PDA

View Full Version : Junk food foes to McDonald's: Retire Ronald!

Spiritwalker
05-18-2011, 05:22 PM
This to me smacks of people that just don't want to be parent's.

The next thing?? Retire Mickey Mouse because it appeals to kids.. and then parents have to go watch Disney movies and such.. and don't forget Disney World trips.. man those are expensive.. Maybe without Mickey.. paren't won't have to "work so hard"...

Granted.. McD's is crap food.. but the quality of the food won't change when you bring in Healthy Henry to replace Ronald McDonald....

just my .02

http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/18/news/companies/mcdonalds_retire_ronald/index.htm?hpt=T2

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2011/05/18/news/companies/mcdonalds_retire_ronald/ronald-mcdonald-retire.gi.top.jpg

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Ronald McDonald, the orange and white face of the popular fast-food chain that bears his name, is under attack by nutrition advocates who want him to be retired.

Their beef, so to speak, is that McDonald's uses clowns and toys to sell unhealthy food to impressionable children. The company argues that its marketing practices are responsible, and that its food is "high quality."

The push to retire Ronald is being led by a group called Corporate Accountability International, which plans to introduce a resolution calling for the clown's ouster at the company's annual shareholder meeting Thursday.

"Through this initiative, the public health community is rallying behind a simple message to McDonald's: stop making the next generation sick -- retire Ronald and the rest of your junk food marketing to kids," said Steven Rothschild, a professor at Rush Medical College and a backer of the resolution.

McDonald's is already being sued by a group of consumers and health care professionals over the toys that come in the Happy Meals marketed to kids. The group filed a class action suit late last year in California that claims the company's marketing practices violate state's consumer protection laws.

In addition, a group of Philadelphia nuns filed a proxy resolution in March asking McDonald's to investigate its "policy response" to concerns about the link between fast food and childhood obesity.

McDonalds stands by Ronald and says that it is committed to children's health and nutrition.

"We are committed to responsible advertising and take our communications to children very seriously," McDonald's said in a statement.

The company has argued that it has introduced healthy alternatives such as Apple Dippers and low-fat milk in Happy Meals. But critics say the company still serves French fries in the vast majority of its kid-friendly combo meals.

McDonald's (MCD, Fortune 500) also stressed that Ronald is the symbol of its flag-ship charity, Ronald McDonald house, which is dedicated to the health and well being of children.

"Ronald is an ambassador for good and delivers important messages to kids on safety, literacy and balanced, active lifestyles," the statement said.

Ronald McDonald, one of the world's most recognizable clowns, has been the company's mascot since 1971. He was joined shortly there after by a cast of imaginary characters including the Hamburglar, Grimace, Mayor McCheese and Captain Crook.

rockdawg21
05-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Parents pointing the finger at others. How typical.

flo
05-18-2011, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't eat at McDs but it's all about choices. These people seriously need to get a life.

A better direction for their concern might be making sure Obamacare is repealed.

I think it's the height of arrogance that these parents want to force their opinions and choices on everyone. You don't like Ronald, and think the toys promote unhealthy food? Don't go to McDs.

Miss Foxy
05-18-2011, 05:39 PM
We eat at McDonalds for lunch about 1x every 2months or so. I ain't gonna deny sometimes I feel like eating the fries! To me people have really miserable lives if they can point out others faults and parenting. Hella annoying.

Spiritwalker
05-18-2011, 05:45 PM
We eat at McDonalds for lunch about 1x every 2months or so. I ain't gonna deny sometimes I feel like eating the fries! To me people have really miserable lives if they can point out others faults and parenting. Hella annoying.

Meaning anyone specific?

flo
05-18-2011, 06:04 PM

:happy0159:

I think she's talking about the eejits that are protesting.

County Mike
05-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Meaning anyone specific?

I think she's talking about the people in the article. You don't have to be so paranoid.

People think/talk about you a lot less than you think.

Miss Foxy
05-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Meaning anyone specific?

The people in the article as Flo/County Mike stated. If it were anyone on this thread I would quote them then comment. I have never been coy on this forum and that won't change.

Spiritwalker
05-18-2011, 06:29 PM
I think she's talking about the people in the article. You don't have to be so paranoid.

People think/talk about you a lot less than you think.

Not paranoid.. just asking.. Because of my comment at the beginning.. specific to people not wanting to be parents.. which actually should have read.. "parents not wanting to be parents

The volume of talk/thought about me here hasn't really ever been on my mind that I can recall. At least not at a high level...

Spiritwalker
05-18-2011, 06:31 PM
eejits

I think that this is the first time I have ever seen this word in text.. thanks!

TexasRN
05-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Seeing as how there is such a thing as the Ronald McDonald House that helps families who have children who are hospitalized long term, I highly doubt this stupid idea will take off. It's a great charity and I know many families who have had to live in one.

~Amy

Twinsmama
05-19-2011, 02:39 PM
has anyone noticed spirit doesn't take his kids to mcdonalds?:laugh: and thinks it is crap food?:laugh:

pay attention to your own actions first people. if you don't want to go to mcdonalds don't. if i want to go to mcdonalds and take my kids it's no ones business (at no one specific spirit just the people in the article:laugh:)

rearnakedchoke
05-19-2011, 02:59 PM
my kids love mcd's ... it is my job to make sure that they only eat it ever so often and not all the time ...

people who complain about this need to worry about more important things .. like the kool aid pitcher look a like dude .. now that guy will make your kids fat and rot their teeth and break down your wall when its koolaid time ...

Spiritwalker
05-19-2011, 03:14 PM
has anyone noticed spirit doesn't take his kids to mcdonalds?:laugh: and thinks it is crap food?:laugh:

My "right" as an American. I think not just McD's is crap food.. but pretty much all of the fast food chains.. granted.. I will eat at one occasionally...when I am on the run to "x" .. Last time I had "fast food" was about a month or so ago..

I just wish more people would understand this food isn't good for you in quantity.. I know people that eat this food as meals.. it's just not good for you.

pay attention to your own actions first people. if you don't want to go to mcdonalds don't. if i want to go to mcdonalds and take my kids it's no ones business (at no one specific spirit just the people in the article:laugh:)

I completely agree...

If you want to eat that food.. by all means.. have at it.. but alot of people don't have a clue as to what they are really eating..

And I have taken my kids their a few times.. my son and I hit a BK when coming home from a basketball game. The windows were down in the car.. and we passed BK and the smell of the flame broiled burgers got me.. (there is something about the taste of a flame broiled, microwaved hamburger that does it for me)... But IMO...those should not be the "norm" for anyone..

When I was in south america.. we saw 2 McDs that were closed.. I said "wow.. McDs is here?" I was told that "yeah they opened and closed within a year...No one would go there"..

For the price of a family of 4 to go to McDs (or the like).. 2 kids meals.. and 2 adult meals.. you can buy BETTER beef, buns.. (check out the ingredients of McDs bread).. and buy a forzen bag of fires.. or even better.. buy 4 or 5 potatoes.. and have the kids cut them into "fry size" as you grill the burgers.. and guess what.. you can actually have a conversation with your family while making a meal.. instead of filling up on fast food.. and then sending the kids off to play in the play house..

Sorry to come off so strong against fast food.. but.. IMO.. those places are a cause of .. and an example of.. many things of what is wrong with this country...

BUT.. it is a customers choice.. and I belive that asking a company to get rid of a mascot because it appeals to childeren.. is another problem with this country..

Looking to blame someone else for our own issues. (in this case.. McDs is the harbinger of "tubby kids"... as opposed to "Hey Little Johnny.. let's make some food at home.. we can have more fun that way.."... People take the easy way out more often than not..

KENTUCKYREDBONE
05-20-2011, 12:28 AM
The poeple in this article need to get a life!

rockdawg21
05-20-2011, 12:46 PM
My "right" as an American. I think not just McD's is crap food.. but pretty much all of the fast food chains.. granted.. I will eat at one occasionally...when I am on the run to "x" .. Last time I had "fast food" was about a month or so ago..

I just wish more people would understand this food isn't good for you in quantity.. I know people that eat this food as meals.. it's just not good for you.
Wait! What?

So, you ate at one last month, but it wasn't a meal?

Spiritwalker
05-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Wait! What?

nope...

I had a Whopper.. and a coke.. that's just a snack... we had been playing basketball and both of us were sweaty and tired.. and we had some things to do before we went home... so a quick bite to eat.. and man.. it did taste good going down.. but sat like a bick once it reached my stomach.

to me a "meal" is like sitting down at a table and having dinner....

Twinsmama
05-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Wait! What?

:laugh::laugh:

nope...

I had a Whopper.. and a coke.. that's just a snack... we had been playing basketball and both of us were sweaty and tired.. and we had some things to do before we went home... so a quick bite to eat.. and man.. it did taste good going down.. but sat like a bick once it reached my stomach.

even funnier was the explanation:laugh::laugh:

Spiritwalker
05-20-2011, 04:31 PM
:laugh::laugh:

even funnier was the explanation:laugh::laugh:

ok.. I guess.. glad I made you giggle...

Care to share what was funny?

rockdawg21
05-20-2011, 04:53 PM
nope...

Wait! What?

A 670 Calorie (40g fat, 11g sugar) sandwich and (guessing the size) a 290 Calorie (77g sugar) medium Coke is a snack?
(960 calories, 40g fat, 88g sugar).

Chris F
05-20-2011, 07:19 PM
I eat Mickey D's a lot more than I should but when you are running around with your head cut off a drive thru is handy and it is dirt cheap. Family of four we can eat for 7.00 bucks, 10 if we get soda's. As for being crap food well anything you do not grow yourself and know its origins is crap because it is so sull of steriods and chemicals and such that is is no worse than Mickey D's. The Avereg supermarket food contains the same stuff as most fast food chains theses days because corp farms use many chemicals and such to push higher yields. Fact of life. So you can fool yourself by thinking what you are eating is any more healthy but reality minus fat grams and sodium it is not.

Spiritwalker
05-20-2011, 07:59 PM
I eat Mickey D's a lot more than I should but when you are running around with your head cut off a drive thru is handy and it is dirt cheap. Family of four we can eat for 7.00 bucks, 10 if we get soda's.

I would like to see how you get a meal for 4 out of 7 dollars.. You think a hamburger and fries is a meal? Like I said.. it's fast food.. it's cheap.. but not very good for you. People take the easy way out more often than not..

As for being crap food well anything you do not grow yourself and know its origins is crap because it is so sull of steriods and chemicals and such that is is no worse than Mickey D's. The Avereg supermarket food contains the same stuff as most fast food chains theses days because corp farms use many chemicals and such to push higher yields. Fact of life. So you can fool yourself by thinking what you are eating is any more healthy but reality minus fat grams and sodium it is not.

ChrisF.. you are VERY mistaken....

Compare the USDA grades of beef that are purchased by McD's and the like.. (Taco Bell was in court recently over the claim "100%beef")
Compare the oils used to make fries with say.. Rapeseed oil/Sesame oil...
Compare the ingerdients in most fast food places bread.. with the "mid range" brands of bread..

As far as sodas.. fact: fountain drinks contain much more syrup than a bottled soft drink..due to several reasons.. 1. fast food places pay almost nothing for syrup ..

(a few years ago a friend of mine was a asst dir of Coke and let me in on some of this.. a 5 gallon box of syrup was sold for something like 4 bucks.. that 5 gallon box can last for 2 days...) [/tangent alert]

The fountain machines are calabriated when installed and when they break.. between those times.. the calabraction tends to fail.. and you end up with much higher sugar than a "normal" fountain drink..

and then consider how often those fountian dispenseres are cleaned..

Yep, many grocery stores will carry much of the same products that you consume at a fast food place.. lettecue, pickles, condiments.. fruits and milks..

but do you ever wonder.. how/where they get these.. "food warehouses" are the same as a grocery store.. when stuff is starting to get "older".. they sell it cheaper.. guess who is the bigger purchaser of food priced to go from various wholesalers...

Now I know you are beyond being able to be educated by me.. no worries.. but don't lead others down a path you know little about.

If you truely think.. that the beef pattie in your McDs burger is as good and healthy for you as a 80% lean or even 75% lean (I can't recall if I have ever seen a 70%lean pacakge).. hamburger pattie than you make in your home.. your not only not trying to look past the curtian in front of your eyes.. you also put up your own blinds...

Try this for an experiment... just try.. see what happens...

Go to McDs/Wendys/BK/whatever... Buy cheap hamburger... nothing special.. what ever the "hamburger" is... and then go to the store.. and buy the cheapest.. oldest most fat filled pack of beef you can buy.. in fact.. ask the "meat market guy".. I want the oldest.. whatever you are going to throw away...

[tangent alert] (cause they do.. instead of donating.. they toss.. why do you think that they also have pad locks on most of their dumpsters)

Take that beef home.. along with the fast food burger.. Grill/fry your store bought beef... while grilling.. take the pattie out of the fast food burger.. and put it on a plate.. when your done grilling the store bought.. put it on the same plate...

Cover the plate and walk away.. (you can also put the cover plate in the grocery store bag..and tie the bag to prevent a smell).. forget about it for 2 days.. go back after two days.. and you will see something VERY interesting..

There is NO WAY .. a burger from a fast food place is as healthy for you as one made at home.. and if you think so.. maybe you should re-examine who is fooling themselves...

rockdawg21
05-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Spirit is correct. The fast food burger and fries will not decompose or mold, while the burger and fries you bought from the store will decompose and mold.

Chris F
05-22-2011, 07:24 PM
I would like to see how you get a meal for 4 out of 7 dollars.. You think a hamburger and fries is a meal? Like I said.. it's fast food.. it's cheap.. but not very good for you. People take the easy way out more often than not..

ChrisF.. you are VERY mistaken....

Compare the USDA grades of beef that are purchased by McD's and the like.. (Taco Bell was in court recently over the claim "100%beef")
Compare the oils used to make fries with say.. Rapeseed oil/Sesame oil...
Compare the ingerdients in most fast food places bread.. with the "mid range" brands of bread..

As far as sodas.. fact: fountain drinks contain much more syrup than a bottled soft drink..due to several reasons.. 1. fast food places pay almost nothing for syrup ..

(a few years ago a friend of mine was a asst dir of Coke and let me in on some of this.. a 5 gallon box of syrup was sold for something like 4 bucks.. that 5 gallon box can last for 2 days...) [/tangent alert]

The fountain machines are calabriated when installed and when they break.. between those times.. the calabraction tends to fail.. and you end up with much higher sugar than a "normal" fountain drink..

and then consider how often those fountian dispenseres are cleaned..

Yep, many grocery stores will carry much of the same products that you consume at a fast food place.. lettecue, pickles, condiments.. fruits and milks..

but do you ever wonder.. how/where they get these.. "food warehouses" are the same as a grocery store.. when stuff is starting to get "older".. they sell it cheaper.. guess who is the bigger purchaser of food priced to go from various wholesalers...

Now I know you are beyond being able to be educated by me.. no worries.. but don't lead others down a path you know little about.

If you truely think.. that the beef pattie in your McDs burger is as good and healthy for you as a 80% lean or even 75% lean (I can't recall if I have ever seen a 70%lean pacakge).. hamburger pattie than you make in your home.. your not only not trying to look past the curtian in front of your eyes.. you also put up your own blinds...

Try this for an experiment... just try.. see what happens...

Go to McDs/Wendys/BK/whatever... Buy cheap hamburger... nothing special.. what ever the "hamburger" is... and then go to the store.. and buy the cheapest.. oldest most fat filled pack of beef you can buy.. in fact.. ask the "meat market guy".. I want the oldest.. whatever you are going to throw away...

[tangent alert] (cause they do.. instead of donating.. they toss.. why do you think that they also have pad locks on most of their dumpsters)

Take that beef home.. along with the fast food burger.. Grill/fry your store bought beef... while grilling.. take the pattie out of the fast food burger.. and put it on a plate.. when your done grilling the store bought.. put it on the same plate...

Cover the plate and walk away.. (you can also put the cover plate in the grocery store bag..and tie the bag to prevent a smell).. forget about it for 2 days.. go back after two days.. and you will see something VERY interesting..

There is NO WAY .. a burger from a fast food place is as healthy for you as one made at home.. and if you think so.. maybe you should re-examine who is fooling themselves...

SW I have worked in restaurant for decades and I know more about the inside of the industry than you can ever imagine. As for USDA ratings of beef you got your info severely wrong. The grade of the beef is not the issue it is the fillers they put in. So your point is weak at best. And unless you butcher your own steer or cow you really should look into what goes into supermarket beef. I spent sometime working for a Missouri senator and had the privilege of being in some contact with the industry and if you think all you are getting is cow in the supermarket I want to sell you a bridge.

Chris F
05-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Spirit is correct. The fast food burger and fries will not decompose or mold, while the burger and fries you bought from the store will decompose and mold.

fillers and those same fillers are creeping into supermarket meats more and more every year. Ignorance is bliss here in America. The meat industry has successfully lobbied and have blocked in most states the need to list that. Texas, Wyoming and one of the Dakotas are the only states that really require companies to fully list the stuff they use in their feed and as fillers. Google it I am sure you will find some info pretty quick on it. In fact some states this year even had bills to try and list them. The fact is the Farmers are wise lobbyist and great contributors.

atomdanger
05-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Does anybody accept responsibility for their own actions anymore?

rockdawg21
05-22-2011, 09:29 PM
fillers and those same fillers are creeping into supermarket meats more and more every year. Ignorance is bliss here in America. The meat industry has successfully lobbied and have blocked in most states the need to list that. Texas, Wyoming and one of the Dakotas are the only states that really require companies to fully list the stuff they use in their feed and as fillers. Google it I am sure you will find some info pretty quick on it. In fact some states this year even had bills to try and list them. The fact is the Farmers are wise lobbyist and great contributors.
So, in other words, you'll just reply with your suspicion rather than doing that experiment?

Spiritwalker
05-22-2011, 10:10 PM
SW I have worked in restaurant for decades and I know more about the inside of the industry than you can ever imagine. As for USDA ratings of beef you got your info severely wrong. The grade of the beef is not the issue it is the fillers they put in. So your point is weak at best. And unless you butcher your own steer or cow you really should look into what goes into supermarket beef. I spent sometime working for a Missouri senator and had the privilege of being in some contact with the industry and if you think all you are getting is cow in the supermarket I want to sell you a bridge.

My point is hardly weak.... I happen to know what I am talking about.. from research.. from reading ingredients.. from living.. from needing to know how to live healthy... From having kids that I want to be better than me...

You said.. As for being crap food well anything you do not grow yourself and know its origins is crap because it is so sull of steriods and chemicals and such that is is no worse than Mickey D's. The Avereg supermarket food contains the same stuff as most fast food chains theses days because corp farms use many chemicals and such to push higher yields. Fact of life. So you can fool yourself by thinking what you are eating is any more healthy but reality minus fat grams and sodium it is not.

To put it in very easy to understand terms.....

Your wrong.

Compare the QUALITY of beef.. between a McDs burger (or most fast food places) and generic beef in a store... Store bought...70% lean..crap beef IS better for you than McDs...

The lettuce.. the pickles.. the onions.. all "scrap".. the condiments.. negligible.. The bread.. consider the kind of wheat.. All of that is much more healthy for you than what you are getting in most fast food restaurants...

McDs and the like.. are about QUANTITY... filling your belly... with "stuff".. but not what is better for you.

Then lets talk about why.. if you toss a McDs hamburger on the counter.. and do the same with a homemade hamburger... on the same counter.. and 3 days later... one is attracting flies.. and the other isn't.

Like I said.. people will more often than not.. take the easy way out.. Fast Food is the easy way out...

still wondering how you feed a family of four at meal at a fast food place for 7 bucks.

I have eaten in these places in the past.. and probably will in the future..but it is not a common happenstance..

Spiritwalker
05-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Wait! What?

A 670 Calorie (40g fat, 11g sugar) sandwich and (guessing the size) a 290 Calorie (77g sugar) medium Coke is a snack?
(960 calories, 40g fat, 88g sugar).

Looking at it on the surface.. yep.. I can see what you are saying... but ..

I will eat a light breakfast.. and a heavy lunch... a large roast beef sandwich on wheat bread with onions and lettecue.. maybe tomatoes.. or 2 or 3 bagels... some raw veggies... (pea pods.. brocolli, red/yellow/orange peppers.. stuff like that..) and then from there.. I leave work at 4.. head to the dojo.. and start teaching at 4:45.. I work out with the kids classes..jumping jacks.. pushups.. 5 minute run... general workouts.. then I either teach adults... (I teach 2 days a week min)....and I still do the workouts.. plus the class..I also teak the balintawak classes...and then adult karate.. then adult juijitsu.. If I am not teaching.. I get to the dojo around 6:45/7.. and take my classes...

Come home.. shower.. maybe have a beer or two..or a drink.. maybe wine... and then sleep.

I burn a whole lot of calories each day... I normally consume 16,000 calories a day...(roughly).. I will have to check that.. starting tomorrow... it's been awhile since I really checked that...

rockdawg21
05-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Looking at it on the surface.. yep.. I can see what you are saying... but ..

I will eat a light breakfast.. and a heavy lunch... a large roast beef sandwich on wheat bread with onions and lettecue.. maybe tomatoes.. or 2 or 3 bagels... some raw veggies... (pea pods.. brocolli, red/yellow/orange peppers.. stuff like that..) and then from there.. I leave work at 4.. head to the dojo.. and start teaching at 4:45.. I work out with the kids classes..jumping jacks.. pushups.. 5 minute run... general workouts.. then I either teach adults... (I teach 2 days a week min)....and I still do the workouts.. plus the class..I also teak the balintawak classes...and then adult karate.. then adult juijitsu.. If I am not teaching.. I get to the dojo around 6:45/7.. and take my classes...

Come home.. shower.. maybe have a beer or two..or a drink.. maybe wine... and then sleep.

I burn a whole lot of calories each day... I normally consume 16,000 calories a day...(roughly).. I will have to check that.. starting tomorrow... it's been awhile since I really checked that...
I think you'll find that you're likely not eating half of what you think you're consuming in calories, which is a good thing.

While were talking about experiments, document what you eat for a day or 2, download the program below (pcs23.exe if you're a Windows user), enter your information and see what you're really consuming each meal/daily basis.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/services/docs.htm?docid=5720

If not, I understand it's a pain in the butt and a lot of work, but I find it impossible to believe that you're consuming 16,000 calories a day. That, and that regardless of your training, that you're not 600 pounds.

Spiritwalker
05-23-2011, 01:27 AM
I think you'll find that you're likely not eating half of what you think you're consuming in calories, which is a good thing.

While were talking about experiments, document what you eat for a day or 2, download the program below (pcs23.exe if you're a Windows user), enter your information and see what you're really consuming each meal/daily basis.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/services/docs.htm?docid=5720

If not, I understand it's a pain in the butt and a lot of work, but I find it impossible to believe that you're consuming 16,000 calories a day. That, and that regardless of your training, that you're not 600 pounds.

Consider it done... my math may be off.. going to be interesting...

rockdawg21
05-23-2011, 01:39 AM
Consider it done... my math may be off.. going to be interesting...
Cool, you'll also like having an idea of how much/little you eat.

Chris F
05-23-2011, 07:25 AM
So, in other words, you'll just reply with your suspicion rather than doing that experiment?

I know that is what will happen. I have seen the experiment done and it is scary. My point is nothing from the grocery store if free of fillers the difference is the amount

Chris F
05-23-2011, 07:29 AM
My point is hardly weak.... I happen to know what I am talking about.. from research.. from reading ingredients.. from living.. from needing to know how to live healthy... From having kids that I want to be better than me...

You said..

To put it in very easy to understand terms.....

Your wrong.

Compare the QUALITY of beef.. between a McDs burger (or most fast food places) and generic beef in a store... Store bought...70% lean..crap beef IS better for you than McDs...

The lettuce.. the pickles.. the onions.. all "scrap".. the condiments.. negligible.. The bread.. consider the kind of wheat.. All of that is much more healthy for you than what you are getting in most fast food restaurants...

McDs and the like.. are about QUANTITY... filling your belly... with "stuff".. but not what is better for you.

Then lets talk about why.. if you toss a McDs hamburger on the counter.. and do the same with a homemade hamburger... on the same counter.. and 3 days later... one is attracting flies.. and the other isn't.

Like I said.. people will more often than not.. take the easy way out.. Fast Food is the easy way out...

still wondering how you feed a family of four at meal at a fast food place for 7 bucks.

I have eaten in these places in the past.. and probably will in the future..but it is not a common happenstance..

Keep lying to yourself. You are so full of crap your eyes are brown. If anyone else but me said it you would not say a word. I can say the world is round and you would argue. I do not know what your problem is but get over yourself already. The day you work in government and see first hand what they approve to go into food is the day you earn the right to say something until than get a clue already. Your life and parenthood is hardly a qualification for knowledge. Your opinions are not fact and unless you have a nice little link for your experiments they are really moot as well.

Spiritwalker
05-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Keep lying to yourself. You are so full of crap your eyes are brown. If anyone else but me said it you would not say a word.

Nope... I argue against lunacy with many people.

I can say the world is round and you would argue. I do not know what your problem is but get over yourself already.

No problems.. with the exception of why you want to belive McDs hamburgers are as good for you as one made at home.

You are talking about fillers.. I am talking about the actual quality of the beef. And I am still trying to figure out how you feed a family of 4 off of 7 dollars at a McDs.

The day you work in government and see first hand what they approve to go into food is the day you earn the right to say something until than get a clue already.

I don't have to "work for the government".. to be able to read.. And what position in the government did you have? After being a pro-wrestler, a biblical scholar, a manager of a restruant.. and who knows what else???

Your life and parenthood is hardly a qualification for knowledge.

Really??? Maybe I just live a more informative life than others.. maybe my concerns for the well being of my childern are more than others.. maybe I am super nerd.. But out of all the things I have seen you post.. that has got to be .. well.. the most dumb.

Your opinions are not fact and unless you have a nice little link for your experiments they are really moot as well.

well.. it's been done.. go watch Super Size Me. (remember you telling me to go to Washington.. and telling me to view the actual documents.. at least my request is only to watch a netflix movie)...

I just want to make sure I have this straight....

ChrisF says that a hamburger bought at McDs is just as healthy for you as a hambuger made at home. This is because the same "stuff" that is in a McDs hamburger.. is the same "stuff" that is in your packages of beef that are store bought. Am I correct?

rockdawg21
05-23-2011, 03:10 PM
I know that is what will happen. I have seen the experiment done and it is scary. My point is nothing from the grocery store if free of fillers the difference is the amount
Ok, that's fair enough. :)

Neezar
05-23-2011, 03:34 PM
:unsure-1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MJLi5_dyn0&feature=related

Spiritwalker
05-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Cool, you'll also like having an idea of how much/little you eat.

I used to keep a super close count.. but just got away from it..

So far today..
3 bagles (plain) 260x3=780
2 16oz bottles of pepsi (my one true weakness :sad:) 210x2 = 420

EDIT

heading to lunch in an hour.. define irony??? I am eating at Subway today!.

rockdawg21
05-23-2011, 03:55 PM

So far today..
Haha, I used to drink tons of Wild Cherry Pepsi, probably a 12 pack each day easily. Anymore, I may have just like 2 diet sodas a day.

County Mike
05-23-2011, 03:56 PM
16,000 calories per day is insanely high. At my peak, I was eating around 5,000 per day. They said during heavy training, Michael Phelps was eating 12,000 per day.

I'd have to guess that you're under 10,000 and probably closer to 5,000 per day. Otherwise, you'd resemble a balloon.

Spiritwalker
05-23-2011, 03:57 PM

I am not talking about fillers.. you want lotsa of fillers.. go to Taco Bell...

I am speaking of the quality of the actual beef.

Think about what various fast food chains do to their beef after they receive it.. before they freeze it and send it to your local chain.

Spiritwalker
05-23-2011, 04:06 PM
16,000 calories per day is insanely high. At my peak, I was eating around 5,000 per day. They said during heavy training, Michael Phelps was eating 12,000 per day.

I'd have to guess that you're under 10,000 and probably closer to 5,000 per day. Otherwise, you'd resemble a balloon.

heh.. yeah.. having to check my numbers...

take a look at this..

http://calorielab.com/burned/

by this chart I burn 612 calories just at the dojo.. per hour.. I am at the dojo from 4:30 to 9:15.. three days a week.. working the whole time.. that's 3060calories burned just during that time...

Miss Foxy
05-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Haha, I used to drink tons of Wild Cherry Pepsi, probably a 12 pack each day easily. Anymore, I may have just like 2 diet sodas a day.

You might as well have 2 regular pops the diet pop is toxic pretty much.

County Mike
05-23-2011, 05:58 PM
heh.. yeah.. having to check my numbers...

take a look at this..

http://calorielab.com/burned/

by this chart I burn 612 calories just at the dojo.. per hour.. I am at the dojo from 4:30 to 9:15.. three days a week.. working the whole time.. that's 3060calories burned just during that time...

Sounds about right. Add in the normal person's 2000 calories per day for the rest of your day and you're in the 5000 range. That's also assuming you don't take any breaks while at the dojo. I'm guessing you get the occasional break so probably under 3000 burned at the dojo, still putting you around 5K per day. Which is a pretty normal number for an athlete in training.

Maldonado136
05-23-2011, 06:55 PM
I can't stand people that outrage over something that should have nothing to do with them. Get a life and actually be involved with your kid instead of being a lazy loser who wants to blame everyone else for your shortcomings. That picture just screams "I'm an idiot who can't take responsibility for my own problems so I have to carry a stupid sign and blame others!" They say "marketing to kids" as if the parent isn't the one who decides whether or not to go.

Spiritwalker
05-23-2011, 07:59 PM
I can't stand people that outrage over something that should have nothing to do with them. Get a life and actually be involved with your kid instead of being a lazy loser who wants to blame everyone else for your shortcomings. That picture just screams "I'm an idiot who can't take responsibility for my own problems so I have to carry a stupid sign and blame others!" They say "marketing to kids" as if the parent isn't the one who decides whether or not to go.

:applause:

Spiritwalker
05-23-2011, 08:03 PM

So far today..

EDIT

heading to lunch in an hour.. define irony??? I am eating at Subway today!.

Had a footlong meatball sub w/cheese (1094 calories :scared0015:)) , another 16oz pepsi fountain drink and a refill 420 calories. My flavored water for the rest of the day until I get hom tonight. I drink about a gallon of water a day.. it will be less today because I went out for lunch.

Total so far...

man this is a small day I guess.. I had a feeling that my numbers were off when I started looking around a bit.. but even if you factor in a HUGE dinner.. I don't think I will make 10K today.

rockdawg21
05-23-2011, 08:33 PM
You might as well have 2 regular pops the diet pop is toxic pretty much.
Yeah, sure it is. That's why people who drink diet soda are dying left and right, and developing different illnesses than everybody else. :rolleyes:

rockdawg21
05-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Had a footlong meatball sub w/cheese (1094 calories :scared0015:)) , another 16oz pepsi fountain drink and a refill 420 calories. My flavored water for the rest of the day until I get hom tonight. I drink about a gallon of water a day.. it will be less today because I went out for lunch.

Total so far...

man this is a small day I guess.. I had a feeling that my numbers were off when I started looking around a bit.. but even if you factor in a HUGE dinner.. I don't think I will make 10K today.
Cool stuff, keep it coming!

Miss Foxy
05-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah, sure it is. That's why people who drink diet soda are dying left and right, and developing different illnesses than everybody else. :rolleyes:

No they just get sudden headaches, blurred vision, and unexplainable shaking sometimes.. :rolleyes:

Neezar
05-23-2011, 08:59 PM

Not one doctor I know will touch a diet drink. Aspartame is a dangerous drug. (yes, I said drug.)

rockdawg21
05-23-2011, 09:30 PM
No they just get sudden headaches, blurred vision, and unexplainable shaking sometimes.. :rolleyes:
So, these phenomenon only occur to people who drink diet soda? :unsure-1:

Miss Foxy
05-23-2011, 09:36 PM
So, these phenomenon only occur to people who drink diet soda? :unsure-1:

I ain't looking for you to be a smart a**.. I was only trying to be nice and warn you against the negative side effects of aspartame is all. It's your body do what you want.

rockdawg21
05-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Not one doctor I know will touch a diet drink. Aspartame is a dangerous drug. (yes, I said drug.)
Well, according to a 2007 study in the Critical Reviews of Toxicology, performed by, well, several doctors states that "The weight of existing evidence is that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a nonnutritive sweetener." I know literally hundreds of people who drink diet soda and not a single person has died, gotten cancer, experienced headaches, etc. as a result of doing so.

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408440701516184
Aspartame: A Safety Evaluation Based on Current Use Levels, Regulations, and Toxicological and Epidemiological Studies

2007, Vol. 37, No. 8 , Pages 629-727
B. A. Magnuson, G. A. Burdock, J. Doull, R. M. Kroes, G. M. Marsh, M. W. Pariza, P. S. Spencer, W. J. Waddell, R. Walker and G. M. Williams
Burdock Group, Washington, DC, USA
Burdock Group, Vero Beach, Florida, USA
University of Kansas Medical School, Kansas City, Kansas, USA
Institute for Risk Assessment Sciences, Utrecht, The Netherlands
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, USA
University of Louisville Medical School, Louisville, Kentucky, USA
University of Surrey, Guilford, Great Britain
New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York, USA

Department of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 20740, USA

Aspartame is a methyl ester of a dipeptide used as a synthetic nonnutritive sweetener in over 90 countries worldwide in over 6000 products. The purpose of this investigation was to review the scientific literature on the absorption and metabolism, the current consumption levels worldwide, the toxicology, and recent epidemiological studies on aspartame. Current use levels of aspartame, even by high users in special subgroups, remains well below the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and European Food Safety Authority established acceptable daily intake levels of 50 and 40 mg/kg bw/day, respectively. Consumption of large doses of aspartame in a single bolus dose will have an effect on some biochemical parameters, including plasma amino acid levels and brain neurotransmitter levels. The rise in plasma levels of phenylalanine and aspartic acid following administration of aspartame at doses less than or equal to 50 mg/kg bw do not exceed those observed postprandially. Acute, subacute and chronic toxicity studies with aspartame, and its decomposition products, conducted in mice, rats, hamsters and dogs have consistently found no adverse effect of aspartame with doses up to at least 4000 mg/kg bw/day. Critical review of all carcinogenicity studies conducted on aspartame found no credible evidence that aspartame is carcinogenic. The data from the extensive investigations into the possibility of neurotoxic effects of aspartame, in general, do not support the hypothesis that aspartame in the human diet will affect nervous system function, learning or behavior. Epidemiological studies on aspartame include several case-control studies and one well-conducted prospective epidemiological study with a large cohort, in which the consumption of aspartame was measured. The studies provide no evidence to support an association between aspartame and cancer in any tissue. The weight of existing evidence is that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a nonnutritive sweetener.

rockdawg21
05-23-2011, 09:38 PM
I ain't looking for you to be a smart a**.. I was only trying to be nice and warn you against the negative side effects of aspartame is all. It's your body do what you want.
LOL, and I appreciate that you care Foxy but I'm well aware of all the "bad things" about aspartame. I'm not trying to be a smart ass or insult you, I'm only trying to make my point. Just because one experiences those things doesn't mean diet soda is the cause of it. Why is one person allergic to bee stings and another person isn't? It's just part of how God created our individual biochemistry.

Spiritwalker
05-24-2011, 02:18 AM

AMY!!!!!

Movie Blog?? B-Man fan???

Chris F
05-24-2011, 06:36 AM
Nope... I argue against lunacy with many people.

No problems.. with the exception of why you want to belive McDs hamburgers are as good for you as one made at home.

You are talking about fillers.. I am talking about the actual quality of the beef. And I am still trying to figure out how you feed a family of 4 off of 7 dollars at a McDs.

I don't have to "work for the government".. to be able to read.. And what position in the government did you have? After being a pro-wrestler, a biblical scholar, a manager of a restruant.. and who knows what else???

Really??? Maybe I just live a more informative life than others.. maybe my concerns for the well being of my childern are more than others.. maybe I am super nerd.. But out of all the things I have seen you post.. that has got to be .. well.. the most dumb.

well.. it's been done.. go watch Super Size Me. (remember you telling me to go to Washington.. and telling me to view the actual documents.. at least my request is only to watch a netflix movie)...

I just want to make sure I have this straight....

ChrisF says that a hamburger bought at McDs is just as healthy for you as a hambuger made at home. This is because the same "stuff" that is in a McDs hamburger.. is the same "stuff" that is in your packages of beef that are store bought. Am I correct?

That is pure asininity foolishness. I never said anything of the sort and you must not have learned read. All I said is that even the supermarket beef is not free form unhealthy stuff like fillers and chemicals. But since my name was attached to the post you got your panties in a wad again and ignored what I wrote. I am coming to walk away because I know all you see is your own rose colored glasses and refuse to think hey someone else might be right. Did you even bother to google it? doubtful. Just do what you do best and ignore my post and spare me your ignorance by replying.

flo
05-24-2011, 08:23 AM

+++

Neezar
05-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Well, according to a 2007 study in the Critical Reviews of Toxicology, performed by, well, several doctors states that "The weight of existing evidence is that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a nonnutritive sweetener." I know literally hundreds of people who drink diet soda and not a single person has died, gotten cancer, experienced headaches, etc. as a result of doing so.

In 2008...

In the intervening years, safety concerns have mushroomed. Ralph G. Walton, MD, Professor of Psychiatry at Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, reviewed all the studies on aspartame and found 166 with relevance for human safety. Every one of the 74 studies funded by the aspartame industry gave it a clean bill of health, while 92 percent of those independently funded revealed safety problems.

:wink:

Go to google and type in 'Dangers of Diet Soda'. There are hundreds of medical articles on years of studies (many in 2011). For every 1 that says it is safe there tons that disagree.

Neezar
05-24-2011, 11:46 AM
ps My kids love McDonalds. And I do, too, on days when I need a break.

Spiritwalker
05-24-2011, 11:52 AM
That is pure asininity foolishness. I never said anything of the sort and you must not have learned read. All I said is that even the supermarket beef is not free form unhealthy stuff like fillers and chemicals. But since my name was attached to the post you got your panties in a wad again and ignored what I wrote. I am coming to walk away because I know all you see is your own rose colored glasses and refuse to think hey someone else might be right. Did you even bother to google it? doubtful. Just do what you do best and ignore my post and spare me your ignorance by replying.

[QUOTE=Chris F;167180]As for being crap food well anything you do not grow yourself and know its origins is crap because it is so sull of steriods and chemicals and such that is is no worse than Mickey D's.

Neezar
05-24-2011, 12:00 PM

Do you personally know of anyone who smokes and died of lung cancer? I don't. But I have no doubts that cigs can cause lung cancer.

County Mike
05-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Artificial sweeteners cause drain bamage!

Seriously, it's crap. Regular sugar is less harmful to your body and Stevia, from what I've read, is a natural 0-calorie sweetener that is a much better "diet" choice.

DonnaMaria
05-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Artificial sweeteners cause drain bamage!

Seriously, it's crap. Regular sugar is less harmful to your body and Stevia, from what I've read, is a natural 0-calorie sweetener that is a much better "diet" choice.

:laugh:

Actually, I didn't believe that artificial sweeteners were bad UNTIL my doc told me to aviod them for two months. I drank iced tea that was lightly sweetened with real sugar, rather than the artificial stuff. I calculated that the caloric count was about 25 calories per glass. ( 16 oz glass )

At the end of the two months I had less headache pain and less overall pain in my body. And I lost a few pounds without changing my diet or exercise plan.

Now if I drink it I get an instant headache. And it just makes me more thirsty. :blink: