PDA

View Full Version : Food police at it again!

KENTUCKYREDBONE
04-12-2011, 01:32 AM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/food-fight-chicago-school-bans-students-from-bringing-own-lunches/

rockdawg21
04-12-2011, 06:07 AM
That's stupid.

Spiritwalker
04-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Agreed....

I don't care if the schools are providing the MOST HEALTHY... foods in the world... If I want my kids to have what I prepare... that's what they will take.. I would like to see some rule like that get passed around here... It would be laughable...

County Mike
04-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Does the school at least offer alternatives? When I was in high school, they had peanut butter and jelly as an option every day. Salad was also a daily option to whatever the daily special was.

Banning kids from bringing their own is stupid though. Even if it was meant with good intentions. Do you think the kids who used to bring chips and soda are going to eat the school lunch just because you banned their chips and soda? Instead of banning bagged lunches, just ban the soda.

rearnakedchoke
04-12-2011, 12:31 PM
i didn't read the whole article, but are they providing food that is kosher?, halal? or some kids have dietary issues, no gluten etc? ... just wondering

flo
04-12-2011, 06:40 PM
When are schools like this one in Chicago going to start worrying about what matters? Like teaching the children enough so that they can get by as adults. Forget about churning out students that will excel, just try to teach them enough to cope.

But no, that's asking too much, apparently.

Message here is 1) you parents are too stupid to feed your spawn adequately nutritious food and 2) we don't want us no fatties (using the Chicago vernacular there :-)

Here is an interesting little tidbit about Chicago schools and why they might want to concentrate on something other than what mom & dad are packing in their kid's lunches.

A recent op-ed in the New York Times skewers Barack Obama for sending his daughters to the prestigious University of Chicago Laboratory Schools rather than one of the public schools near his Kenwood home. The author, Sandra Tsing Loh, acknowledges that the CPS schools in Obama's community are struggling, with most of them recording test scores in the bottom 20 to 40 percent compared to the national average. In fact, Shoesmith Elementary, the school closest to Obama's house (and where he voted in the 2008 Illinois primary), has a ranking of 3 on GreatSchools.net, meaning the most recent available standardize test scores for the school fall in the bottom 30 percent nationwide. Shoesmith's fifth graders, the class that Obama's oldest daughter Malia would be in, have test grades in the lowest 10 percent.

The op-ed goes on to say that, "those low numbers suggest that few children of educated, middle-class children are attending the local schools...[if the Obamas] had chosen public over private school, they could have lifted up not just their one local public school, but a family of schools."

The liberals just love telling us how to live while they themselves opt out of the very programs they try to cram down our throats.

full article here (http://www.examiner.com/neighborhood-in-chicago/what-rankings-for-chicago-public-schools-say-about-the-debate-of-public-versus-private-schools)

Neezar
04-13-2011, 12:16 PM
When are schools like this one in Chicago going to start worrying about what matters? Like teaching the children enough so that they can get by as adults. Forget about churning out students that will excel, just try to teach them enough to cope.

But no, that's asking too much, apparently.

Message here is 1) you parents are too stupid to feed your spawn adequately nutritious food and 2) we don't want us no fatties (using the Chicago vernacular there :-)

Here is an interesting little tidbit about Chicago schools and why they might want to concentrate on something other than what mom & dad are packing in their kid's lunches.

The liberals just love telling us how to live while they themselves opt out of the very programs they try to cram down our throats.

full article here (http://www.examiner.com/neighborhood-in-chicago/what-rankings-for-chicago-public-schools-say-about-the-debate-of-public-versus-private-schools)

Great points!