PDA

View Full Version : Their has to be some kind of medical condition causing this!

KENTUCKYREDBONE
04-02-2011, 06:36 AM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/little-emperor-syndrome-meet-the-130-pound-chinese-toddler/

I have a 13 yo and a 16 yo! It sounds to me like this 3 yo eats more than what my kids are able to eat. Well every now an then they can make 3-4 trips at a buffet but most times they don't eat as much as this kid. My 16 yo weighs almost the same as this kid. I suspect theirs something wrong or a 3 yo would not physically be able to eat that much!

rockdawg21
04-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Tapeworm

TexasRN
04-02-2011, 09:00 PM
It could be Prader-Willi Syndrome.

"Affected children have an intense craving for food and will do almost anything to get it. This results in uncontrollable weight gain and morbid obesity. Morbid obesity may lead to lung failure with low blood oxygen levels, right-sided heart failure, and death."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002572/

~Amy

Bonnie
04-02-2011, 09:34 PM
It could be Prader-Willi Syndrome.

"Affected children have an intense craving for food and will do almost anything to get it. This results in uncontrollable weight gain and morbid obesity. Morbid obesity may lead to lung failure with low blood oxygen levels, right-sided heart failure, and death."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002572/

~Amy

Amy, I'm not sure by what I read of Prader-Willi, if it's the same thing I'm thinking about. I saw a medical program a while back that showed some children who were born without that hormone(?) or whatever it is that triggers/tells the brain that the stomach is full so they are ALWAYS hungry. Those children like the little boy in the video were morbidly obese. :sad: Their parents had to literally put chains and locks on the refrigerator and cabinets where the food was stored or else they would eat it all. Like this little boy, they would cry and throw tantrums until they got food...more food. :sad:

Primadawn
04-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Amy, I'm not sure by what I read of Prader-Willi, if it's the same thing I'm thinking about. I saw a medical program a while back that showed some children who were born without that hormone(?) or whatever it is that triggers/tells the brain that the stomach is full so they are ALWAYS hungry. Those children like the little boy in the video were morbidly obese. :sad: Their parents had to literally put chains and locks on the refrigerator and cabinets where the food was stored or else they would eat it all. Like this little boy, they would cry and throw tantrums until they got food...more food. :sad:

Bonnie--yes, that sounds like the same thing. I have a 1 year old niece with Prader-Willi. Her parents were told by her doctors that she will have uncontrollable appetite from the time she's 3 or 4. She will always feel ravenously hungry and have to be watched constantly-and yes, they suggested putting locks on the cupboards and fridge, as she won't be able to stop herself. Additionally, they have a slow metabolism and generally are short statured. Baby Anna's been on growth hormone from the time she was 6 months old to try to make her a little longer/taller to help carry the weight she will eventually gain. They also tend to have a super-high pain threshhold, sometimes to the point of breaking bones and not realizing it.
She will need supervision and care for the rest of her life as, left alone, she would literally eat herself to death.
Sad. And there is no cure and not really even any treatment.

DonnaMaria
04-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Bonnie--yes, that sounds like the same thing. I have a 1 year old niece with Prader-Willi. Her parents were told by her doctors that she will have uncontrollable appetite from the time she's 3 or 4. She will always feel ravenously hungry and have to be watched constantly-and yes, they suggested putting locks on the cupboards and fridge, as she won't be able to stop herself. Additionally, they have a slow metabolism and generally are short statured. Baby Anna's been on growth hormone from the time she was 6 months old to try to make her a little longer/taller to help carry the weight she will eventually gain. They also tend to have a super-high pain threshhold, sometimes to the point of breaking bones and not realizing it.
She will need supervision and care for the rest of her life as, left alone, she would literally eat herself to death.

:cry: Oh that is terrible! The poor girl!

I saw a program about this on TLC. One family said that the worst part of the disorder is the unwanted, rude and nasty comments from strangers!:angry: Complete strangers will comment on the childs condition and symptoms!

Bonnie
04-04-2011, 03:43 PM

How heartbreaking. :cry:

:cry: Oh that is terrible! The poor girl!

I saw a program about this on TLC. One family said that the worst part of the disorder is the unwanted, rude and nasty comments from strangers!:angry: Complete strangers will comment on the childs condition and symptoms!

People can be very cruel.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
04-05-2011, 12:02 AM
The Folk's making rude remarks need to be told its a medical condition so mind your own business! Here's a thought. In modern America you cannot be mean to someone based on thier Race or sexual preference. But it seems perfectly acceptable to be mean to fat people! Kinda sad I think!

Miss Foxy
04-05-2011, 06:48 PM
The Folk's making rude remarks need to be told its a medical condition so mind your own business! Here's a thought. In modern America you cannot be mean to someone based on thier Race or sexual preference. But it seems perfectly acceptable to be mean to fat people! Kinda sad I think!

+1...