PDA

View Full Version : Move to Middleweight?

foggy
03-09-2009, 03:19 AM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/14207/matt-hughes-not-ruling-out-a-future-move-to-middleweight.mma

That would be interesting to see. I don't think he should get an immediate title shot with Anderson Silva though. Isn't Wanderlei Silva moving down to Middleweight? That would be an interesting match? Or is Wanderlei fighting Franklin? Who could Matt fight in the MW division?

NateR
03-09-2009, 03:25 AM
I don't see why Matt shouldn't get a title shot right away. BJ Penn's first fight at Welterweight was a title fight and Matt's list of accomplishments far outweigh BJ's. Also, Randy Couture lost to Chuck twice in a row at LHW, retired, then came back to an instant title shot in the Heavyweight division. So, it's not unheard of.

Hughes_GOAT
03-09-2009, 03:32 AM
he won't have to cut as much weight, that's for sure.

rockdawg21
03-09-2009, 03:32 AM
Matt's accomplishments and history alone give him a straight shot at Silva if he wants it. There's no doubt it would be an enormous PPV buy. Matt always wants to fight the best and Silva is the best.

It'd be interesting to see. Many people have taken down Silva fairly easily, but Silva's good on his back. I wonder how well he would fare against a much shorter frame like Matt's.

foggy
03-09-2009, 03:45 AM
I thought BJ should have fought at least one fight at Welterweight first before going against the title holder. I guess that would have delayed his title defense at LW even longer though.

If Matt was still the Welterweight title holder, then maybe I could see him challenging Anderson Silva without a tune-up fight.

Put another way... should GSP get an immediate shot at Anderson Silva or should he have to fight a non-title bout at MW first?

I think Matt would have a few interesting fights at MW with Dan Henderson, Demian Maia or Matt Hamill.

jignpig
03-09-2009, 03:55 AM
I thought BJ should have fought at least one fight at Welterweight first before going against the title holder. I guess that would have delayed his title defense at LW even longer though.

If Matt was still the Welterweight title holder, then maybe I could see him challenging Anderson Silva without a tune-up fight.

Put another way... should GSP get an immediate shot at Anderson Silva or should he have to fight a non-title bout at MW first?

I think Matt would have a few interesting fights at MW with Dan Henderson, Demian Maia or Matt Hamill.
hendo hughes would be awesome! and as for a title shot, hughes earnd it 43 wins ago

VCURamFan
03-09-2009, 03:55 AM

I think Matt would have a few interesting fights at MW with Dan Henderson, Demian Maia or Matt Hamill.That's an interesting question, but it's not relevant. GSP is no where near the caliber of champion that Matt was. GSP was only 4 title wins in 3 years. Matt racked up 9 wins in 5 years, plus a win against over-weight Joe Riggs & a domination of the legend Royce Gracie. As much as the sherdoggers wanna proclaim him an MMA god, GSP is light years away from accomplishing what Matt has.

rockdawg21
03-09-2009, 03:56 AM
Hamill fights at LHW. He's a big LHW, the only way you'll see him at MW is if he drops 10-15 pounds of muscle, then cut the water weight.

jignpig
03-09-2009, 04:02 AM
That's an interesting question, but it's not relevant. GSP is no where near the caliber of champion that Matt was. GSP was only 4 title wins in 3 years. Matt racked up 9 wins in 5 years, plus a win against over-weight Joe Riggs & a domination of the legend Royce Gracie. As much as the sherdoggers wanna proclaim him an MMA god, GSP is light years away from accomplishing what Matt has.
well put vcu. while i dont question gsps skills. i do question his "hero" status.

foggy
03-09-2009, 04:03 AM
Hamill fights at LHW. He's a big LHW, the only way you'll see him at MW is if he drops 10-15 pounds of muscle, then cut the water weight.

Sorry, I meant Michael Bisping.

ufcfan2
03-09-2009, 04:05 AM
Matt's accomplishments and history alone give him a straight shot at Silva if he wants it. There's no doubt it would be an enormous PPV buy. Matt always wants to fight the best and Silva is the best.

It'd be interesting to see. Many people have taken down Silva fairly easily, but Silva's good on his back. I wonder how well he would fare against a much shorter frame like Matt's.
I agree with the first part of the statement for sure. I know on sherdog(i know that other site) I've stated the samething. I think matt being a loyal employee of the UFC along with what hes accomplished gives him a better chance at a shot.
I think its all upto Dana and what he thinks is best for the UFC. Now if Silva destroys Thale and then ends up destroying I'm assuming Hendo or Bisping, then maybe Matt could get a straight shot at him.
Now u throw Wandi in the MW division and I know Dana and fans would love to see a Wandi/Silva match.

VCURamFan
03-09-2009, 04:09 AM
I know Dana and fans would love to see a Wandi/Silva match.I love watching Wanderlei Silva fights!:Whistle:

foggy
03-09-2009, 04:12 AM
OK, so maybe the consensus is that he should get an immediate title shot if he makes the move.

It's pretty clear that Anderson Silva has PLOWED through the MW division with much ease. I was disappointed at the time RF lost to him the first time and really thought Franklin could learn from his mistakes and get his belt back, but it did not happen. I don't see anyone really beating Silva. What tools are all his opponents missing? What does Matt Hughes have that might make the fight different.

I'm thinking strength and explosiveness, but Silva is taller with a longer reach and an incredible ability to pick apart his opponent with both punches and knees.

:punch:

I

jignpig
03-09-2009, 04:15 AM
I love watching Wanderlei Silva fights!:Whistle:
my money is on silva!!....i bet he wins in a fight between wand and anderson....:Whistle:

rockdawg21
03-09-2009, 04:18 AM
OK, so maybe the consensus is that he should get an immediate title shot if he makes the move.

It's pretty clear that Anderson Silva has PLOWED through the MW division with much ease. I was disappointed at the time RF lost to him the first time and really thought Franklin could learn from his mistakes and get his belt back, but it did not happen. I don't see anyone really beating Silva. What tools are all his opponents missing? What does Matt Hughes have that might make the fight different.

I'm thinking strength and explosiveness, but Silva is taller with a longer reach and an incredible ability to pick apart his opponent with both punches and knees.

I
Silva's susceptible to submissions though. Hendo got him down a few times and was able to hold him for most of the 1st round, but Hendo isn't very well versed in submissions and Travis Lutter simply gassed.

My opinion is a great wrestler who's well versed in submissions would be Anderson's poison. Matt has that and even though he's smaller than Hendo and Lutter, I'm sure he's stronger than they are.

Miss Foxy
03-09-2009, 03:16 PM
That's an interesting question, but it's not relevant. GSP is no where near the caliber of champion that Matt was. GSP was only 4 title wins in 3 years. Matt racked up 9 wins in 5 years, plus a win against over-weight Joe Riggs & a domination of the legend Royce Gracie. As much as the sherdoggers wanna proclaim him an MMA god, GSP is light years away from accomplishing what Matt has.
Exactly highly anticipated and overrated...Slippery when wet...:unsure:

Miss Foxy
03-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Silva's susceptible to submissions though. Hendo got him down a few times and was able to hold him for most of the 1st round, but Hendo isn't very well versed in submissions and Travis Lutter simply gassed.

My opinion is a great wrestler who's well versed in submissions would be Anderson's poison. Matt has that and even though he's smaller than Hendo and Lutter, I'm sure he's stronger than they are. I agree Rockdawg21 a good wrestler would be very dangerous for Silva!! Strength and grappling would do the trick. :frantics:

billwilliams70
03-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Personally, I don't think that Matt should get an immediate title shot @ Silva. I don't think that BJ should have gotten the title shot, I don't think that Rampage should get a title shot, and I don't think that Brock Lesnar should have gotten a title shot (when he did).

I think a fighter, regardless of pedigree or history, should have to fight for the right to the number one contender in that division. While Matt's status as a champion is undeniable, I don't think it's a right that he has.......call me silly. I think that Maia deserves a shot at Silva before Matt does.

Now, does this mean that I think Matt's accomplishments as the UFC's WW champion mean nothing? No. I think he's the best champion that the UFC has ever had, but I don't think it has any bearing on him as a MW.

Just my two lincolns.....and then some; let the punches fly. :punch:

Later.

billwilliams70
03-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I agree Rockdawg21 a good wrestler would be very dangerous for Silva!! Strength and grappling would do the trick. :frantics:
I know that there are circumstances of the fight that people disagree with, but isn't Dan Henderson a good wrestler? Regardless of what happened early in the fight, and how certain events in the fight transpired, the end result is that Anderson Silva had his hands raised at the end of the fight.

Later.

Chuck
03-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Personally, I don't think that Matt should get an immediate title shot @ Silva. I don't think that BJ should have gotten the title shot, I don't think that Rampage should get a title shot, and I don't think that Brock Lesnar should have gotten a title shot (when he did).

I think a fighter, regardless of pedigree or history, should have to fight for the right to the number one contender in that division. While Matt's status as a champion is undeniable, I don't think it's a right that he has.......call me silly. I think that Maia deserves a shot at Silva before Matt does.

Now, does this mean that I think Matt's accomplishments as the UFC's WW champion mean nothing? No. I think he's the best champion that the UFC has ever had, but I don't think it has any bearing on him as a MW.

Later.
I agree completely.

GroundNPound
03-09-2009, 04:17 PM
At this point in time and without the title, there is no way Matt deserves an instant title shot.

And not to be mean, but I don't think Matt would stand much of a chance at this point his career. Alves and GSP both made Matt look a little small...imagine what Silva and Henderson would look like when they cut from over 200 lbs.....Again, not being mean, just realistic.

And you could look at it like Matt would be Silva's poison with his wrestling and submissions or you could look at like Silva is Matt's worst nightmare. A guy who can move well and avoid takedowns while using his tremendous reach and probably the best striking in the division. Sounds like a short night for Matt.

At this point in his career there are plenty of tough fights at 170 if Matt wanted them. Matt, IMO, would need to beat Alves to even think about moving up. If he can't beat him then why would you think he can beat the middleweights?

rockdawg21
03-09-2009, 04:40 PM

Later.
I agree with that completely, but they opened that can of worms a long time ago, might as well give Matt the shot if he wants it. At least he's more decorated than any of the others you've mentioned above.
At this point in time and without the title, there is no way Matt deserves an instant title shot.

And not to be mean, but I don't think Matt would stand much of a chance at this point his career. Alves and GSP both made Matt look a little small...imagine what Silva and Henderson would look like when they cut from over 200 lbs.....Again, not being mean, just realistic.

And you could look at it like Matt would be Silva's poison with his wrestling and submissions or you could look at like Silva is Matt's worst nightmare. A guy who can move well and avoid takedowns while using his tremendous reach and probably the best striking in the division. Sounds like a short night for Matt.

At this point in his career there are plenty of tough fights at 170 if Matt wanted them. Matt, IMO, would need to beat Alves to even think about moving up. If he can't beat him then why would you think he can beat the middleweights?
Speed kills, ask Oscar De La Hoya. Granted this is MMA and not boxing, but Silva hasn't fought somebody as compact, quick, and as powerful as Matt. No doubt, Silva can KO Matt and is much better in the stand-up, but I still think if Matt can get him on the ground, he might get away with the G&P or a submission.

rearnakedchoke
03-09-2009, 04:48 PM

Later.

I don't see how you don't think Rampage deserves a shot. He lost a razor close decision that could have gone either way. He has beaten Wanderlei and Jardine. Two top 10 lhw's in the world .. people talk about lyoto, but the first top 10 guy he beat was silva ... soko was his biggest win before that and we have seen how he turned out ... i say make lyoto fight someone in the top ten again like forrest before he gets a shot ....

Miss Foxy
03-09-2009, 04:48 PM
I know that there are circumstances of the fight that people disagree with, but isn't Dan Henderson a good wrestler? Regardless of what happened early in the fight, and how certain events in the fight transpired, the end result is that Anderson Silva had his hands raised at the end of the fight.

Later.True~true no doubt about that, but I believe Matt is a better wrestler. Maybe its just because I have faith that he could do it and also that Silva is not invincible like he's made out to be. And that people seem to think that Matt isn't capable of doing it at this point in his career.

Llamafighter
03-09-2009, 05:48 PM
I would love to see this. Remember how dominant Matt was when he did the catch weight fight with Gracie. I think his takedowns would neutralize Silva's striking. I think this would be a fun fight!

Llamafighter
03-09-2009, 05:54 PM

Would matt get to fight at middleweight against Alves this time? I mean Alves got to fight him at LHW...and Matt had to stay at the contracted weight!
I also think Matt has the perfect training partner for preparing for Silva in Robbie. I'm sure Chuck would come down and help out too.

CAVEMAN
03-09-2009, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=GroundNPound]

Alves and GSP both made Matt look a little small...imagine what Silva and Henderson would look like when they cut from over 200 lbs.....Again, not being mean, just realistic.

[QUOTE]

I think Matt would be alot bigger at 185. He certainly would not have to cut as much which can take a toll on a persons body. And it is my understanding that Matt walks around naturally at 190-195. Nate would probably be able to confirm that......But I definitely think that Matt could be a very strong presence at 185.

rockdawg21
03-09-2009, 06:09 PM
I think Matt would be alot bigger at 185. He certainly would not have to cut as much which can take a toll on a persons body. And it is my understanding that Matt walks around naturally at 190-195. Nate would probably be able to confirm that......But I definitely think that Matt could be a very strong presence at 185.
The man himself said:
185-187 most of the time
See post #8:
http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384

billwilliams70
03-09-2009, 06:11 PM
I agree with that completely, but they opened that can of worms a long time ago, might as well give Matt the shot if he wants it. At least he's more decorated than any of the others you've mentioned above.
Yes, it is a can of worms that the "UFC Gods" have opened up....giving "Divine Rights Title Shots" to fighters that for one reason or another don't deserve them.

Heck, let's get Dan "The Beast" Severn a title shot with Brock Lesnar just because he may want it.
I don't see how you don't think Rampage deserves a shot. He lost a razor close decision that could have gone either way. He has beaten Wanderlei and Jardine. Two top 10 lhw's in the world .. people talk about lyoto, but the first top 10 guy he beat was silva ... soko was his biggest win before that and we have seen how he turned out ... i say make lyoto fight someone in the top ten again like forrest before he gets a shot ....
I sent you a PM with my response to this because I didn't feel a sidebar debate regarding Rampage's title shot was needed in this thread.
True~true no doubt about that, but I believe Matt is a better wrestler. Maybe its just because I have faith that he could do it and also that Silva is not invincible like he's made out to be. And that people seem to think that Matt isn't capable of doing it at this point in his career.
I'm not saying that Matt's not capable at this point in his career Miss Foxy, I'm saying that he doesn't deserve a title shot for the MW title at this point in time........I also feel that Henderson is just as good of a wrestler for his weight class as Matt was.
I would love to see this. Remember how dominant Matt was when he did the catch weight fight with Gracie. I think his takedowns would neutralize Silva's striking. I think this would be a fun fight!
Comparing an aging Royce Gracie to today's Anderson Silva is crazy. Anderson Silva would destroy Royce Gracie now.....but what does that really tell us?

Look. I'm a big Matt Hughes fan, but I just don't think that he deserves a MW title shot because of his WW accomplishments. He hasn't won a fight since 3 March 2007 (two years ago). I'm not hatin', nor am I being disrespectful to Matt's accomplishments as the WW champion, but that's a fact. I'm really looking forward to 23 May so Matt Hughes can erase the two loss streak and destroy Matt Sera, but Sera is certainly not a stepping stone to the title that Anderson Silva holds.

Later.

Miss Foxy
03-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Yes, it is a can of worms that the "UFC Gods" have opened up....giving "Divine Rights Title Shots" to fighters that for one reason or another don't deserve them.

Heck, let's get Dan "The Beast" Severn a title shot with Brock Lesnar just because he may want it.

I sent you a PM with my response to this because I didn't feel a sidebar debate regarding Rampage's title shot was needed in this thread.

I'm not saying that Matt's not capable at this point in his career Miss Foxy, I'm saying that he doesn't deserve a title shot for the MW title at this point in time........I also feel that Henderson is just as good of a wrestler for his weight class as Matt was.

Comparing an aging Royce Gracie to today's Anderson Silva is crazy. Anderson Silva would destroy Royce Gracie now.....but what does that really tell us?

Look. I'm a big Matt Hughes fan, but I just don't think that he deserves a MW title shot because of his WW accomplishments. He hasn't won a fight since 3 March 2007 (two years ago). I'm not hatin', nor am I being disrespectful to Matt's accomplishments as the WW champion, but that's a fact. I'm really looking forward to 23 May so Matt Hughes can erase the two loss streak and destroy Matt Sera, but Sera is certainly not a stepping stone to the title that Anderson Silva holds.

Later. Im not taking it that your hating on Matt or nothing everyone is entitled to they're respectable opinions so its cool on my end. I just feel that he is capable of doing it so only time will tell and your opinions are respected.

Miss Foxy
03-09-2009, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=GroundNPound]

Alves and GSP both made Matt look a little small...imagine what Silva and Henderson would look like when they cut from over 200 lbs.....Again, not being mean, just realistic.

[QUOTE]

I think Matt would be alot bigger at 185. He certainly would not have to cut as much which can take a toll on a persons body. And it is my understanding that Matt walks around naturally at 190-195. Nate would probably be able to confirm that......But I definitely think that Matt could be a very strong presence at 185. Love your choice of words "a very strong presence at 185."

Llamafighter
03-09-2009, 06:40 PM

Later.

Matt Hughes is a superstar in the MMA world. If he wants to fight Anderson Silva for the title, you know what? he should get the opportunity. He lost his last two fights...so what? what's your point? A lot of guys have lost to Alves and GSP.
IMO you put Matt at 185 and he's a force to be reckoned with, jsut like he still is at 170.
The problem is that he's not fighting as often (due to injury, and schedule changes) so he loses two and a lot of time passes before he gets another fight, and people get MMA amnesia.
Matt Hughes is a badass! plain and simple!

bradwright
03-09-2009, 06:52 PM
True~true no doubt about that, but I believe Matt is a better wrestler. Maybe its just because I have faith that he could do it and also that Silva is not invincible like he's made out to be. And that people seem to think that Matt isn't capable of doing it at this point in his career.

Silva is far from invincible and Lutter proved that already,(even without actually winning the fight)
the problems with Matt fighting Silva are the obvious ones,

first off there is no way Matt could win a stand up battle with Silva,
he has a huge advantage in the striking no matter who he faces(just ask Franklin,i'm sure he would agree)so Matt would have to get this thing to the ground as fast as possible,
once he got Silva down he would have to move to half guard or side control very quickly,
getting caught in Silvas guard is almost as dangerous as standing with him,

so in my opinion,(and yes Dave i realize my opinion means squat to you)
if Matt can get him down without taking to much damage and pass Silvas guard then Then i think Matt GNPs him for a while,softens him up and submits him,
but if he has trouble getting him to the ground and Silva finds his range then (no disrespect to Matt)it will be a very short night,Silvas reach advantage and his striking ability will be to much for Matt to handle.

NateR
03-09-2009, 06:53 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/14207/matt-hughes-not-ruling-out-a-future-move-to-middleweight.mma

That would be interesting to see. I don't think he should get an immediate title shot with Anderson Silva though. Isn't Wanderlei Silva moving down to Middleweight? That would be an interesting match? Or is Wanderlei fighting Franklin? Who could Matt fight in the MW division?

Going back to the original article, I think this website may be guilty of inventing quotes to make their own news. This isn't the first time this has happened.

I don't believe that Matt actually said this:

"I still would toy with the idea of moving up to 185 (pounds) to face Silva," Hughes said. "But I've got to square away things in my weight class before I do that, though."

I talked to him about it today and he said that he did toy with the idea a couple of years ago, but has no plans whatever to move to Middleweight at this time.

Miss Foxy
03-09-2009, 07:17 PM
:stirthepot: Going back to the original article, I think this website may be guilty of inventing quotes to make their own news. This isn't the first time this has happened.

I talked to him about it today and he said that he did toy with the idea a couple of years ago, but has no plans whatever to move to Middleweight at this time.
Thanks for shedding some light on this!! And go freakin figure his words or comments from the past always get twisted or re-surfaced just to cause a stir!!

rockdawg21
03-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Going back to the original article, I think this website may be guilty of inventing quotes to make their own news. This isn't the first time this has happened.

Heresy heresy :tongue0011:

Crisco
03-09-2009, 08:03 PM
I know Matt said he was not thinking about it

but I would love to see Matt fight more( I know I'm selfish)

I just miss seeing our guy in the octagon... Who knows maybe with his knee rehabbed and a thorough stomping of Matt Serra might rekindle that title run fire.

Figures I had to pick the guy that cares more about his family then fighting what a rip off pfft.

(totally kidding :tongue0011: )

Miss Foxy
03-09-2009, 08:04 PM
I know Matt said he was not thinking about it

but I would love to see Matt fight more( I know I'm selfish)

I just miss seeing our guy in the octagon... Who knows maybe with his knee rehabbed and a thorough stomping of Matt Serra might rekindle that title run fire.

Figures I had to pick the guy that cares more about his family then fighting what a rip off pfft.

(totally kidding :tongue0011: ) Ahh that was cute!! And yes I am with you on missing one of my heroes in the octagon and I am selfish with you!!! :wink:

foggy
03-09-2009, 08:45 PM

Hmm... it makes me question their future posts from now on. There is certainly enough MMA news floating around right now for them to NOT have to just go and make up news.

Supposedly they are the 'Yahoo' MMA partner.

I wonder why they'd do something like that?

Preach
03-09-2009, 08:54 PM
huh like you really talked to Matt lol now thats funnyGoing back to the original article, I think this website may be guilty of inventing quotes to make their own news. This isn't the first time this has happened.

Crisco
03-09-2009, 08:58 PM

Yea who the **** do you think you are?

His webmaster or something?

Miss Foxy
03-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Are you guys kidding with Nate? Im confused

NateR
03-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Hmm... it makes me question their future posts from now on. There is certainly enough MMA news floating around right now for them to NOT have to just go and make up news.

Supposedly they are the 'Yahoo' MMA partner.

I wonder why they'd do something like that?

Okay, I talked to him again and this time I showed him the actual quote and he does recall saying that. :doh:

However, he still has no real plans to move to MW.

Crisco
03-09-2009, 09:21 PM

Of course.

Nate has one of the best sense of humors on the board...

Just a pain in the butt to make him laugh...

You see what I did there??:ninja:

Miss Foxy
03-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Of course.

Nate has one of the best sense of humors on the board...

Just a pain in the butt to make him laugh...

You see what I did there??:ninja: lol I was like omg how mean and rude! haha.. silly!! :tongue0011:

Crisco
03-09-2009, 09:27 PM
lol I was like omg how mean and rude! haha.. silly!! :tongue0011:

Rule number 1 for online posting don't insult the admin =)

CAVEMAN
03-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Rule number 1 for online posting don't insult the admin =)

:laugh:

rockdawg21
03-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Okay, I talked to him again and this time I showed him the actual quote and he does recall saying that. :doh:

However, he still has no real plans to move to MW.
Tell Matt that drugs are bad m'kay?!

atomdanger
03-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I don't see why Matt shouldn't get a title shot right away. BJ Penn's first fight at Welterweight was a title fight and Matt's list of accomplishments far outweigh BJ's. Also, Randy Couture lost to Chuck twice in a row at LHW, retired, then came back to an instant title shot in the Heavyweight division. So, it's not unheard of.

Exactly... and to be honest I would MUCH rather see Matt and Anderson fight than I would Nate take another title shot, or wait for somebody else at the MW division to get built up.
There isn't really anybody at 185 that I am exited about fighting Anderson. I think Matt could give him some serious trouble.

p.s.
I think Matt would give anybody at 185 trouble, there are some tough fights there, but there really isn't anybody like Matt at 185.

bradwright
03-09-2009, 11:54 PM
dont let these guys bamboozle you,,
Nate doesn't allow anyone to kid with Nate,:ninja:

Hughes_GOAT
03-10-2009, 12:33 AM

oh sure he does. you just have to mix it in with some Star Wars or Narnia :laugh:

Preach
03-10-2009, 12:42 AM
oh sure he does. you just have to mix it in with some Star Wars or Narnia :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 01:02 AM
dont let these guys bamboozle you,,

Honestly I don't think he couldn't be as close to Matt as he is without being able to laugh at himself and take a joke. Nate has a very wicked sense of humor. He is just very choosy with when and where he shows it on here!
That's my observation.:ninja:

billwilliams70
03-10-2009, 02:41 AM
Matt Hughes is a superstar in the MMA world. If he wants to fight Anderson Silva for the title, you know what? he should get the opportunity. He lost his last two fights...so what? what's your point? A lot of guys have lost to Alves and GSP.
IMO you put Matt at 185 and he's a force to be reckoned with, jsut like he still is at 170.
The problem is that he's not fighting as often (due to injury, and schedule changes) so he loses two and a lot of time passes before he gets another fight, and people get MMA amnesia.
Matt Hughes is a badass! plain and simple!
I don't know who you're trying to convince that Matt Hughes is a badass and that he's a legend in the MMA world. THERE IS NOT A DOUBT IN MY MIND ABOUT THAT. Matt Hughes is a UFC Hall of Famer, but it's my firm belief and opinion, that NOBODY in the UFC deserves an immediate title shot based upon pedigree or status. Plain and simple! I have no doubt that Matt could be successful in the MW division, that's not the point that I was trying to make.

Again, I'm a fan of Matt Hughes, so don't get me wrong, I just don't think that he would deserve an immediate shot at the MW title should he ever move up. I'm curious, as to what Matt himself feels about the situation.

Later.

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 03:03 AM
I don't know who you're trying to convince that Matt Hughes is a badass and that he's a legend in the MMA world. THERE IS NOT A DOUBT IN MY MIND ABOUT THAT. Matt Hughes is a UFC Hall of Famer, but it's my firm belief and opinion, that NOBODY in the UFC deserves an immediate title shot based upon pedigree or status. Plain and simple! I have no doubt that Matt could be successful in the MW division, that's not the point that I was trying to make.

Again, I'm a fan of Matt Hughes, so don't get me wrong, I just don't think that he would deserve an immediate shot at the MW title should he ever move up. I'm curious, as to what Matt himself feels about the situation.

Later.

I guess in this case we'll disagree. I'm typically against instant title fights but I think Matt is in a different catagory.
that's what opinions are for right?
I still want to see Matt fight Lindland at MW.
Does anyone remember what fight it was (I think TriggII) that Matt called Lindland out for talking smack?

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 02:25 PM
http://www.mmanews.com/ufc/Matt-Hughes-Not-Ruling-Out-Move-Up-In-Weight.html
More on Matt's move to MW

Chuck
03-10-2009, 02:58 PM
http://www.mmanews.com/ufc/Matt-Hughes-Not-Ruling-Out-Move-Up-In-Weight.html
More on Matt's move to MW

Nice find... not sure it's the best ides though... :huh:

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Nice find... not sure it's the best idea though... :huh:

I slept on it last night and I still think it would be cool!
I would have loved to see him fight Tanner.

Chuck
03-10-2009, 03:37 PM
I slept on it last night and I still think it would be cool!
I would have loved to see him fight Tanner.

I can see that... but so much of fights is about styles... MMA has evolved a lot in the last 2 years and Anderson is a great example of that evolution.

Tanner unfortunately was not.

Matt vs. Tanner at MW would be a different story then Matt vs. Anderson.

rearnakedchoke
03-10-2009, 09:27 PM
I honestly think Matt retires when he beats serra ... I know nothing is official, but really, he has nothing to prove, his kids are growing up, his gym(s) are doing great, so why bother fighting when there is nothing left to prove ... Of course he is competitive and probably loves fighting, but we shall see. I am calling his retirement if he beats serra (now before i get flamed, he will beat serra, bar some freak accident like slipping in the octagon, hurting his knee again .. something like that) ...

bry241173
03-12-2009, 12:31 AM
I've had a think about this for a while before replying.
I am and have always been 100% Team Hughes.
But, a fight against Anderson Silva cannot be a good thing.
Matt will have a 4-5 inch height disadvantage, no doubt a sizeable reach difference too.
And let's be honest 2009 matt is very different to a 2002 matt.

BJ Penn looked vastly outsized by GSP, and the same would apply if this fight ever happened.

Matt has nothing to prove, and just the one jerk to put in his place, and i'll be there to see it May 23rd!

Tyburn
03-12-2009, 01:48 AM
Hello. Matt Serra first. :angry:

I know he's anoying but we shouldnt forget him :mellow:

NateR
03-12-2009, 02:40 AM
This is quickly spinning out of control. To be absolutely clear: While Matt may have considered a move to middleweight in the past, he currently has absolutely zero plans to change weight classes. People are reading too much into Matt's comments and getting ahead of themselves here. Right now, Matt's focus is 100% on Matt Serra.

Preach
03-12-2009, 02:56 AM
Nate when will he debut at MW right after Serra or what:ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :w00t: :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
03-12-2009, 03:16 AM
WAR MATT! Just watch out for the low blows and eye pokes! He's going to be a desperate man! :scared0011:

This is quickly spinning out of control. To be absolutely clear: While Matt may have considered a move to middleweight in the past, he currently has absolutely zero plans to change weight classes. People are reading too much into Matt's comments and getting ahead of themselves here. Right now, Matt's focus is 100% on Matt Serra.

Llamafighter
03-12-2009, 03:34 AM

How much DOES he bench press?!

:ninja:

MattHughesRocks
03-12-2009, 03:59 AM
I SWEAR I just came in here to post that exact same thing! :w00t:

How much DOES he bench press?!

:ninja:

Crisco
03-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Matt Hughes doesn't Bench press... Bench press Matt hugheses

Owned

rockdawg21
03-12-2009, 02:30 PM
I've had a think about this for a while before replying.
I am and have always been 100% Team Hughes.
But, a fight against Anderson Silva cannot be a good thing.
Matt will have a 4-5 inch height disadvantage, no doubt a sizeable reach difference too.
And let's be honest 2009 matt is very different to a 2002 matt.

BJ Penn looked vastly outsized by GSP, and the same would apply if this fight ever happened.

Matt has nothing to prove, and just the one jerk to put in his place, and i'll be there to see it May 23rd!
You're forgetting the strength factor. BJ Penn isn't strong at all. He was incredibly overpowered by GSP, it wasn't just the size. Matt is definitely stronger than Silva even though he may be giving up 20 pounds. Silva's already been exposed that his takedown defense is lackluster, as demonstrated by out-of-shape Lutter and Henderson. Lutter lacked cardio and Henderson lacked submissions. I'm not saying that guarantees a win for Matt, but from what I can tell, that's Silva's poison - a powerful wrestler with submission skills.

Llamafighter
03-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I SWEAR I just came in here to post that exact same thing! :w00t:

great minds...:wink:

Neezar
03-12-2009, 02:40 PM

When have we ever needed truth or probability behind our debates? That is clearly not a requirement around here. :laugh:

Crisco
03-12-2009, 02:48 PM
When have we ever needed truth or probability behind our debates? That is clearly not a requirement around here. :laugh:

QFT...

Facts pfft

Llamafighter
03-12-2009, 02:57 PM

What are you talking about?! All our debates are based on fact!!!

see I'm doing it again;)

MattHughesRocks
03-12-2009, 03:28 PM
No kidding! Nathan quit raining on our parade! We're trying to come up with some good fights here:w00t:

atomdanger
03-12-2009, 06:49 PM

WTF

rockdawg21
03-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Perhaps it's time we just ban NateR from this thread. We're trying to have fun debating this idea, but you keep ruining it! :hissyfit:

Ok, rant over, WAR HUGHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: