PDA

View Full Version : Randy Couture expects to be added to roster of next "UFC Undisputed" video game

VCURamFan
04-27-2011, 03:42 PM
From MMATorch.com:

The THQ-produced UFC Undisputed video game franchise has had one glaring absence on the game's fighter roster since it's debut back in 2009: UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture.

But that may be changing by the time the next iteration hits store shelves, as Couture says it's a likelihood that he'll be in the next version of the game.

Couture attempted to leave the company back in 2007 in an attempt to get a fight with Fedor Emelianenko after the organization failed to sign "The Last Emperor," and while he was embroiled in a legal battle with the UFC over his contract, he signed on with the EA Sports MMA game. That signing meant he wasn't able to be used in either of the UFC's initial "Undisputed" offerings, released in 2009 and 2010, respectively, and Couture instead appeared with Emelianenko on the cover of EA Sports MMA last year, as well as being featured heavily in the game as both a fighter and one of the in-game trainers in career mode.

Now, in comments made to ESPN.com, Couture has revealed that his contract for that game is up, and he's in talks with the UFC to be a part of the "Undisputed" franchise going forward.

"We've talked about me being in the video game this time around," Couture said. "Obviously, all that stuff with EA Sports happened in a transition period, before I came back [to the UFC.]

"That deal is over now and the [THQ] game is getting ready to come out with a new version. Obviously, they'd still like to include me, me being a guy in their Hall of Fame. It's certainly something we're looking at trying to work out and I think it will probably happen."

Couture faces Lyoto Machida this weekend at UFC 129 in what he says will be his last fight regardless of the outcome. Couture says that his often contentious relationship with Zuffa brass has been smoothed over, and he's ending his time in the organization on good terms.

"I think both Zuffa and myself have come to a much stronger relationship," Couture said. "We have a better understanding of each other and they've left me alone to do my thing while I still comply with rules and regulations they set forth for other fighters."

THQ is reportedly planning an early 2012 release for the next edition of UFC Undisputed, though no firm release date has been set.

Link to Original Source Article (http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/1576/addition-of-couture-to-ufc-undisputed-series-likely)

Penick's Analysis: I'm curious to see what happens next with EA Sports' game and the Undisputed franchise. The gameplay mechanics in the EA game were very good, but it didn't have the roster to sell really well and hook casual fans. On the flip side, there were a lot of fans that found the Undisputed games repetitive and lost interest despite the roster. With Zuffa purchasing Strikeforce, I don't know if EA will attempt to make a second game or not, and the UFC is locked in with THQ for a lengthy extension to their agreement. It would be interesting to see if there would be any possibility of EA and THQ working together for a mega-MMA game, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Still, getting Couture into the UFC game would be a good move, as he should be a part of that roster as one of the organization's Hall of Fame members.