PDA

View Full Version : To my special friend Gordon, 25 DVDs: Obama gives Brown a set of classic movies.

NateR
03-10-2009, 04:32 AM
Can someone say "cheapskate?" :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1159627/To-special-friend-Gordon-25-DVDs-Obama-gives-Brown-set-classic-movies-Lets-hope-likes-Wizard-Oz.html

In summary, the British Prime Minister visited the US and, aside from getting snubbed by the media, he presented President Obama with an ornamental pen holder made from the timbers of the Victorian anti-slave ship HMS Gannet. A very unique and well thought out gift and what did Obama give to the Prime Minister in return? 25 DVDs including the following titles:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/06/article-1159627-03C31624000005DC-108_468x313.jpg

Hmmm, seems a little cheap and thoughtless to me. Overall, a pretty crappy way to treat our greatest ally in the world. If Obama is this inept in dealing with our allies, then how's he supposed to make friends out of our enemies?

Glenn Beck described it pretty well, this is a portion of a transcript from his show:
He gave a gift of a bunch of videos. Well, okay. That's usually not what the President gives. Usually it is a gift to the head of state is something of significance, something of real importance, something that signifies how deep our friendship goes and also says something about our country and our resources and, you know, our heritage. To me it's appropriate that Barack Obama, when he looks to what could be a statement gift that I can give the leader of our greatest ally, what is something that says everything you need to know about America, he goes and gets a bunch of DVDs from movies that we've made. I mean, it's... and he didn't even get the movies that they can watch over in England. It's not the same technology. So all of the movies that Gordon Brown was given as a gift from our president he can't even watch.
For the full transcript: http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/22474/

Another article about this story from the UK:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23657981-details/Obama%27s+blockbuster+gift+for+Brown:+25+classic+f ilms/article.do

Moose
03-10-2009, 04:37 AM
Looks like the top 25 movies of all time.

If he wanted to be really cheap, he could've just sent an autographed copy of one of his books.

NateR
03-10-2009, 04:49 AM
Looks like the top 25 movies of all time.

If he wanted to be really cheap, he could've just sent an autographed copy of one of his books.

It's not. Because Titanic is still the number one movie of all time and it's not on that list. Also American DVDs won't play over in England. So, unless they imported a bunch of British DVDs just to present to the Prime Minister, then the gift is useless in a practical sense and that only leaves the thought behind it. Clearly there wasn't any thought behind this gift, especially in comparison to what Brown presented to Obama.

rockdawg21
03-10-2009, 04:56 AM
How lame. You'd think somebody would have pointed out that we use Region 1 DVD's while he uses Region 2 DVD's. Perhaps Obama should provide him with a Region 1 DVD player to go along with the gift as well. He could simply add it as part of the bailout.

bradwright
03-10-2009, 05:07 AM
first you guys are complaining Obama is spending to much and now your saying he isn't spending enough,:unsure-1:
make up your minds,which one is it?:ninja:

huan
03-10-2009, 05:07 AM
but guys, Obama is the most technologically advanced POTUS ever.

o wait...

NateR
03-10-2009, 05:13 AM
first you guys are complaining Obama is spending to much and now your saying he isn't spending enough,:unsure-1:
make up your minds,which one is it?:ninja:

Well, it's not the money, it's the thought that counts and clearly there was no thought. There's no evidence that Prime Minister Brown is a movie buff. Also, 25 DVDs would run about $500 with current prices. They could have put that towards something a little more appropriate for our greatest ally. British soldiers are dying right alongside Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan, this gift combined with the lack of press coverage for the PM's visit, is a slap in the face to Britain.

Chuck
03-10-2009, 05:16 AM
I think it's pretty well known that I don't like Hussein even a little bit but even I think jumping on this is a bit petty.

We don't have the slightest idea if the DVD's were Region 1 or 2 so no need to exaggerate a mistake that might not have been made in the first place.

And we can't assume that ol' Hussein was going store to store in the local mall looking for that little something special. Some aid to Hussein spoke to some aid of Gordon and they exchanged some sort of info..

Hell if my screwed up family (the in-laws) can drop little hints about what they want for gifts them I'm sure 2 world leaders exchanged some sort of info...

My .02 worth.............

NateR
03-10-2009, 05:21 AM
Well, there is more to the snub than the DVDs, there was also a statement made on how the Obama Administration doesn't consider Britain to be any more important than the other nations in the UN. :blink: Again, for a nation that has fought and died alongside us over the last 7 years, that's a terrible slap in the face.

I'm also interested to see Dave's take on this.

bradwright
03-10-2009, 05:22 AM
Well, it's not the money, it's the thought that counts and clearly there was no thought. There's no evidence that Prime Minister Brown is a movie buff. Also, 25 DVDs would run about $500 with current prices. They could have put that towards something a little more appropriate for our greatest ally. British soldiers are dying right alongside Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan, this gift combined with the lack of press coverage for the PM's visit, is a slap in the face to Britain.
relax Nate,you will give yourself a heart attack,besides i was just kidding around a bit.

Moose
03-10-2009, 05:26 AM
It's not. Because Titanic is still the number one movie of all time and it's not on that list.

Not dollar wise, critic's choice wise.

rockdawg21
03-10-2009, 05:33 AM
Deadline Hollywood made a great point.

Gordon Brown had priceless gifts to give Obama and his children, and he got a cheap DVD set and cheap marine one helicopters for his kids in return. Gordon Brown also has vision problems, with massive vision loss in one eye. Our President insulted our oldest ally because Obama’s aides say he is “overwhelmed”. Executive experience might have helped before seeking the toughest job in the world. Thanks for already pissing off our greatest ally in the world. A pen made from Britain’s anti-slave ship vs. a DVD set of movies. Epic fail! I thought Obama was supposed to be smart. I miss W. He at least had class. Obama is just an incompetent boob.

This just goes to show what many of us already know - Obama needs more experience before becoming POTUS.

rockdawg21
03-10-2009, 05:38 AM
BTW, Obama's a regifter. I actually sent that box of DVDs to him 2 weeks ago.

bradwright
03-10-2009, 05:50 AM
BTW, Obama's a regifter. I actually sent that box of DVDs to him 2 weeks ago.
so really your the one to blame then,
Obama probably thought,if this is a good enough present for the RULER of the free world then it should certainly be good enough for the guy that looks after that waste land Dave lives in,:ninja:

rockdawg21
03-10-2009, 06:10 AM
so really your the one to blame then,
Obama probably thought,if this is a good enough present for the RULER of the free world then it should certainly be good enough for the guy that looks after that waste land Dave lives in,:ninja:
Just you wait. When Stephen Harper comes here, we're going to give him a box of DVD cases! That's my next gift to Obama, so you can be sure that's what he will regift to PM Harper, hahaha!!!!!!

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Looks like a pretty good gift to me. We don't know whether or not they were special copies or anything. Perhaps the Prime Minister is a huge fan of American cinema. I think that with the state of our economy the fact that he gave him something that repepresents a strength of our country (our cinema), and represents consumerism is a decent gift for the time.
And as far as the player goes: if the leader of Great Britain can't play an american DVD then there are bigger problems. I'm sure our President could watch a region 2 DVD if he needed to.

billwilliams70
03-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Not dollar wise, critic's choice wise.
Beat me to it.

Later.

Neezar
03-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Looks like a pretty good gift to me. We don't know whether or not they were special copies or anything. Perhaps the Prime Minister is a huge fan of American cinema. I think that with the state of our economy the fact that he gave him something that repepresents a strength of our country (our cinema), and represents consumerism is a decent gift for the time.
And as far as the player goes: if the leader of Great Britain can't play an american DVD then there are bigger problems. I'm sure our President could watch a region 2 DVD if he needed to.

Would if matter if they were special copies if the man is going blind and can't watch them? :unsure-1:

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Would if matter if they were special copies if the man is going blind and can't watch them? :unsure-1:

A lot of visually impaired people enjoy the cinematic experience. They are making lots of strides in Audio technology these day;)

Plus before you go blind why not capture the best films of all time in your memory:)
And Nate I refuse to acknowledge TITANIC as the greatest! how dare you. I'm completely ignoring it's accomplishments, I know, but I hated that movie!!!!!

Neezar
03-10-2009, 01:40 PM
A lot of visually impaired people enjoy the cinematic experience. They are making lots of strides in Audio technology these day;)

Plus before you go blind why not capture the best films of all time in your memory:)

Name one! :ninja:

:laugh:

Listen, if you have a man who is going blind and you buy him movies then unless the man has requested them I think it is in very poor taste. Most people who have devastating medical issues where a loss is occuring like that have a hard time dealing with it or at the very least are a bit sensitive about it.

We had a friend who lost a leg in a wreck. That would be like us buying him a bicycle and saying, "You need to learn how to ride that bike with one leg and enjoy it while you still can!"

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Name one! :ninja:

Listen, if you have a man who is going blind and you buy him movies then unless the man has requested them I think it is in very poor taste. Most people who have devastating medical issues where a loss is occuring like that have a hard time dealing with it or at the very least are a bit sensitive about it.

We had a friend who lost a leg in a wreck. That would be like us buying him a bicycle and saying, "You need to learn how to ride that bike with one leg and enjoy it while you still can!"

Come one now, that's not the same...:rolleyes:

A friend growing up whowas blind since birth used to go to the movies and always loved talking about films. He came to 'see" me in plays in high school and stuff too.

I get your point, I missd the part about the partial blindness.

So it wasn't a great gift, big freaking deal. Maybe they had some sort of deal like: "You commit 10,000 troops to afganistan and you get the classic DVD series. Commit 50, 000 and you get a pen of historical value to your history".

;)

Jonlion
03-10-2009, 01:58 PM

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

rockdawg21
03-10-2009, 02:08 PM
I don't even see how anybody could think that gift is appropriate. They're our allies in a war on terror. The PM gave the Obama family something to commemorate their achievement of being the first black Presidential family, and what'd they give him in return, some DVD's and some helicopter toys. Where's the thought and compassion in that? Then when his people were questioned about the crummy gift, they stated he was busy. Right now, the Brits are incredibly upset and irked by Obama's thoughtlessness. NateR said it best:
From a British blogger:
Gordon Brown's trip to visit Barack Obama was of no great significance, but what has got the UK media talking is the disparity between the thought and imagination put into Gordon Brown's gifts to Barack Obama and his family, and what Obama gave in return.

Gifts from Gordon Brown to Barack Obama:
- an ornamental desk pen holder made from the oak timbers of Victorian anti-slavery Naval vessel HMS Gannet;
- framed commission for HMS Resolute, a vessel that came to symbolise Anglo-US peace when it was saved from ice packs by Americans;
- first edition set of the seven-volume classic biography of Churchill by Sir Martin Gilbert.

Barack Obama's gift to Gordon Brown:

- A 25 DVD set of classic American films including ET, Psycho and Lawrence of Arabia (barely American at all of course). The Daily Mail has the whole list.

Gifts to Malia and Sasha Obama:

- a TopShop dress for each of the daughters and matching necklace;
- Six books by British childrens' authors as yet unpublished in the USA;

Gifts to Fraser and John Brown:

- Two models of the Presidential helicopter Marine One, apparently identical to ones available on Amazon.com at US$15 each.

As Iain Martin in the Daily Telegraph says "Oh, give me strength. We do have television and DVD stores on this side of the Atlantic. Even Gordon Brown will have seen those films too often already." Anyone could have compiled that gift given half an hour on Amazon.com or in a major music/DVD shop.

One suggestion is that the DVDs may even be for Region 1 NTSC format for the US, not playable on a standard DVD player in the UK, I wouldn't be surprised.

On the gift to the Browns' children, the Times suggests it was a last minute purchase "having an aide pop to the White House gift shop for a piece of merchandising does not imply a great deal of thought" and more telling that the one official photo showing Sarah Brown and Michelle Obama meeting is hardly flattering, and may indicate how frosty the exchange was.

Of course if Bush had done it, we'd (rightfully) never hear the end of it (such as when Bush gave Brown a jacket)

It's a minor gaffe, but one helluva insult to the United Kingdom and Gordon Brown. Maybe it's because the new US Administration has aides who are thoughtless and unimaginative, but for Obama to accept a series of thoughtful generous gifts from the UK taxpayer and to give something as common and meaningless as a DVD pack is in astonishingly bad taste.

Gordon's thought, "I'm going to give Obama something to commemorate the historic event of the first black family to live in the White House!"

Obama's thought, "I'm going to give Gordon something to commemorate his loss of vision, oh, and he has kids, let's get them some helicopter toys."

Chuck
03-10-2009, 02:43 PM
I don't even see how anybody could think that gift is appropriate. They're our allies in a war on terror. The PM gave the Obama family something to commemorate their achievement of being the first black Presidential family, and what'd they give him in return, some DVD's and some helicopter toys. Where's the thought and compassion in that? Then when his people were questioned about the crummy gift, they stated he was busy. Right now, the Brits are incredibly upset and irked by Obama's thoughtlessness. NateR said it best:

From a British blogger:

Gordon's thought, "I'm going to give Obama something to commemorate the historic event of the first black family to live in the White House!"

Obama's thought, "I'm going to give Gordon something to commemorate his loss of vision, oh, and he has kids, let's get them some helicopter toys."

I think after reading this thread again this morning I missed the symbolic nature of two world leaders exchanging gifts. :huh:

Yesterday when I skimmed this thread it seemed like people were being pretty petty and jumping on Hussein for no reason... stupid gift, possibly the wrong region... = whatever.....

But after reading some more posts in here and mostly that British blogger I see it differently.

It's really kind of embarrassing for the U.S.A when you think about it... :ashamed:

Neezar
03-10-2009, 02:45 PM
It's really kind of embarrassing for the U.S.A when you think about it... :ashamed:

Yes, it is. :angry: And it pisses me off. I don't want to feel I owe anything to any Brit!

Dave or Jon, get us Mr. Brown's address. We shall send him a proper US gift. :cool:

Neezar
03-10-2009, 02:46 PM
I am embarrassed for Obama and his family. I hope someone got fired for that!

Chuck
03-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Dave or Jon, get us Mr. Brown's address. We shall send him a proper US gift. :cool:

Like CROCS!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Like CROCS!!!!!!!! :laugh:

The gift that keeps on giving!

Obama actually gave the British people their favorite thing in the world:
Scandal!!!!!

Jonlion
03-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Yes, it is. :angry: And it pisses me off. I don't want to feel I owe anything to any Brit!

10 Downing Street! I can hand deliver it, next week when my girlfriend and her friend come over from america as i'll be taking them past there!

I mean to clear it up from my end, its not a huge thing here, we are not irrepairably hurt or insulted, its just a slap in the face really.

For us, Britain has taken a lot of flak from the rest of the world for having you as our allies. I wouldn't change that for the world because i want you as our alllies and it is only lefites and jealous europeans that chastise us for beign allies but considering how we have shown mutaul solidarity and per ratio, Britain is only behind USA for troops stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan then you would expect a more thoughtful gift.

I mean, We went all out for our one, and 25 DVD's well, as Nate says, its not the expense its the lack of thought. It does seem rushed.

I am not a huge fan of Gordon Brown but i feel for him at times and this further undermines his posistion, on a domestic front he desperatly needs America to take to him as much as they did to Blair.

bradwright
03-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Just you wait. When Stephen Harper comes here, we're going to give him a box of DVD cases! That's my next gift to Obama, so you can be sure that's what he will regift to PM Harper, hahaha!!!!!!
you know what?
Most Americans couldn't find Canada on a map let a lone tell you who the PM is,,(and yes Neezar if the shoe fits)so i am very impressed,

now as far as the gift Obama will bestow upon Harper if he ever actually gets an invitation to meet with him?

well lets just say he would have a hard time getting under the one that was given to him when he visited us here a couple of weeks ago,

you see when Obama was on his way out of town he stopped off at a market to buy some cookies,
and when he tried to purchase the cookies with a Canadian 20 dollar bill the shop owner said,
oh no Mr. President, i can not accept that,we just dont take that funny money here,sorry,
do you have any American money on you though?
although these were very prestigious cookies(shaped like a maple leaf as i recall)Obama just stood there with a look of disbelief,after a few awkward moments went by the shop owner realized the President wasn't ever going to part with any of his American money so he finally said,never mind,the cookies are on me,just make sure you give them to your daughters,

so you see,it will be very hard to top that,(or bottom that,how ever you want to look at it)
but good luck just the same.:)

Neezar
03-10-2009, 05:32 PM
I thought Canada had a king. :unsure-1:

Chuck
03-10-2009, 05:34 PM

I thought it was a state! :D

County Mike
03-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Isn't Dudley Do Right the leader of Canadia?

bradwright
03-10-2009, 05:45 PM
we wish,

bradwright
03-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I thought it was a state! :D
you wish,

bradwright
03-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Isn't Dudley Do Right the leader of Canadia?
he wishes,

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 06:00 PM

We had a King...

:cry: ELVIS!!!!!!!

bradwright
03-10-2009, 06:01 PM
We had a King...

:cry: ELVIS!!!!!!!

dont cry,i'm pretty sure he's still wandering around somewhere.:ninja:

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 06:02 PM
dont cry,i'm pretty sure he's still wandering around somewhere.:ninja:

probably Canada...:ninja:

bradwright
03-10-2009, 07:01 PM
probably Canada...:ninja:
sorry it took me so long to get back to you but i just went out and had a quick look around,:frantics:
and nope,i didn't see him anywhere,sorry,:sad:

County Mike
03-10-2009, 07:09 PM
You sure he wasn't hiding in someone else's igloo?

bradwright
03-10-2009, 07:17 PM
You sure he wasn't hiding in someone else's igloo?
you might be on to something there,,
but i may have to wait until tomorrow to do the igloo to igloo search though,
my dog sled team is a little tired right now,

NateR
03-10-2009, 07:25 PM
10 Downing Street! I can hand deliver it, next week when my girlfriend and her friend come over from america as i'll be taking them past there!

I mean to clear it up from my end, its not a huge thing here, we are not irrepairably hurt or insulted, its just a slap in the face really.

For us, Britain has taken a lot of flak from the rest of the world for having you as our allies. I wouldn't change that for the world because i want you as our alllies and it is only lefites and jealous europeans that chastise us for beign allies but considering how we have shown mutaul solidarity and per ratio, Britain is only behind USA for troops stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan then you would expect a more thoughtful gift.

I mean, We went all out for our one, and 25 DVD's well, as Nate says, its not the expense its the lack of thought. It does seem rushed.

I am not a huge fan of Gordon Brown but i feel for him at times and this further undermines his posistion, on a domestic front he desperatly needs America to take to him as much as they did to Blair.

In the grand scheme of things, this "DVD-gate" is not a huge deal. However, it doesn't bode well for the future of the Obama Administration's foreign policy. Seriously, if they are this clueless when it comes to dealing with our greatest ally, then how in the world do they expect to be able to handle all of these countries that hate us without making things much worse?

Jonlion
03-10-2009, 09:49 PM
In the grand scheme of things, this "DVD-gate" is not a huge deal. However, it doesn't bode well for the future of the Obama Administration's foreign policy. Seriously, if they are this clueless when it comes to dealing with our greatest ally, then how in the world do they expect to be able to handle all of these countries that hate us without making things much worse?

Agreed, things between us can easily be smoothed over and forgotten but there are much more senstive diplomatic meetings that will take place and Obama needs to do a better job.

I guess this does highlight where experiance comes into play in such matters.

rockdawg21
03-10-2009, 10:48 PM
you know what?
Most Americans couldn't find Canada on a map let a lone tell you who the PM is,,(and yes Neezar if the shoe fits)so i am very impressed,

now as far as the gift Obama will bestow upon Harper if he ever actually gets an invitation to meet with him?

well lets just say he would have a hard time getting under the one that was given to him when he visited us here a couple of weeks ago,

you see when Obama was on his way out of town he stopped off at a market to buy some cookies,
and when he tried to purchase the cookies with a Canadian 20 dollar bill the shop owner said,
oh no Mr. President, i can not accept that,we just dont take that funny money here,sorry,
do you have any American money on you though?
although these were very prestigious cookies(shaped like a maple leaf as i recall)Obama just stood there with a look of disbelief,after a few awkward moments went by the shop owner realized the President wasn't ever going to part with any of his American money so he finally said,never mind,the cookies are on me,just make sure you give them to your daughters,

so you see,it will be very hard to top that,(or bottom that,how ever you want to look at it)
but good luck just the same.:)
Well the American Press doesn't cover anything regarding Canada so most Americans just don't know about your PM. The only PM we all know is Trudeau.

As for Obama's gift to Harper, it will be that box of cookies and the Canadian $20 bill.

bradwright
03-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Well the American Press doesn't cover anything regarding Canada so most Americans just don't know about your PM. The only PM we all know is Trudeau.

As for Obama's gift to Harper, it will be that box of cookies and the Canadian $20 bill.
tell him he can keep that funny money,,
but i'm sure Harper would love to get those cookies back!

rockdawg21
03-10-2009, 10:59 PM
tell him he can keep that funny money,,
but i'm sure Harper would love to get those cookies back!
So, a thoughtful gift would be a U.S. $20 bill? If so, I'll e-mail it to Obama so this time, his gift will be thoughtful.

bradwright
03-10-2009, 11:03 PM
So, a thoughtful gift would be a U.S. $20 bill? If so, I'll e-mail it to Obama so this time, his gift will be thoughtful.
20 bucks?thats it?
man,,Obama really is cheap,(or is it you):ninja:

rockdawg21
03-10-2009, 11:07 PM
20 bucks?thats it?
man,,Obama really is cheap,(or is it you):ninja:
Call it cheap all you want. I call it appropriate due to the economic circumstances. :tongue0011:

Tyburn
03-12-2009, 01:41 AM
Can someone say "cheapskate?" :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1159627/To-special-friend-Gordon-25-DVDs-Obama-gives-Brown-set-classic-movies-Lets-hope-likes-Wizard-Oz.html

In summary, the British Prime Minister visited the US and, aside from getting snubbed by the media, he presented President Obama with an ornamental pen holder made from the timbers of the Victorian anti-slave ship HMS Gannet. A very unique and well thought out gift and what did Obama give to the Prime Minister in return? 25 DVDs including the following titles:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/06/article-1159627-03C31624000005DC-108_468x313.jpg

Hmmm, seems a little cheap and thoughtless to me. Overall, a pretty crappy way to treat our greatest ally in the world. If Obama is this inept in dealing with our allies, then how's he supposed to make friends out of our enemies?

Glenn Beck described it pretty well, this is a portion of a transcript from his show:

For the full transcript: http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/22474/

Another article about this story from the UK:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23657981-details/Obama%27s+blockbuster+gift+for+Brown:+25+classic+f ilms/article.do
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gordon the Goffer

I hope Obama made sure they were able to play in the UK...what would have happened if Mr and Mrs Brown sat down for an American western to find it wouldnt play on the European machine :laugh:

There is a certain amount of distancing going on from both sides Nathan that might be deliberate. Gordon Brown keeps ping-ponging to the public...he wants to show he's not Tony Blair and not just an American Ambassidor...but he also wants to try and hold onto the magic of Obama to make himself look kewl as well, hopefully then he gets the votes at the next ellection.

Obama is doing similar. He's made it clear that there is a greater understanding between the two countries because America has slipt towards the Centrist...but he doesnt want to be George Bush...he doesnt want jam and scones with a cream tea on the White House Lawn whilst his dear Brit friend chirps away.

He wants to please everyone that means he has to loose a little of the friendship and show a little more respect. Moving from a personal relationship of two world leaders who are gone, to a more mature business like dealing. Does that make sense?