PDA

View Full Version : Why no Sub of the Night at 96???

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Based on the telecast it appeared that Madigan tapped out due to strikes. I believe that Rogan even pointed it out in the replay. This is technically a submission, right? So why wasn't Tamden awarded Sub of the night?

Champ2be
03-10-2009, 03:50 PM
When they mean submission they are referring to BJJ. What you are refering to is more of a TKO

rockdawg21
03-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Tapping to strikes isn't a submission. Tapping due to chocke, arm locks, leg locks, etc. are submissions.

TheConcretekid
03-10-2009, 04:16 PM
I thought I remembered seeing cases where someone tapped (or verbally submitted) to strikes and it was ruled a submission. And if the ref steps in, then its ruled a TKO.

IMO, if you give up (be it verbally or by taps) it should be ruled a submission. The ref is declaring that you are OK to continue fighting (he hasn't stepped in) and you are giving up, you are submitting to your opponent.

Hughes_GOAT
03-10-2009, 04:28 PM
because Maia wasn't fighting

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 05:19 PM
rockdawg21 Tapping to strikes isn't a submission. Tapping due to chocke, arm locks, leg locks, etc. are submissions.
Today 11:50 AM
Champ2be When they mean submission they are referring to BJJ. What you are refering to is more of a TKO

I think if someone "Submits" by tapping it should be ruled a submission and therefore eligible for submission of the night.

It's still submitting because you're in a situation you cannot get out of.

County Mike
03-10-2009, 05:36 PM
No love for the barncat. I hope McRory does really well in the UFC. He's another East Coaster that used to fight in the CFFC here in Atlantic City.

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 05:43 PM
No love for the barncat. I hope McRory does really well in the UFC. He's another East Coaster that used to fight in the CFFC here in Atlantic City.

Do you agree it should have been sub of the night based on the fact that Madigan tapped?

What did they rule Serra GSP 1? he tapped to strikes, right?

TheConcretekid
03-10-2009, 06:40 PM

That was ruled a TKO, erroneously in my opinion

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 06:48 PM
That was ruled a TKO, erroneously in my opinion

Hmmm
I know I've seen the term "submitted (strikes)"
I'll have to look at how Pride used to rule things.

Sherdog shows
Fedor defeating Zulu via submission (strikes)
Mirko defeating Barnett subission (strikes)
I knew I'd seen it somewhere

rearnakedchoke
03-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Do you agree it should have been sub of the night based on the fact that Madigan tapped?

It depends how the ref scores it, in this case, the ref stopped it as Madigan was tapping, so it in theory should be a submission due to strikes and IMO be eligible for SOTN .. as for the GSP thing, yes he tapped, but BJM had stepped in to stop the fight, GSP turned to turtle and tapped, so in theory it was stopped by the ref due to strikes just before the tap ... so when BJM went to score it, he called it a TKO ..

Look at the Jeremy Stephens/Din Thomas fight, that is scored a Submission Armbar (i think), but Stephens didn't tap, it was stopped whent he armbar was sunk in ..

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 09:26 PM
It depends how the ref scores it, in this case, the ref stopped it as Madigan was tapping, so it in theory should be a submission due to strikes and IMO be eligible for SOTN .. as for the GSP thing, yes he tapped, but BJM had stepped in to stop the fight, GSP turned to turtle and tapped, so in theory it was stopped by the ref due to strikes just before the tap ... so when BJM went to score it, he called it a TKO ..

Look at the Jeremy Stephens/Din Thomas fight, that is scored a Submission Armbar (i think), but Stephens didn't tap, it was stopped whent he armbar was sunk in ..

Good example of maybe there should be a TTO Technical Tap Out, for when guys don't tap...
I just think this is an interesting topic.

rearnakedchoke
03-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Good example of maybe there should be a TTO Technical Tap Out, for when guys don't tap...
I just think this is an interesting topic.
Well, I think there is a technical submission category .... i think when the gracies got kimura'd by saku and didn't tap, or when big tim got his arm broke by mur, they didn't tap, but the fight was stopped .... so i guess it is how the ref scores it at the time

rockdawg21
03-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Hmmm
I know I've seen the term "submitted (strikes)"
I'll have to look at how Pride used to rule things.

Sherdog shows
Fedor defeating Zulu via submission (strikes)
Mirko defeating Barnett subission (strikes)
I knew I'd seen it somewhere
We don't count Sherdog as an authority on this message board. :laugh: