PDA

View Full Version : Taco Bell: Our beef is beef

Spiritwalker
04-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Sometimes.. the REAL information.. is what is NOT said....

Am I the only one that wonders,.... "where is the rest of the story"

http://www.cnn.com/2011/BUSINESS/04/19/taco.bell.lawsuit/index.html?hpt=T2

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

The lawsuit was filed in January and alleged that Taco Bell's beef was only 35 percent beef"This sets the record straight," said Taco Bell's president

Taco Bell says it did not make changes to product or advertising because of suit

Law firm says it did get Taco Bell to make changes

(CNN) -- Attorneys this week dropped a lawsuit that alleged that Taco Bell's beef was mostly not beef, both sides of the once-contentious legal battle said.

Alabama-based law firm Beasley Allen brought the class-action lawsuit in January and claimed that lab tests had shown that the eatery's beef was actually only 35 percent beef.

The plaintiffs said they wanted the fast food restaurant to stop referring to its products as beef.

Taco Bell's leadership had vowed to fight the lawsuit and in January launched a newspaper attack slamming the litigation as "absolutely false."

In a full-page ad appearing in prominent newspapers at the time, Taco Bell proclaimed, "Thank you for suing us."

RidicuList: The beef with Taco Bell

A beef with Taco Bell "Our reputation's been falsely tarnished," Greg Creed, Taco Bell's president, said in January.

Creed at the time said he was meeting with outside counsel to possibly take legal action on these "egregious" accusations against the chain's beef.

On Monday, Taco Bell released a statement saying they had been vindicated.

"As Taco Bell has stated before, the allegations in the lawsuit and in public statements about Taco Bell's seasoned beef, food quality and advertising were absolutely wrong, the statement said. "No money or other value was exchanged between the parties, and Taco Bell is not making any changes to its products or advertising."

Creed added: "This sets the record straight about the high quality of our seasoned beef."

The Beasley Allen law firm confirmed the lawsuit was dropped but contended that they had pushed Taco Bell to make changes.

"As a result of the lawsuit, changes in marketing and product disclosure were made by the company, allowing us to dismiss the case," the law firm said in a statement.

rockdawg21
04-19-2011, 07:23 PM
The Beasley Allen firm just needs to shut up and drop off the face of the Earth. The world would be a lot better place without vultures like them.

BamaGrits84
04-19-2011, 07:28 PM
The Beasley Allen firm just needs to shut up and drop off the face of the Earth. The world would be a lot better place without vultures like them.

You just made my jaw drop! I worked for that firm! I have a few friends who still work for that firm!

But I did quit the day after the Christmas party because Jere "preached" about the Christmas story than dared to say he started that firm to "help people" - help means pad and people means wallet he way lying. I'm ok with someone out to make money - all companies are, but don't act like you're Godly for doing it.

BamaGrits84
04-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Oh and the sample taco that was originally tested was actually purchased by Cole Portis at the Taco Bell by my house so I haven't had Taco Bell since this started.

flo
04-19-2011, 08:00 PM
I never eat there, I can do without their mystery meat.

Commercial 100% beef is bacteria-ridden as it is. :sad:

flo
04-19-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm against class-action law suits in general. It's deteriorated to the point that that these days the participants end up with a check for $1.27 while the attys net millions. (think John Edwards)

Whenever we get a notice to join a class-action lawsuit, it goes in the circular file.

:laugh:

BamaGrits84
04-19-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm against class-action law suits in general. It's deteriorated to the point that that these days the participants end up with a check for $1.27 while the attys net millions. (think John Edwards)

Whenever we get a notice to join a class-action lawsuit, it goes in the circular file.

I just tried to find an article where Jere had a class action suit involving some residents who were impacted by I believe a chicken processing plant that was dumping waste. It happened within the state and the folks involved were pissed because of several millions won no one ended with with more than a few thousand dollars.

Since I didn't have to sign any disclosure documents I'll spill some info. I worked for mass torts (mainly medical like drugs and artifical knee problems). Each case would have a code used to track ALL expenses. To use the copy machine you had to enter a code and clients are charged 10 cent (7 years ago) per page under percent plus expense. Travel cost would involve luxury hotels and fine dinning. I mean several hundred dollars for meals and then the client only sees is all lumped as "travel cost" and many poor people - the main client base - have no idea what resonable travel cost are. If we had to make a long distance call we entered the case cost code. They use software that requires legal assistants to log a cost code in for almost every task done on their computer. No penny is spent on a case that is not recovered if a win comes from it. People think "well 30% is not bad" (I've seen some up to 40% where allowed), but once you include cost it usually ends up being well over 60%.

BamaGrits84
04-19-2011, 08:38 PM
In general I do not believe in suing. It hurts corporate American and that is bad for individuals. I do however know several drug companies put out products they know should have more testing done on them. Lives get lost over the rush to make money by drug companies.

But beef in tacos? Who cares. I would be willing to be that it all started as a joke about eating cheap food.

DonnaMaria
04-20-2011, 04:06 PM
I love Taco Bell. Love it. :ashamed: Loveitloveitloveit!:laugh:

I wish I knew what the "mystery" meat was .............it's so tasty!:ninja:

Maybe it's actually people!:scared0011: Like in the movie Fried Green Tomatoes.

Luckily there are no Taco Bells near me. So I can only buy some once in a blue moon...................

flo
04-20-2011, 06:15 PM
I love Taco Bell. Love it. :ashamed: Loveitloveitloveit!:laugh:

My better half does too, DM! He never tells me he has eaten there but I see the debit card receipts, lol!

I wish I knew what the "mystery" meat was .............it's so tasty!:ninja:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

flo
04-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Since I didn't have to sign any disclosure documents I'll spill some info. I worked for mass torts (mainly medical like drugs and artifical knee problems). Each case would have a code used to track ALL expenses. To use the copy machine you had to enter a code and clients are charged 10 cent (7 years ago) per page under percent plus expense. Travel cost would involve luxury hotels and fine dinning. I mean several hundred dollars for meals and then the client only sees is all lumped as "travel cost" and many poor people - the main client base - have no idea what resonable travel cost are. If we had to make a long distance call we entered the case cost code. They use software that requires legal assistants to log a cost code in for almost every task done on their computer. No penny is spent on a case that is not recovered if a win comes from it. People think "well 30% is not bad" (I've seen some up to 40% where allowed), but once you include cost it usually ends up being well over 60%.

Wow, that's very interesting, Bama! It's worse than I thought.

rockdawg21
04-20-2011, 09:12 PM
I never eat there, I can do without their mystery meat.

Commercial 100% beef is bacteria-ridden as it is. :sad:
So is the tap water (or well/pond water if you've had that) you've been drinking all of your life.

Agreed, hate all these stupid lawsuits that only make these greedy leeches rich.

DonnaMaria
04-21-2011, 04:02 AM
My better half does too, DM! He never tells me he has eaten there but I see the debit card receipts, lol!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Taco Bell is one of my guilty pleasures! :ashamed: It's so gross but I love it!:laugh:

White Castle hamburgers are another. They are also called Rat Burgers in North Jersey. ohmygoodheavens I love them!

KENTUCKYREDBONE
04-21-2011, 05:28 PM
I just tried to find an article where Jere had a class action suit involving some residents who were impacted by I believe a chicken processing plant that was dumping waste. It happened within the state and the folks involved were pissed because of several millions won no one ended with with more than a few thousand dollars.

And that's part of the reason people despise attorney's! An honest Lawyer I believe is an endangered species!

flo
04-21-2011, 05:53 PM
So is the tap water (or well/pond water if you've had that) you've been drinking all of your life.

:laugh: Not really! I know there are allowable levels of poisons, etc. in drinking water but tap water is rigorously tested, by law.

Beef, on the other hand... (http://www.presstv.ir/usdetail/174997.html)

But then, I'm not the one with IBS. :Whistle:

rockdawg21
04-21-2011, 06:20 PM
:laugh: Not really! I know there are allowable levels of poisons, etc. in drinking water but tap water is rigorously tested, by law.

Beef, on the other hand... (http://www.presstv.ir/usdetail/174997.html)

But then, I'm not the one with IBS. :Whistle:
LOL, well just like water goes through a filtration process, the bacteria in beef is killed as long as it is properly cooked.

Fortunately, beef hasn't been a problem for me. I'd rather die, I love beef!

flo
04-21-2011, 08:21 PM
LOL, well just like water goes through a filtration process, the bacteria in beef is killed as long as it is properly cooked.

Fortunately, beef hasn't been a problem for me. I'd rather die, I love beef!

We do too! We just have to cook it well now.

No more of those great medium rare steaks...:cry: