PDA

View Full Version : French Jets Shoot Down Libyan Warplane as Qaddafi Violates No-Fly Zone

VCURamFan
03-24-2011, 03:50 PM
From FoxNews.com:

French fighter jets shot down a Libyan warplane, amid allegations that forces loyal to leader Col. Muammar Qaddafi violated the country's UN-sanctioned no-fly zone.

The Libyan warplane, a Soko G-2 Galeb, was flying over Misrata prior to being shot down by the French jets, a U.S. defense official told Fox News on Thursday. The incident is believed to be the first time a Libyan jet was sent into Libyan airspace since the coalition bombing began, and the first time a warplane was shot down since the coalition began bombing Libya.

During a press conference in Paris, French military officials said its fighter jets attacked an air base 150 miles inland from the Mediterranean coast overnight. The coalition airstrikes against Libya had been a "success," Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said Thursday.

A Soko G-2 Galeb, according to The Encyclopedia of Modern Warplanes and other aviation sources, is a two-seat, single-engine ground-attack and reconnaissance aircraft developed in Yugoslavia. The plane, which can be equipped with light bombs and rockets, is capable of reaching a maximum speed of 440 knots, roughly the same speed as a passenger jet. Production began in 1964 and ceased in 1985.

On Wednesday, NATO ships began patrolling off Libya's coast as airstrikes, missiles and rebels forced Qaddafi's tanks to roll back from two key western cities, including one that was the hometown of army officers who tried to overthrow him in 1993.

Libya's opposition took haphazard steps to form a government in the east, as they and the U.S.-led force protecting them girded for prolonged and costly fighting. Despite disorganization among the rebels ó and confusion over who would ultimately run the international operation ó coalition airstrikes and missiles seemed to thwart Qaddafi's efforts to rout his opponents, at least for now.
Explosions could be heard as anti-aircraft fire lit up the sky in Tripoli late Wednesday.

Coalition aircraft hit a fuel depot in Tripoli, a senior government official told reporters in a late-night news conference. Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Kaim at first denied reports that Qaddafi's compound in Tripoli was hit earlier, then bactracked and said he had no information about that. Other targets Wednesday were near Benghazi and Misrata, he said.

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates has acknowledged there is no clear end to the international military enforcement of the no-fly zone over Libya, but President Barack Obama said it "absolutely" will not lead to a U.S. land invasion.

Once again, we're letting the French do our fighting for us. You think Obama's plan is to sit this one out as much as possible so if it goes to hell, he can say "Wasn't me, the Frnech did it!"?

rockdawg21
03-24-2011, 04:32 PM
From FoxNews.com:

Once again, we're letting the French do our fighting for us. You think Obama's plan is to sit this one out as much as possible so if it goes to hell, he can say "Wasn't me, the Frnech did it!"?
Once again? Ever hear of D-Day?

I think Obama's plan is to let the French fight, we stand on the sidelines although we didn't do anything, then we lay claim to victory just like the French lay claim to victory although they didn't do anything. It's our way to get revenge on the French!

VCURamFan
03-24-2011, 04:38 PM

I think Obama's plan is to let the French fight, we stand on the sidelines although we didn't do anything, then we lay claim to victory just like the French lay claim to victory although they didn't do anything. It's our way to get revenge on the French!
I know that historically we're doing all the fighting, what I was alluding to was the fact that Obama let the French go first to begin this whole thing. He's hoping that they'll get the job down & he can say "See? I joined that coalition!", whereas if they fail it's "Well, that's not what I would have done, but they were leading it..."

County Mike
03-24-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm gonna pick up some FREEDOM FRIES after work.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
03-25-2011, 01:10 AM
The French military actually found some courage and is taking a leadership role! WHAT'S THE WORLD COMEING TO! If this keeps up I may have to give up on my French jokes!

Dethbob
03-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Iím glad to see it. Itís about time Old Europe started packing a pair, instead of letting us do their dirty work and then pot shotting us the whole time. If it turns out that is what Obama actually intended, I may start almost respecting him.

Tyburn
03-25-2011, 06:35 PM

The French have never claimed victory for D-Day...and Neither, Frankly, should the United States...D-Day only happened because a tiny little Island called Britain was left fighting the whole might of Adolf Hitlers Europe!

The French Rolled over and played dead, the Americans pretended they didnt know who Adolf Hitler was...until the Japanese enlightened them...then...all of a sudden America saves the day??

I think thats niether true...nor something to be proud of...Dunkirk would never have happened if the Americans had helpped Europe. D-Day only happened because of things like Pearl Harbour...nothing to do with this bond of friendship that rivisionists like to say...your WHOLE super power status is based on the fact you lost less then anyone else during the war, thereby appearing over night more or less as superior...a superiority which is under threat less then 80 years later...ohh and all the support you gave England during the war...you then sent us the bill for in the mid 1940s...so it wasnt the kindness that we thought it was.

I dislike the french as much as any man...but its absolutely correct that this, and future missions are a SHARED responsibility...and quite frankly, if its anything in Arabia, then YES, America should actually take a back seat role to stop the Arabs from getting even more excited then they already are. The days of going gun-ho on your own are well and truely over. And Rightly so.

The good news is...next week NATO will take over command. Libya has to understand, this is not another American invasion...it is a WORLD response from a whole host of Nations, Sanctioned on every single level of National and International Law....besides...if any of our countries really cared about Libya we wouldnt be buying their oil, or doing trade deals on arms with them :laugh: YES ARMS TRADE...I recall someone in Parliament saying that the Arab League should take control, because it is over their land, their problem, and WE KNOW they have the resources...how do we know? coz we gave them the technology :rolleyes:

County Mike
03-25-2011, 06:39 PM
D-Day only happened because a tiny little Island called Britain was left fighting the whole might of Adolf Hitlers Europe!

Oh puhlease!

Tyburn
03-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Iím glad to see it. Itís about time Old Europe started packing a pair, instead of letting us do their dirty work and then pot shotting us the whole time. If it turns out that is what Obama actually intended, I may start almost respecting him.

Old Europe might have existed had America done the decent thing in 1939.

Its now the European Union...and its nothing but a processing machine. So we defer to the United Nations...something set up jointly by Old Europe and America...which the United States has tried to disown ever since because their design brief was so successful it threatens US Soverignty so many feel...that...on an International Level is EXACTLY what its supposed to do.

...and if you are talking about Iraq or Afghanistan by "dirty work" then you will note, that isnt Old Europes Work...infact, it wasnt even Old Europes Wish in the first place....if your talking about the financial aspect, then I'd say welcome to being a Super power...when the boot was on the other foot, and we had issues you backed out of the Empire...now you might know how we feel...at least you had the option of escape...we dont have that option. Thats the whole issue in terms of the Euro-Vision...noone can control America...so in a sence, why bother?

If its in her interest she supports...if its not in her interest she avoids...and if she wants to do something that is in noones interest but her own...well you just try and stop her....its not like we could stop you guys anyway. So its well harsh to blame all these conflicts on us, now that they are exactly the way we said they would be....going on forever, getting no closer to decisive victory, at huge expence financially, and loosing decent, and hard working patriots who have no choice but to do as their told and end up getting killed for it.

Tyburn
03-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Oh puhlease!

Well...there was Russia...but I thought bringing up your association with Commies...who you sorta fought side by side with at the time, might leave a nasty after taste due to the cold war era that subsequently followed it.

Miss Foxy
03-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Well...there was Russia...but I thought bringing up your association with Commies...who you sorta fought side by side with at the time, might leave a nasty after taste due to the cold war era that subsequently followed it.

ouch! Tyburn your feisty today!! lol..:tongue0011:

County Mike
03-25-2011, 07:01 PM

You can't change history. Russia carried a huge part of fighting Germany, regardless of our relationship afterwards.

Dethbob
03-25-2011, 09:15 PM

Its now the European Union...and its nothing but a processing machine. So we defer to the United Nations...something set up jointly by Old Europe and America...which the United States has tried to disown ever since because their design brief was so successful it threatens US Soverignty so many feel...that...on an International Level is EXACTLY what its supposed to do.

...and if you are talking about Iraq or Afghanistan by "dirty work" then you will note, that isnt Old Europes Work...infact, it wasnt even Old Europes Wish in the first place....if your talking about the financial aspect, then I'd say welcome to being a Super power...when the boot was on the other foot, and we had issues you backed out of the Empire...now you might know how we feel...at least you had the option of escape...we dont have that option. Thats the whole issue in terms of the Euro-Vision...noone can control America...so in a sence, why bother?

If its in her interest she supports...if its not in her interest she avoids...and if she wants to do something that is in noones interest but her own...well you just try and stop her....its not like we could stop you guys anyway. So its well harsh to blame all these conflicts on us, now that they are exactly the way we said they would be....going on forever, getting no closer to decisive victory, at huge expence financially, and loosing decent, and hard working patriots who have no choice but to do as their told and end up getting killed for it.

I wasn't lumping Britain in with 'Old Europe' (you are welcome to if you like), Britain has shown plenty of heroism and carried her fare share this last decade, much to the chagrin of her more liberal elements. As for the UN being 'so successful', it was never intended to threaten any nations sovereignty, it's mission was to prevent war, a mission it has failed to do repeatedly because of its members 'not wishing' to confront growing threats, but rather go along to get along and justify larger and larger budgets.

What? Weren't we funneling millions in funds and materiel and thousands of volunteers into Britainís defense in 1939? Are you saying we shouldn't have?