PDA

View Full Version : Have Mexicans Will Travel

BamaGrits84
05-13-2011, 09:51 PM
I just had a friend send me a picture of the back of a truck that belongs to a construction company. Along with a sign on each side of the tailgate that list the company name and phone number there is a sign that says "Have Mexicans Will Travel." It is so sad that such a direct admittance of criminal activity will never be addressed even though our city has an ordnance allow the revocation of business licenses for anyone caught employing an illegal immigrant.

Even if you don't oppose penalties against those who employ illegal immigrants, surely you at least find it wrong that "Mexicans" are being cast as objects by this business owner.

I'll share the picture when I get home. I'm debating on if I should call, or maybe hold a rally infront of the business.

Miss Foxy
05-13-2011, 09:55 PM
I just had a friend send me a picture of the back of a truck that belongs to a construction company. Along with a sign on each side of the tailgate that list the company name and phone number there is a sign that says "Have Mexicans Will Travel." It is so sad that such a direct admittance of criminal activity will never be addressed even though our city has an ordnance allow the revocation of business licenses for anyone caught employing an illegal immigrant.

Even if you don't oppose penalties against those who employ illegal immigrants, surely you at least find it wrong that "Mexicans" are being cast as objects by this business owner.

I'll share the picture when I get home. I'm debating on if I should call, or maybe hold a rally infront of the business.
Thats very funny that some people assume a brown person is "A MEXICAN" lol. I would like to go out there Bama and cuss someone out with ya! :irked::fighting0023:Don't even bother wasting your time on people like that spend time with your family. These idiots will get theres..

NateR
05-14-2011, 12:08 AM

Basically the guy is no better than a modern day slave owner and he seems to be proud of it.

Buzzard
05-14-2011, 12:08 AM

How do you know that these "Mexicans" are illegal? What illegal activity are they admitting? Just because someone has brown skin doesn't make them illegal.

NateR
05-14-2011, 12:13 AM
How do you know that these "Mexicans" are illegal? What illegal activity are they admitting? Just because someone has brown skin doesn't make them illegal.

Um, they're called "Mexicans." That would imply that they are from Mexico. If they were American citizens, then they would be Americans (or Hispanic-Americans) not Mexicans.

If this guy is referring to American citizens as Mexicans, then he's just an idiot.

Buzzard
05-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Um, they're called "Mexicans." That would imply that they are from Mexico. If they were American citizens, then they would be Americans (or Hispanic-Americans) not Mexicans.

If this guy is referring to American citizens as Mexicans, then he's just an idiot.

What do you call them when they are here legally with a work visa? Methinks you would call them Mexicans. When one moves to America, they don't magically lose their heritage or the country of their birth. People at my work used to refer to me as an "Irish puke", though I have lived in the USA my whole life. I hear people refer to any brown skinned person as a Mexican, regardless of their citizenship.

Again, what illegal activity are they admitting?

EDIT:

You just made an argument for me without even realizing it. Yes, Mexicans are from Mexico, even if they move legally to the good ole U S of A.

BamaGrits84
05-14-2011, 01:44 PM

Because I'm not stupid.

My husband works in contruction in this town. I'm 100% sure that off all the companies hiring illegal immigrants this guy isn't the saint in the bunch. I would even go so far as to say not one construction company in town isn't free from at least subcontracting to someone who works illegal immigrants.

Let me ask you something? How many latino people do you know who are legal citizens who work construction? I know 1 and he is the owner of a company. Of the 8 latino legal immgrants I know only 1 works in contruction and he is the owner mentioned above. So you think the business owner with this sign went around town seeking the very few legal mexicans wiling to work construction and hired them? No and to believe so is foolish.

So based on the likelyhood that his mexicans are illegal I would say it is safe to say he is admitting to working illegal employees.

Why are you in support of acting like illegal immigration isn't a huge problem?

BamaGrits84
05-14-2011, 01:46 PM
What do you call them when they are here legally with a work visa? Methinks you would call them Mexicans. When one moves to America, they don't magically lose their heritage or the country of their birth. People at my work used to refer to me as an "Irish puke", though I have lived in the USA my whole life. I hear people refer to any brown skinned person as a Mexican, regardless of their citizenship.

EDIT:

You just made an argument for me without even realizing it. Yes, Mexicans are from Mexico, even if they move legally to the good ole U S of A.

Are you not aware that being in this country without a visa greencard or citizenship is illegal? Hopping a fence is not how we issue visas.

Buzzard
05-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Because I'm not stupid.

My husband works in contruction in this town. I'm 100% sure that off all the companies hiring illegal immigrants this guy isn't the saint in the bunch. I would even go so far as to say not one construction company in town isn't free from at least subcontracting to someone who works illegal immigrants.

Let me ask you something? How many latino people do you know who are legal citizens who work construction? I know 1 and he is the owner of a company. Of the 8 latino legal immgrants I know only 1 works in contruction and he is the owner mentioned above. So you think the business owner with this sign went around town seeking the very few legal mexicans wiling to work construction and hired them? No and to believe so is foolish.

So based on the likelyhood that his mexicans are illegal I would say it is safe to say he is admitting to working illegal employees.

Judging by your grammar and spelling, we'll just say your "underknowledged.":wink: That's a joke.

Do I get to include the latino's I used to know when I lived in CA? I knew quite a few who worked 2 jobs, construction being one of them. You know what, they are legal citizens. I don't know many people of Mexican descent where I live now, though I know many at my workplace.

When I was working the books running my friends construction company and doing all of the paperwork for hiring and firing, he had 3 on the books if I recall correctly.

Huh?

Where do I support illegal immigration in anything I have posted? Where have I stated that illegal immigration isn't a problem? You should read what I write and not project your own issues into my statements.

Are you not aware that being in this country without a visa greencard or citizenship is illegal? Hopping a fence is not how we issue visas.

Are you aware that brown skinned people can be and have been born in the USA and are citizens? If you are so upset at this issue, call your local authorities. If you see it and don't act, you are condoning it. Never said hopping the fence is a legal way to get a visa. Nice try though.

NateR
05-14-2011, 08:24 PM

EDIT:

Yeah, I think you are arguing just to argue here. That bumper sticker makes so sense whatsoever if we're talking about legal immigrants to the United States. In fact, it's actually kind of racist if you take it out of the context of a political statement on illegal immigration.

The simplest way to prove that is to take out the reference to Mexicans and replace it with any other ethnic group:
Have Africans Will Travel
Have Japanese Will Travel
Have Jews Will Travel
Have North Koreans Will Travel
Have Iraqis Will Travel
Have Germans Will Travel
Have Somalians Will Travel

Do any of those make any sense to you?

Miss Foxy
05-16-2011, 03:18 PM
I just find it amusing that any person of a latin look is referred to as "A MEXICAN" ummm hello.. Salvadorians, Guatemelans, Cubans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans...

Twinsmama
05-16-2011, 03:56 PM
I would never call anyone with that sign on their truck.

I feel like he's showing his ignorance. Whether or not they are illegal is another story. He could get the "mexicans" from a day labor and they could be totally legal.

If it bothers you enough to make a thread though you need to find out if they are illegals or not. If they are report it to the authorities. Especially if your husband is in the same business they are taking food off your table.

VCURamFan
05-16-2011, 04:00 PM
I just find it amusing that any person of a latin look is referred to as "A MEXICAN" ummm hello.. Salvadorians, Guatemelans, Cubans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans...
It really depends on which portions of the nation your in for which nationality you use as a catch-all. In Florida, they're all Cubans. In New York, they're all Peurto Ricans, etc.

County Mike
05-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Basically the guy is no better than a modern day slave owner and he seems to be proud of it.

I wouldn't go that far. The "Mexicans" he's referring to have sought out employment, are paid for their work and have the option to leave whenever they want.

Miss Foxy
05-16-2011, 05:31 PM
It really depends on which portions of the nation your in for which nationality you use as a catch-all. In Florida, they're all Cubans. In New York, they're all Peurto Ricans, etc.

I know when I was in Connecticut the people were speaking some funny spanish. They were all Dominican/Puerto Rican. :laugh:

Spiritwalker
05-16-2011, 05:41 PM

My instrutor is Colombian.. and it's not that he gets offended (he doesn't even have much of a hispanic look).. he just thinks that is shows peoples "ignorance" when that label gets tossed around..