PDA

View Full Version : Women love, but some men hate..

Miss Foxy
05-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Make-up women love but men hate editor
by Piper Weiss, Shine Staff, on Mon May 2, 2011 12:53am PDT 185 Comments Post a Comment Read More from This Author Report Abuse ShareretweetEmailPrintNeon lips, blue eyeshadow, shimmering glitter, and golden bronzers: This spring, some of the most dramatic looks we saw on the runways are making their way onto our faces. But not everything we dabble on pleases everyone. We had a hunch that some of our biggest beauty obsessions might be turn-offs for guys...so we went ahead asked. Prepare yourself: brutal honesty ensues.

ThinkStock Photos

1. Heavy foundation and powders: "The inch-thick powder is a huge turn-off," says Maxim senior editor Nick Leftley. "No guy wants to kiss a girl on the cheek and then find hes wearing foundation himself." A flaking face is one thing, but when your cheek becomes a palette of skin-tone colors, men pay attention...and not the good attention. "I'm always amazed to see women with two-tone faces, two apparently different shades of skin on the face, as if they apply makeup in the dark," says James Oliver Cury, the online editorial director at Maxim. "I'd rather see one greasy face than some sort of melanin imbalance. The nose should match the cheeks."

Getty Images
2. "Bumps": I never liked, or knew of any other guy who liked, the Gwen Stefani "bumpit" look," says Henry Belanger, an editor at The Good Men Project. "Be wary of anything that makes your head look unnaturally large."

3. Neon lipstick: Most of the fashion world agreed that electric pouts were a beauty "do" this season. Some men, however, beg to differ. "Orange lips are definitely a departure from what we're used to and not necessarily something a lot of guys I know really respond to just quite yet, say fashion blogger John Januzzi of Lucky and the fashion website, Textbook.

4. Too-thin brows:"My pet peeve is overly plucked eyebrows," says David Swanson, Maxim's Features Editor."I mean, really? It's basically an advertisement that naturally you're hairier than Robin Williams. If it looks natural, we'd never have to wonder."

Getty Images

5. Bold eye-shadow: "I don't understand the revival of bright blue eyeshadow," proposes Maxim's Cury. "Is it retro? Is it purposefully over-the-top? To my eyes, it just looks tacky no matter how you wear it." Lucky's Januzzi isn't as bothered by color as he is by application. "Smoky eyes--when done right are great--very sexy and attractive but when done wrong they look a total mess," he says. "Seek professional guidance before trying at home."

6. Rosy cheeks: As far as make-up goes, I think rouge is for old ladies, adds Good Men Project's Belanger. "I think guys generally prefer the kind of make-up you don't notice is there, and since there's a lot that guys don't notice I think women have a lot of leeway."

Getty Images
7. Two-toned lips:Remember Kim Mathers? She was almost as famous for her lip liner issues as she was for being defamed by Eminem. According to our dude survey, the pucker problem was more serious. "When I see thin lines drawn around a pair of lips, I think: Is this part of some gang initiation rite?" says Cury.

8. Glitter:"Women need to be judicious with it," says Cury. "Its like any good seasoning. You shouldn't shake it all over. It can overwhelm the main course." That being said, he's not opposed to a heavy sprinkle of cleavage glitter. Figures

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/make-up-women-love-but-men-hate-2479792/

Miss Foxy
05-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I agree with everything except #6.. I love blush! :ashamed:

Primadawn
05-10-2011, 08:54 PM
I agree with everything except #6.. I love blush! :ashamed:

I love glitter! :happydancing:

Tyburn
05-10-2011, 09:24 PM
I did a colour-me-beautiful course once :ashamed:

Each Woman should wear makeup and clothes that suit their figures and natural tones, in terms of colour and design...which is usually enhancement of whats there, or deliberate stark contrast.

...not that im an expert :unsure:

logrus
05-10-2011, 09:27 PM
God I hate glitter, talk about incriminating evidence, that crap gets everywhere ... :laugh:

Play The Man
05-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Thin eyebrows are the worst! Some women pluck them off and have fake ones tattooed on!:vomit:

Play The Man
05-10-2011, 09:34 PM

Each Woman should wear makeup and clothes that suit their figures and natural tones, in terms of colour and design...which is usually enhancement of whats there, or deliberate stark contrast.

:jaw-dropping:

Miss Foxy
05-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Thin eyebrows are the worst! Some women pluck them off and have fake ones tattooed on!:vomit:

That's the chola or trailer park trash that do that!! lol.. It is gross to see that.. yuck. I agree!!

BamaGrits84
05-10-2011, 09:45 PM
:laugh: I just finsihed reading this before I came here.

If it doesn't look natural I don't wear it with the exception of glossy lipsticks. I love gloss but not the kind that is so thick it feels like I have vaseline on my lips. Even with gloss I give it the kiss the paper to keep it from being too much.

Eyebrows - I do my own because someone went so thin on mine I had to fill the in with a pencil for 3 weeks. I don't like fake arches either.

Miss Foxy
05-10-2011, 09:46 PM

Wow I would have never guessed you would have taken a course, but that's cool!! One thing women do that's very wrong is match their eyeshadow to their clothes! Big mistake. If you are wearing a blue dress no need for blue eyeshadow! Neutral browns are always a hit! Whether its a matte, bronze, or frost you can't lose...

Miss Foxy
05-10-2011, 09:47 PM
:laugh: I just finsihed reading this before I came here.

If it doesn't look natural I don't wear it with the exception of glossy lipsticks. I love gloss but not the kind that is so thick it feels like I have vaseline on my lips. Even with gloss I give it the kiss the paper to keep it from being too much.

Eyebrows - I do my own because someone went so thin on mine I had to fill the in with a pencil for 3 weeks. I don't like fake arches either.

I can be the biggest makeup whore!! However I know what and how to use it.. I also can't stand idiots who apply false eyelashes and end up looking like a horse because they did not trim the lashes prior to applying! :laugh: I do fake arches on my eyebrows! :ashamed:

Primadawn
05-10-2011, 09:49 PM
OK, I agree with the thin brow thing--too much plucking/waxing on the eyebrows is not a good thing.

BUT! I also hate seeing bushy unkempt eyebrows! It gives me the same feeling as seeing a woman who doesn't get pedicures...if THAT is what you're showing the whole world, good heavens-what's UNDER your clothes? :scared0011:

Miss Foxy
05-10-2011, 09:50 PM
OK, I agree with the thin brow thing--too much plucking/waxing on the eyebrows is not a good thing.

BUT! I also hate seeing bushy unkempt eyebrows! It gives me the same feeling as seeing a woman who doesn't get pedicures...if THAT is what you're showing the whole world, good heavens-what's UNDER your clothes? :scared0011:

LMAO!!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Primadawn
05-10-2011, 09:52 PM
God I hate glitter, talk about incriminating evidence, that crap gets everywhere ... :laugh:

I was j/k about loving it. :laugh: It should only be sold to little girls. And strippers. :laugh:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
05-10-2011, 10:03 PM
To me most Women look better without makeup!

TexasRN
05-10-2011, 10:28 PM
I finally started using Bare Minerals. It really looks and feels like I'm not wearing any makeup most days. It just evens out my skin tone and helps cover up my sleepy eye circles. :ashamed: I can do more if I am going out in the evening and go for a more made up look. I almost never wear eyeshadow.

I pluck my eyebrows myself just to keep them natural looking but separate. I never had a true unibrow but there is enough in the middle to need plucking. I don't wear lipstick. I can't stand the way it feels. Plus my first boyfriend told me they used to make it out of bat guano and I never got that image out of my head!

I don't get mani-pedis. I hate people touching my feet and my nails look fine without the extra money spent on them. Plus being a nurse means I keep them short and clean.

~Amy

Miss Foxy
05-10-2011, 11:12 PM
I finally started using Bare Minerals. It really looks and feels like I'm not wearing any makeup most days. It just evens out my skin tone and helps cover up my sleepy eye circles. :ashamed: I can do more if I am going out in the evening and go for a more made up look. I almost never wear eyeshadow.

I pluck my eyebrows myself just to keep them natural looking but separate. I never had a true unibrow but there is enough in the middle to need plucking. I don't wear lipstick. I can't stand the way it feels. Plus my first boyfriend told me they used to make it out of bat guano and I never got that image out of my head!

I don't get mani-pedis. I hate people touching my feet and my nails look fine without the extra money spent on them. Plus being a nurse means I keep them short and clean.

~Amy

I love bare minerals..

Miss Foxy
05-10-2011, 11:12 PM

awww :wink:I am gonna post a pic of me without makeup! lol..

flo
05-10-2011, 11:30 PM

Me too. It taught me not to be afraid to accessorize.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/page-137-041.jpg

:)

flo
05-10-2011, 11:32 PM

~Amy

Ditto. As a gardener, I have to keep mine short as well.

DonnaMaria
05-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Me too. It taught me not to be afraid to accessorize.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/page-137-041.jpg

:)

wow...........:scared0011:

put a blonde wig on "her" and it's my Aunt Marietta..............

flo
05-10-2011, 11:38 PM
wow...........:scared0011:

put a blonde wig on "her" and it's my Aunt Marietta..............

tee hee

DM, I think you'd win the MHF contest for nicest feet (esp. with that little song tattoo). My sister treats herself every month to a pedicure; she wanted me to go with her but, like Amy, I don't want strangers touching my feet! Ditto for a massage! brrrr

Miss Foxy
05-10-2011, 11:45 PM
tee hee

DM, I think you'd win the MHF contest for nicest feet (esp. with that little song tattoo). My sister treats herself every month to a pedicure; she wanted me to go with her but, like Amy, I don't want strangers touching my feet! Ditto for a massage! brrrr

Depends who you ask! lol. I have a clover on my foot and girl I spoil my babies (feet)... I have a thing for my feet being touched.. Touch away.. :laugh:If HughesGoat would like to comment he has seen my feet..

DonnaMaria
05-10-2011, 11:49 PM
tee hee

Aw.......you are very sweet but I must confess that pics can be misleading. lol. I have typical "Sicilian" feet.......short little toes! :laugh: Along with short everything else! :rolleyes::laugh:

And I don't get pedicures either because I don't like people telling me anything about my "fat little toes.":angry: I've had that happen a few times in the past!:ashamed:

But I am pretty happy with my tat! I think it makes my foot look slimmer!:ashamed: So, thank you for the compliment! :)

Miss Foxy
05-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Aw.......you are very sweet but I must confess that pics can be misleading. lol. I have typical "Sicilian" feet.......short little toes! :laugh: Along with short everything else! :rolleyes::laugh:

And I don't get pedicures either because I don't like people telling me anything about my "fat little toes.":angry: I've had that happen a few times in the past!:ashamed:

But I am pretty happy with my tat! I think it makes my foot look slimmer!:ashamed: So, thank you for the compliment! :)

Long, skinny, feet are the worst so be thankful for your little toes! My mom has long claws I tell her they are nasty! lol.

flo
05-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Depends who you ask! lol. I have a clover on my foot and girl I spoil my babies (feet)... I have a thing for my feet being touched.. Touch away.. :laugh:If HughesGoat would like to comment he has seen my feet..

Ooh la la!! I have a feeling there is a good story behind that, Miss Foxy... :)

VCURamFan
05-11-2011, 02:16 AM
Long, skinny, feet are the worst so be thankful for your little toes! My mom has long claws I tell her they are nasty! lol.

Nothing wrong with long toes!! I can pick stuff up with mine. I know it sounds lazy, but when you're 6'4" & you drop your pen, the floor is a loooooong ways away. :laugh:

I've never considered getting a pedicure because I know how jacked up my toe nails are & I wouldn't wish that on anyone! :ninja: :scared0011:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
05-11-2011, 05:13 AM
awww :wink:I am gonna post a pic of me without makeup! lol..

Go ahead! I suspect you will look even better without the paint!

Bonnie
05-11-2011, 07:54 AM

:laugh:

Bonnie
05-11-2011, 08:14 AM
tee hee

Massage can be theraputic...loosen up tight painful muscles. You might not believe it, but something that feels soooo good, is when they massage your hands. Ranks right up there with chocolate! :laugh:

Oh, and I totally agree with plucked-to-nothing eyebrows! :no:

flo
05-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Massage can be theraputic...loosen up tight painful muscles. You might not believe it, but something that feels soooo good, is when they massage your hands. Ranks right up there with chocolate! :laugh:

Yes, they are frightening!

Heh, I've had a professional massage but it kind of creeped me out. The next time my friend gave me a gift of a massage, I told her she should take the massage and I'd take a giant Mr. Goodbar instead. :laugh:

TexasRN
05-11-2011, 11:38 AM

I have a standing appointment with Dan, my masseuse. He isn't allowed to mess with my feet but he can massage anywhere else that he wants. I am quite fine with being nude and getting the full massage (no happy ending, Mike). :laugh: I promise myself that I will get treatec every 4 weeks. The money is worth it. I can tell when it's been close to 4 weeks and it's time for me to go back because my muscles stay tighter. It makes a huge difference in how I feel and helps me recover from exercise soreness. Plus we do our own little book/movie club while he works on me. :cool: I'll never give up my massages. Never.

~Amy

County Mike
05-11-2011, 12:53 PM

My immediate thought as well. That glitter gets EVERYWHERE! Why do the strip club dancers wear that stuff? The heavy perfume is bad enough but the glitter is a dead give away.

County Mike
05-11-2011, 01:02 PM

+1

rearnakedchoke
05-11-2011, 02:13 PM
My immediate thought as well. That glitter gets EVERYWHERE! Why do the strip club dancers wear that stuff? The heavy perfume is bad enough but the glitter is a dead give away.

apparently, that is why they do it .. cuz they knew most guys would go home to their wife or gf and would have some explaining to do .. LOL .. a lot of clubs forbid it now .. not that i know first hand or anything ..

County Mike
05-11-2011, 02:18 PM
I am quite fine with being nude and getting the full massage (no happy ending, Mike).

You're getting ripped off! :laugh:

DonnaMaria
05-11-2011, 04:21 PM
I love using glitter...........

but mine is the edible kind! :ninja::wink::laugh:

Miss Foxy
05-11-2011, 04:41 PM

My old makeup teacher (aunt) used to say are you a chicken?? When I would say I need to "pluck" my brows!! LOL..She preferred tweeze! :happydancing:

Miss Foxy
05-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Nothing wrong with long toes!! I can pick stuff up with mine. I know it sounds lazy, but when you're 6'4" & you drop your pen, the floor is a loooooong ways away. :laugh:

I've never considered getting a pedicure because I know how jacked up my toe nails are & I wouldn't wish that on anyone! :ninja: :scared0011:

LOL!! Sounds like my brothers feet! You should get one at least once in your life Ben try it you might like it!!!:frantics:

VCURamFan
05-11-2011, 04:52 PM
LOL!! Sounds like my brothers feet! You should get one at least once in your life Ben try it you might like it!!!:frantics:
I'm sure I would, I would jut feel guilty for traumatizing somebody. :laugh:

Primadawn
05-11-2011, 05:04 PM
For all you guys saying you prefer women without makeup...

I recently read an article (I think it was in Cosmo, but don't quote me) where pics of women were shown to men and the men were to choose the most attractive look for a woman.

There were 3 pics of each woman-1 with NO makeup, 1 with minimal, natural looking makeup, and 1 with warpaint.

Overwhelmingly, men chose the pics with the minimal, natural looking makeup. Almost NOBODY actually chose the looks with NO makeup. :laugh:

Miss Foxy
05-11-2011, 05:07 PM
I am not orange its the background making me look like an Oompa Loompa!

Miss Foxy
05-11-2011, 05:11 PM

I recently read an article (I think it was in Cosmo, but don't quote me) where pics of women were shown to men and the men were to choose the most attractive look for a woman.

There were 3 pics of each woman-1 with NO makeup, 1 with minimal, natural looking makeup, and 1 with warpaint.

Overwhelmingly, men chose the pics with the minimal, natural looking makeup. Almost NOBODY actually chose the looks with NO makeup. :laugh:

I agree Dawn!! Some girls look great with no makeup others look really great with minimal makeup! I am a dramatic person :ashamed: so I like the whole look! done properly! lol.

County Mike
05-11-2011, 06:31 PM

True. Well done, minimal is probably best. However, so many women overdo it, it's easy to say we'd prefer none at all.