PDA

View Full Version : Evans expects Machida at UFC 98

Hughes_GOAT
03-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Despite every assurance made during Saturday night’s UFC 96 pay-per-view broadcast, UFC light heavyweight champ Rashad Evans doesn’t believe Quinton “Rampage” Jackson will be standing across the Octagon to face him at UFC 98 on May 23.

“As I learned, ‘Rampage’ might need time off,” Evans told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Monday. “It’ll probably be Lyoto Machida, but I haven’t gotten a confirmation on that.”

Jackson, who earned a hard-fought decision over Evans’ teammate Keith Jardine in the main event on Saturday, told reporters afterward that he needed time to evaluate the May title bout offered to him that night before he’d give his answer.

The 30-year old Memphis, Tenn., native lost the belt to Forrest Griffin at UFC 86 last July. Evans then took it from Griffin at UFC 92 in December.

Tensions rose on Saturday night when Evans (13-0-1) entered the cage to trade barbs with Jackson seconds after his victory. Evans said he knew then that Jackson (30-7) might not be up to snuff for a May encounter.

“I don’t know. I’ve just got that feeling,” said Evans. “Just listening to him when we were in the ring talking he was kind of like, ‘Yeah man you’re lucky I wasn’t 100 percent’ and he started making excuses and I was thinking like it sounds like an excuse-fest is about to happen, so I know he ain’t going to take no fight with me. He’s making excuses now.”

Evans was actually surprised the standoff became as heated as fast as it did.

“I didn’t expect any of that, man,” said Evans. “I was just going to do the face-off and what not but then he started talking trash. I wasn’t even in the mood to play or joke around, I just saw one of my best friends lose a fight which I had him winning until the last 10 seconds. I see the hurt in [Jardine’s] eyes and he’s so upset and he’s disappointed and I feel, like, bad for him. Then this dude is bumpin’ his gums at me, and honestly, I really wanted to punch him in his face, but I knew that wasn’t the right time to do that so I just tried to stay as composed as possible because I don’t like to talk trash. Whenever I got into a street fight I never talked -- I just hit. I never liked to be in someone’s face that close just talking.”

There is a certain double standard in the war of words leading up to the Evans-Jackson showdown that hasn’t escaped the 29-year-old champion. Evans consistently catches heat for his antics in and out of the cage, while Jackson seems to be applauded for it.

“You know what, I can’t understand it either,” said Evans. “I can’t understand it either man. I try not to. There was a time where it really bothered me and ate at me and I was like, ‘I don’t understand.’ I’m in the arena and everyone is booing me. And that’s so funny because everyone is in here booing at me, but I just spent about two hours signing autographs. So who the hell is booing at me, you know what I’m saying? Who’s booing at me? It’s just so contradictory to everyone that comes to speak to me. I always treat everyone with respect. Yet everyone still boos. They don’t like me. But that’s OK. Everybody has a cross to bear in life and maybe that’s my cross to bear. I don’t have to be popular in life, as long as I know who I am then that’s OK.”

Evans will probably have other things to ponder in short turn, most likely the conundrum that is Machida (14-0), a fighter whose style perplexes opponents more often than not.

“The kid’s been phenomenal,” said Evans. “He’s been better than phenomenal. He’s been looking better every fight. But that’s the fight business. That’s the fun part about a fight is the fact that you go in there with an opponent that sometimes seems insurmountable. But then you figure it out and that makes the victory that much sweeter. With that said, there may be some kinks in his armor that I have yet to see that I can exploit when I look at the tapes more closely. Nobody’s unbeatable. Machida’s been looking slicker than I don’t know what, but everybody has a weakness even if you do look slick as oil. Everyone has a weakness.”

Evans said he’s a lock to expose weaknesses on May 23, though if it will be Jackson or Machida’s shortcomings remains to be seen.

rockdawg21
03-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the info. Can't say I blame Rampage if he doesn't feel ready for the shot. Rest is good, and he'll be more prepared for whichever fighter he faces.

Champ2be
03-11-2009, 12:30 AM
I was expecting this as I said in the other thread. Rashas said he didnt expect it to get so heated, but he was the one who escalated the whole thing. I mean WTF do you expect when you get in someones face? :blink: I think Page should take his time off and come back and destroy Evans. Im still bitter about him knocking out Liddell though. Liddell shouldnt have lost :cry:

lc87
03-11-2009, 01:31 AM
I was expecting this as I said in the other thread. Rashas said he didnt expect it to get so heated, but he was the one who escalated the whole thing. I mean WTF do you expect when you get in someones face? :blink: I think Page should take his time off and come back and destroy Evans. Im still bitter about him knocking out Liddell though. Liddell shouldnt have lost :cry:

How can you not root for one because he destroyed chuck when they both destroyed chuck. And page did it more than once. No sense.

rearnakedchoke
03-11-2009, 01:38 AM
Haha ... rashad is the one that needed a rest after he beat forrest, so rampage took the fight ... now the fight gets moved from whatever, june to may and rashad says rampage he knew page was gonna bail ...

rockdawg21
03-11-2009, 01:41 AM
How can you not root for one because he destroyed chuck when they both destroyed chuck. And page did it more than once. No sense.
:sign0081:

rearnakedchoke
03-11-2009, 01:43 AM

page has his number ... that is all ... doesn't take away from lidell's career, but he never beats page ...

lc87
03-11-2009, 01:44 AM
I think overall chuck got owned worse than champ did

lc87
03-11-2009, 01:47 AM
page has his number ... that is all ... doesn't take away from lidell's career, but he never beats page ...

Page is chucks unicorn. Much like elenor from gone in 60 seconds

Jonlion
03-11-2009, 01:50 AM
With that said, there may be some kinks in his armor that I have yet to see that I can exploit when I look at the tapes more closely. Nobody’s unbeatable. Machida’s been looking slicker than I don’t know what, but everybody has a weakness even if you do look slick as oil. Everyone has a weakness.”

I can help you there Rashad, he has been looking slicker than GSP in a vat of Vaseline the night before a title fight!

:blink:

lc87
03-11-2009, 01:58 AM
I can help you there Rashad, he has been looking slicker than GSP in a vat of Vaseline the night before a title fight!

That was a good one

Jonlion
03-11-2009, 02:02 AM
That was a good one

:laugh: :laugh:

I was hoping that got noticed as i am quite sure thats the funniest thing i have said on this board for all the years i have been on here!

:wink:

lc87
03-11-2009, 02:10 AM
:laugh: :laugh:

I was hoping that got noticed as i am quite sure thats the funniest thing i have said on this board for all the years i have been on here!

I was thinking gsp when I read the quote but the vats were funny

County Mike
03-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Evans/Machida should be an awesome fight. Two counter punchers backing away from each other. Awesome!

Champ2be
03-11-2009, 04:55 PM

B/c I actually like Page. Rashad is a big Shi* talker so thats why I dont like him. I just wish someone would beat him so he can get put in his place. Rashad is good, I will give him that, but I hate hearing him run his mouth. My comment was not meant to be taking seriously I figured the sarcasim would be sensed. Guess not.

Champ2be
03-11-2009, 04:58 PM
I think overall chuck got owned worse than champ did

Right.... :rolleyes: You owned me :cry: How about letting me explain my self before you start acting like an E-thug :sign0003:

Hughes_GOAT
03-11-2009, 05:01 PM
who knows, maybe if Liddell and Rampage fight again, it will be like Rampage/Silva 3? where Liddell will finally get a win over the guy who destroyed him twice.

Champ2be
03-11-2009, 05:02 PM
:sign0081:
:loser:

Champ2be
03-11-2009, 05:02 PM
who knows, maybe if Liddell and Rampage fight again, it will be like Rampage/Silva 3? where Liddell will finally get a win over the guy who destroyed him twice.

That would be nice.

Llamafighter
03-11-2009, 05:10 PM

That's what I'm hoping for!!

Jonlion
03-11-2009, 05:42 PM

damm that was funny! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

rearnakedchoke
03-11-2009, 05:42 PM

chuck is done ... he is going to retire after the shogun fight ..

Champ2be
03-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Nah. Shogun looks like crap now. It took him 3 rounds to beat an over the hill Coleman, and he looked like crap in the Forrest fight too.

que
03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
chuck will beat shogun but if shogun does win... chuck needs to retire for sure ASAP

Llamafighter
03-11-2009, 07:14 PM

No way! Worst prediction ever!:laugh:

Crisco
03-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Smartest decision of chucks like was going to train at ATT for a bit. He was getting stale under hack.

I think if Chuck's body lets him he has quite a few fights left in him.

lc87
03-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Right.... :rolleyes: You owned me :cry: How about letting me explain my self before you start acting like an E-thug :sign0003:

How does stating a fact make me an e thug. If your gonna go bj crybaby on us over that stick to sherdog because sarcasm can go both ways.

So you can dish the sarcasm but not receive it?

And im the keyboard warrior?

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 07:36 PM
I don't see Rashad beating Machida.

Crisco
03-11-2009, 07:37 PM
I love the term keyboard-warrior.

I actually beat up a guy in RL that I got into a fight with online(b4 I was saved) after he called me out and told him to meet him for the scrap.

We shook hands afterward and were cool and respected eachother for not bringing other people or guns or anything like that.

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 07:37 PM
chuck will beat shogun but if shogun does win... chuck needs to retire for sure ASAP

Sig bet my good man?

Shogun destroys chuck

Crisco
03-11-2009, 07:38 PM
I don't see Rashad beating Machida.

I see Rashad trying to take Machida down. I don't think Machida has been tested on the ground yet.

Not saying Rashad will be able to we have not been able to see his ground game really.

Striking with Machida is a bad idea for anyone.

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 07:38 PM
I love the term keyboard-warrior.

I actually beat up a guy in RL that I got into a fight with online(b4 I was saved) after he called me out and told him to meet him for the scrap.

We shook hands afterward and were cool and respected eachother for not bringing other people or guns or anything like that.

The term keyboard warrior or anything like that makes me laugh.

I am just myself on here, how I type on here and talk is how I am every day,
so if I say something like oh whatever I would kick your ass or something,
thats probably what I would say to your face in real life.

You shouldn't have to change who you are so just internet folk won't think you're an E badass.

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 07:40 PM
I see Rashad trying to take Machida down. I don't think Machida has been tested on the ground yet.

Not saying Rashad will be able to we have not been able to see his ground game really.

Good point, I don't know how strong Rashad's ground game is,
but I would assume that is his plan, striking with Machida certainly hasn't worked out for anybody thus far.

Machida looks great, but hell if Tito can get him in a triangle then maybe Rashad can take him down and impose his will

Crisco
03-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Good point, I don't know how strong Rashad's ground game is,
but I would assume that is his plan, striking with Machida certainly hasn't worked out for anybody thus far.

Machida looks great, but hell if Tito can get him in a triangle then maybe Rashad can take him down and impose his will

I also believe Tito was a lot better then we all give him credit for. He did beat Rashad IMO had he not scrwed himself grabbing the fence.

He did very well against MAchida and really pushed the pace. I was actually kind of sad to see him after that because I thought he did awesome. I really wanted him to beat Machida and I neevr really thought I would ever root for Tito Ortiz.

Love him or hate him Tito deserves to be in the hall of fame one day.

Josh
03-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Sig bet my good man?

Shogun destroys chuck
I don't know man Shogun looks like garbge now. I hope he comes in top form for Chuck.

Crisco
03-11-2009, 07:46 PM
I'll sig it with you atom

Spiritwalker
03-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Sig bet my good man?

Shogun destroys chuck

I would be willing to take some of that action!

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Ill sig bet both of you, you can each pick a line of my sig.

I take shogun

Champ2be
How does stating a fact make me an e thug. If your gonna go bj crybaby on us over that stick to sherdog because sarcasm can go both ways.

So you can dish the sarcasm but not receive it?

And im the keyboard warrior?

How did you state a fact? You misinterpreted my post and acted like an ass. You werent being sarcastic, you thought you were being billy bad ass and saying I was owned and acting childish. Sherdog huh? Kinda hard to stick to them when I have never even been to there web site. Now that is a fact. Grow up buddy. Bj cry baby???? Wow did you come up with that all by your self? Are you serious w/ this crap?

atomdanger
I also believe Tito was a lot better then we all give him credit for. He did beat Rashad IMO had he not scrwed himself grabbing the fence.

He did very well against MAchida and really pushed the pace. I was actually kind of sad to see him after that because I thought he did awesome. I really wanted him to beat Machida and I neevr really thought I would ever root for Tito Ortiz.

Love him or hate him Tito deserves to be in the hall of fame one day.

haha yeah, I was sort of blinded by all the tito stuff outside the cage,
he is a talented guy.

Crisco
03-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Ill sig bet both of you, you can each pick a line of my sig.

I take shogun

You have yourself a bet sir.

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 07:49 PM
You have yourself a bet sir.

Woot woot

Shogun better show up lol

County Mike
03-11-2009, 07:57 PM
I think Crisco has this one. Shogun has looked like crap his last couple of fights. He gassed out in round one against an aged Coleman.

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I think Crisco has this one. Shogun has looked like crap his last couple of fights. He gassed out in round one against an aged Coleman.

Yeah, he hasn't looked great, but its more understandable if you know whats been going on with him.
He had a lot going on outside the cage, and he should have never fought Forrest without getting knee surgery first.

Crisco
03-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Yeah, he hasn't looked great, but its more understandable if you know whats been going on with him.
He had a lot going on outside the cage, and he should have never fought Forrest without getting knee surgery first.

That's agreed but a lot of Shoguns game was taken away from him with the rules in the UFC.

Shogun fought a lot of dudes and just soccor kicked them to death.

I think Shogun is going to be a A- fighter for quite awhile still. He needs to get readjusted to being a fighter.

Also not to continue a rumour but I truly believe that Shogun was a juicer in pride. I believe most if not all of the Brazilians in pride where on roids.

Not for any great performance boost but to help him deal with the issues in his knee's. He will need time to fix his training and to just get back in the groove.

Shogun needs some tune up fights against B guys to get him going again.

atomdanger
03-11-2009, 08:51 PM
That's agreed but a lot of Shoguns game was taken away from him with the rules in the UFC.

Shogun fought a lot of dudes and just soccor kicked them to death.

I think Shogun is going to be a A- fighter for quite awhile still. He needs to get readjusted to being a fighter.

Also not to continue a rumour but I truly believe that Shogun was a juicer in pride. I believe most if not all of the Brazilians in pride where on roids.

Not for any great performance boost but to help him deal with the issues in his knee's. He will need time to fix his training and to just get back in the groove.

Shogun needs some tune up fights against B guys to get him going again.

I disagree, all the times I can remember shogun throwing soccer kicks and stomps he was already winning by far.
I don't recall a shogun fight where the tables changed because of a soccer kick or head stomp.

I don't know how anybody can think he juiced,
he beat Randleman in the states, and knee barred him,
He also Koed overeem in the states.

*shrug*

Hughes_GOAT
03-11-2009, 10:11 PM

Tito couldn't get him down, so it will be interesting since Rashad is a better wrestler than Tito. and, Machida has a black belt in BJJ.