PDA

View Full Version : Can you baby read? I hope not.

BamaGrits84
04-13-2011, 06:07 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42559751

I'm sure you have all seen the commercials for Yoru Baby Can Read and it seems exciting to most parents. But what I wonder is this - do parents who order this think their child is somehow going to be privy to some special college degree beyond what everyone else can obtain? I really even find it odd that someone would want to force a child to mature so quickly knowing how bad it sucks to be an adult. Why open the door for so much to be put on your child? My oldest son goes to a magnet school and has to do work 1 - 2 grade levels higher. I was heart broken when my youngest didn't get in this school wondering what I did wrong and was he going to end up getting a horrible education. That is when it hit me - why make a big deal of the extra pressure when in the end all students have access to only the highest level of college! Having to work too hard as a kid or having to learn to read instead of getting to chew on things as a baby is not going to open some magical door to sucess for anyone. (Unless your baby is chewing on something lead based then there is a problem. hehehe)

County Mike
04-13-2011, 06:10 PM
We have that. I don't think we're putting any pressure on Hailey by letting her watch it. If it helps her learn to read sooner, awesome. If not, she still likes watching it. Actually, if she does learn to read because of this, it would make school that much easier for her and probably reduce the pressure she feels.

BamaGrits84
04-13-2011, 06:18 PM
We have that. I don't think we're putting any pressure on Hailey by letting her watch it. If it helps her learn to read sooner, awesome. If not, she still likes watching it. Actually, if she does learn to read because of this, it would make school that much easier for her and probably reduce the pressure she feels.

How long have you used it? Can she read yet? When my kids were 4 they both learned to read and both are reading books at least 2 grade levels above standard. Kids who are going to excel will pick up in preschool.

Chris F
04-13-2011, 06:43 PM
I started reading at a really young age and it made school easier for me but since I was unchallenged by the school or my parents I got lazy and did not excel at anything. The only thing it got me was the enjoyment I got reading books most kids would not dare to attempt. I do not think it hurts ti let them watch as Mike says but what does hurt is lack of involvement. Your kids are lucky to have a mom who is involved. :) They will be better citizens for it.

BamaGrits84
04-13-2011, 06:51 PM
I just realized i put "can YOU baby". If there is a can your baby spell my mom should have gotten me that. :blink:

Neezar
04-14-2011, 03:50 AM
My oldest is going to be put in the gifted program next year. I opted out on the testing for the School of Arts. (They wanted to test him at age 3. I wasn't ready. lol) But when talking to the screeners everyone agreed that the highest scoring kids were the ones allowed to learn through playtime. Much moreso than those who were taught structured lessons.

County Mike
04-14-2011, 11:22 AM
How long have you used it? Can she read yet? When my kids were 4 they both learned to read and both are reading books at least 2 grade levels above standard. Kids who are going to excel will pick up in preschool.

We had her watching it almost every day for a few weeks. She's only 11 months old though, so she can't read yet. They played songs and highlighted the words as they were sung, so her recognition of the words may eventually be ahead of schedule. Who knows?

I loved to read at a young age. I was reading Stephen King and other novels while I was somewhere between 3rd and 5th grade. It has definitely helped me with spelling, grammar, vocabulary. School was also easy and sometimes boring for me, even with advanced classes, but that's a good problem to have.