PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand the lesson?

Miss Foxy
04-23-2011, 01:20 AM
http://www.kimatv.com/news/120428639.html
TOPPENISH -- A gutsy senior project by a Toppenish student has quickly earned her national attention. Gaby Rodriguez faked her own pregnancy for the assignment. When the story hit the paper this morning, Gaby was quickly overwhelmed with calls from national morning show outlets hoping to tell her story. Action News talked to her about why, and how, she pulled off the elaborate hoax.

Gaby says when she first told her friends and family she was pregnant in December, the harsh words started flying.

"She's Latina,” said Rodriguez. “She's from Toppenish High School. It was bound to happen. There was no surprise to my pregnancy."

"You just ruined your lives, you made everything difficult for yourselves,” said Gaby’s boyfriend Jorge Orozco. “You aren't going to make it.

And she wasn't the only one hurt for the sake of her senior project, faking a pregnancy to see how people would react. To succeed in the experiment, she lied to almost everyone in her life. Only a handful of people, including her mom, boyfriend, and principal knew the whole thing was a hoax.

"It was tough for all of us,” Orozco said. “We lied to a lot of people. A lot of people were upset when they found out."

Most of her siblings didn't even know the truth. Neither did her boyfriend's parents, thinking they were going to be grandparents. It's amazing the lie was pulled off at all.

"They were pretty upset, but they'll get over it,” said Gaby’s mother, Juana Rodriguez. “It's nothing but positive from here on out."

Many are admiring how she managed to do it. The homemade bump was filled with clay and cotton, and looked just like the real thing. That's why an assembly to reveal the hoax was so emotional for Gaby and Jorge. She says she was relieved to finally come clean and teach her classmates a valuable lesson.

"A lot of students are grateful I did this because I've gotten comments saying I deal with stereotypes and rumors in my family and school as well,” she said. “They said, I'm glad you spoke up about it."

And so is Gaby. The teen says she's never felt freer in her life. She's currently looking forward to prom and college in the fall, and handling all those calls from New York. Until then, it's back to being a normal teen, but what she's accomplished is far from it.

While Action News was there, Gaby's phone was ringing off the hook from the Today Show, Early Show and Good Morning America. She was already planning to go on a field trip tomorrow, and hopes to put off the national attention until it all sinks in. Gaby has dreams of becoming a social worker, and is set to attend Columbia Basin College in the fall. She says she wants to help troubled teens.

Miss Foxy
04-23-2011, 01:22 AM
I don't understand what she was trying to prove.:blink: Sounds very sickening she would go as far as create a fake baby bump.. I just don't see the lesson. Her mother sounds like an idiot saying the fake father to be's parents need to get over it? Omg the day a girl ever pulled that stunt and my son go along with it is the day I smack him upside the head and probably the mothers too!

logrus
04-23-2011, 01:37 AM
I don't understand what she was trying to prove.:blink: Sounds very sickening she would go as far as create a fake baby bump.. I just don't see the lesson. Her mother sounds like an idiot saying the fake father to be's parents need to get over it? Omg the day a girl ever pulled that stunt and my son go along with it is the day I smack him upside the head and probably the mothers too!

Actually she did it to show how society treats teens who make a mistake and are choosing to live with it. Pretty much I guess she faced a ton of negativity even amongst her friends who called her a whore and other berating things.

Im kinda surprised someone who feels so strongly about pro life has taken this in such a wrong direction. Instead of applauding her for bringing to the attention of the public the mistreatment pregnant teens face when they are willing to carry to full term. You are actually wanting to kick her butt in lol. :laugh:

Miss Foxy
04-23-2011, 01:43 AM
Actually she did it to show how society treats teens who make a mistake and are choosing to live with it. Pretty much I guess she faced a ton of negativity even amongst her friends who called her a whore and other berating things.

Im kinda surprised someone who feels so strongly about pro life has taken this in such a wrong direction. Instead of applauding her for bringing to the attention of the public the mistreatment pregnant teens face when they are willing to carry to full term. You are actually wanting to kick her butt in lol. :laugh:

Being pro-life has nothing to do with this at all. I was a teen mother myself yes people looked however no one called me a whore or anything like that. Shoot I still got asked to prom by a few guys. I would applaud her if she was actually a teen mom. I applaud Bristol Palin for all her work towards teen pregnancy!! I guess I just don't like they lying part.

logrus
04-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Being pro-life has nothing to do with this at all. I was a teen mother myself yes people looked however no one called me a whore or anything like that. Shoot I still got asked to prom by a few guys. I would applaud her if she was actually a teen mom. I applaud Bristol Palin for all her work towards teen pregnancy!! I guess I just don't like they lying part.

Might I ask when this was, You bein a teen momma ?

Really this is no different then the skinny girl dressing up to be fat or the attractive girl dressing down like a barf bag.

Dethbob
04-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Really this is no different then the skinny girl dressing up to be fat or the attractive girl dressing down like a barf bag.

No offense, but I have to wonder what your life experience is if you think pretending to be pregnant is no different than pretending to be unattractive.

Miss Foxy
04-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Might I ask when this was, You bein a teen momma ?

I don't get your statement? If your trying to attack me your doing a horrible job..

County Mike
04-23-2011, 03:52 PM
I'd ask a pregnant girl to prom too. Can't get her pregnant again and it's obvious she likes the sex. It's a win-win.

Spiritwalker
04-23-2011, 05:47 PM
When I was a junior in high school.. I did a project were I "acted" homeless.. I lived on the streets for 2 weeks... in late spring...

I would hang out in certain areas.. and for 2 weeks.. I was spit at.. had things thrown at me.. and called many things.. mostly by kids my own age...

I had a homeless man come up to me.. and told me that I was too young to be on the streets... if I committed a minor crime.. I would be safe... then he gave me 2 crumpled dollars and a pair of socks...

I will never forget that.. it still makes me tear up... and yes I found him later...

the point???

My girlfriend was talking pictures and videos and asking people.. "Why would you do that.."

afterwards.. I showed my pictures and films.. to my classmates.. "why did you film that guy??" I was asked...

When I said it wasn't "some guy".. it was me.. (after about an hour long presentation..).. you could have heard a pin drop.... and yes.. most didn't get it...

But some did.

flo
04-23-2011, 08:02 PM
That is really something, Spirit, good for you!

You walked the talk.

Spiritwalker
04-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks...
I did that many many moons ago...

I am proud of it.. but... it didn't do much.. and some of the people that are "out there"... don't want help....Granted... there are some that could do well with a helping hand..

but..

I learned in latter years....that helping "yourself.. before putting your hand out".. is really the better option...

logrus
04-24-2011, 01:12 AM
No offense, but I have to wonder what your life experience is if you think pretending to be pregnant is no different than pretending to be unattractive.

There is no difference considering both went out to prove how society would treat them if they were in the others shoes. The teen was treated bad, the fat girl was treated bad and the ugly girl was treated bad. In the end its all about the data and the data did not lie.

There is also stero typing studies too but I didnt care to put those in. Figured that it wouldnt be needed. As for my life experience, I really dont think you want to know about any off that.

I don't get your statement? If your trying to attack me your doing a horrible job..

Not really, its hard to draw a base line between yous two if I dont know when it happened. If it was 2 years ago, then I could be similar and if it was say 10+ yrs ago then its not similar at all.

logrus
04-24-2011, 01:15 AM
I'd ask a pregnant girl to prom too. Can't get her pregnant again and it's obvious she likes the sex. It's a win-win.

I wrote something like that in a response but realized it was me writing it and figured 99% of the forums would have been protesting my banning. so i nvr posted it.

Rev
04-24-2011, 01:16 AM

lol, I cant help myself, but that is one of the funniest things I have ever read.

Spiritwalker
04-24-2011, 04:12 AM
lol, I cant help myself, but that is one of the funniest things I have ever read.

Got to admit...... I LOL'ed

Neezar
04-24-2011, 06:06 PM
I wrote something like that in a response but realized it was me writing it and figured 99% of the forums would have been protesting my banning. so i nvr posted it.

First of all, your sense of humor has never came across anywhere near as good as Mike's. lol

Secondly, you are correct. I would definitely protest if you were threatened with banning for a comment as funny as that. :rolleyes:

flo
04-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Secondly, you are correct. I would definitely protest if you were threatened with banning for a comment as funny as that. :rolleyes:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/doglaughing.gif

Miss Foxy
04-25-2011, 03:30 PM
There is no difference considering both went out to prove how society would treat them if they were in the others shoes. The teen was treated bad, the fat girl was treated bad and the ugly girl was treated bad. In the end its all about the data and the data did not lie.

There is also stero typing studies too but I didnt care to put those in. Figured that it wouldnt be needed. As for my life experience, I really dont think you want to know about any off that.

Not really, its hard to draw a base line between yous two if I dont know when it happened. If it was 2 years ago, then I could be similar and if it was say 10+ yrs ago then its not similar at all.

Honey my daughter is almost 14...:ashamed: Many moons ago! lol

logrus
04-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Honey my daughter is almost 14...:ashamed: Many moons ago! lol

Today I think you would have been treated far harsher, or possibly had an easier time knowing about it. Social networking, and easy interweb has changed the landscape for how kids act and react towards one another. Of course back in the 50's you would have went to visit your cousin for the summer so nobody would have found out.. :laugh:

BamaGrits84
04-25-2011, 05:50 PM
I was a pregnant teen too. When I was 17 when my son was born. The comments and treatment by some people who call themselves Christians make me sick looking back. At the time I was too embarassed to stand up for myself. I was 7 months pregnant before I even showed my face in the church I had grown up in. The youth pastor was a jerk to me. He came in the Sunday school room the day of my baby shower, after having not spoken to me the whole time, and ask "Is everything under control for your bridal shower? I mean BABY shower?" I almost cried. Then ALL of my "friends" refused to speak to me until one Sunday a good family friend overheard one of them and prompotly anounced to the entire youth group that they could keep their giggles to themselves because the only difference in what I had done and them was the world could see my sins, but not to worry because most of their mothers were complaining about theirs. Jaws dropped because everyone in the group knew she knew they had had sex too. My grandmother, who is a Christian, told my mom I should have an abortion.

I don't think being a teen mom should be made easy though. I don't think people should treat you like it is okay. I think it is okay to let these girls know they have disappointed their parents, their friends, their siblings. Teen's having babies doesn't usually turn out well and at no point should it just be accepted. There is however a better way to address these mothers than with hatefulness.

I don't know what point she was trying to prove either. How teen moms get treated? I guess that can be two sided harshly. On one side it could discourage kids from getting pregnant. On another it could encourge abortion. Don't know what she is hoping to prove but I hope it is not accepting pregnant teens with open arms.

Miss Foxy
04-25-2011, 06:07 PM
I was a pregnant teen too. When I was 17 when my son was born. The comments and treatment by some people who call themselves Christians make me sick looking back. At the time I was too embarassed to stand up for myself. I was 7 months pregnant before I even showed my face in the church I had grown up in. The youth pastor was a jerk to me. He came in the Sunday school room the day of my baby shower, after having not spoken to me the whole time, and ask "Is everything under control for your bridal shower? I mean BABY shower?" I almost cried. Then ALL of my "friends" refused to speak to me until one Sunday a good family friend overheard one of them and prompotly anounced to the entire youth group that they could keep their giggles to themselves because the only difference in what I had done and them was the world could see my sins, but not to worry because most of their mothers were complaining about theirs. Jaws dropped because everyone in the group knew she knew they had had sex too. My grandmother, who is a Christian, told my mom I should have an abortion.

I don't think being a teen mom should be made easy though. I don't think people should treat you like it is okay. I think it is okay to let these girls know they have disappointed their parents, their friends, their siblings. Teen's having babies doesn't usually turn out well and at no point should it just be accepted. There is however a better way to address these mothers than with hatefulness.

I don't know what point she was trying to prove either. How teen moms get treated? I guess that can be two sided harshly. On one side it could discourage kids from getting pregnant. On another it could encourge abortion. Don't know what she is hoping to prove but I hope it is not accepting pregnant teens with open arms.

Sounds awful!! I commend you for taking the higher road instead of the easy way out and having an abortion.... I am glad I am not the only teen mom here..:ashamed: :wink:

County Mike
04-25-2011, 06:27 PM
I was a pregnant teen too.

Wanna go to prom?

BamaGrits84
04-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Wanna go to prom?

Only if you promise to STICK up for me...:laugh:

VCURamFan
04-25-2011, 07:00 PM
O geez, you're gonna lob Mike an easy, softball one like that? :laugh:

County Mike
04-25-2011, 08:19 PM

Don't worry. My stick will be up when you want it.

VCU: Couldn't resist that one.