PDA

View Full Version : your opinions please

Miss Foxy
03-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Hello brothers and sisters of the forum!! Since so many of you are very knowledgeable with MMA what do you suggest? I have a 6yr old son who I am looking to put in some form of training. My 11yr old daughter is already in boxing, but my son is considered too young to begin boxing training in the boxing world. He knows basic throws and jabs. What form training is a good start? I apologize I was a boxer and so was they're dad so I need all your help. Much love.. xoxo

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 05:54 PM
I know Karate is usually really good for kids, I would suggest that.
Maybe Kenpo, or TKD, etc...

Crisco
03-11-2009, 06:04 PM
BJJ all day. They have kids programs. Start them now and they will be amazing later.

Hughes_GOAT
03-11-2009, 06:05 PM
you live in So Cal so there should be plenty of MMA training type schools there. i'd go for wrestling and BJJ myself. but if you go with an MMA school, you can';t go wrong if you have legit instructors so make sure you do your research. i come from a boxing family too. my great uncle boxed in the Olympics for the U.S. in '56....then fought fo the title 3 times as a pro.

Llamafighter
03-11-2009, 06:07 PM
BJJ all day. They have kids programs. Start them now and they will be amazing later.

Definitely
TKD is good too for kids. My nephew is that age and is taking TKD

NateR
03-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Wrestling would be another excellent way to start him out. That's how Matt started and it seems to have worked out pretty well for him.:)

Crisco
03-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Definitely
TKD is good too for kids. My nephew is that age and is taking TKD

I have a red belt in TKD and I did it for three years. It's worth crap.

Go straight to BJJ and then some muay thai as he gets older. It will make him one bad ass little kid but will also teach him respect.

Miss Foxy
03-11-2009, 06:15 PM
If you have spare time check this out and let me know what you think..
Thanks bros I sooo appreciate it..http://www.bjjtraining.com/

Hughes_GOAT
03-11-2009, 06:23 PM
If you have spare time check this out and let me know what you think..
Thanks bros I sooo appreciate it..http://www.bjjtraining.com/

which location would you be going to?

rearnakedchoke
03-11-2009, 06:25 PM
i'd take them outta boxing .. honestly, it is not a good sport ... i grew up watching boxing, love to watch and my brother was a good boxer ... but it is horrible for the brain ... i know they are wearing headgear, but that is to protect their head from getting hurt, not their brain ... the jolts to the brain over and over are horrrible ... i'd go with something like bjj or wrestling where they are rolling, but even karate, tkd are good ... as they teach discipline well IMO ...

County Mike
03-11-2009, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't bother with karate - or any striking for that matter. At his age, wrestling would be a perfect start. As he gets a little older, he can transition what he knows from wrestling into BJJ.

I wouldn't want my kid being exposed to chokes and joint locks at the age of 5. Kids that young are too careless.

Miss Foxy
03-11-2009, 06:46 PM
which location would you be going to? Most likely Corona..

Miss Foxy
03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
i'd take them outta boxing .. honestly, it is not a good sport ... i grew up watching boxing, love to watch and my brother was a good boxer ... but it is horrible for the brain ... i know they are wearing headgear, but that is to protect their head from getting hurt, not their brain ... the jolts to the brain over and over are horrrible ... i'd go with something like bjj or wrestling where they are rolling, but even karate, tkd are good ... as they teach discipline well IMO ... My mom is always on me for boxing.. Thanks for right now my daughter is doing a hard 4 month training of endurance & strength so not too much sparring right now. She seems to like it, but not like how her parents do. I eventually want to put her in something else also to compliment her boxing skills. I want her to be the next GINA..haha!!! Thanks for your feedback and concern... :wink:

rearnakedchoke
03-11-2009, 08:12 PM
My mom is always on me for boxing.. Thanks for right now my daughter is doing a hard 4 month training of endurance & strength so not too much sparring right now. She seems to like it, but not like how her parents do. I eventually want to put her in something else also to compliment her boxing skills. I want her to be the next GINA..haha!!! Thanks for your feedback and concern... :wink:
yeah, boxing has real good training .. i used to go to my bros gym just for the workout .. that is the good thing .. but even he lets his sons train and everything, but no sparring just yet ... i kinda talked him into it .. LOL

can't wait til some scum bag tries something on your girl .. WHAAAAM .. dude is gonna be in for a rude awakening ...

(watching de la hoya in the pacquiao fight must have been real tough)

Josh
03-11-2009, 08:34 PM
If you can try to find an MMA gym. My kids are training here http://www.martialartstrainingacademy.com/index.html
We really like it. His philosophy is that striking can be learned quicker (even though he comes from that backround) so he works a little more on wrestling. The thing that is so great about wrestling is the advantage that it gives in picking where the fight happens.

Miss Foxy
03-11-2009, 08:35 PM
yeah, boxing has real good training .. i used to go to my bros gym just for the workout .. that is the good thing .. but even he lets his sons train and everything, but no sparring just yet ... i kinda talked him into it .. LOL

can't wait til some scum bag tries something on your girl .. WHAAAAM .. dude is gonna be in for a rude awakening ...

(watching de la hoya in the pacquiao fight must have been real tough) I can't stand De La Hoya babe....lol....I was embarrassed for him he looked like a sissy!! He has just been awful time for retirement! For reals..
As for my daughter yeah she's her daddys girl.. Loves riding her quad, watching boxing/mma, and Jean-Claude Van Damm movies! haha!! Bad drawback is shes gorgeous! :frantics:

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I have a red belt in TKD and I did it for three years. It's worth crap.

Go straight to BJJ and then some muay thai as he gets older. It will make him one bad ass little kid but will also teach him respect.

I love BJJ, and its great for sport, and for MMA,

but not practical in any real life situation.

In a street fight you never ever want to go to the ground.
Wayyy too many times have I seen people jump into fights that end up on the ground and people gotten really really hurt. If you're on your feet, and kick boxing and trying to get out of there you stand a much better chance than pulling guard and going for a submission.

County Mike
03-11-2009, 09:06 PM
I love BJJ, and its great for sport, and for MMA,

but not practical in any real life situation.

In a street fight you never ever want to go to the ground.
Wayyy too many times have I seen people jump into fights that end up on the ground and people gotten really really hurt. If you're on your feet, and kick boxing and trying to get out of there you stand a much better chance than pulling guard and going for a submission.

What if you're in a street fight and the other guy throws you to the ground, jumps on top and starts punching you in the face? I'd say BJJ comes in really handy in that situation, especially against a bigger/stronger guy.

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 09:12 PM
What if you're in a street fight and the other guy throws you to the ground, jumps on top and starts punching you in the face? I'd say BJJ comes in really handy in that situation, especially against a bigger/stronger guy.

Never taken a kickboxing or karate lesson?

You back up, and punch and kick, that's your TDD.
Not to mention most karate's (at least the one I took), taught TDD and sweeps.

*shrug*
Just my opinion, I have taken karate since I was 10, done MT and I now do BJJ,
and the standup training I've done did 10 times in a street fight what the ground training did.

Mostly, street fights I've seen usually happen when people have friends with them.
I don't want to be on the ground when you have ten friends with you.
A good friend of mine (who is a wrestler) got his throat slit fighting that way,
he shot and took a guy down and while he was beating the guy up another ran over and slit his throat.
He lived, but has a cute scar and a scary story

County Mike
03-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Never taken a kickboxing or karate lesson?

You back up, and punch and kick, that's your TDD.
Not to mention most karate's (at least the one I took), taught TDD and sweeps.

*shrug*
Just my opinion, I have taken karate since I was 10, done MT and I now do BJJ,
and the standup training I've done did 10 times in a street fight what the ground training did.

Yes, I have taken Karate and kickboxing. Doesn't guarantee you won't end up on the ground, especially if attacked by surprise. I'm not saying it won't help. I'm just refuting your argument about BJJ not applying to ANY real life situations.

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Yes, I have taken Karate and kickboxing. Doesn't guarantee you won't end up on the ground, especially if attacked by surprise. I'm not saying it won't help. I'm just refuting your argument about BJJ not applying to ANY real life situations.

well, NOTHING guarantees anything in a street fight situation.

BJJ doesn't have striking, so even a BJJ black belt doesn't guarantee when we're on the ground and you catch on punch bare knuckle to the face you aren't going to freeze up and get hurt anyway.

I think BJJ has applications in the real world, heck I am a BJJ guy now,
but I think any sort of standing combat training has much more use in the real world.

I guess the best idea is to be well versed on the ground and the feet

Crisco
03-11-2009, 09:23 PM
The best thing to train is MMA period.

I think the two best skills to have in a street situation are some form of boxing and straight up JUDO.

If a guy tries to grab you or you can get a hold of him JUDO is the ****. Dump that dude right on his back and he won't get up especially on the concrete.

Miss Foxy
03-11-2009, 09:28 PM
I think with street fights most of the population don't know how to properly throw a punch. Thats the good thing that my children know already how to properly block they're faces, how to throw a jab, cross, hook. Take me for example I know how to box, but if I were to land on the floor I would not have the necessary skills to get myself outta that dangerous situation unless it was just a wild fight and I started going haywire, but that doesnt mean the outcome would work in my favor. I think I would be in trouble, because after they finish they usually kick you in the head so I have seen.....

Moose
03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Wrestling would be another excellent way to start him out. That's how Matt started and it seems to have worked out pretty well for him.:)

And conversely I don't wrestle and I always seem to be a great disadvantage when I spar. Either put him in wrestling or have him work on subs from his back. :biting:

rearnakedchoke
03-11-2009, 09:44 PM
I can't stand De La Hoya babe....lol....I was embarrassed for him he looked like a sissy!! He has just been awful time for retirement! For reals..
As for my daughter yeah she's her daddys girl.. Loves riding her quad, watching boxing/mma, and Jean-Claude Van Damm movies! haha!! Bad drawback is shes gorgeous! :frantics:

wow, my bad .. saw so cal and thought for sure you would like him .. guessed wrong

Miss Foxy
03-11-2009, 10:19 PM
wow, my bad .. saw so cal and thought for sure you would like him .. guessed wrong
That's ok no biggie. My favorite fighters are Marquez and Vitali Klitschko. I like watching friday night fights to see upcoming fighters. In the boxing world we seriously need some new blood!! :w00t:

Moose
03-11-2009, 10:26 PM
That's ok no biggie. My favorite fighters are Marquez and Vitali Klitschko. I like watching friday night fights to see upcoming fighters. In the boxing world we seriously need some new blood!! :w00t:

Boxing is rough to watch now. I used to love it, now, it does nothing for me. It's like going back to bluegill once you've had swordfish.

NateR
03-11-2009, 10:30 PM
And conversely I don't wrestle and I always seem to be a great disadvantage when I spar. Either put him in wrestling or have him work on subs from his back. :biting:

I would guess that wrestling would require the smallest financial investment to get started. This way if he isn't any good at it, you can try something else without having broken the bank.

But I was never into sports as a kid (PE was the only class I ever got an 'F' in), so what do I know? :laugh:

Moose
03-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I would guess that wrestling would require the smallest financial investment to get started. This way if he isn't any good at it, you can try something else without having broken the bank.

But I was never into sports as a kid (PE was the only class I ever got an 'F' in), so what do I know? :laugh:

An F in PE? I hope you got beat for that one.

MattHughesRocks
03-11-2009, 10:38 PM
How do you get an F in PE? I got a lot of "I"'s for incomplete but I always did good in PE. I took creative dance.I was gettin' my grove on in the 7th grade:party0006:

NateR
03-11-2009, 10:44 PM
An F in PE? I hope you got beat for that one.

My dad didn't care, as long as I kept getting straight A's in science and math. :laugh:

The problem was my PE teacher was the head basketball coach for the high school. So if you weren't a fan of basketball, then you just weren't going to do well in his class. I only failed one semester because of a written test that included questions like "What team does Larry Bird play for?" and "What are the dimensions of a regulation basketball court?"

I did everything I was supposed to do: never forgot my gym clothes, showered everyday, and passed all the physical requirements. However, since I didn't care about the sport of basketball, he failed me for one 6-week semester. I did good enough for the rest of that year to scrape by and earn a C in the course overall though.

I firmly believe that Physical Education should be about teaching kids the benefits of overall fitness and health, not how to play sports.

Miss Foxy
03-11-2009, 10:49 PM
I firmly believe that Physical Education should be about teaching kids the benefits of overall fitness and health, not how to play sports. True!! Not everyone is an athlete..

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 11:34 PM
The best thing to train is MMA period.

I think the two best skills to have in a street situation are some form of boxing and straight up JUDO.

If a guy tries to grab you or you can get a hold of him JUDO is the ****. Dump that dude right on his back and he won't get up especially on the concrete.

"mma" isn't an art though.

kyle
03-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Here's what I did with my son. he is 7 now and soon will be 8 and he started wrestling at 5. the last 2 years he wrestled year round (folkstyle and freestyle wrestling) Folkstyle just ended last week for him, and this year were not going to do freestyle because I dont want to burn him out of the sport.

So he is going to go to a bjj/judo club nearby our home in the off season, starting next month. To be honest with you I want him to excel in wrestling and do well there through school, b/c I always felt wrestlers are the best athletes(in HS) BJJ is good to, but I want my kid to have in opportunity to go to school on a wrestling scholarship if that is what he chooses to do. Unfortunately you really cant get a scholarship with bjj(except ricky lundell of ISU) I started out wanting my kid to get into MMA also, that's why I put him in wrestling to start out with. But now i'm more interested in his education and exceeding there, I really don't want him to do what I do for a living.

When I was in high school I wrestled and boxed both. Man that wore me out but I did it for 2 yrs. I love both sports, and I would like to get my kid into boxing when he turns 8. But I dont want to wear him out. I think all these are very good sports and are a very good base for MMA. This is just my .02

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 12:21 AM
True!! Not everyone is an athlete..

speak for yourself :tongue0011:

Hughes_GOAT
03-12-2009, 12:26 AM
here you go, Melissa.

just type in the city you want and it will give you a list of schools.

it doesn't have Corona listed but it has the other close cities.

there are a ton of schools listed and they all have their websites.

http://www.subfighter.com/academy.php

Miss Foxy
03-12-2009, 01:48 AM
Here's what I did with my son. he is 7 now and soon will be 8 and he started wrestling at 5. the last 2 years he wrestled year round (folkstyle and freestyle wrestling) Folkstyle just ended last week for him, and this year were not going to do freestyle because I dont want to burn him out of the sport.

So he is going to go to a bjj/judo club nearby our home in the off season, starting next month. To be honest with you I want him to excel in wrestling and do well there through school, b/c I always felt wrestlers are the best athletes(in HS) BJJ is good to, but I want my kid to have in opportunity to go to school on a wrestling scholarship if that is what he chooses to do. Unfortunately you really cant get a scholarship with bjj(except ricky lundell of ISU) I started out wanting my kid to get into MMA also, that's why I put him in wrestling to start out with. But now i'm more interested in his education and exceeding there, I really don't want him to do what I do for a living.

When I was in high school I wrestled and boxed both. Man that wore me out but I did it for 2 yrs. I love both sports, and I would like to get my kid into boxing when he turns 8. But I dont want to wear him out. I think all these are very good sports and are a very good base for MMA. This is just my .02 Thanks Kyle I appreciate your imput its really helpful, and I feel ya on not wanting to burn my kids out =) I just want them busy!! haha!

Miss Foxy
03-12-2009, 01:54 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2u9kbol.jpg Here's my lil boxer!!

Tyburn
03-12-2009, 02:18 AM
what do you suggest?
:ninja:

:laugh: :laugh:

TexasRN
03-12-2009, 02:18 AM
My 12 and 10 year old are in TKD. That it their main focus but the dojang offers what they call Master Club and it is for kids who show that they are able to hold their tempers, be respectful, follow instructions, practice on their own outside of class, etc. They usually require a black belt but can be let in on instructor recommendation. Master Club teaches MMA (judo, jitz, boxing, wrestling, Muay Thai, etc) along with an intense TKD BB curriculum. My kids also do demo team and leadership classes. My son was picked to be on the competition team as well. My daughter is just not into the competition side of it, she likes the art of it instead. There is a self defense class and MMA class but those are for adults only unless a teen shows they are able to handle the training and won't use the skills to hurt others.

I recommend pretty much any martial art training or wrestling program that has a great instructor and program set up. I would concentrate more on that than on the actual name of the place or name of the art. I wanted my kids to be healthy, to gain a respect for a martial art, be emotionally balanced, etc. This particular TKD dojang fit that bill. I would have been happy with karate or any type really to get what I wanted for my child.

Just my thoughts.

~Amy

Miss Foxy
03-12-2009, 02:34 AM
My 12 and 10 year old are in TKD. That it their main focus but the dojang offers what they call Master Club and it is for kids who show that they are able to hold their tempers, be respectful, follow instructions, practice on their own outside of class, etc. They usually require a black belt but can be let in on instructor recommendation. Master Club teaches MMA (judo, jitz, boxing, wrestling, Muay Thai, etc) along with an intense TKD BB curriculum. My kids also do demo team and leadership classes. My son was picked to be on the competition team as well. My daughter is just not into the competition side of it, she likes the art of it instead. There is a self defense class and MMA class but those are for adults only unless a teen shows they are able to handle the training and won't use the skills to hurt others.

I recommend pretty much any martial art training or wrestling program that has a great instructor and program set up. I would concentrate more on that than on the actual name of the place or name of the art. I wanted my kids to be healthy, to gain a respect for a martial art, be emotionally balanced, etc. This particular TKD dojang fit that bill. I would have been happy with karate or any type really to get what I wanted for my child.

Just my thoughts.

~Amy
Thanks so much for taking the time and responding.. So appreciated!

TexasRN
03-12-2009, 02:56 AM
Thanks so much for taking the time and responding.. So appreciated!

You're welcome. Sometimes I can be helpful, others I'm just a pain in the tuckus.

~Amy

kevint13
03-12-2009, 03:56 AM
I did TKD from when I was 7 until I was 12. I received my black belt when I was 12 and competed in several national championships. TKD was a great martial art for me as it allowed me to learn the art and skills, but really instilled some great values in me that contribute to who I am today. I have never been in a fight aside from in competition and I am actually pretty proud of that.

So, I would suggest finding a gym that seems respectful. Find a place where your son can go and learn the art and also continue to build strong personal values without even knowing it.