PDA

View Full Version : pancake day

Tyburn
03-11-2011, 11:54 AM
I dont know if this is what happens in America, but before lent, there is something known as Shrove Tuesday which happened this past week, its known by its more secular name as pancake day in England

It was born out of a need to use up dairy produce before the start of lent. Now people deliberately buy dairy stuff to make the pancakes with.

Usually Mother hosts pancake day, but this year both my parents were busy at Church, My Sister Rosy was working late, and My Sister Tiffany was going out early. So I went round to Nans to cook pancakes...

...it didnt quite go according to plan :unsure-1:

The first attempt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpohfqHaDSw

The Second Attempt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhAB3iJv2tk

The comprimise of hot cross buns :laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0aNm7vv6r8

DonnaMaria
03-11-2011, 02:42 PM
We don't have pancakes but we do pizza Fridays!:laugh:

I eat pizza on Fridays even though I'm not Catholic cause I like being with the "in" crowd. :cool:

Oh yeah, and the pizza is mighty fine!:happydancing:

rearnakedchoke
03-11-2011, 03:30 PM
we had pancakes in school (went to catholic school), some places call it mardi gras (fat tuesday), they have carnival in South america .. called many things, but basically in prep for lent ..

Miss Foxy
03-11-2011, 04:02 PM
We call it Fat Tuesday! :) I kept wondering why a few of my friends from the UK were carrying on about pancake day lol. Thanks for the explanation.

NateR
03-11-2011, 04:18 PM
I was raised in a Baptist household, so we didn't observe lent at all. In fact, joining the Presbyterian Church in Hillsboro is the very first time I've been part of any congregation that observes lent. I always thought it was just a Catholic thing prior to that.

Plus, since there is no scriptural basis for a "license to sin" day in the Bible, we were always taught that participating in events like Mardi Gras was sinful.

Tyburn
03-11-2011, 07:14 PM
In fact, joining the Presbyterian Church in Hillsboro is the very first time I've been part of any congregation that observes lent. I always thought it was just a Catholic thing prior to that.

Well...now rather then living in that ignorance, you've been enlightened. Dont assume because you dont do something, or no something, that its in some way wrong...try investigating it to discover for yourself.

...better to celebrate something Catholic, then something Pagen, like another festival I could mention in the fall :mellow:

:laugh:

NateR
03-11-2011, 07:23 PM
...better to celebrate something Catholic, then something Pagen, like another festival I could mention in the fall :mellow:

I don't celebrate Halloween.

Tyburn
03-11-2011, 07:25 PM
I don't celebrate Halloween.

GOOD :applause:

rearnakedchoke
03-11-2011, 07:27 PM
We call it Fat Tuesday! :) I kept wondering why a few of my friends from the UK were carrying on about pancake day lol. Thanks for the explanation.

LOL .. yeah, maybe that is how pancake were created .. getting rid of all the sweet stuff before lent mixing it in a bowl and eating it .. yummy ...

cubsfan47
03-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Did someone say pancakes?

IHOP,mmmm.:)

flo
03-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Well...now rather then living in that ignorance, you've been enlightened. Dont assume because you dont do something, or no something, that its in some way wrong...try investigating it to discover for yourself.

:laugh:

Sheesh, judgemental much? What was that bit about casting the first stone?

As a Catholic - and I'm sure there are several others here - I think you're insensitive.

and DonnaMaria...I was SURE a good Italian girl like you were Catholic...

not to stereotype...

Tyburn
03-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Sheesh, judgemental much? What was that bit about casting the first stone?

As a Catholic - and I'm sure there are several others here - I think you're insensitive.

and DonnaMaria...I was SURE a good Italian girl like you were Catholic...

not to stereotype...

:rolleyes: I was being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

Because I know Nathan doesnt care much for Roman Catholicism

If you've ever read our debates in the Christian Section about Roman Catholics, you will know that at one time, when they had been rulled by those in Administration as not being Christian at all, I made the offer for them to post in the woodshed...of course that was not long after the Christian Section opened, and shortly, after AeeJaee....I became the Christian Moderator, and being Anglo-Catholic myself, That is High Church, as opposed to low church evangelical...there suddenly wasnt a problem with Catholics posting in the Christian Section after all.

I wasnt able to talk the Two Roman Catholics who had been so incesenced by the likes of Hughes_Goat, and MacT and a few others :ninja: into coming back after they were told in various threads they werent saved, couldnt possibly be christians blah, blah, blah.

But this occured long before your time, so it would be unreasonable for me to expect you knew all that. But I just thought I'd fill you in, so you understand that I was referencing the sort of ethos that was around at that time, in those days when this forum, and certain members DID go further then Judge.

Five years ago, Flo, they would have told you that Roman Catholics ARE NOT Christian. But I Put my foot down, and I dont know how many times I have argued that, we may dissagree on theology slightly, but the Roman Church still makes up a vast portion of Christendom. It has been a tireless undertaking to explain in various threads, over various years, the failings of the Roman Church, and why alone that doesnt make it a sect, A deeper understanding of the Catechism, especially where Marianology and praying to the Saints is concerned...the various feasts, the liturgical colours and cycles...the traditions and dogmas...some of which is helpful, and some of which isnt.

When I first started here, it was an open and shut case. Christians were Christian, Roman Catholics were not. Through ceaseless challenging, and propogation...thats changed to, Some Roman Catholics might be...well from someone who thinks 80% of ALL Christians, from whatever denomination, are pretenders, thats not bad going for five years worth of effort on the subject :laugh:

flo
03-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Thank you for the explanation, Dave, and writing about this subject from earlier days here. You aren't normally one for denigrating others so I'm glad it was just sarcasm.

Tyburn
03-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Thank you for the explanation, Dave, and writing about this subject from earlier days here. You aren't normally one for denigrating others so I'm glad it was just sarcasm.

Sarcasm it may have been...but we both know I shouldnt have said it.

I was fed up, and angry at Nathan...so I said something pointed to upset him.

Noones perfect...but its a good reminder that nothing good comes out of being mean to someone....infact, usually it makes things worse, and spreads...like this example.

We should be ever mindful, that not everyone reads everything...and therefore, many could have made exactly the same assumption as you...and never realize, that I was just being a...what do you say in America....Douche bag :unsure-1::laugh: