PDA

View Full Version : Three minute rounds? Ten round title fights? Roy Nelson states his case

VCURamFan
05-09-2011, 08:21 PM
From MMAMania.com:http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1219855/roy-nelson-588_large.jpg

UFC heavyweight contender and well-traveled mixed martial arts (MMA) veteran Roy Nelson (http://www.sbnation.com/mma/fighter/123062/roy-nelson) wants to instill a sense of urgency in fighters while also making life easier for cageside judges charged with calling the bouts.
That Roy, what a guy.

Part of his grand plan is reducing the length of rounds from five minutes to three, which in turn would create five round fights for non-championship bouts and ten round affairs for title fights.

"Big Country" breaks it all down for ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/1745/roy-nelson-advocates-for-three-minute-rounds):

"You'd probably see a lot more action because you're constantly trying to win the round. Guys wouldn't be feeling out for two minutes. It's boom, you've got to go right away. They want to add more championship rounds -- that's where I say switch everything to three minutes and go 10 rounds. Then you have a lot of ups and downs ... I'd say judges lose sight. One guy will dominate for four minutes, the other dominates for a minute and they give the round to the second guy ... I've watched fights where I actually take a stopwatch and say, ‘No, he won four minutes of that round but the judges gave it to the other guy.' They just remember that last minute. Three minutes is short enough that the whole round stays in your head."

Nelson's proposed change comes on the heels of UFC President Dana White's idea to convert all televised main events to five rounds (http://www.mmamania.com/2011/4/29/2142937/brock-lesnar-vs-junior-dos-santos-a-five-round-non-title-fight-almost), regardless of whether or not a title is at stake.

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 10 champion has a different vision of improving the sport and has found an unlikely ally in Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) Executive Director Keith Kizer (via ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/1745/roy-nelson-advocates-for-three-minute-rounds)), who finds merit in Nelson's argument:

"[It's] common sense. Three-minute rounds is less stuff to judge. It’s easier to run a mile than a marathon. Five minutes is a long time and it does make judging more difficult."

Dethbob
05-09-2011, 08:46 PM
That would pretty much eliminate the ground game. Might as well delete the grappling altogether and just call it ‘MMBoxing’.

flo
05-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Nelson's proposed change comes on the heels of UFC President Dana White's idea to convert all televised main events to five rounds, regardless of whether or not a title is at stake.

Great. Then we'd get even fewer match-ups on PPV for our $50. :angry:

That would pretty much eliminate the ground game. Might as well delete the grappling altogether and just call it ‘MMBoxing’.

Good point. Unlike some of the booing fans at the events, I like the grappling/wrestling.

Miss Foxy
05-09-2011, 09:09 PM
I have an attention span of a 2yr old there's no way my mind is prepared for 10 rounds... :scared0015:

Chris F
05-10-2011, 09:53 PM
It does not end the ground game at all. If anything it make good wrestling better and allows better ground fighter to progress faster. I like the idea.

J.B.
05-10-2011, 10:19 PM
I've been preaching this for quite a while. I love the idea.

Great. Then we'd get even fewer match-ups on PPV for our $50. :angry:

Not really. All it would add to each non-title fight would be 2 extra one minute breaks between rounds. The producers could easily find some fluff/pomp & circumstance to cut back on and make up for the lost minutes. Sure, it adds an extra 5 minutes of downtime to title fights that go the distance, but so what? I think that it puts more demand on the company to make title fights that are truly worthy of seeing.

Shorter rounds would make the fighters press the action early on in the fight so they can establish a lead on the scorecards. Thus, with MMA being as unpredictable as it is, that could potentially lead to even more crazy knockouts or submissions out of nowhere. However, just like in boxing, we would also see fighters coast through the later rounds after they know they have done enough to win the fight. Still, the other side to that is that typically the fighters who are losing the fight on the scorecards will be more likely to know it going into the later rounds and they will be forced to press the action themselves if they hope to win the fight.

No one way is going to be perfect, but I would definitely be in favor of seeing how this method worked for MMA.

J.B.
05-10-2011, 10:33 PM
I have an attention span of a 2yr old there's no way my mind is prepared for 10 rounds... :scared0015:

:laugh:

F34R
05-11-2011, 12:39 AM
It does not end the ground game at all. If anything it make good wrestling better and allows better ground fighter to progress faster. I like the idea.

Agreed. There would be more a sense of urgency of the person in a disadvantageous position to improve faster instead of waiting for a judge to stand them up after being laid on for two mins.

Llamafighter
05-11-2011, 12:44 AM
How about the fighter's just train so they can fight a 3 minute pace for 5 minutes...

flo
05-11-2011, 01:04 AM
Not really. All it would add to each non-title fight would be 2 extra one minute breaks between rounds. The producers could easily find some fluff/pomp & circumstance to cut back on and make up for the lost minutes. Sure, it adds an extra 5 minutes of downtime to title fights that go the distance, but so what? I think that it puts more demand on the company to make title fights that are truly worthy of seeing.

:ashamed::ashamed::ashamed:I was never good at math.

Dang it, JB.:ashamed::ashamed::ashamed:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
05-11-2011, 04:09 AM
I think we get to see more tech. in a 5 minute round! I like Roy Nelson but don't agree with him on this!

Llamafighter
05-11-2011, 12:17 PM
I think we get to see more tech. in a 5 minute round! I like Roy Nelson but don't agree with him on this!

Me neither. Plus you have guys like Brian Foster that come in shape and fight 10 rounds worth in three rounds.
I would hate to see the ground game be affected. If anything bring in the Yellow Cards

Spiritwalker
05-11-2011, 12:28 PM

DING!

Spiritwalker
05-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Roy has some ideas.. but I would rather keep it at 5minutes.. sometimes it can take you 30-50 seconds to set up an arm bar or such.. and having a 3 minute round wouldn't be good for ground fighters...

I just say bring in the Yellow Card... Andy has a yellow car.. so the cards would go well with him..

I don't know that I am a fan of 5 rounds on just main events.. If your going to make it 5 rounds.. for just main event-non-title fights.. then why not all fights 5x5?

In the event of a draw on Title Fights.. you get a 6th round. But how many draws have we seen in title fights.. in any organization? Fewer than 10 in the history of MMA???

rockdawg21
05-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Roy's just saying this because he gets tired in 5 minute rounds.

County Mike
05-11-2011, 02:42 PM

He actually seems to have way more cardio than I would expect from a man of his physique.

Miss Foxy
05-11-2011, 03:46 PM

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

Chris F
05-11-2011, 04:39 PM
He actually seems to have way more cardio than I would expect from a man of his physique.

Exactly!! His body type is because of poor diet choices and a hatred no doubt for a thing called sit ups. I have always been a large person when I wrestled and played Basketball I was what most call fat. However while they were sucking wind with their six pack abs I was still on the court, field, in the ring etc etc. Most NFL people are also built like Roy but because Roy does not cut like the rest of the biz people foolishly say he has no carido. He never gassed on TUF 10 and when he was slugging it out with JDS he looked no different than anyone else in a 3 rd battle. Thanks Mike for pointing it out as well. Since you are a fighter maybe people will listen

Miss Foxy
05-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Exactly!! His body type is because of poor diet choices and a hatred no doubt for a thing called sit ups. I have always been a large person when I wrestled and played Basketball I was what most call fat. However while they were sucking wind with their six pack abs I was still on the court, field, in the ring etc etc. Most NFL people are also built like Roy but because Roy does not cut like the rest of the biz people foolishly say he has no carido. He never gassed on TUF 10 and when he was slugging it out with JDS he looked no different than anyone else in a 3 rd battle. Thanks Mike for pointing it out as well. Since you are a fighter maybe people will listen

In all seriousness we are kidding! Just like Bj who has awful cardio it's not based on size that's tricky..

Chris F
05-11-2011, 04:48 PM
In all seriousness we are kidding! Just like Bj who has awful cardio it's not based on size that's tricky..

I should have used this after my post :) but forgot. I know it is a running gag no pun intended.

County Mike
05-11-2011, 05:34 PM
It's actually pretty well known amongst athletes, that the more muscular you are, the more oxygen your body requires to operate at a high level. It's tough to be very muscular and have great cardio. Somewhere in the middle of muscularity is usually ideal. Of course, with the extra muscle comes extra strength so you can achieve more with less effort. It's a very tricky balancing act to decide how much muscle to carry for a specific weight class. Roy obviously trains hard and his heart/lungs are developed to handle it even if he could probably do more with less (fat).

Chris F
05-11-2011, 07:29 PM
It's actually pretty well known amongst athletes, that the more muscular you are, the more oxygen your body requires to operate at a high level. It's tough to be very muscular and have great cardio. Somewhere in the middle of muscularity is usually ideal. Of course, with the extra muscle comes extra strength so you can achieve more with less effort. It's a very tricky balancing act to decide how much muscle to carry for a specific weight class. Roy obviously trains hard and his heart/lungs are developed to handle it even if he could probably do more with less (fat).

No doubt. I was able to do a lot more when my weight was 185 vs 240 when I was a pro wrestler. He has no issue going 5 minutes. I think he just thinks the fans want more action and less feeling out.

atomdanger
05-11-2011, 09:58 PM

Exactly.

Liddellfan
05-12-2011, 05:36 AM
With what Roy described, the "unified rules" would go out the window. IMO It would also take away from the ground game a lot. I enjoy a good grappling match. Three min. is not enough time when you have two high level grapplers in there going at it on the ground for a submission.

rockdawg21
05-12-2011, 01:39 PM
I agree, his cardio is pretty awesome for carrying all that dead weight, but in the 2 3-round fights I've seen him in - Arlovski and JDS, he gassed in the 3rd rounds.