PDA

View Full Version : Morel mushrooms

Jeff Crow
04-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Sorry, I kinda of started this thread a little late in the season for most of us down here in central/southern Illinois but I was just wondering who all on here goes out hunting for them and where you live? I think most of them are done around here. We've still been finding a few fresh ones but not in big patches like usual. I think we actually got a little too much rain and it wasn't getting quite as warm as it needed afterwards. It's been a strange season though. We found a lot more blacks and peckerheads this year and some that look like a cross between a black/peckerhead and yellow/peckerhead.

Just wondering if anyone else has been finding them around here still?

It's getting quite popular these days and they will sell anywhere between $30-50 a pound around here.

Here's a pic of one I found yesterday. It was about a day or so old by the looks of it. It's next to a 20 oz soda bottle.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e191/crowbar29/Oconee-20110428-00962-Copy.jpg

Miss Foxy
04-29-2011, 07:21 PM
I have never seen those ugly things in my life...:scared0011: What are they used for?

Twinsmama
04-29-2011, 07:40 PM
I have never seen those ugly things in my life...:scared0011: What are they used for?

I'm just gonna keep my opinions to myself but i'm guessing it something that is not good:laugh:

(still laughing at the name:laugh::laugh::laugh:)

TexasRN
04-29-2011, 07:50 PM

:laugh: People eat them. They are considered quite the delicacy.

~Amy

Miss Foxy
04-29-2011, 07:53 PM
:laugh: People eat them. They are considered quite the delicacy.

~Amy

Wow.. Thanks.. I only like the regular mushrooms they sell in the market and ••••ake when I am eating Japanese.. Those things look gross I would love to sample one now..

Jeff Crow
05-03-2011, 03:43 PM

I'm just gonna keep my opinions to myself but i'm guessing it something that is not good:laugh:

(still laughing at the name:laugh::laugh::laugh:)

They are definately not what ya'll were thinking. :laugh: They are really good battered and fried. They are getting more popular with people too. It can be a pain in the butt going through the woods looking for them unless you own some land and have a few good spots where you find them. They tend to pop up in somewhat the same areas every year. They only come up for 3 or 4 weeks so the season is very short. Thats why they are such a delicacy like Amy said. I know around here people will pay 30-40 dollars a pound for them and even more up north. I was actually thinking about trying to contact The History channel and pitching the idea of having it as a show. They have everything else on there anymore. :laugh:

rockdawg21
05-03-2011, 03:49 PM
To satisfy the desire of those weird enough to possess a hunger for fungi. :sick:

Those things look gross I would love to sample one now..
:sign0094: See what I mean? :laugh:

Miss Foxy
05-03-2011, 04:45 PM
To satisfy the desire of those weird enough to possess a hunger for fungi. :sick:

:sign0094: See what I mean? :laugh:

:ashamed:

matthughesfan21
05-04-2011, 01:43 AM
All you non-midwestern people can diss them all you want...But don't knock it till you've tried it...They are freaking delicioius, WAYYYYYYYY better than normal mushrooms

rockdawg21
05-04-2011, 03:07 AM
All you non-midwestern people can diss them all you want...But don't knock it till you've tried it...They are freaking delicioius, WAYYYYYYYY better than normal mushrooms
I grew up in Missouri and anybody who wants to eat a fungus is, just, well...:yuck: :laugh:

Miss Foxy
05-04-2011, 04:48 PM

No one dissed em.