PDA

View Full Version : Why is there no looting in Japan

DonnaMaria
03-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Thought this was interesting

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/16/why-is-there-no-looting-in-japan-in-earthquake-aftermath/

Why Is There No Looting in Japan in Earthquake Aftermath?Mar 16, 2011 10:03 AM

Lauren Frayer
Contributor

Flash back to any natural disaster in recent memory, and among the scenes of homes in ruin and families weeping are often all-too-familiar images of looting: Desperate victims smashing windows and stealing food, clothing or electronics -- whether out of greed or necessity. Think about Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, or last year's earthquakes in Haiti and Chile.

But there have been no such scenes reported in Japan, five days after a 9.0-magnitude earthquake and the tsunami it triggered, which swept several northern towns off the map. The country seems to be clinging together socially, without the kind of unhelpful chaos that's come to color such disasters elsewhere.

The question many people are asking is, why?

John Swenson-Wright, a Japan expert at London's Chatham House think tank, believes the answer has to do with Japanese culture.

"There's a general sense of social responsibility that's very fundamental to Japan. Part of that is self-regulation on the part of individuals, part of it is a society in which people are very conscious of their reputations in the eyes of their neighbors and colleagues," Swenson-Wright told AOL News today. "They're reluctant to do anything that would invite criticism."

Another factor is Japanese people's deep-rooted sense of honor, embodied in the words today of their emperor, who rarely speaks publicly and stays out of politics.

"I hope from the bottom of my heart that the people will, hand in hand, treat each other with compassion and overcome these difficult times," Japanese Emperor Akihito said today. Local TV stations cut away from quake and tsunami coverage to broadcast the emperor's speech.

Tsunami Relief: Network for Good

"I am deeply hurt by the grievous situation in the affected areas," the emperor said. "The number of deceased and missing increases by the day. We cannot know how many victims there will be."

But such brotherly love in the face of disaster hasn't always been the case in Japan.

In 1923, what came to be known as the Great Kanto earthquake -- a 7.9-magnitude tremor -- killed more than 100,000 Japanese, devastating Tokyo and the port city of Yokohama. Afterward, rumors swirled about the actual amount of destruction, and ethnic minorities, especially Koreans, bizarrely became scapegoats for the disaster.

One rumor that swept Tokyo was that Koreans were to blame for looting, robbery and arson after the quake. Vigilante mobs began stalking Koreans across Japan, in many cases beating them dead in broad daylight. Hundreds of Japanese were later charged with murder.

"The population at the time embarked on an odious massacre in which tens of thousands of Koreans were butchered," Swenson-Wright said of the 1923 quake and its aftermath. "Nothing like that is going to happen in this current crisis, but there is a kind of extreme dimension to a society that's quite conformist and has a very profound sense of who is part of the society and who is deemed not.

"It's precisely those bonds of close kinship and connection between people that helps explain why people have not taken advantage of the situation [for ill purposes]," Swenson-Wright said. "Also, simply the scale of this event has traumatized people -- the shock of seeing entire communities wiped out overnight."

Sponsored LinksJapan's orderly reaction to Mother Nature's forced chaos is something that has surprised many Americans.

"In the U.S. we can't even win an NBA or NFL championship without violence breaking out," James E. Bodenheimer wrote in a column Tuesday for North Carolina's Gaston Gazette newspaper. "What is the secret that the Japanese hold? Is it honor -- 'saving face'? Is it respect -- 'honor your elders'?

"I, personally, wish to learn from the Japanese people's reactions," Bodenheimer wrote. "I am heartbroken for them. ... Yet fortified by them. Go figure."

rearnakedchoke
03-17-2011, 03:47 PM
japan knows they are a hot bed for earthquakes .. they have some of the best if not the best emergency preparedness plans in the world ... as soon as the quake happened there are videos of people being handed care packages etc ... haiti, chile etc don't have near as good plans, so people become desperate and loot ... some morons takes stuff out of greed, but most is out of necesscity ...

Spiritwalker
03-17-2011, 03:48 PM
"In the U.S. we can't even win an NBA or NFL championship without violence breaking out," James E. Bodenheimer wrote in a column Tuesday for North Carolina's Gaston Gazette newspaper. "What is the secret that the Japanese hold? Is it honor -- 'saving face'? Is it respect -- 'honor your elders'?

"I, personally, wish to learn from the Japanese people's reactions," Bodenheimer wrote. "I am heartbroken for them. ... Yet fortified by them. Go figure."

I have actually met this writer.. nice guy....

And he is 100% correct..

Spiritwalker
03-17-2011, 03:49 PM
japan knows they are a hot bed for earthquakes .. they have some of the best if not the best emergency preparedness plans in the world ... as soon as the quake happened there are videos of people being handed care packages etc ... haiti, chile etc don't have near as good plans, so people become desperate and loot ... some takes stuff out of necesscity , but most are morons and it is out of greed ...

I fixed that fer ya...

Rev
03-17-2011, 05:30 PM
japan knows they are a hot bed for earthquakes .. they have some of the best if not the best emergency preparedness plans in the world ... as soon as the quake happened there are videos of people being handed care packages etc ... haiti, chile etc don't have near as good plans, so people become desperate and loot ... some morons takes stuff out of greed, but most is out of necesscity ...

Sorry chief. In 3rd world countries this might be true, but I lived through Katrina and saw the looting first hand. The idiots looting in America did it out of oportunity. The difference between them (Japan) and us (New Orleans) is the quality of people. I know this for a fact.

Bonnie
03-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Sorry chief. In 3rd world countries this might be true, but I lived through Katrina and saw the looting first hand. The idiots looting in America did it out of oportunity. The difference between them (Japan) and us (New Orleans) is the quality of people. I know this for a fact.

It was just mindboggling to watch that after Katrina, Rev. I could totally understand them taking food, water, diapers... but big tvs and electronics. :blink: All I thought was, "And where exactly are you going to plug that in?" :blink: It was sad to see that happening on top of everything else.

I think it is a difference in the cultures...the people. Obviously honor and respect hold great store with the Japanese people whereas in other places, for some, it's all about "self" and taking advantage of the situation and others' misfortune.

Rev
03-17-2011, 07:03 PM
It was just mindboggling to watch that after Katrina, Rev. I could totally understand them taking food, water, diapers... but big tvs and electronics. :blink: All I thought was, "And where exactly are you going to plug that in?" :blink: It was sad to see that happening on top of everything else.

I think it is a difference in the cultures...the people. Obviously honor and respect hold great store with the Japanese people whereas in other places, for some, it's all about "self" and taking advantage of the situation and others' misfortune.

We have a saying about the "needs of New Orleans" since Katrina.
Most people "need" food and water, New Orleans "needs" big screens and basketball shoes".
sad

Bonnie
03-17-2011, 07:11 PM
We have a saying about the "needs of New Orleans" since Katrina.
Most people "need" food and water, New Orleans "needs" big screens and basketball shoes".
sad

Yeah, well, ya know a lot of those New Orleanians are now Houstonians and Texans. Could you please send some big screen tvs and basketball shoes over. :tongue0011:

:laugh:

rockdawg21
03-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Because they're not a bunch of stupid ghetto thugs.

flo
03-17-2011, 07:36 PM
I think Bonnie hit the nail on the head - it is their culture of "honor and respect". Bushido.

I hated seeing thugs looting their own cities - whether it's New Orleans or LA, Philly, Montreal...just sickening.

Rev
03-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Yeah, well, ya know a lot of those New Orleanians are now Houstonians and Texans. Could you please send some big screen tvs and basketball shoes over. :tongue0011:

:laugh:

Sorry sister, sucks for yall. lol:tongue0011:

Bonnie
03-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Sorry sister, sucks for yall. lol:tongue0011:

Yeah, we forgot to mention the word, "temporary" when we offered our assistance. We never even got to say, "Y'all come back now, ya hear!" 'cause they never left! :laugh:

Some of the people I talked to after they relocated from there said they were never going back. :wink:

Tyburn
03-18-2011, 11:49 PM
There are two other practical reasons why looting isnt happening...firstly, a lot of the cities arent even on the map anymore...there is nothing left to steal because half the cities in the region have completely gone, washed away.

the second reason is, people are steering clear of the nuclear fall out from those reactors...people are worried in China and Hawaii as well about that...panic buying has happened as far away as the Western Seaboard of the US.

Looters might be idiots...but they arent going to go near a nuclear reactor I dont think :laugh:

Spiritwalker
03-19-2011, 12:35 AM
There are two other practical reasons why looting isnt happening...firstly, a lot of the cities arent even on the map anymore...there is nothing left to steal because half the cities in the region have completely gone, washed away.

the second reason is, people are steering clear of the nuclear fall out from those reactors...people are worried in China and Hawaii as well about that...panic buying has happened as far away as the Western Seaboard of the US.

Looters might be idiots...but they arent going to go near a nuclear reactor I dont think :laugh:

You have any linkable information on "panic buying" in the US?

NateR
03-19-2011, 01:03 AM

I bought an extra pack of toilet paper today, maybe that's what Dave's talking about. :unsure:

But seriously I haven't heard of any panic buying in the US yet. The residual radiation is already in California, but the levels are far lower than anything that would be considered dangerous.

Play The Man
03-19-2011, 01:11 AM
I think Tyburn is referring to the panic buying of potassium iodide tablets.

NateR
03-19-2011, 01:20 AM

I wouldn't even know where to find potassium iodide if I wanted some.:unsure-1:

Even so, it's protections against radiation sickness are pretty limited.

NateR
03-19-2011, 01:21 AM
Here's a link to a story on the panic buying:
http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/650979.html

Rev
03-19-2011, 02:39 AM

I dont know dude, these people in N.O. are pretty out there. they figure if they get close they might grow an extra foot to wear another Air Jordan on. lol

Bonnie
03-19-2011, 02:47 PM

Here's a link to a story on the panic buying:
http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/650979.html

Yeah, saw that on the news a few days ago.

Tyburn
03-19-2011, 05:18 PM
I dont know dude, these people in N.O. are pretty out there. they figure if they get close they might grow an extra foot to wear another Air Jordan on. lol

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tyburn
03-19-2011, 05:19 PM

I read it in the paper :unsure-1:

Tyburn
03-19-2011, 05:21 PM

:laugh: YES :laugh: The Chinese, have the wrong impression about that...their Sodium Chloride is dosed, slightly with Iodide...thus they came to the conclusion that they must eat as much table salt as the possibly can :laugh: the sad fact is I didnt make that up, and they would have to eat lethal concentrations of salt for the same effect with the iodide :unsure-1: