PDA

View Full Version : US Federal Government to...shut down???

Tyburn
04-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Apparently there has been a lot of problems with the budgit this year...

Apparently the Federal Government is considering a shut down?? Goodness only knows what that actually means...surely a countries Government cant go on strike :blink: Apparently, they cant afford to pay their Military and their Government at the same time...so they are going to shut the Government down...WTF?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5SnmwR--68

You'll be glad to know he believes he can stop the Government from shutting down...apparently it did shut down 15 years ago or something....I dont quite understand what that entails...or why.

County Mike
04-07-2011, 01:02 PM
The US Government has shut down several times, usually for only a day or two. They only stop non-essential jobs. If you're a government worker that is responsible for the safety of others, you continue working. Air traffic control, as one example, will continue.

My job is questionable. I support air traffic control software, but what they have running now should be fine if we shut down for a day or two.

The real issue is how it will affect the economy. That's a lot of people not getting paid and therefore, not spending. Hopefully it doesn't happen. If they're going to force me to take time off without pay, I'd rather they do it in the summer so I can go to the beach or something.

Boomer
04-07-2011, 01:20 PM
The US Government has shut down several times, usually for only a day or two. They only stop non-essential jobs. If you're a government worker that is responsible for the safety of others, you continue working. Air traffic control, as one example, will continue.

My job is questionable. I support air traffic control software, but what they have running now should be fine if we shut down for a day or two.

The real issue is how it will affect the economy. That's a lot of people not getting paid and therefore, not spending. Hopefully it doesn't happen. If they're going to force me to take time off without pay, I'd rather they do it in the summer so I can go to the beach or something.

Same same for me. The Center I work at is adjusting to shut down ... which in the middle of a few wars doesn't seem too smart ... but what do I know. haha ... finish painting my living room ... clean the shed ....

rockdawg21
04-07-2011, 05:18 PM
I think the government is planning to copy El Gran Paro Estadounidense, the Great American Boycott of 2006. Everybody remember that?

Tyburn
04-07-2011, 05:37 PM

ohhhhh...I see what you mean...sorry...I thought it was a complete shut down of the Federation until they had enough money :ashamed:

What Great American Boycott of 2006 :huh: I was on this forum then and dont remember hearing anything about that :blink:

rockdawg21
04-07-2011, 06:25 PM
ohhhhh...I see what you mean...sorry...I thought it was a complete shut down of the Federation until they had enough money :ashamed:

What Great American Boycott of 2006 :huh: I was on this forum then and dont remember hearing anything about that :blink:
That was the day all of the Mexicans illegal, and some legal, decided to display their economic impact by hanging outside all day, complaining about the U.S., and flying Mexican flags to demand amnesty by the U.S. government :rolleyes:

I think only the U.S. news outlets noticed.

Tyburn
04-07-2011, 09:45 PM
That was the day all of the Mexicans illegal, and some legal, decided to display their economic impact by hanging outside all day, complaining about the U.S., and flying Mexican flags to demand amnesty by the U.S. government :rolleyes:

I think only the U.S. news outlets noticed.

How RUDE of them...but what a GIFT for the Federal Government...who no doubt arrested the whole lot, and deported everyone with a tainted flag who by rights did not belong there... :laugh:

...I mean...they DID use that demonstration to locate all the Illegals...no :huh:

BTW... The Office of Management and Budgit (basically the Admin for Financies of the Executive Branch of the US Government, says basically, it can handle a shut down :laugh: ) apparently they are planning for the shut down, and have been all week...they say its "responsible management" even though they dont want the shut-down to happen...and no they havent told us HOW LONG the shut down would occure for?

A single day would be like a bank holiday...but a whole week...or month...well..that wouldnt be good...bloody hell! they will shut down the Smithsonian :( and all the parks and forrests, and any financial processes for loans, mortgages, inspections, and things like passports, customer support for everything including online, phone, and offices will be suspended, forget your welfare or medical benefits...department of defence planning agencies will not opporate...(sooo your gonna be in trouble if a city needs evacuating or some natural disastor happens!) and the Military will not get paid...how can they NOT pay their military???

Apparently FIMA and Airtrafic control would be guarenteed, along with social security (whatever that might be) Weather watches, and Tectonic watches will be guarenteed, Postal System will be Guarenteed, Customs will be Guarenteed, Military presence in Irag, Afghanistan, and Libya would be Guarenteed, NASA will remain open for business, and WTF are food stamps??? are they like Coupons or something?? FBI, US Marshalls and the Entire Penal System of the United States will be unaffected.

Im sorry but whoever is responsible for this oughta looose their jobs!

rockdawg21
04-07-2011, 10:08 PM
How RUDE of them...but what a GIFT for the Federal Government...who no doubt arrested the whole lot, and deported everyone with a tainted flag who by rights did not belong there... :laugh:

...I mean...they DID use that demonstration to locate all the Illegals...no :huh:
Actually, no. Some of the crowds were more than 400,000 people, not as if you can control them, especially if you would say, "Please disperse" and all of them reply with "Que?" :laugh:

rockdawg21
04-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Haha, Jay Leno just said something like...

"People are wondering what a government shut down would be like.
I'm wondering what a government doing its' job would be like."

Leno kicks arse!

County Mike
04-08-2011, 12:37 PM
I was watching the news and they were posting opinions that people had emailed in about the potential shutdown. Unfortunately, we are a country of ignorant masses. Seems quite a few people think a government shutdown would be a good thing. They think it would save money because the government won't be spending for those days.

They don't understand how it will affect the economy when hundreds of thousands of people aren't getting paid. In turn, those people won't spend money on as many products/services so all THOSE people lose money as well.

I think you should have to pass a test to be allowed to vote. Show you at least have SOME basic idea of what the candidates stand for before picking one. I wouldn't even mind if they gave you multiple shots at the test, so at least, by the time you passed it, you will have learned something about what you're voting for.

Tyburn
04-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Actually, no. Some of the crowds were more than 400,000 people, not as if you can control them, especially if you would say, "Please disperse" and all of them reply with "Que?" :laugh:

The bigger the crowd the easier it is to control...you just need to send in the troop and hold them in a kettle...whilst you go round each person and ask them for a passport...no American passport...pop them in a truck and send them to the Mexican Boarder :laugh:

Tyburn
04-08-2011, 02:14 PM
I was watching the news and they were posting opinions that people had emailed in about the potential shutdown. Unfortunately, we are a country of ignorant masses. Seems quite a few people think a government shutdown would be a good thing. They think it would save money because the government won't be spending for those days.

They don't understand how it will affect the economy when hundreds of thousands of people aren't getting paid. In turn, those people won't spend money on as many products/services so all THOSE people lose money as well.

I think you should have to pass a test to be allowed to vote. Show you at least have SOME basic idea of what the candidates stand for before picking one. I wouldn't even mind if they gave you multiple shots at the test, so at least, by the time you passed it, you will have learned something about what you're voting for.

IMHO The Title "Government Shutdown" is missleading.

They arent shutting down Congress, or The Supreme Court, or the President...therefore...its not a Government shut down at all...its a Service Closure of all Government non essential Public Provisions.

If they called it a "Government Service Sector Closure" people might think differently...the title is why I asked on here...I Assumed the Government, as in Congress and The Courts were going on Strike.

County Mike
04-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Turns out I'm "essential personnel" so I will be reporting for work on Monday. Since I support air traffic control, they need me available. Still sucks for everyone else who will lose wages and the trickle down effect on the economy.

BamaGrits84
04-08-2011, 03:36 PM
I say shut it down. We have got to get spending under control! I know it will hurt some people in the short term but in the long term our country will be better off. I don't think there needs to be a meet in the middle deal. No. Conservatives need to stick to their guns. No one got elected because we want them to meet someone in the middle. The middle is still crap!

Federal employees make almost double what private sector employees do. How is it fair on taxpayer for us to provide funds for people who do like jobs to make way more than us?

DonnaMaria
04-08-2011, 04:24 PM
It's just sad that the people who got us into this mess aren't the ones making the sacrifices to get us out of it. Everyone is screaming for performance based salaries. That should apply to the politicians as well.

BamaGrits84
04-08-2011, 06:20 PM
It's just sad that the people who got us into this mess aren't the ones making the sacrifices to get us out of it. Everyone is screaming for performance based salaries. That should apply to the politicians as well.

+1

logrus
04-08-2011, 07:00 PM
I say shut it down. We have got to get spending under control! I know it will hurt some people in the short term but in the long term our country will be better off. I don't think there needs to be a meet in the middle deal. No. Conservatives need to stick to their guns. No one got elected because we want them to meet someone in the middle. The middle is still crap!

Federal employees make almost double what private sector employees do. How is it fair on taxpayer for us to provide funds for people who do like jobs to make way more than us?

You know whats funny, they will get fridays off, but they will get payed overtime during the week to make up for the friday they missed.

My buddy who works for the Gov next to the private sector guy gets paid almost double what the other guy makes. They both do similar jobs but the private sector guy has more experience.

BamaGrits84
04-08-2011, 07:24 PM
You know whats funny, they will get fridays off, but they will get payed overtime during the week to make up for the friday they missed.

My buddy who works for the Gov next to the private sector guy gets paid almost double what the other guy makes. They both do similar jobs but the private sector guy has more experience.

My brother worked for that state of FL under his trade - telecommunications something or another. He decided he wanted to work at the post office because he knew long term he would make more money so he took on a part time job with the post office as a sub, eventually quiting his job with the state so he could keep the part time work with the post office and took a night job as a DOC guard to make up for the income difference. Why? Because he knows as soon as he gets on fulltime with the post office he'll make about 20% more than his original state job and have better retirement. No college degree needed to sort mail but more money than he can make using his degree and 10 years of experience.

rockdawg21
04-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Turns out I'm "essential personnel" so I will be reporting for work on Monday. Since I support air traffic control, they need me available. Still sucks for everyone else who will lose wages and the trickle down effect on the economy.
I support ATC, does that mean I can get a check too? :laugh:

Tyburn
04-08-2011, 08:48 PM

Has it actually happened??

If so...How does Obama ever expect to get Re-Ellected?....out of a four year term We've had three...First Year he bowed to all the Arabs, and cut Starwars upsetting The Eastern Europeans.

Year Two, he performs a Health Reform that noone in the country, and half his own party think is shyte...with such a slim majority, and causing such offence to State Governments, its likely to be overrulled by the Supreme Court

Year Three he looses control during the Mid Terms, Almost destroys tyhe pensions of the elderly people in England by trying to bankrupt British Petrolium for an oil leak he was late to respond to, he considered sending compensation to Turkey for having been offended by Israel of more financial concern

Now he's ultimately responsible for Destroying the livelihoods of half the Governments public sector in a shut down that hasnt happened since 1996! and is likely to send America...and thereby the whole of the world, once more into a recession that Europe hasnt even finished pulling out of (Just Yesterday Portugal declared itself more or less bankrupt and wants a country bail out, like The Republic of Eire before it, and Greece before that.)

...and all because he cant negotiate...which I find extraordinary since negotiation is based on speech...and I had thought that was about his only political asset.

What would a guy with no military experience care about whether his troops get paid or not...Tragic Presidency!

County Mike
04-08-2011, 09:24 PM
He's counting on the ignorant masses to remain ignorant masses.

BamaGrits84
04-08-2011, 09:34 PM

Which mass are you referring to? There are lots of them?

I knwo it sucks for people who have federal jobs. I don't really want my brother or uncle going without pay. Right now there is a story out that a major hodl up is using tax money to pay for abortions. Being very prolife I say shutdown over giving in on such an important issue.

Tyburn
04-08-2011, 10:08 PM

then we MUST enlighten them :frantics:

County Mike
04-09-2011, 02:29 AM
then we MUST enlighten them :frantics:

Some are learning, but quite a few are unreachable.

Play The Man
04-09-2011, 06:35 AM
Has it actually happened??

If so...How does Obama ever expect to get Re-Ellected?....out of a four year term We've had three...First Year he bowed to all the Arabs, and cut Starwars upsetting The Eastern Europeans.

Year Two, he performs a Health Reform that noone in the country, and half his own party think is shyte...with such a slim majority, and causing such offence to State Governments, its likely to be overrulled by the Supreme Court

Year Three he looses control during the Mid Terms, Almost destroys tyhe pensions of the elderly people in England by trying to bankrupt British Petrolium for an oil leak he was late to respond to, he considered sending compensation to Turkey for having been offended by Israel of more financial concern

Now he's ultimately responsible for Destroying the livelihoods of half the Governments public sector in a shut down that hasnt happened since 1996! and is likely to send America...and thereby the whole of the world, once more into a recession that Europe hasnt even finished pulling out of (Just Yesterday Portugal declared itself more or less bankrupt and wants a country bail out, like The Republic of Eire before it, and Greece before that.)

...and all because he cant negotiate...which I find extraordinary since negotiation is based on speech...and I had thought that was about his only political asset.

What would a guy with no military experience care about whether his troops get paid or not...Tragic Presidency!
It is now a moot point since an agreement was reached; however, I think you are misreading Obama and the Democrats on the potential shutdown. They wanted a shutdown. I'm surprised they agreed to a bill that averted a shutdown. They would use it as a weapon against Republicans: "The Republicans don't care about workers" "The Republicans don't care about the elderly." "The Republicans don't care about . . . ad infinitum"

Tyburn
04-09-2011, 12:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu9ZCgfypZw

this was his public statement on the matter :laugh:

Tyburn
04-09-2011, 12:26 PM
It is now a moot point since an agreement was reached; however, I think you are misreading Obama and the Democrats on the potential shutdown. They wanted a shutdown. I'm surprised they agreed to a bill that averted a shutdown. They would use it as a weapon against Republicans: "The Republicans don't care about workers" "The Republicans don't care about the elderly." "The Republicans don't care about . . . ad infinitum"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7MfMeaHFRs

See this speech is nearly the same as the other....but you can start to see his oratory skills coming out, and him using emotional blackmail to get people on his side...I bet this was a rouse to help with his ellection campaign...because IF the problem really did lay with him...then to save the Government and People at the last moment implies that they...like that mother and her school child...are in his debt...more importantly, by default he then says because they managed to over come petty political differences...that is supposed to make us believe he is more mature then that.

I think its a whole load of bollox myself. :mellow:

rearnakedchoke
04-09-2011, 05:11 PM

isn't the money being saved from the shutdown going to Planned Parenthood? I heard that on the radio yesterday ... or were they just being facetious (sp?) and i came in half way through the comment ... LOL

County Mike
04-10-2011, 07:15 PM
isn't the money being saved from the shutdown going to Planned Parenthood? I heard that on the radio yesterday ... or were they just being facetious (sp?) and i came in half way through the comment ... LOL

There was no actual shutdown. Besides, if there were a shutdown the US would actually lose money, not save.