SteveT
04-23-2011, 09:28 PM
So sorry Dave :(

REMY
04-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Do you know the reason?

flo
04-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Aww, I am sorry to hear that. You gave him a really good life.

{{Dave}}

Llamafighter
04-24-2011, 03:31 AM
Sorry buddy...

Bonnie
04-24-2011, 03:40 AM
:sad:

How's Bonnie taking it? :cry:

Silverback
04-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Sorry to hear that Dave.:sad::sad::sad:

Tyburn
04-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Do you know the reason?

Not Entirely. We think that he may have had some kinda internal damage done by the new batch of grit I gave the birds. He was the only one who took any interest in it...right afterwards he began to sleep for longer and longer periods...over the course of a week he stopped singing...and thats what alerted me to the problem, I debated a trip to the vets last week, but he showed no other symptoms, he still could fly, perch, keep his ballence, eat, drink, and no problems indicated by his droppings. But during Holy Week he went down hill very quickly. I knew the night before he died he would probably not make it to easter.

I had an emergency appointment with the vets ready for Saturday afternoon...but he died late the night before. I was holding him when he died

Tyburn
04-25-2011, 12:36 AM
:sad:

How's Bonnie taking it? :cry:

Not well...although not bad enough to be in danger of pineing away I dont think.

She is depressed, and during the dark evening (which is when Pettis died) she goes to the bottom of the cage and sits in the position she last saw him, before I removed him. Of course he died in my hands...so he never came back...I guess she is waiting to see him reappear where he dissapeared...she also goes back and forth peering out of the cage to see if he's on the other side :cry:

I think she would be in danger of dying herself...if not for the fact that Lil Finch is in the cage and so she isnt completely on her own. Lil Finch is oblivious...she's too young to notice the absence of her Father...being a Female she doesnt need him in her development now because she cant sing, so she hasnt got to learn that from Pettis. As far as Dane is concerned his Father is out of his mind...has been since he moved in with his Uncle in the other cage...I dont think Levon even remembers who Pettis was, they spent nearly a year together...but after that they've been in separate cages for months

Because Bonnie wont now mate with another finch...and as she is female, I cant keep her in with the boys...I shall have to send her to market along with her daughter in about a month or so...that will be quite hard...but I wont have Bonnie alone...I think that probably would kill her right now. She needs a new start along way away from anything Pettis related

Then, of course I shall have a spare cage and be able to buy a completely different veriety of bird :)

Tyburn
04-25-2011, 12:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEsqB7j0XIE

here is the memorial video for Pettis :unsure-1:

J.B.
04-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Sorry bro, that always sucks.

It's crazy how birds are, they can die of a broken heart just like ol' Johnny Cash did...:ashamed:

Twinsmama
04-25-2011, 02:02 PM
sorry dave.

Primadawn
04-25-2011, 03:04 PM
So sorry Dave.

Miss Foxy
04-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Sorry about your bird.. I hope the burial went ok.

Tyburn
04-26-2011, 01:21 AM
Sorry about your bird.. I hope the burial went ok.

it did. After work on Saturday I walked all the way to scotton mill in the nid gorge and then I threw Pettis over the edge and watched him bob off down stream, swept by the current...until his lil red beak became just one discoloured dot amoung thousands of discoloured dot that make up the ever growing flotsam on the river towards Knaresborough

Thank you everyone for your condolences, it hasnt been the best passiontide for me this year :sad:

VCURamFan
04-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Dave, I'm really sorry for not having stopped in here yet, but I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. I know how much you love your birds. :cry:

Play The Man
04-26-2011, 02:52 AM
He was a beautiful little bird.

Miss Foxy
04-26-2011, 07:32 PM
it did. After work on Saturday I walked all the way to scotton mill in the nid gorge and then I threw Pettis over the edge and watched him bob off down stream, swept by the current...until his lil red beak became just one discoloured dot amoung thousands of discoloured dot that make up the ever growing flotsam on the river towards Knaresborough

Thank you everyone for your condolences, it hasnt been the best passiontide for me this year :sad:

Wow Tyburn sounds so depressing.. :sad: On a side note I don't think you should just get rid of Bonnie now that she's no use to you :mellow:.. Just my thoughts though..