca plead not guilty to all nine counts at his arraignment Tuesday afternoon.

Whoa.....

Miss Foxy
05-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Wow.

flo
05-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Steroids, drunk driving now multiple allegations of sexual abuse? The UFC needs to dump this guy.

Tyburn
05-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Hang on...he handed himself in...and then claimed "NOT Guilty"

In The US do you presume guilt or innocence BEFORE a trial :huh:

In England, one is presumed innocent until guilt can be prooven. Shall we wait for the trial...or do you all wanna hang him now :huh:

wavetar
05-19-2011, 10:42 PM

In England, one is presumed innocent until guilt can be prooven. Shall we wait for the trial...or do you all wanna hang him now :huh:

True, and he could've just stayed in Brazil...

flo
05-19-2011, 11:02 PM

Ahem.

Steroids, drunk driving now multiple allegations of sexual abuse? The UFC needs to dump this guy.

What are you talking about, Dave? I'm not seeing where anyone wants to "hang" him, unless you are referring to your own plan...

Miss Foxy
05-19-2011, 11:04 PM

Yes, they are presumed innocent. However everyone is still entitled to "opinions" even here on cyberspace.. :rolleyes:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
05-19-2011, 11:22 PM
True, and he could've just stayed in Brazil...

Was it me I probably would have! But maybe he has more fiath in our excuse for a Justice system than I do!

flo
05-19-2011, 11:44 PM
My guess is he's not going to have a whole lot of UFC fights in Brazil so he manned up to answer the charges here.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
05-20-2011, 12:39 AM
My guess is he's not going to have a whole lot of UFC fights in Brazil so he manned up to answer the charges here.

He must be pretty confident he'll be exonerated!

Play The Man
05-20-2011, 01:33 AM
Flo, the UFC dumped him quite some time ago. He has been fighting in smaller organizations. I know he is a Brazilian but I don't know if he is a naturalized U.S. citizen or here on a work visa. If he is not a citizen, he needs to be deported (after he serves his time, if convicted).

Play The Man
05-20-2011, 01:35 AM

Great point, Tyburn. I'm sure you won't mind that I signed your sisters up for one of his BJJ classes.:rolleyes:

Play The Man
05-20-2011, 01:36 AM
Whoa.....
Are those your guns in the picture in your signature?

flo
05-20-2011, 02:23 AM
Flo, the UFC dumped him quite some time ago. He has been fighting in smaller organizations.

:ashamed: Hmm, that's what I get when I a$$ume.

Dang, PTM, I may have to start fact-checking myself! :laugh:

atomdanger
05-20-2011, 03:26 AM
Flo, the UFC dumped him quite some time ago. He has been fighting in smaller organizations. I know he is a Brazilian but I don't know if he is a naturalized U.S. citizen or here on a work visa. If he is not a citizen, he needs to be deported (after he serves his time, if convicted).

He owns a gym in Portland, and has been in the states for over a decade.
I assume he is either a legal resident, or a US citizen.
(I was born here, no clue how these things work)

rockdawg21
05-20-2011, 11:36 AM
If you ask me, showing up willing, especially when he could have easily saved his money and stayed in Brazil; it shows strong character that he believes he can prove his innocence.

Innocent until PROVEN guilty!

rearnakedchoke
05-20-2011, 12:55 PM
If you ask me, showing up willing, especially when he could have easily saved his money and stayed in Brazil; it shows strong character that he believes he can prove his innocence.

yeah, i agree .... i don't think he has much of a fighting future, but he can still make money off his gyms and stuff ...

BamaGrits84
05-20-2011, 05:31 PM
This is the defination of what makes for first degree under Oregon law.

Sexual abuse in the first degree
(1) A person commits the crime of sexual abuse in the first degree when that person:

(a) Subjects another person to sexual contact and:

(A) The victim is less than 14 years of age;

(B) The victim is subjected to forcible compulsion by the actor; or

(C) The victim is incapable of consent by reason of being mentally defective, mentally incapacitated or physically helpless; or

(b) Intentionally causes a person under 18 years of age to touch or contact the mouth, anus or sex organs of an animal for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of a person.

(2) Sexual abuse in the first degree is a Class B felony. [1991 c.830 3; 1995 c.657 12; 1995 c.671 10]

Miss Foxy
05-20-2011, 05:35 PM

I agree he could have easily stayed in Brazil, but I hope he gets a fair trial and these charges are not true.

Miss Foxy
05-20-2011, 05:37 PM
:ashamed: Hmm, that's what I get when I a$$ume.

Dang, PTM, I may have to start fact-checking myself! :laugh:

Don't feel bad I had no clue who he was :laugh::ashamed:

BamaGrits84
05-20-2011, 05:39 PM

Maybe he came becasue the other option was being detained in Brazil where he likely would be held until an extradition hearing, which he COULD have been advised he would lose, so he decided to save himself some legal time and jump into being able to actually fight the charges. We do have an extradition treaty with Brazil.

I'm ok with not trying to stone the man to death before the courts system has a chance to work, and this story lacks a lot of information that normal news stories would about cases like this. He has shown bad judgement in the past with a DUI and the failed drug test(s) so he shouldn't expect people to jump to his defense.