PDA

View Full Version : What book are you currently reading ?

Pages : [1] 2

cheachea
05-02-2011, 06:26 PM
I saw this on Sherdog and thought I'd try it here.

This is the book I'm reading at the moment.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5196dflQ2HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

flo
05-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Just finished The Devil in the White City (http://www.amazon.com/Devil-White-City-Madness-Changed/dp/0375725601) and I'd highly recommend it. This book is about the Chicago World's Fair of 1893 and the architects that made it happen, combined with the story of a serial killer who preyed on the women who came to the fair. brrr Fascinating and scary!

Now I'm looking for a good fluff read for a change of pace...

cheachea
05-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Just finished The Devil in the White City (http://www.amazon.com/Devil-White-City-Madness-Changed/dp/0375725601) and I'd highly recommend it. This book is about the Chicago World's Fair of 1893 and the architects that made it happen, combined with the story of a serial killer who preyed on the women who came to the fair. brrr Fascinating and scary!

I saw a documentary about that serial killer named H.H.Holmes. Man, that dude was just plain evil and creepy. He supposedly murdered more than a 100 people.

rearnakedchoke
05-02-2011, 07:08 PM
i am reading a book about how 9/11 was an inside job and a conspiracy for the US to start a war .. i am just kidding and messin with ya chea

cheachea
05-02-2011, 07:11 PM
i am reading a book about how 9/11 was an inside job and a conspiracy for the US to start a war .. i am just kidding and messin with ya chea LOL :laugh:

TexasRN
05-02-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm reading Deception by Jonathan Kellerman. He writes a series about a psychologist named Alex Delaware who works with the PD to catch killers. I've read almost all of his books.

I was given a copy of Augustine: The City of God by a friend so that will be my next book to read. I like to alternate serious reading with pure mind candy. :laugh:

~Amy

Dethbob
05-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Romans

Children: the Challenge -Rudolf Dreikurs

flo
05-02-2011, 08:04 PM
I like to alternate serious reading with pure mind candy. :laugh:

~Amy

Yup, same here.

Chuck
05-02-2011, 08:37 PM
About to get the audiobook version of Radical by Platt.

Play The Man
05-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Spoilt Rotten: The Toxic Cult of Sentimentality by Theodore Dalrymple and Brain Sex: The Real Difference Between Men & Women by Anne Moir, Ph.D. and David Jessel

Play The Man
05-03-2011, 01:11 AM

I read that book a few years ago. I recommended it to my brother. He liked it. As a gift, I bought him an antique framed photograph of "The White City" from 1893. I heard that a movie version is in production.

flo
05-03-2011, 01:19 AM
I read that book a few years ago. I recommended it to my brother. He liked it. As a gift, I bought him an antique framed photograph of "The White City" from 1893. I heard that a movie version is in production.

It would make a great movie, IMO. You remember the book didn't have many pictures but what they did have was amazing. I bet your brother loved that gift.

I wish I could have seen it in person, especially the Court of Honor.

Spiritwalker
05-03-2011, 03:30 AM
Essential Anatomy: For Healing and Martial Arts

I am studying for my Nidan test... (some time this year.. after August)

I have to be able to speak to TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) and western points on the body...

logrus
05-03-2011, 04:53 AM
Essential Anatomy: For Healing and Martial Arts

I am studying for my Nidan test... (some time this year.. after August)

I have to be able to speak to TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) and western points on the body...

That was the book I was looking for a few months ago but I could not remember the title of it, thanks..

Right now I am reading a book about computer hacking and the methods they use to compromise a system.

J.B.
05-03-2011, 05:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-yN8TC6e8k

matthughesfan21
05-03-2011, 05:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-yN8TC6e8k:laugh: great show, the good days are coming to an end though unfortunately:cry:

Well until summer comes, I'm reading textbooks:sick::dopey:

J.B.
05-03-2011, 05:24 AM
:laugh: great show, the good days are coming to an end though unfortunately:cry:

Well until summer comes, I'm reading textbooks:sick::dopey:

I have to admit, it was tough to watch Michael Scott go...:cry:

matthughesfan21
05-03-2011, 05:31 AM
I have to admit, it was tough to watch Michael Scott go...:cry:it was sad, it was a great episode though, but it was an end of an era:sad: Jim and Dwight are my favorites, but the show won't be the same without Michael

Neezar
05-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Under a Texas Sky

Western/Romance :ashamed: I know, useless.

TexasRN
05-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Under a Texas Sky

I have probably read that one. There was a series of romance books with Texas in the title. I think I've read about half of them. :laugh:

~Amy

Tyburn
05-05-2011, 09:02 PM
I am currently reading the "what book are you currently reading" thread on Matt Hughes Forum :laugh:

rockdawg21
05-05-2011, 09:31 PM
I am currently reading the "what book are you currently reading" thread on Matt Hughes Forum :laugh:
LOL, and I'm currently reading what I'm currently typing. How amazing is that? :laugh:

Neezar
05-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Under a Texas Sky

:angry: It wasn't a romance! It was a tragedy. It was set right after the civil war and everyone was starving, fighting indians, or being forced into shyte they didn't want to do (example, selling their land). :angry:

Where is the love, people?!:yell:

TexasRN
05-05-2011, 10:18 PM
:angry: It wasn't a romance! It was a tragedy. It was set right after the civil war and everyone was starving, fighting indians, or being forced into shyte they didn't want to do (example, selling their land). :angry:

Where is the love, people?!:yell:

Oh then I didn't read it. I like romance, not real life type sad stuff. :laugh:

~Amy

DonnaMaria
05-05-2011, 10:46 PM
I read "Is Your Mama A Llama?"

seriously.........just today........:)

at 9:30 and again at 1:00

Great book!

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Mama-Llama-Deborah-Guarino/dp/0590259385#reader_0590259385

DonnaMaria
05-05-2011, 10:48 PM
And if you like Llamas there is a whole llama series:w00t:

Llama Llama Red Pajama

Llama Llama Mad At Mama

Llama Llama Misses Mama

AND

Llama Llama Christmas Drama

TexasRN
05-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Now I'm reading a book called The Hunger Games. It's been really hard to put down.

~Amy

Neezar
05-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I read "Is Your Mama A Llama?"

seriously.........just today........:)

at 9:30 and again at 1:00

Great book!

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Mama-Llama-Deborah-Guarino/dp/0590259385#reader_0590259385

:laugh:

We have that book! It will be kept for years to come. My oldest son taught my youngest how to read that book. I have pictures and a little of it on video! :wub:

DonnaMaria
05-06-2011, 03:15 PM

We have that book! It will be kept for years to come. My oldest son taught my youngest how to read that book. I have pictures and a little of it on video! :wub:

ohmygoodness!!!! Did you tear up when he did that?! I cried when my kids first started reading!:laugh:

What a precious memory you have! :wub:

Play The Man
05-07-2011, 02:08 AM
Rules For Radicals by Saul Alinsky arrived in the mail today

Play The Man
05-25-2011, 03:25 AM
Mr. Clarke's Modest Proposal: Supportive Evidence From Yeovil by Theodore Dalrymple

flo
05-25-2011, 05:00 AM
The Fatal Shore, about the penal colonization of Australia.

It's an interesting topic but the writing is too dry. But since I've already read 350 pages, I'm finishing it. :irked:

I'll try The Hunger Games, it sounds good. I hope you report back on Rules for Radicals, PTM. I've never read it although I know many of the "rules", etc.

DonnaMaria
05-25-2011, 03:23 PM

It's an interesting topic but the writing is too dry. But since I've already read 350 pages, I'm finishing it. :irked:
I'll try The Hunger Games, it sounds good. I hope you report back on Rules for Radicals, PTM. I've never read it although I know many of the "rules", etc.

You are tenacious! :)I probably would have ditched it a while ago.:laugh:

I’m reading three books at once. I have ADD………:ashamed:

The Five People You Meet In Heaven

The Penderwicks ( With my youngest before bedtime. Kind of like a modern day Little Women )

And

I Hate My Neck

VCURamFan
05-25-2011, 04:30 PM
A Fighter's Mind by Sam Sheridan. It's the sequel to A Fighter's Heart & it's more about the mental & gameplan aspect of the fight. Chapter 1 was all about Dan Gable & Chpater 2 is about Freddie Roach. Really good read so far. For the most part, he just lets the subject "talk" & will only interject with info needed to provide background & context. Really good stuff.

flo
05-25-2011, 04:57 PM
You are tenacious! :)I probably would have ditched it a while ago.:laugh:

I’m reading three books at once. I have ADD………:ashamed:

The Five People You Meet In Heaven

The Penderwicks ( With my youngest before bedtime. Kind of like a modern day Little Women )

And

I Hate My Neck

DonnaMaria, is that last one the Nora Ephron book, I Feel Bad About My Neck? I LOVE her, do you like the book? I looked up The Five People...and that sounds good too. I wasn't crazy about Tuesdays With Maurie but this book you're reading sounds intriguing (and I just googled and read they made a movie about it...I have to get out more :laugh:).

DonnaMaria
05-26-2011, 03:21 PM
DonnaMaria, is that last one the Nora Ephron book, I Feel Bad About My Neck? I LOVE her, do you like the book? I looked up The Five People...and that sounds good too. I wasn't crazy about Tuesdays With Maurie but this book you're reading sounds intriguing (and I just googled and read they made a movie about it...I have to get out more :laugh:).

Yep! I really botched the title of the book! Nora Ephron! Excellent book! I read it in one sitting! Have you read it?

And I didn't like Tuesdays with Maurie either but I really like The Five People You Meet in Heaven! Not anything like what I expected, but I adore it so far! Really really interesting! A very different "take" on heaven but one that is really interesting! AND it has a happy ending! I love books with happy endings! :laugh:

The movie wasn't that great though! Just stick with the book! :wink:

Play The Man
06-01-2011, 03:31 AM
Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther by Roland Bainton

Play The Man
06-01-2011, 03:32 AM

Hopefully, I will get to it . . eventually.

BamaGrits84
06-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Made to Crave

I just finsihed reading the last series in the Yada Yada Prayer Group House of Hope Series. Great read for women!

Play The Man
06-20-2011, 11:11 PM
The Snowman by Jo Nesbø

Buzzard
06-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Loitering with Intent: Stuart Woods

surveyorshawn
06-24-2011, 12:16 AM
"Lion in the White House: A Life of Theodore Roosevelt" by Aida D. Donald

Teddy Roosevelt is one of my favorite historical figures.

And:

"The Historical Bigfoot" by Chad Arment

which is a collection of old newspaper articles from the late 1700's to the early 1900's. It's pretty interesting, and at times funny. Lots of newspapers of the period made up stories to sell papers, and many folks were afraid of the unknown creatures of the unexplored interior of the continent.

Next on the list:

"Lost + Found: Finding Myself By Getting Lost in an Affair" by David Trotter
This one should hit close to home, and I am looking forward to it!

lyndsey823
06-26-2011, 02:13 AM
Hmm let's see, right now I'm reading:

I Drink for a Reason by David Cross
Are you there Vodka, it's me Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
Decision Points by George Bush
Junction Boys by ???? (it's at work lol)
American Psycho
Tinkers by Paul Harding
Lost Souls by Lisa Jackson
and I am currently looking for the 2nd book in The Frankenstein series by Dean Koontz

Yeah I'm a bit of a nerd, lol. I love to read. Keeps me out of trouble ;)

Play The Man
06-26-2011, 04:38 AM
Litter: How Other People's Rubbish Shapes Our Lives by Theodore Dalrymple

Play The Man
06-26-2011, 04:39 AM
Hmm let's see, right now I'm reading:

I Drink for a Reason by David Cross
Are you there Vodka, it's me Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
Decision Points by George Bush
Junction Boys by ???? (it's at work lol)
American Psycho
Tinkers by Paul Harding
Lost Souls by Lisa Jackson
and I am currently looking for the 2nd book in The Frankenstein series by Dean Koontz

Yeah I'm a bit of a nerd, lol. I love to read. Keeps me out of trouble ;)

Life is short. You will never get back the time you wasted reading a book by Chelsea Handler.:wink:

Play The Man
06-26-2011, 04:43 AM
"Lion in the White House: A Life of Theodore Roosevelt" by Aida D. Donald

Teddy Roosevelt is one of my favorite historical figures.

And:

"The Historical Bigfoot" by Chad Arment

which is a collection of old newspaper articles from the late 1700's to the early 1900's. It's pretty interesting, and at times funny. Lots of newspapers of the period made up stories to sell papers, and many folks were afraid of the unknown creatures of the unexplored interior of the continent.

Next on the list:

"Lost + Found: Finding Myself By Getting Lost in an Affair" by David Trotter
This one should hit close to home, and I am looking forward to it!
Have you read the Edmund Morris trilogy of TR books? The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt is an incredible book. I was able to snag an autographed copy of Colonel Roosevelt via the Theodore Roosevelt Association. I haven't read it as of yet.

lyndsey823
06-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Life is short. You will never get back the time you wasted reading a book by Chelsea Handler.:wink:

Lol I'll read anything. My tastes are all over the place. If you saw my stack of books that I just finished you'd understand. If it sounds interesting, I'll pick it up!

surveyorshawn
06-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Have you read the Edmund Morris trilogy of TR books? The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt is an incredible book. I was able to snag an autographed copy of Colonel Roosevelt via the Theodore Roosevelt Association. I haven't read it as of yet.

I haven't, but I will but them down! My wife gave me The Wilderness Hunter and Tales of a Ranch Hand one year for Christmas, and I enjoyed them thoroughly. She also gave me The Man-eaters of Tsavo by Col. James Patterson, for which Roosevelt wrote the forward.

Play The Man
06-26-2011, 11:18 PM
I haven't, but I will but them down! My wife gave me The Wilderness Hunter and Tales of a Ranch Hand one year for Christmas, and I enjoyed them thoroughly. She also gave me The Man-eaters of Tsavo by Col. James Patterson, for which Roosevelt wrote the forward.

The Trilogy is a modern masterpiece. The lions are stuffed and mounted in an exhibit at the Field Museum in Chicago. It is worth a look if you ever find yourself in Chicago.

surveyorshawn
06-28-2011, 01:09 AM
The Trilogy is a modern masterpiece. The lions are stuffed and mounted in an exhibit at the Field Museum in Chicago. It is worth a look if you ever find yourself in Chicago.

I've only been there once, and I never left the airport. I had to take a detour flying back from WI due to a blizzard.

Play The Man
06-28-2011, 02:12 AM
I've only been there once, and I never left the airport. I had to take a detour flying back from WI due to a blizzard.
Here is a link to the exhibit at the museum http://archive.fieldmuseum.org/exhibits/exhibit_sites/tsavo/default.htm

http://fieldmuseum.org/sites/default/files/styles/article-original-aspect/public/tsavo_exhibits_0.png

flo
07-10-2011, 09:09 PM
DonnaMaria, I just finished "I hate my neck" and I really enjoyed it! I literally laughed out loud throughout much of it (the purse chapter was hilarious!!). I forgot how much I enjoy Nora Ephron...thanks for the recommendation!

I kept thinking of Heartburn while I was reading it and her marriage to Carl Bernstein, lol

DonnaMaria
07-10-2011, 09:15 PM
DonnaMaria, I just finished "I hate my neck" and I really enjoyed it! I literally laughed out loud throughout much of it (the purse chapter was hilarious!!). I forgot how much I enjoy Nora Ephron...thanks for the recommendation!

I kept thinking of Heartburn while I was reading it and her marriage to Carl Bernstein, lol

Glad you liked it! It really was a great read!

The purse chapter and the chapter about plastic surgery were my favorites! Any time I see a woman in a turtleneck I think of her! My turtleneck years are fast approaching! :scared0011::laugh:

Neezar
07-11-2011, 02:39 PM
The Circle Trilogy by Nora Roberts

An old vampire Lilith is declaring war in ancient Geall. Morrigan, an old goddess, has charged Hoyt with finding the chosen circle of six; a sorcerer, a shape shifter, a warrior, scholar, witch, and the lost one. They will form an army and lead them against the vampires.

Hoyt travels to modern day to find some of the circle, then to Ireland where some find him. Some training and then back in time to Geall where he rides Dragons like a war horse.

Great books so far. Would make an awesome movie.

DonnaMaria
07-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Sounds like a cool book Denise! I might have to try it!

My latest self-help book..........

"Why Do Men Have Nipples? Hundreds of Questions You'd Only Ask a Doctor After Your Third Martini!"

I love it! Loveitloveitloveitloveit!!!! :laugh:

VCURamFan
07-11-2011, 06:05 PM
I guess I'm still technically reading "A Fighter's Mind" since I haven't finished it, but I haven't opened it up in a few weeks. That's cool, though: i'll have plenty of time to read it during my trip to & from Belize next week!

Primadawn
07-11-2011, 08:10 PM
It's summer. I'm reading garbage Evanovich. :laugh:

Neezar
07-11-2011, 08:57 PM
It's summer. I'm reading garbage Evanovich. :laugh:

I love those! :laugh:

CAVEMAN
07-11-2011, 09:23 PM
I have been reading "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis for over 6 months now. It's taking so long because I have to keep going back and rereading certain chapters because there is so much to grasp!:laugh:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
07-12-2011, 07:48 PM
I've been reading Pawprints of History! I don't remember who the writer is. I find the effect Dogs have had on history to be fasinating! Some of them have actually had a huge impact on human events. For example the Mew Foundland that saved Neapolean from drowning to the dog that indirectly cuased a war! According to ledgend they also had a big impact on the life and work of Saint Packtric!

Play The Man
07-14-2011, 12:02 AM
RECKLE$$ ENDANGERMENT - How Outsized Ambition, Greed, and Corruption Led To Economic Armageddon by Gretchen Morgenson and Joshua Rosner

Fool Or Physician: The Memoirs Of A Sceptical Doctor by Anthony Daniels

Play The Man
07-17-2011, 06:52 PM
The Lotus And The Cross by Ravi Zacharias

flo
07-17-2011, 07:01 PM
RECKLE$$ ENDANGERMENT - How Outsized Ambition, Greed, and Corruption Led To Economic Armageddon by Gretchen Morgenson and Joshua Rosner

Fool Or Physician: The Memoirs Of A Sceptical Doctor by Anthony Daniels

I've heard some good things about this book, what did you think of it PTM?

DonnaMaria
07-18-2011, 01:19 AM
Gift From The Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

I read it each summer. I love it as much today as I did when I first read it 10 years ago.

Play The Man
08-29-2011, 08:26 AM
The Dream And The Nightmare: The Sixties' Legacy To The Underclass by Myron Magnet

The Road To Serfdom by Friedrich Hayek

DonnaMaria
08-29-2011, 11:06 AM
I just read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley because Jessica needed to read it for an honors class and was having trouble with the material. And I also didn't know the book at all and wanted to know what she was reading about.

And wow.................:scared0011: Scary stuff. Disturbing. And was he spot on about the future..........

Hard to believe he wrote it in 1931.

Crisco
08-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Game of Thrones George R.R. Martin

Llamafighter
08-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Game of Thrones George R.R. Martin

Heck yeah!
I'm through the first two and gearing up to read the 3rd.

Play The Man
08-31-2011, 07:04 AM
After America by Mark Steyn

Play The Man
09-17-2011, 06:06 PM
A Date With Death - The Secret Life Of The Accused "Craigslist Killer" by Michele R. McPhee

Play The Man
09-19-2011, 06:58 AM
The Mirage Man: Bruce Ivins, the Anthrax Attacks, and America's Rush to War by David Willman

Play The Man
09-26-2011, 07:03 AM
For The Thrill Of It: Leopold, Loeb And The Murder That Shocked Chicago by Simon Baatz

NateR
09-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Currently reading Wild At Heart by John Eldredge.

VCURamFan
09-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Currently reading Wild At Heart by John Eldredge.
That was a really good one, but it kinda left me feeling as though if Dad & I weren't out wrestling bears every weekend, then we weren't fulfilling God's purpose. :laugh:

I'm re-starting Disciplines of a Godly Man. Me & some friends were reading through as part of a Bible study, but we never finished it. For a while, I've very specific about the type of woman I want to marry, in terms of her personality, beliefs, intelligence, etc., but I've recently come to the realization that my future wife will be the type of woman who's just as picky about finding me, so I really need to step my game up: I don't think I'd make the cut right now! :laugh:

NateR
09-27-2011, 11:37 PM
That was a really good one, but it kinda left me feeling as though if Dad & I weren't out wrestling bears every weekend, then we weren't fulfilling God's purpose. :laugh:

I'm re-starting Disciplines of a Godly Man. Me & some friends were reading through as part of a Bible study, but we never finished it. For a while, I've very specific about the type of woman I want to marry, in terms of her personality, beliefs, intelligence, etc., but I've recently come to the realization that my future wife will be the type of woman who's just as picky about finding me, so I really need to step my game up: I don't think I'd make the cut right now! :laugh:

Yeah, there are some conclusions that I don't agree with, but he does have a lot of insight into exactly what's wrong with men in our current society. The only real difference between a man and a child in America right now is the price tag attached to his toys (Ironic, I know, coming from someone who collects toys as a hobby, but.... ) .

The only thing I really disagree with is his idea that GOD intends for every man to be married. The pressure to marry is a societal one, not a Biblical one. Both Jesus and Paul state that marriage is not for everyone and that, in many cases, it was better to not marry if one could handle a lifetime of virginity.

Play The Man
09-29-2011, 05:27 AM
Inside The Criminal Mind by Stanton E. Samenow, Ph.D.

huan
09-29-2011, 05:34 AM
The Only Thing Worth Dying For: How Eleven Green Berets Forged a New Afghanistan by Eric Blehm

Play The Man
10-14-2011, 04:46 PM
The New Vichy Syndrome: Why European Intellectuals Surrender To Barbarism by Theodore Dalrymple

flo
10-14-2011, 06:33 PM
The New Vichy Syndrome: Why European Intellectuals Surrender To Barbarism by Theodore Dalrymple

He's your favorite, PTM! I'd like to hear your opinion of The Mirage Man...

Play The Man
10-14-2011, 09:56 PM
He's your favorite, PTM! I'd like to hear your opinion of The Mirage Man...

Yes, I think he is. He has a new book, Anything Goes. I had to order it from the UK over the internet. It shipped 3 days ago. Hopefully, I will get it soon. In addition, he has another one coming out next month, The Pleasure of Thinking: A Lifelong Addiction. I pre-ordered it.

I thought that The Mirage Man was a very interesting book. I think I liked it because the subject matter fits several of my interests - infectious diseases, bioterrorism, crime, psychopathology, detective stories. After reading the book, I am thoroughly convinced that he was the Anthrax killer. I saw that PBS has a new documentary suggesting some doubt. I haven't viewed the documentary yet, but plan to watch it. Ivins was a very psychologically twisted individual. His bizarre obsession with Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority was fascinating. One of the most striking pieces of circumstantial evidence is the fact that the letters were mailed from a mailbox in front of a KKG sorority. After reading the book, I made a creepy on-line discovery. Ivins had an obsession with bondage and blindfolded women. I discovered that he commented on a YouTube video (the book gives some of the various screen names he used on the internet) of a teenage girl who was blindfolded for a party game at a birthday party. The naive girl typed a response to his comment. She had no clue that she was conversing with a killer who searched out her video because of his fetish for blindfolded females.:scared0011:

Play The Man
10-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Why America Must Not Follow Europe by Daniel Hannan

flo
10-24-2011, 06:56 AM
Why America Must Not Follow Europe by Daniel Hannan

Please give your opinion when you've finished his book, PTM. I am a big fan of Daniel Hannan, he's such a wonderful speaker, very intelligent and and has such common sense! So I was really looking forward to reading The New Road to Serfdom; you can imagine I was surprised to find it a little boring and repetitive. Well, not every great orator translates to a great writer! I'll be interested to hear what you think of his latest.

Llamafighter
10-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Heck yeah!
I'm through the first two and gearing up to read the 3rd.

I'm now about 30 pages from finishing the 3rd book "A Storm of Swords". The way this one is endinging I'll no doubt be jumping right into the 4th book ASAP.

VCURamFan
10-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Trucking through The Hobbit right now & afterwards will (naturally) move onto the Big 3. Also have a couple of the Christopher Tolkien books that I haven't yet read, so we'll see how his abilities as a compiler of notes stack up.

flo
10-24-2011, 06:23 PM
When I'm feeling a little down, I read The Hobbit or the trilogy. :) They are like old friends.

I was so excited when The Children of Hurin came out in 2007. I see from my bookmark I didn't get past page 37. Maybe I should give it another go...

Ditto for The Silmarillion.

pssst, PTM, I have a first American edition...

Play The Man
10-24-2011, 07:48 PM
The Prodigal God - Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith by Timothy Keller

Play The Man
10-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Please give your opinion when you've finished his book, PTM. I am a big fan of Daniel Hannan, he's such a wonderful speaker, very intelligent and and has such common sense! So I was really looking forward to reading The New Road to Serfdom; you can imagine I was surprised to find it a little boring and repetitive. Well, not every great orator translates to a great writer! I'll be interested to hear what you think of his latest.

It is more of a booklet than a book. It is part of the Encounter Broadside series: "Uniting an 18th-century sense of political urgency and rhetorical wit (think The Federalist Papers, Common Sense) with 21st-century technology and channels of distribution, Encounter Broadsides offer indispensable ammunition for intelligent debate on the critical issues of our time . . . Read them in a sitting and come away knowing the best we can hope for and the worst we must fear."

It is only 50 pages so it is difficult to be repetitive in that short a time. I found it to be insightful. For example, here is his take on the American Revolution:

"Later accounts of the revolution generally portrayed it as a national uprising - as, indeed, a War of Independence. But this interpretation depends on a very selective reading of what the patriot leaders were arguing at the time. They saw themselves not as revolutionaries but as conservatives. In their own minds, all they were asking for was what they had always assumed to be their birthright as Englishmen. The real revolutionaries, as they saw it, were those in the Georgian Court who were seeking to impose a new settlement, in contravention of the ancient constitution: one that would tilt the balance from legislature to executive and open the door to oppressive government."

Play The Man
10-24-2011, 08:01 PM
When I'm feeling a little down, I read The Hobbit or the trilogy. :) They are like old friends.

I was so excited when The Children of Hurin came out in 2007. I see from my bookmark I didn't get past page 37. Maybe I should give it another go...

pssst, PTM, I have a first American edition...

I'm envious.

Play The Man
10-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Raven - The Untold Story of the Rev. Jim Jones and His People by Tim Reiterman with John Jacobs

VCURamFan
10-25-2011, 05:50 PM

pssst, PTM, I have a first American edition...I've only ever made it through the first little bit of the Silmarillion, so I'm kinda excited to try again.

I had never heard of Children of Hurin until I was in the library grabbing the 4 off the shelf & I grabbed that one up, too. I'm pretty stoked to check it out.

I'm envious.
Yeah, me too!

flo
10-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I've only ever made it through the first little bit of the Silmarillion, so I'm kinda excited to try again.

I had never heard of Children of Hurin until I was in the library grabbing the 4 off the shelf & I grabbed that one up, too. I'm pretty stoked to check it out.

Yeah, me too!

I hope you will post a review, Ben. Since we're both fans of Tolkien, I'll be interested to hear what you think and perhaps give it another try. Otherwise, I may have to donate it to PTM's gigantic book collection (although there is a personal dedication on the endpaper).

VCURamFan
10-25-2011, 08:45 PM
I hope you will post a review, Ben. Since we're both fans of Tolkien, I'll be interested to hear what you think and perhaps give it another try. Otherwise, I may have to donate it to PTM's gigantic book collection (although there is a personal dedication on the endpaper).
Hahaha, should I do a Ram Tale: Silmarillion & Ram Tale: Children of Hurin? :laugh:

huan
10-25-2011, 10:25 PM
I've only ever made it through the first little bit of the Silmarillion, so I'm kinda excited to try again.
Wonder where I got "huan" from? :P

VCURamFan
10-26-2011, 02:29 AM
Wonder where I got "huan" from? :P

O snap!!! :w00t:

Gonna have to fast-forward through the Hobbit now! Who cares that they just opened the secret door on Durin's Day & are about to send Bilbo in to scope out smog!!! :frantics:

Play The Man
10-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Practical Home Security: A Guide to Safer Urban Living by Alex Haddox

flo
10-28-2011, 10:19 PM

I hope you and your family aren't having troubles again in that department, PTM...

Dethbob
10-29-2011, 03:32 PM

I recomend:

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Personal-Defense-Jeff-Cooper/dp/0873644972

This book is not the usual 'tricks of the trade' thing, but more like software upgrade. Thin book, easy read, but high content density.

ERStettin
10-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Just finished Steven Tylers: "Does the noise in my head bother you?" and starting Bob Proberts: Tough guy, my life on the edge. I am a simple SOB.

cheachea
10-30-2011, 04:44 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MK%2BRxtbeL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Neezar
10-30-2011, 04:58 PM
http://www.rightwingconservativestore.com/aom/img.php?i=51Lv-221yRL.jpg

bradwright
10-31-2011, 04:10 AM
I'm currently reading the July 2006 edition of playboy....oh crap...its a magazine,not a book...sorry about that...dont mind me and please...carry on.

Neezar
10-31-2011, 04:15 AM
I'm currently reading the July 2006 edition of playboy....oh crap...its a magazine,not a book...sorry about that...dont mind me and please...carry on.

Reading it? Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

lol

MattHughesRocks
10-31-2011, 04:40 AM
How about " what are you supposed to be reading?" Experiencing God". I'd better get on it because my new growth group starts this week and I have to read 1-5 before hand! :scared0011:

Can I get a cheat sheet? Anyone???:unsure-1:

flo
10-31-2011, 05:35 AM

2006? Sheesh, I'll throw a quarter in the pot to buy you one from this decade, brad. :)

Play The Man
10-31-2011, 06:22 AM
I hope you and your family aren't having troubles again in that department, PTM...

No. The author, Alex Haddox, has an excellent podcast called "Practical Defense". I have listened to almost every episode over the past 1-2 years and put many of his suggestions into practice. Mr. Haddox just put out the ebook. I bought it as a way to support him. The book was quite basic and all of the information has been covered in his podcasts. "Practical Defense" is available on iTunes or through the Practical Defense website of Alex Haddox. I highly recommend it.

Play The Man
10-31-2011, 06:23 AM
I recomend:

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Personal-Defense-Jeff-Cooper/dp/0873644972

This book is not the usual 'tricks of the trade' thing, but more like software upgrade. Thin book, easy read, but high content density.

Thank you for the recommendation. I have Col. Cooper's book.

Play The Man
10-31-2011, 06:25 AM
Reading it? Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

lol

Brad Wright hasn't been posting much lately. He must be busy. He certainly seems to have his hands full. :Whistle:

Neezar
10-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Brad Wright hasn't been posting much lately. He must be busy. He certainly seems to have his hands full. :Whistle:

Hope he isn't eating Cheetos. :unsure-1:

:laugh: (reference to an old joke, in case anyone (flo) doesn't get it. lol)

j/k Don't kill me. :laugh:

flo
10-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Hope he isn't eating Cheetos. :unsure-1:

:laugh: (reference to an old joke, in case anyone (flo) doesn't get it. lol)

j/k Don't kill me. :laugh:

:fryingpan:

Took me a while...

Play The Man
11-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Do The Work by Steven Pressfield

Play The Man
11-04-2011, 07:25 AM
The Innkeeper by John Piper

VCURamFan
11-06-2011, 01:44 AM
Finally finished the Hobbit (I only listen to the books while at work) & Frodo has just [spoiler]just crossed the Ford of Bruinen.[\spoiler].

MattHughesRocks
11-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Books... at work? :bigmouth:

Finally finished the Hobbit (I only listen to the books while at work) & Frodo has just [spoiler]just crossed the Ford of Bruinen.[\spoiler].

VCURamFan
11-06-2011, 01:54 AM
Books... at work? :bigmouth:

Yeah, the majority of my job is putting checks into envelopes, so without something to occupy my mind, I'd go insane in about a week.

MattHughesRocks
11-06-2011, 02:02 AM
And you've started looking for a new job, correct? You didn't get a envelope stuffing education son :sad:

Yeah, the majority of my job is putting checks into envelopes, so without something to occupy my mind, I'd go insane in about a week.

VCURamFan
11-06-2011, 02:09 AM
And you've started looking for a new job, correct? You didn't get a envelope stuffing education son :sad:

Yeah, but my education was in Philosophy, so it's not much more useful to the business world! :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
11-06-2011, 02:28 AM
Well it's better than an envelope degree. Now do something about it before your old and still stuffing envelopesl. You'll end up with a fat wife if you don't! :scared0011:

Yeah, but my education was in Philosophy, so it's not much more useful to the business world! :laugh:

VCURamFan
11-06-2011, 02:32 AM
Well it's better than an envelope degree. Now do something about it before your old and still stuffing envelopesl. You'll end up with a fat wife if you don't! :scared0011:

O, that's how that works out?!? :scared0011: :ninja:

MattHughesRocks
11-06-2011, 02:40 AM
How did you pass me in post?! :angry:

VCURamFan
11-06-2011, 04:35 AM
How did you pass me in post?! :angry:

Ummm, you disappered for a decade-ish & someone had to try & keep Dave in check! :frantics: :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
11-06-2011, 06:09 AM
Riiiiiiight :rolleyes:

Ummm, you disappered for a decade-ish & someone had to try & keep Dave in check! :frantics: :laugh:

Play The Man
11-12-2011, 01:04 AM
The Profiler: My Life Hunting Serial Killers & Psychopaths by Pat Brown with Bob Andelman

flo
11-12-2011, 01:07 AM
The Profiler: My Life Hunting Serial Killers & Psychopaths by Pat Brown with Bob Andelman

Brrr, you're going to have nightmares, PTM!

VCURamFan
11-28-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm into the Two Towers now (Book 4).

Play The Man
12-11-2011, 11:49 PM
The Innkeeper by John Piper

http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/poems/the-innkeeper

The link is to an audio recording of The Innkeeper, a poem. It is just under 10 minutes.

Play The Man
12-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Brrr, you're going to have nightmares, PTM!

No nightmares. Pat Brown has had an interesting life. She does not have a law enforcement background. She studied anthropology in college. She spent the majority of her young adulthood being a housewife, homeschooling her kids and doing some part-time sign language interpreting. She started studying profiling in middle age after she became convinced that a man renting a room in her house was a murdering psychopath. She started out by being self-taught. She read 400 books on profiling. She eventually received a degree in criminal justice, but most of her knowledge came from independent study. The book was a tad disappointing. She is logical and seems to be a good profiler but I don't think any of the cases mentioned in her book ever garnered a criminal conviction.

adamt
12-12-2011, 12:23 AM
the moody handbook of theology by paull enns

Play The Man
12-15-2011, 01:03 AM
The Happiness of the People by Charles Murray

Play The Man
12-25-2011, 07:05 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41015WxMrAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sticklers, Sideburns & Bikinis: The Military Origins of Everyday Words and Phrases by Graeme Donald

cheachea
12-25-2011, 03:27 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQW9y1PsM18KlePL3_CIZHyjijy1HRra 5sHCpTG3DyGsyiHAoSvpQ

surveyorshawn
12-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Under Cover by John Bevere. I read it once in 2002, and am rereading it. I am actually gleaning more from it now than I did then.

Play The Man
01-06-2012, 02:01 AM
http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/115810000/115819213.JPG

NateR
01-06-2012, 04:31 AM
Does this count as a book? :unsure-1:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/hulkvol1.jpg

:)

MattHughesRocks
01-06-2012, 04:49 AM
Ummm. No.

VCURamFan
01-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Ummm. No.

Comic book. Graphic novel. I think so. :cool:

NateR
01-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Comic book. Graphic novel. I think so. :cool:

Plus, the quality of the writing and the subtle characterization is so compelling:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/green-hulk-vs-red-hulk.jpg
:wink:

matthughesfan21
01-06-2012, 10:58 PM
http://blog.usnavyseals.com/uploads/lone-survivor1.jpg

flo
01-06-2012, 11:55 PM
http://blog.usnavyseals.com/uploads/lone-survivor1.jpg

Awesome book. I read it just last fall and the story was so real and compelling I felt like I was there.

Awesome guy as well.

matthughesfan21
01-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Awesome book. I read it just last fall and the story was so real and compelling I felt like I was there.

Awesome guy as well.My recruiter mentioned it to me, and my grandparents were here over Christmas and they said my aunt had ordered it for my cousin who is stationed in Guam and my other cousin(his sister) who's husband is on the USS John C. Stennis

I just started it, but it's great so far...I have a ton of respect for all of those guys, what they go through in BUDS is mind blowing....My roommate at MEPS was leaving the next day for boot camp, he was going to be a SEAL

flo
01-07-2012, 06:46 AM
My recruiter mentioned it to me, and my grandparents were here over Christmas and they said my aunt had ordered it for my cousin who is stationed in Guam and my other cousin(his sister) who's husband is on the USS John C. Stennis

I just started it, but it's great so far...I have a ton of respect for all of those guys, what they go through in BUDS is mind blowing....My roommate at MEPS was leaving the next day for boot camp, he was going to be a SEAL

What branch are you going into, mhf, if you don't mind me asking?

One of the (many) things I enjoyed about the book is that Marcus went through SEAL training from start to finish. It was really amazing and now I understand why they are the "elite of the elite fighting forces". I'll be interested to hear what you think of the book.

matthughesfan21
01-07-2012, 06:31 PM
What branch are you going into, mhf, if you don't mind me asking?

One of the (many) things I enjoyed about the book is that Marcus went through SEAL training from start to finish. It was really amazing and now I understand why they are the "elite of the elite fighting forces". I'll be interested to hear what you think of the book.

Navy, I leave in April, i'll be a cryptologic technician so I'll be running non-communications based radar (ship defense basically) and I picked up the option for the advanced electronics fields, so I'll have to do repairs as well...My recruiter wanted me to go Nuclear, but it sounded miserable. I scored high enough on my ASVAB to have my choice of any job, so I made sure I got one that I thought I'd enjoy.

I watched a show called Surviving the Cut, they have an episode for every special forces group, but the SEALS one blew me away...Hell Week for them seems like it would be worse than hell itself

flo
01-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Best of luck to you. I hope you're going to let people here on the forums know how it is going after you start your BT.

matthughesfan21
01-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Best of luck to you. I hope you're going to let people here on the forums know how it is going after you start your BT.Thanks Flo, I won't be able to in boot camp of course, I will once I get to Pensacola which would be in June

VCURamFan
01-08-2012, 03:24 AM
Thanks Flo, I won't be able to in boot camp of course, I will once I get to Pensacola which would be in June
I'll be praying for you, man. Anything specific you'd like me to focus on?

matthughesfan21
01-08-2012, 03:47 AM
I'll be praying for you, man. Anything specific you'd like me to focus on?
Thanks man, I appreciate it but it's not necessary, there's plenty of troops overseas who need them much more than I do

VCURamFan
01-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Thanks man, I appreciate it but it's not necessary, there's plenty of troops overseas who need them much more than I do
I can do both. It's the training you'll get now that'll keep you safe out there.

Play The Man
02-02-2012, 05:58 AM
http://bks5.books.google.com/books?id=VX0aAQAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1

Play The Man
02-02-2012, 05:27 PM
http://cache.smashwire.com/bookCovers/a9a63e2a8cdfc16a80621434a21e88caaf717dc1-thumb

Pastor Chris F
02-02-2012, 06:14 PM
The Boneman's Daughter. Ted Dekker. If you like Criminal minds you will loved Ted Dekker's Books. I just finished The Bride Collector and it was great as well. It has been a long time since I read just for fun.

MattHughesRocks
02-04-2012, 05:44 AM
I have The Case For Christ & The Case For Faith that I'm supposed to read to help me preach to a fence rider. I don't really feel like reading them though. Can someone just tell me what they say? :unsure-1:

Neezar
02-04-2012, 05:47 AM
I have The Case For Christ & The Case For Faith that I'm supposed to read to help me preach to a fence rider. I don't really feel like reading them though. Can someone just tell me what they say? :unsure-1:

Yeah. Quick foot notes.

Anyone?

Bueller?

MattHughesRocks
02-04-2012, 05:53 AM
Thanks Denise. Now when someone comments I'll just print it out and send to the person that really needs it! :w00t:

Yeah. Quick foot notes.

Anyone?

Bueller?

Neezar
02-04-2012, 05:55 AM
Thanks Denise. Now when someone comments I'll just print it out and send to the person that really needs it! :w00t:

Did you know Bueller is coming out with a new movie? This time he's playing hooky from work.

MattHughesRocks
02-04-2012, 05:58 AM
Umm...yeah Denise :unsure-1:

Did you know Bueller is coming out with a new movie? This time he's playing hooky from work.

MattHughesRocks
02-04-2012, 05:58 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

MattHughesRocks
02-04-2012, 05:59 AM
Hey! You have to wait 30 seconds in between posts :angry:

Neezar
02-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Hey! You have to wait 30 seconds in between posts :angry:

Not in a different thread. I come back to it.

Neezar
02-04-2012, 06:00 AM

Umm...yeah Denise :unsure-1:

:ashamed::laugh::laugh:

The movie trailer premier will be during the super bowl.

MattHughesRocks
02-04-2012, 06:03 AM
Oh GOD I hate football :blink:

:ashamed::laugh::laugh:

The movie trailer premier will be during the super bowl.

Neezar
02-04-2012, 06:07 AM

Me, too. I just watch for the commercials. lol

TexasRN
02-04-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It's about time travel and what may happen if you go back in time and change things. Of course, it has Stephen King type twists to it and has parts set in Derry, ME (where It and other books were set). Parts are also supposed to be in Dallas so the main character can stop Oswald from assassinating Kennedy. It's good so far but I'm only like 1/10th through it. It's HUGE!

~Amy

Pastor Chris F
02-04-2012, 04:39 PM

Case for faith is horrible but Case for Christ would be worth your time. However if you do not want to read it you can get the movie. :)

Pastor Chris F
02-04-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It's about time travel and what may happen if you go back in time and change things. Of course, it has Stephen King type twists to it and has parts set in Derry, ME (where It and other books were set). Parts are also supposed to be in Dallas so the main character can stop Oswald from assassinating Kennedy. It's good so far but I'm only like 1/10th through it. It's HUGE!

~Amy

I saw this in the store and it look interesting. Let me know how you like it without spoiling later. FTR OSWALD did not kill JFK it was the mob guy in the grassy knoll. :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
02-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Why is faith horrible?
Case for faith is horrible but Case for Christ would be worth your time. However if you do not want to read it you can get the movie. :)

Irish Pride
02-04-2012, 07:01 PM
American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History

flo
02-04-2012, 07:50 PM
American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History

Same here! I'm about 1/3 through it, we'll have to compare notes when we finish it.

Play The Man
02-11-2012, 08:00 AM
http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/133940000/133949843.JPG

Pastor Chris F
02-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Why is faith horrible?

most of the "experts" he uses are very liberal in their theology. Many of them do not hold to a literal hell. And some teach the swoon theory.

TexasRN
02-14-2012, 04:50 PM
I saw this in the store and it look interesting. Let me know how you like it without spoiling later. FTR OSWALD did not kill JFK it was the mob guy in the grassy knoll. :laugh:

I finished it, finally. It's a really long one and I wanted to savor it. He started this one back in the 70s which may explain why I liked it. His newer stuff just hasn't been his best work, imo. It has some interesting twists and even gave the boyfriend and me topics to debate. You know, which is more correct in time travel 1) Back to the Future or 2) Stephen King's newest novel. :laugh: Yeah, we're a little nerdy. :ashamed:

~Amy

Play The Man
02-29-2012, 07:02 AM
http://tellerbooks.com/covers/classics/8.La%20Loi_Eng%20(Bastiat)_thumb-zoom.jpg

VCURamFan
02-29-2012, 01:06 PM
My dad & I have lunch once a week to catch up & discuss a book. We're starting a new one this week, though I'm pretty sure it's familiar to a lot of y'all:

http://images.contentreserve.com/ImageType-100/1181-1/%7B7BD52B2C-DFDC-4151-95DD-996A27745C0A%7DImg100.jpg

Play The Man
03-06-2012, 03:23 AM
http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/115810000/115819066.JPG

Play The Man
03-14-2012, 08:31 AM
http://cache.smashwire.com/bookCovers/82cecf507523bf18c1f4d9e2ad8ea0924eb3fe94-thumb

County Mike
03-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Stephen King's 11/22/63. Great story so far.

Play The Man
03-15-2012, 09:21 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IivJgEMiR_M/S8y3HOc4zGI/AAAAAAAABXU/Shl08F7digA/s320/flaubert27large.jpg

F34R
03-15-2012, 11:53 PM
The Matt Hughes book, again. hehe Wonder if I can get this in a kindle version lol.

edit..

i just searched amazon, and it is indeed available on the kindle!!! BOUGHT!

VCURamFan
03-16-2012, 02:45 AM
The Matt Hughes book, again. hehe Wonder if I can get this in a kindle version lol.

edit..

i just searched amazon, and it is indeed available on the kindle!!! BOUGHT!

Yeah, that was one of the first things I bought when I downloaded my Kindle app! :laugh:

TexasRN
03-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Stephen King's 11/22/63. Great story so far.

I read that one. I enjoyed it. It has some twists in it that I enjoyed.

~Amy

TexasRN
03-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln

It's actually a lighter read than I thought it would be. I'm enjoying it!

~Amy

Conrad
03-19-2012, 02:11 AM
My dad & I have lunch once a week to catch up & discuss a book. We're starting a new one this week, though I'm pretty sure it's familiar to a lot of y'all:

http://images.contentreserve.com/ImageType-100/1181-1/%7B7BD52B2C-DFDC-4151-95DD-996A27745C0A%7DImg100.jpg

Read it long ago before picking up on better discernment qualifiers. Don't remember being shown anything outlandishly bad, but this was before 2000. I remember being somewhat encouraged by it at the time. I hope you enjoy it.

"God's Lesser Glory" - Bruce A. Ware
"Redefining Christianity" - Bob DeWaay

Was reading "A 'Wonderful' Deception" by Warren B Smith, but swapped it for DeWaay. They cover the same topic from totally different styles and angles, and then Smith hits some other things later on.

On deck after the above three are "Mortification of Sin" by John Owen and "Worldliness" by Timothy Keller

"A Pastor's Sketches" (Vol.1) by Ichabod Spencer - not always reading it, but keep it around for the occasional anecdote--standalone chapters.

Play The Man
03-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Read it long ago before picking up on better discernment qualifiers. Don't remember being shown anything outlandishly bad, but this was before 2000. I remember being somewhat encouraged by it at the time. I hope you enjoy it.

"God's Lesser Glory" - Bruce A. Ware
"Redefining Christianity" - Bob DeWaay

Was reading "A 'Wonderful' Deception" by Warren B Smith, but swapped it for DeWaay. They cover the same topic from totally different styles and angles, and then Smith hits some other things later on.

On deck after the above three are "Mortification of Sin" by John Owen and "Worldliness" by Timothy Keller

"A Pastor's Sketches" (Vol.1) by Ichabod Spencer - not always reading it, but keep it around for the occasional anecdote--standalone chapters.

Conrad, I try to read all of Timothy Keller's books. I'm not familiar with the one you mentioned. Is it a sermon or booklet, or is it actually a book? Do you have a link to it? Thank you.

Play The Man
04-09-2012, 07:14 AM
http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1176224395l/604620.jpg

County Mike
04-09-2012, 12:43 PM
On the third book of the Hunger Games. Fun stuff.

VCURamFan
04-11-2012, 07:00 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51W6CTA690L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Play The Man
04-13-2012, 06:56 PM
http://www.blueflowerarts.com/images/stories/book_covers/small/robertson3.jpg

VCURamFan
04-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Just finished:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415XW38S2JL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This is at least the third time I've read this book & I love it more & more each time I read it! :w00t:

Now I'm starting:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hVRwws2%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

flo
04-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Just finished:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415XW38S2JL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This is at least the third time I've read this book & I love it more & more each time I read it! :w00t:

Now that sounds like a great recommendation, I'm going to add it to my library request list.

VCURamFan
04-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Now that sounds like a great recommendation, I'm going to add it to my library request list.
It is the greatest murder mystery I've ever read. Absolutely turns you upside down & makes you change your mind 15 times. Even knowing the solution this time through, I still caught myself cheering for/against various characters. Absolutely amazing.

Play The Man
04-13-2012, 09:56 PM
http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/117010000/117013848.JPG

VCURamFan
04-14-2012, 01:49 PM
http://thefrontblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/ulysses.jpg

Philips4
04-15-2012, 04:22 AM
On the third book of the Hunger Games. Fun stuff.

Me too!! My daughter made me read the book before I could go see the movie and now I'm hooked!

Play The Man
04-17-2012, 06:55 AM
http://static.crossway.org/products/medium/9781433503993.jpg

County Mike
04-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Me too!! My daughter made me read the book before I could go see the movie and now I'm hooked!

Was a really good story. The Capital is twisted!

Play The Man
04-24-2012, 07:34 AM
http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/102650000/102656170.jpg

Play The Man
04-26-2012, 06:50 AM
http://bp0.blogger.com/_hvV0JHPYX_I/SI118jdbhTI/AAAAAAAABC8/4peCqV9hTWE/s400/cautionary+tales+for+children.jpg

Bedtime tales for the kids. Our favorites are: "Jim, Who Ran Away From His Nurse, And Was Eaten By A Lion" and "Matilda, Who Told Lies, And Was Burned to Death". Please don't report me to Child Protective Services. :wink:

County Mike
04-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Wind through the keyhole.

Stephen King's new Gunslinger novel.

Play The Man
04-28-2012, 07:27 PM
http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/103620000/103623554.JPG

Play The Man
05-06-2012, 01:03 AM
http://mondaybooks.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/policeman-and-brothel-internet-version.jpg?w=192&h=300

Play The Man
05-31-2012, 06:49 AM
http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/144140000/144142730.JPG

VCURamFan
05-31-2012, 11:19 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51tT9%2BV9vJL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

NateR
05-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Just finished reading God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514tmPcQLhL._AA300_.jpg

It's about a Dutch missionary who smuggled Bibles behind the Iron Curtain during the 1950s and 1960s. Excellent book and one that is spiritually convicting as well. We tend to take for granted how easily we can find a Bible here in the US, not realizing that there are people out there even today who would risk their lives just for a single page from the Bible.

rockdawg21
05-31-2012, 07:12 PM
I read to learn, so...

http://www.deepeshmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/complete-mba-for-dummies.JPG

flo
06-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Just finished:

[/IMG]

I just read it, it was very good. Now I remember why Agatha Christie was the paragon for mystery writing!

I also started Judgment Ridge but it kind of freaked me out so I will have to request it again from the library when I'm in a more secure state of mind.

Misused words also sounds like a good read, did you enjoy it, PTM?

VCURamFan
06-01-2012, 01:59 AM
I just read it, it was very good. Now I remember why Agatha Christie was the paragon for mystery writing!

I also started Judgment Ridge but it kind of freaked me out so I will have to request it again from the library when I'm in a more secure state of mind.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

J.B.
06-01-2012, 04:54 AM
I'm almost finished with "No Angel" by Jay Dobyns, which I picked up at the airport a few weeks ago. Dobyns was the undercover ATF agent who infiltrated the Hells Angels in Arizona in the early 2000's. His story was featured on an episode of Gangland and on a National Geographic special called "Inside Outlaw Bikers", but the book goes into greater detail than shows possibly can in 45 minutes of TV time.

http://images.betterworldbooks.com/140/No-Angel-9781400162482.jpg

Here is a youtube link to part one of "Inside Outlaw Bikers", the other parts are in the related videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38OCWEeFnY

flo
06-01-2012, 06:23 AM
I'm almost finished with "No Angel" by Jay Dobyns, which I picked up at the airport a few weeks ago. Dobyns was the undercover ATF agent who infiltrated the Hells Angels in Arizona in the early 2000's. His story was featured on an episode of Gangland and on a National Geographic special called "Inside Outlaw Bikers", but the book goes into greater detail than shows possibly can in 45 minutes of TV time.

http://images.betterworldbooks.com/140/No-Angel-9781400162482.jpg

Here is a youtube link to part one of "Inside Outlaw Bikers", the other parts are in the related videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38OCWEeFnY

Would you recommend it?

J.B.
06-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Would you recommend it?

Absolutely. It's definitely an interesting read for anybody who is into that sort of stuff. Obviously, for some people they can watch the documentaries on Gangland or Nat-Geo and that's more than enough information to satisfy them on the subject. While the book contains a lot more specific details on the investigation directly from Dobyns himself, some are relevant, some not. Personally, I have always been fascinated with stuff about outlaw bikers, mobsters, and things of that nature. I decided to buy a book to read on my flight because I didn't bring my laptop along, and being that I was already familiar with the story about Dobyns and the Hells Angels in Arizona, I just bought it when I saw it at the airport bookstore. I have also gotten a more personal kick out of reading this book because he makes a lot of references to local places I know and I am around everyday (at one point he even mentions the wal-mart I just came home from :laugh:) He was also a WR for the Arizona Wildcats before becoming an agent, so he's an AZ guy.

All in all, it's worth the read. It's definitely not all sugar coated and made out to paint him as this knight in shining armor (although at times it may seem that way). As the book is appropriately titled, he was "no angel" when going through those times, and it's put an enormous strain on his family to this day with a barrage of death threats and he even had his house burned down in 2008. Even if you don't get a chance to read the book, the guy has had an interesting life and is worth checking out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Dobyns

EDIT: Here are a couple videos I thought would be interesting to add. Last year, Jay Dobyns and fellow ATF agent Vince Cefalu blew the whistle on the ATF for basically handing guns over to the cartels in Mexico, and one of the guns killed a border patrol agent. I know this is old news, but it's related to Dobyns, and the other agent, Vince Cefalu, is mentioned in "No Angel" as being one of the agents Dobyns had worked undercover with many times over the years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNkkRIE8vv4

In this second video, Dobyns talk a little about his early days with ATF on the Waco Texas raid, and the Oklahoma City bombing. Interesting stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=n4Gx-8hFvbY

flo
06-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Absolutely. It's definitely an interesting read for anybody who is into that sort of stuff. Obviously, for some people they can watch the documentaries on Gangland or Nat-Geo and that's more than enough information to satisfy them on the subject. While the book contains a lot more specific details on the investigation directly from Dobyns himself, some are relevant, some not. Personally, I have always been fascinated with stuff about outlaw bikers, mobsters, and things of that nature. I decided to buy a book to read on my flight because I didn't bring my laptop along, and being that I was already familiar with the story about Dobyns and the Hells Angels in Arizona, I just bought it when I saw it at the airport bookstore. I have also gotten a more personal kick out of reading this book because he makes a lot of references to local places I know and I am around everyday (at one point he even mentions the wal-mart I just came home from :laugh:) He was also a WR for the Arizona Wildcats before becoming an agent, so he's an AZ guy.

All in all, it's worth the read. It's definitely not all sugar coated and made out to paint him as this knight in shining armor (although at times it may seem that way). As the book is appropriately titled, he was "no angel" when going through those times, and it's put an enormous strain on his family to this day with a barrage of death threats and he even had his house burned down in 2008. Even if you don't get a chance to read the book, the guy has had an interesting life and is worth checking out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Dobyns

EDIT: Here are a couple videos I thought would be interesting to add. Last year, Jay Dobyns and fellow ATF agent Vince Cefalu blew the whistle on the ATF for basically handing guns over to the cartels in Mexico, and one of the guns killed a border patrol agent. I know this is old news, but it's related to Dobyns, and the other agent, Vince Cefalu, is mentioned in "No Angel" as being one of the agents Dobyns had worked undercover with many times over the years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNkkRIE8vv4

In this second video, Dobyns talk a little about his early days with ATF on the Waco Texas raid, and the Oklahoma City bombing. Interesting stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=n4Gx-8hFvbY

Wow, that youtube video with Napolitano is almost shocking in how frank their comments are about ATF leadership. I wish they had testified in front of Issa's panel - implementing Fast & Furious was a terrible decision, Agt. Terry lost his life over it and if the media cared there would be consequences all the way to the leadership of the DoJ, in my opinion.

Anyway, my library has it so I requested it, sounds like a really good book, thank you for the info.

Play The Man
06-01-2012, 10:16 PM

Flo, Grammar Girl has a website that covers the same material for free: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/

It is a good "bathroom" read if you get my meaning. :ashamed: Quick, short chapters.

J.B.
06-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Wow, that youtube video with Napolitano is almost shocking in how frank their comments are about ATF leadership. I wish they had testified in front of Issa's panel - implementing Fast & Furious was a terrible decision, Agt. Terry lost his life over it and if the media cared there would be consequences all the way to the leadership of the DoJ, in my opinion.

Anyway, my library has it so I requested it, sounds like a really good book, thank you for the info.

Yeah, Dobyns and Chefalu have been ATF whistleblowers for years, and they have paid a big professional price for that, on top of all the blood, sweat, and tears they put in on the streets for so many years. It's a shame.

VCURamFan
06-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Since the NBA playoffs ended & I'm not much of a baseball fan, there's been no draw for me to listen to sports radio of late, so I've gotten back to listening to books on tape (and by "tape", I of course mean "iPhone").

This was my first book. When I was a lot younger (12 at the most), I had found a semi-abridged comic book form of this & I just had really weird impressions of a tower on a hill, ghosts & an angry guy with big eye-brows. When I saw this at the library, I figured it was about time I sorted this all out:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uUoijcvg_cA/T4klvmi6zrI/AAAAAAAAAtc/fw5T2xCrZGc/s1600/Wuthering+Heights.jpg

Next, I decided to see what all the hype was about with the recent movie, but being a nerd-snob, I can't seem to allow myself to watch the movie with reading the book first. I started this yesterday after lucnh & staid up until 1am last night to finish it:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VwRHS2xAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Now I've moved on the a classic. I wanted Pride & Prejudice or Sense & Sensibility, but those were both already checked out:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yWlxV1fiCk0/TJfcg40GArI/AAAAAAAAAUw/fPq0dulyVw8/s1600/persuasion.jpg

flo
06-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Was Hunger Games really that good, Ben? I know it's popular...

VCURamFan
06-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Was Hunger Games really that good, Ben? I know it's popular...
It was engaging & enjoyable, but I guessed most of the major plot points before the protagonist/narrator (it's told in the first person) figured it out/explained it. It was much lighter fare than the other stuff I've been reading & definitely more entertainment than enrichment. I would recommend it, though, if you're looking for something fun & frivolous that still touches a bit on themes of class opression & civil unrest.

I've since finished Persuasion & have moved from my favorite romantic author (Jane Austin) to my favorite SciFi* author (Orson Scott Card):
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/bestselling-sci-fi-fantasy-2%20006/379-1.jpg

*I don't think that Mr. Card would agree with my classification of him as a SciFi author

flo
06-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out. Right now I'm finishing up "No Angel" that JB recommended, it's also a good read.

Now if only I read as fast as you...seeing as I have 6 library books sitting here on the coffee table, just got a notification of one more to pick up, and I've recently received 8 or nine books from Amazon. :frantics:

VCURamFan
06-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out. Right now I'm finishing up "No Angel" that JB recommended, it's also a good read.

Now if only I read as fast as you...seeing as I have 6 library books sitting here on the coffee table, just got a notification of one more to pick up, and I've recently received 8 or nine books from Amazon. :frantics:
I used to be a voracious reader when I was little, but since I've gotten older & my days have filled up with all this "responsibility" horse-hockey, I've become a voracious listener: I get books on CD from the library, rip 'em to my PC, load 'em on my iPhone & then put my headphones in while I'm at work. It's fantastic, I love it!

flo
06-30-2012, 09:55 PM
I used to be a voracious reader when I was little, but since I've gotten older & my days have filled up with all this "responsibility" horse-hockey, I've become a voracious listener: I get books on CD from the library, rip 'em to my PC, load 'em on my iPhone & then put my headphones in while I'm at work. It's fantastic, I love it!

That's a great idea! I may have to try that.

On another note, I miss Bonnie around here. Sheesh, she had to go on vacation and make the rest of us take up the slack in her absence...

:laugh: heh, heh, J/K Bonnie. :laugh:

(I think she'll be back today)

Irish Pride
07-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Heaven is for Real

http://newyorktimesbestseller.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/HEAVEN-IS-FOR-REAL-e1302241116817.jpg

NateR
07-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Heaven is for Real

http://newyorktimesbestseller.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/HEAVEN-IS-FOR-REAL-e1302241116817.jpg

Do you believe that story? :huh:

Conrad
07-03-2012, 04:51 AM
Do you believe that story? :huh:

I'd be careful about constructing doctrines based on it. It sounded a little exceptional if accurate--more a temporary situation for a child than the permanent description. The father mentioned the "child's level eyes" potential filter twice. :)

I'm reading...
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517y7rh1O3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

...because I asked what was up with the KJV-only people, academically. My friend (a pastor) and I ran out of time on our lunch, and he deferred to the other pastor's library. The other pastor was really busy, so it's nothing big when he basically said, "just read it," (paraphrased).

Conrad
07-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Conrad, I try to read all of Timothy Keller's books. I'm not familiar with the one you mentioned. Is it a sermon or booklet, or is it actually a book? Do you have a link to it? Thank you.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/worldliness-resisting-the-seduction-of-a-fallen-world?keyword=worldliness+resisting+the+seduction+ of+a+fallen+world&store=allproducts

sorry I missed this earlier. Was perusing previous pages to see if anything got a good/bad review on here.

VCURamFan
07-03-2012, 01:19 PM
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/bestselling-sci-fi-fantasy-2%20006/379-1.jpg

OK, so I just finished this book yesterday, & I think it's a very worthwhile read. It's a very look at modern American politics & how relatively easy it would be to tip us into a second civil war. It reads a bit like a Tom Clancy novel (though no one can come close to touching Clancy's mastery of war games), but the afterward, read by Orson Scott Card himseld, is a fantastic caution for us all to bear in mind in an election year. I highly recomend it to every.

Conrad
07-03-2012, 08:31 PM
... but the afterward, read by Orson Scott Card himseld, ...

Thanks for the recommendation. Wait, do you do all your books as audio? Is that how you seem to read so fast?

VCURamFan
07-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. Wait, do you do all your books as audio? Is that how you seem to read so fast?

Yeah. I don't have time to sit still & read them as I would like, but my job has long stretches of fairly mindless work (stuffing checks into envelopes, checking off a list of invoices, etc.), so listening to these books keeps me from going insane from the monotony.

After I finished Empire, I went to another Orson Scott Card book:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mIlbCcgNL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

By the time I had finished that, the 2nd & 3rd books from the Hunger Games had come available, so I picked those up from the library. I finished Catching Fire yesterday:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/09/Catching_fire.JPG/200px-Catching_fire.JPG

This morning I started Mockingjay:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cc/Mockingjay.JPG/200px-Mockingjay.JPG

It funny, because I just came across this on FailBlog.org & it may me bust out laughing :laugh::
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/epic-fail-photos-failbook-the-caffeine-games1.jpg

VCURamFan
07-16-2012, 02:43 PM
I finished Mockingjay (& therefore the whole Hunger Games series) on Thursday. I'll confess, I was simultaneously impressed & disappointed with it. The series as a whole took on some interesting issues, but I felt that it didn't investigate them as fully as it could. As an adult, I was able to see with she (the author) was trying to get at & could consider the merits of her points, but I feel as though the younger readers at whom this series is aimed would just be left feeling somewhat hollow afterwards. It had a "happy" ending on the surface, but had a fairly nihlistic outlook on life.

I moved on to the conclusion of a much more mature & thought-provoking series:
http://www.sfsite.com/grc/1002/helg.jpg

This is the sequel to Orson Scott Card's novel about a modern American civil war. Set 3 years after the events of the first book, this one starts with the rise of a brand new plague from Africa & addresses the issue of how such a crisis could/should/must/might be handled. Once again, Card raises a lot of question about just how much one should value liberty vs. safety, democracy vs. efficacy, etc. I really highly recommend both books to all y'all.

I finished that up Saturday night & have now moved back to a genre that was one of my earliest obsessions:
http://illogicalrogue2.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/darth_plagueiscover.jpg

Darth Plagueis was Darth Sidious' (Emperor Palpatine's) master. This book chronicles from the point Plagueis kills his master & becomes supreme Sith Lord to when (as must evenutally happen with all Sith master/apprentice relationships) he is betrayed by his own apprentice, Darth Sidious, & killed. I'm a little more than a thrid of the way into the book & it's a really fascinating look into the Sith (Sith:Dark Side of the Force::Jedi:Light Side of the Force) & their history/motivations/plans/etc. I'm really enjoying it.

J.B.
07-16-2012, 04:03 PM
I finished reading Chael Sonnen's book yesterday.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bTHk0qfSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If the cover alone doesn't make you want to read it, I'm not sure what will.

It was 220 pages of...well...Chael Sonnen. Honestly, I loved it, and I read it in two days. To be fair, it's only 220 pages, and it's comprised of very short chapters about a wide range of topics. Even though the chapters are short, that is part of Chael's persona and, dare I say, his brilliance. He doesn't need more than few paragraphs to completely flip your brain backwards (or forwards depending on your condition) and make you read what he just said again. So, in essence, his book is probably more like 440 pages.

I don't think I should post a full "review" of this book in here, because it has the potential to derail the book thread into an MMA discussion. I would hate to derail a thread...:ninja: :laugh:

EDIT: Just to note, if you buy this book, and you are familiar with Chael, you will not be able to read it without the voice in your brain narrating it just like Uncle ChaCha!

VCURamFan
07-16-2012, 04:33 PM
I finished reading Chael Sonnen's book yesterday.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bTHk0qfSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If the cover alone doesn't make you want to read it, I'm not sure what will.

It was 220 pages of...well...Chael Sonnen. Honestly, I loved it, and I read it in two days. To be fair, it's only 220 pages, and it's comprised of very short chapters about a wide range of topics. Even though the chapters are short, that is part of Chael's persona and, dare I say, his brilliance. He doesn't need more than few paragraphs to completely flip your brain backwards (or forwards depending on your condition) and make you read what he just said again. So, in essence, his book is probably more like 440 pages.

I don't think I should post a full "review" of this book in here, because it has the potential to derail the book thread into an MMA discussion. I would hate to derail a thread...:ninja: :laugh:

EDIT: Just to note, if you buy this book, and you are familiar with Chael, you will not be able to read it without the voice in your brain narrating it just like Uncle ChaCha!
He's promised to read the audiobook version himself! :laugh:

J.B.
07-16-2012, 05:24 PM
He's promised to read the audiobook version himself! :laugh:

I never saw that he said that, but I would definitely buy it. I actually asked Barnes and Noble if they had it audiobook before buying the actual book and made a sad face when they said, "no, who is Shael Chonnan?" :laugh:

Bonnie
07-16-2012, 08:03 PM

I never saw that he said that, but I would definitely buy it. I actually asked Barnes and Noble if they had it audiobook before buying the actual book and made a sad face when they said, "no, who is Shael Chonnan?" :laugh:

You should have looked shocked, and said, "Chael Sonnen. You know, the man who's going to be our next President!" :laugh:

J.B.
07-16-2012, 08:13 PM

You should have looked shocked, and said, "Chael Sonnen. You know, the man who's going to be our next President!" :laugh:

He talks about his political career being ended after the real estate fiasco. :ninja:

J.B.
07-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Check out Anderson Silva's review of Chael's book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/review/R16UFE4I74KQFB/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1936608545&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

Customer Review

296 of 346 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Shael, Plese Kept Riting Books, May 16, 2012
By
Anderson Silva
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Voice of Reason: A V.I.P. Pass to Enlightenment (Hardcover)
5 Starrs fore this book. Shael shuld knot fighte anymor. Shael shuld keepe beeing awthor. Grate book that my friends Nog, Seagal, and Soares luved. Seagal read it to us befour he tuck us in. That booke dosen't half enof pectures though. Shael keep righting and no fighteing. Leaf Spyder Silva a loan. Let he kept his belte pleeze.

As you can see, Anderson clearly asked Chael to loan him money back in May...or maybe not. You be the judge....:wacko:

Play The Man
12-25-2012, 06:35 AM
http://www.curragh-labs.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/The-Suspicions-of-Mr-Whicher.jpg

http://freakytrigger.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/body-library-2.jpg

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1336024992l/13632001.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VKI_-ftxEwU/UMkL7ecNdVI/AAAAAAABmuk/7cDgUw8PSp4/s1600/cover.jpg

http://static.lulu.com/browse/product_thumbnail.php?productId=427004&resolution=320

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YH328TGBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Play The Man
01-07-2013, 12:59 AM
http://www.waeyc.org/documents/NutureShock/nurtureshock%20book%20photo.jpg
http://c2.bibtopia.com/h/167/543/8543167.0.m.jpg

flo
01-07-2013, 01:53 AM
PTM, how about some a review, particularly the gigantic McGinnes book? :wink: (I take it that is the follow-up to Fatal Vision?). I'd also like to know what you thought of the Lileks and Summerscale books.

I just recalled that McGinnis is the same guy who stalked S. Palin for a story. I had read Fatal Vision but have zero interest in anything he has to say anymore. I'd still like to hear about the other 2 books though, PTM, I was just looking at Amazon and see that the Lileks book is hard to find - my library doesn't have it either!

flo
01-07-2013, 02:02 AM
I just finished http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/ifthisisaman_zps24c3c663.jpg and am now reading http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/radicalchix_zpsccffc8ce.jpg.

Both quick reads but the first one was difficult due to subject matter. I would highly recommend it. I just started the second one but love Wolfe's writing style!

Neezar
01-07-2013, 05:45 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513rrim628L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0812967585/ref=sib_dp_pt/175-3588615-1506445#reader-link)

At the age of twelve, an orphan named Will Cooper is given a horse, a key, and a map and is sent on a journey through the uncharted wilderness of the Cherokee Nation. Will is a bound boy, obliged to run a remote Indian trading post. As he fulfills his lonesome duty, Will finds a father in Bear, a Cherokee chief, and is adopted by him and his people, developing relationships that ultimately forge Will’s character. All the while, his love of Claire, the enigmatic and captivating charge of volatile and powerful Featherstone, will forever rule Will’s heart. In a voice filled with both humor and yearning, Will tells of a lifelong search for home, the hunger for fortune and adventure, the rebuilding of a trampled culture, and above all an enduring pursuit of passion.

Play The Man
01-08-2013, 10:27 PM
PTM, how about some a review, particularly the gigantic McGinnes book? :wink: (I take it that is the follow-up to Fatal Vision?). I'd also like to know what you thought of the Lileks and Summerscale books.

I just recalled that McGinnis is the same guy who stalked S. Palin for a story. I had read Fatal Vision but have zero interest in anything he has to say anymore. I'd still like to hear about the other 2 books though, PTM, I was just looking at Amazon and see that the Lileks book is hard to find - my library doesn't have it either!

Final Vision is a Kindle Single. Kindle Singles are short e-books about the length of a long magazine article, pamphlet, or booklet. They sell for about $2 or $3 rather than the cost of a regular e-book, which is usually $10 or $12. Jeffrey MacDonald has been appealing in the courts for years and this fall there was an important hearing. Final Vison refutes the arguments put forward by MacDonald and his defense team. There was a female drug addict who confessed to being present during the killings. She was a pathological liar who told different stories to different people. She died in the 80's from cirrhosis. MacDonald claims that she and her friends killed his family. The judge should make a ruling this spring. It sounds as if this case will not be finalized for 2-3 more years.

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher was good. It is about a child murder that occurred in an upper-middle-class home in rural Victorian England. The case was investigated by a Detective Whicher, one of the original detectives of Scotland yard. It has been on several lists of the best in crime-related books.

I am only about 1/3 of the way through the Lilek's book. It was only $3 at the Kindle store so I decided to give it a chance. It is about a failed journalist who inherits an old mansion and gets accidentally drawn into several poisoning cases perpetrated by a leftist terrorist organization called the AIL (Alimentary Instruction League). I was curious because it is based in Minnesota and I have ties there. Lileks tends to use a lot of imaginative similes and metaphors and tries to introduce humorous elements. It can be hit or miss at times but I'm interested in seeing how the story plays out.

MattHughesRocks
01-09-2013, 01:40 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Rod_zpsdf46398a.jpg

TexasRN
01-09-2013, 09:39 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513rrim628L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0812967585/ref=sib_dp_pt/175-3588615-1506445#reader-link)

At the age of twelve, an orphan named Will Cooper is given a horse, a key, and a map and is sent on a journey through the uncharted wilderness of the Cherokee Nation. Will is a bound boy, obliged to run a remote Indian trading post. As he fulfills his lonesome duty, Will finds a father in Bear, a Cherokee chief, and is adopted by him and his people, developing relationships that ultimately forge Will’s character. All the while, his love of Claire, the enigmatic and captivating charge of volatile and powerful Featherstone, will forever rule Will’s heart. In a voice filled with both humor and yearning, Will tells of a lifelong search for home, the hunger for fortune and adventure, the rebuilding of a trampled culture, and above all an enduring pursuit of passion.

Oooh, that one sounds really good! I'm going to have to get that soon.

~Amy

adamt
01-09-2013, 01:36 PM
every winter we read the girls some little house on the prairie books, right now we are reading farmer boy, the story of almanzos childhood, we read a chapter every night after suppertime

i personally try to read the narnia series every winter but i don't know that i could get it done this year

any one read the lotr books, or tolkeins other works? are you supposed to read hobbit first?

rearnakedchoke
01-09-2013, 02:55 PM
every winter we read the girls some little house on the prairie books, right now we are reading farmer boy, the story of almanzos childhood, we read a chapter every night after suppertime

i personally try to read the narnia series every winter but i don't know that i could get it done this year

any one read the lotr books, or tolkeins other works? are you supposed to read hobbit first?

i think i'd read the hobbit first .. then the trilogy ... i always read things or watch things outta order and then wish i'd done it in order .. except star wars ...

adamt
01-09-2013, 03:57 PM
i think i'd read the hobbit first .. then the trilogy ... i always read things or watch things outta order and then wish i'd done it in order .. except star wars ...

ever read any of the other tolkein works

flo
01-09-2013, 09:09 PM

Those are among my all-time favorite books, Adam. I totally agree with RNC, start with The Hobbit and if they enjoy it (they will!!!) you can go on with the trilogy. They are wonderful, timeless books. I've read them many times over.

I have The Silmarillion but could never get into it.

Play The Man
01-17-2013, 04:31 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51n9sMOiORL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-62,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YXTyS5P8L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-77,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Play The Man
01-17-2013, 08:18 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41q49koBntL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-67,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

adamt
01-17-2013, 02:49 PM
currently reading the Hobbit and loving it!!

rearnakedchoke
01-17-2013, 03:06 PM
ever read any of the other tolkein works

just saw this now ... yes, i like tolkien's books ... if you like lewis, like you said you have, then you will like tolkien (as i see below!)

Play The Man
01-22-2013, 09:05 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51anL%2BVXw1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-52,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HHPtlr2PL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-49,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

flo
02-08-2013, 05:02 AM

Did you like this, Neez? I haven't read Cold Mountain yet.

Neezar
02-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Did you like this, Neez? I haven't read Cold Mountain yet.

:scared0011:

Flo! You gotta read Cold Mountain. And yes. I loved this book. I read the first three chapters twice. He mentions some of this old Indians beliefs and I found them interesting. Some of the beliefs that he mentions where shared by my great-grandmother. She was an American Indian named White Lily.

ex. She believed that someone taking your picture would suck out some of your soul.

She believed in telling stories to kids, not reading them. (He expounds more on that in the book.)

flo
02-08-2013, 05:35 PM
:scared0011:

Flo! You gotta read Cold Mountain. And yes. I loved this book. I read the first three chapters twice. He mentions some of this old Indians beliefs and I found them interesting. Some of the beliefs that he mentions where shared by my great-grandmother. She was an American Indian named White Lily.

ex. She believed that someone taking your picture would suck out some of your soul.

She believed in telling stories to kids, not reading them. (He expounds more on that in the book.)

Sounds good, I'll request both of them!! Thanks for the recommendation.