PDA

View Full Version : April 29, 1992

Buzzard
04-29-2011, 09:04 PM
There was a riot in the streets tell me where were you.

Sublime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa_223q5aXY) Some explicit language...warning.

I was living in Torrance Ca. at the time working at LAX. I remember whenever I would go out onto the AoA seeing new fires sprouting up in the distance. I took off work early one of the days when there were reports of looting within 1 or 2 miles of my house. Slept with my gun that week and was ready to protect our neighborhood. Hard to believe it was 19 years ago.

Miss Foxy
04-29-2011, 09:12 PM

Sublime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa_223q5aXY) Some explicit language...warning.

I was living in Torrance Ca. at the time working at LAX. I remember whenever I would go out onto the AoA seeing new fires sprouting up in the distance. I took off work early one of the days when there were reports of looting within 1 or 2 miles of my house. Slept with my gun that week and was ready to protect our neighborhood. Hard to believe it was 19 years ago.

Buzz isn't it funny it says April 26th 1992, but yet it's named April 29th, 1992... I was in 7th grade...Playing handbells and listening to Janet Jackson probably!

Buzzard
04-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Buzz isn't it funny it says April 26th 1992, but yet it's named April 29th, 1992... I was in 7th grade...Playing handbells and listening to Janet Jackson probably!

Yep. Read where Brad made the mistake when recording and they left it in.

That was a crazy time out there. Even with all of the craziness and stuff that is SoCal, I sure do miss it at times.

BamaGrits84
04-29-2011, 09:27 PM
I was 6 then.

flo
04-29-2011, 10:38 PM
I was home watching all the looting and saw those murderous thugs drag Reginald Denny out of his truck and stomp on his head, throw a piece of concrete at his head, trying to kill him. Then they dragged him back out of his truck and did it again.

It's extremely difficult to find footage of it. There are LOTS of videos of the Rodney King beating. I wonder, why the disparity?

Oh yeah, 'cause he's a white guy. Ditto the latest beatdown at McDonald's. The only reason the MSM picked up on it is because it turns out it was a transgender victim - one worth reporting about, apparently.

NateR
04-29-2011, 11:30 PM
I was stationed in Germany at the time and we watched the news coverage on AFN (Armed Forces Network). Even the black soldiers that I was serving with were marveling at the stupidity of the rioters. It had nothing to do with equality, they just wanted an excuse to break the law.

In other words, they didn't want equal rights, they wanted the right to violate everyone else's rights.

Play The Man
04-29-2011, 11:38 PM
A hotel in Hackettstown, New Jersey.:sad:

Play The Man
04-29-2011, 11:47 PM

Your scenario is one of the main reasons I oppose any "waiting periods" for gun purchases. I am fine with an instant background check; however, imagine if you had not owned a gun and tried to buy one after the riots started - only to find out you had to wait several days due to a "waiting period". I just went through the process a couple months ago when I won a handgun in a sweepstakes and it took me 3 weeks of waiting and paperwork before I had the gun in my hands.

Chris F
04-30-2011, 12:16 AM
I lived in Cali then. I was doing something I shouldn't have been doing that all I can say about that. I remember this pretty well.

TexasRN
04-30-2011, 12:21 AM
I was in high school and so wrapped up in myself that the rest of the country/world didn't matter.

~Amy

VCURamFan
04-30-2011, 01:34 AM
I was 6 years old . . .

Play The Man
04-30-2011, 01:47 AM
It's extremely difficult to find footage of it. There are LOTS of videos of the Rodney King beating. I wonder, why the disparity?

There is this video of the riots with MMA referee Big John McCarthy, then a police officer.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yafe9YBLv8

Rev
04-30-2011, 01:59 AM
I was 12 yrs old in Chenney Washington. I remember watching this on TV and my parents got worried because Seattle started getting rough also and we had some friends over there.

flo
04-30-2011, 01:59 AM
There is this video of the riots with MMA referee Big John McCarthy, then a police officer.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yafe9YBLv8

Nice find, PTM. Brings it all back.

Tyburn
04-30-2011, 12:56 PM
My records only go back to 1996...and my memory in a constructed capacity only goes back to 1993...however, I can make an educated guess.

it was about two weeks after easter, so it would have been the middle of the first week back at junior school for me. I was in Mr Douglass class at Manor Lease...I cant really say for certain anymore then that...I was only about 11 years old :ashamed:

County Mike
04-30-2011, 01:22 PM
I was fresh out of college and watching this mess on TV, then we had copy cat riots in the next town over. Ridiculous.

"A man was beaten unfairly so I'm stealing a TV" seemed to be the general mindset.

F34R
04-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Jr. in High School. We had a soccer game that day as well. I was 17.

flo
04-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Note to self: scrap plans for new thread "Where were you when JFK was shot"...

TexasRN
04-30-2011, 06:06 PM

Who is JFK? :mellow:

:wink::laugh:

~Amy

Bonnie
04-30-2011, 08:47 PM
I was fresh out of college and watching this mess on TV, then we had copy cat riots in the next town over. Ridiculous.

"A man was beaten unfairly so I'm stealing a TV" seemed to be the general mindset.

I thought that was pretty stupid. Go burn down the neighborhoods of the people you're mad at, not your own! :duh:

:rolleyes:

flo
04-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Who is JFK? :mellow:

:wink::laugh:

~Amy

:fryingpan:

:laugh:

TexasRN
04-30-2011, 11:54 PM
:fryingpan:

When I was 5 I stumbled upon a plaster bust of JFK in a house we had just moved into and I became obsessed with it. I was such a weird kid. :wacko:

~Amy

matthughesfan21
05-01-2011, 05:46 AM
well I was just about to turn 2, so probably playing with my michael jordan basketball hoop :)

atomdanger
05-01-2011, 06:15 AM
1992? I was like 8.

Primadawn
05-02-2011, 04:35 PM
I was in college. I remember sitting in the student center having lunch and everyone was watching the coverage. Then comments started being made back and forth between white and black groups in there...I decided it was time to get out of there!

Neezar
05-02-2011, 05:02 PM

I feel so old.

Miss Foxy
05-02-2011, 05:12 PM
I was in college. I remember sitting in the student center having lunch and everyone was watching the coverage. Then comments started being made back and forth between white and black groups in there...I decided it was time to get out of there!

Awkward moment #101!! :w00t:

Primadawn
05-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Awkward moment #101!! :w00t:

Yeah no kidding! lol. And the school I went to really had never had problems between students of a racial nature. It was small and everyone knew each other on a personal level, so there was really never any "us" and "you" mentality up to that point.
It was sad and scary to see how instantly polarizing skin color could become.