PDA

View Full Version : Dana is p****d at Yves Lavigne

rockdawg21
03-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Dana actually injured his arm banging on the Octogan to get Yves to stop the fight.

http://mmamania.com/2009/03/08/ufc-quick-quote-dana-white-injures-himself-at-ufc-96-because-of-referee-yves-lavigne/

UFC Quick Quote: Dana White injures himself at UFC 96 because of referee Yves LaVigne
By: MMAmania

http://mmamania.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/danawhite-playboy1.jpg

Im worried about Pete Sell. I sent him to the hospital to get an MRI. As youve heard me so many times especially in the last few weeks and wait until The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) comes out to talk to me about judging and officiating in this sport right now. It drives me crazy because its such a personal thing. These guys train so hard and those two kids [Aaron Riley and Shane Nelson] have been in camp for six to eight weeks, training, and then they fly out here to fight and it gets stopped like that. People make mistakes all the time, but that was a bad one. I was unhappy with the Pete Sell fight tonight, too. Yves LaVigne is actually usually a very good referee. Im serious Im not even kidding I hurt my arm tonight banging on the Octagon for him to stop that fight. Ive never done that in eight years. I dont even know what to say. It drives me crazy.
A fired up Dana White talks about referees and judges in the wake of UFC 96: Jackson vs. Jardine. The company president was very upset that Yves LaVigne did not stop Matt Brown from assaulting Pete Sell sooner and Rick Fike from not letting Aaron Riley defend himself longer against Shane Nelson. He also foreshadows that we can expect more of the same on the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), which is set to debut on April 1. Joy.

Hughes_GOAT
03-11-2009, 12:11 AM
what a tool. he didn't like Mazz either. i like Lavigne. he allows fights to go long enough to where there is no doubt if someone was finished.

TheConcretekid
03-11-2009, 12:35 AM
I watched his latest vlog expecting to see him go king kong crazy, but he just banged on the announcement table in front of him, regardless, he mentioned a few times how unhappy he was with the late stoppage of the Brown/Sell fight as well as the early stoppage of the Riley/Nelson fight

rearnakedchoke
03-11-2009, 01:09 AM
meh ... he made a mistake ... it is not a common thing, although i don't think he should have stopped the gsp/serra 2 fight ... .

rockdawg21
03-11-2009, 01:19 AM
meh ... he made a mistake ... it is not a common thing, although i don't think he should have stopped the gsp/serra 2 fight ... .
Me too. I wanted to see Serra get some broken ribs. Those knees from GSP were brutal.

Champ2be
03-11-2009, 01:25 AM
I agree with Dana that fight went on waaaaayyyyy to long. I dont think it should have been stopped when he originally stepped in, but soon after it should have been stopped. He is a good Ref, but that was just stupid.

Jason 16
03-11-2009, 02:53 AM
I agree with Dana that fight went on waaaaayyyyy to long. I dont think it should have been stopped when he originally stepped in, but soon after it should have been stopped. He is a good Ref, but that was just stupid.
agree he should have waited till brown engaged him see how he responds than stop the fight. this would be like 15 seconds or so after he stoped it the first time

rearnakedchoke
03-11-2009, 02:56 AM
and about this dana calling for the fight to be stopped, well that is just BS and he should be investigated by the NSAC or actually OSAC ... he is the damn pres of ufc, that is it, he can't say a thing about whether the refs stop the fights in time or not .... it is like that idiot from exc calling for the hits to the back of kimbo's head ... totally inappropriate

Jason 16
03-11-2009, 02:57 AM
here is a good comment from a guy on that site

Comment by Psyqo78
2009-03-08 17:09:55
My problem was that he jumped in and stopped it then let it continue. If Matt Brown would have been able to follow up in the first place the fight would of had a justified stoppage in a matter of moments. Jumping the gun and not pulling the trigger left more of an opportunity for Drago to get hurt even more.

Jason 16
03-11-2009, 02:59 AM
and about this dana calling for the fight to be stopped, well that is just BS and he should be investigated by the NSAC or actually OSAC ... he is the damn pres of ufc, that is it, he can't say a thing about whether the refs stop the fights in time or not .... it is like that idiot from exc calling for the hits to the back of kimbo's head ... totally inappropriate

well I got a feeling that there were about hmm every one watching that fight that were thinking and saying the same thing

rearnakedchoke
03-11-2009, 02:59 AM

Comment by Psyqo78
My problem was that he jumped in and stopped it then let it continue. If Matt Brown would have been able to follow up in the first place the fight would of had a justified stoppage in a matter of moments. Jumping the gun and not pulling the trigger left more of an opportunity for Drago to get hurt even more.
you are supposed to put that in your own words and take credit for it ...

good point Jason16, very well thought out

medic92
03-11-2009, 03:41 AM
I don't really mind the referee mistakes. They have to make split-second decisions in the heat of the moment and mistakes happen. My biggest beef is with the judges that score the bouts. Cecil Peoples should never be allowed in an arena during a UFC bout, much less be able to score it.

rockdawg21
03-11-2009, 03:47 AM

Comment by Psyqo78
Yeah, that's exactly what I was telling my wife. 1 or 2 more punches while Sell was on the ground, it was over anyways.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
03-11-2009, 08:07 AM
From what I've read about the Brown/Sell fight Dana has a point! Reading through the comments on that site makes me think some of the Dana haters are crazy. Look I ain't trying to say Dana's a great guy or a bad guy, I don't know. But I don't think he has as much power as some of his haters claim!

Neezar
03-11-2009, 12:20 PM

They are his employees, the fighters. I would think he has a right to say something if he thinks one is being unneccessarily injured. Especially if he is footing the medical bill. :huh:

lc87
03-11-2009, 05:19 PM
They are his employees, the fighters. I would think he has a right to say something if he thinks one is being unneccessarily injured. Especially if he is footing the medical bill. :huh:

That's pretty much what I was thinking. They work for him if he has to pay them you would think he should have some say if its a dangerous situation.

Crisco
03-11-2009, 05:27 PM
war Dana.

and I believe Serra tapped in GSPvSERRA 2. He knee's were killing him.

Hughes_GOAT
03-11-2009, 05:34 PM
From what I've read about the Brown/Sell fight Dana has a point! Reading through the comments on that site makes me think some of the Dana haters are crazy. Look I ain't trying to say Dana's a great guy or a bad guy, I don't know. But I don't think he has as much power as some of his haters claim!

he doesn't. the athletic commission has the say over who refs and what refs get penalized for poor performances, not Dana.

Tyburn
03-12-2009, 02:03 AM
Well if in doubt, shove Cecil Peoples in their...cant go wrong with him :blink:

:laugh:

Llamafighter
03-12-2009, 02:31 AM
Well if in doubt, shove Cecil Peoples in their...cant go wrong with him :blink:

:laugh:

:unsure-1: ...in their what?!

Tyburn
03-12-2009, 03:09 AM
:unsure-1: ...in their what?!
in there...as in...put him in the cage.

sorry I used the wrong form of the word dint I :ashamed:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
03-12-2009, 07:39 AM
he doesn't. the athletic commission has the say over who refs and what refs get penalized for poor performances, not Dana.

That's kind of what I was thinking! Also I think its nice that a Boss actually is taking up for his employee!

Llamafighter
03-12-2009, 03:42 PM
in there...as in...put him in the cage.

sorry I used the wrong form of the word dint I :ashamed:

:laugh: I do that all the time that's the only reason I pointed it out. I'm practicing:)

Tyburn
03-12-2009, 04:01 PM
:laugh: I do that all the time that's the only reason I pointed it out. I'm practicing:)
I type so fast I make mistakes...but I just cant slow down or I looooooose my riddum :laugh: :laugh: