PDA

View Full Version : Fecal Matter On Most Shopping Carts

Play The Man
03-03-2011, 10:26 PM
The next time you head to the grocery store, you might want to arm yourself with some antibacterial wipes, and maybe some disposable gloves before you grab a shopping cart.
That’s because those carts are actually dirtier than a public bathroom, according to researchers at the University of Arizona, who swabbed the handles of 85 carts in four states looking for bacterial contamination, USA Today reported.
In the end, they found 72 percent of the carts had a positive marker for fecal matter, and 50 percent had E. coli.
Researchers said they found more fecal matter on the shopping cart handles than a typical bathroom due to the fact that bathrooms are disinfected more often than these carts.
The lead researcher, professor Charles Gerba, also recommends that shoppers keep a close-eye on those reusable shopping bags because they can become what he calls a “bacterial swamp.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/03/03/fecal-matter-72-percent-grocery-carts/#ixzz1FZtmbmC3
:scared0011:

NateR
03-03-2011, 10:31 PM
:scared0011:

I think stores spray the carts down with raw sewage every morning to keep sales in the Pharmacy going strong.

flo
03-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Ew.

I always use those antibacterial wipes on the handle of my cart; the stores I frequent supply them. I knew there were a lot of cold/flu germs on the carts but fecal matter?

Eeeeeeeek.

And I use my own shopping bags too but I didn't think about them getting contaminated. Good Lord, what next?

Thanks, PTM, this will make my shopping days so much more exciting.

:no:
not

Buzzard
03-03-2011, 11:58 PM
It's possible they could reduce some of the problem by taking away the seating area for kids on them.

Bonnie
03-04-2011, 12:05 AM
I got mono several years ago and the doctor told me I could have gotten it touching a shopping cart. Ever since then I can't shake that "yuck" feeling when I go to reach for a shopping cart. And even worse is when I see a baby gnawing on the shopping cart handle! :scared0015: I keep a little bottle of anti-bacterial soap in my purse and use it a lot. And I use those wipes Flo mentioned the stores are providing now--use them people! :ninja:

Bonnie
03-04-2011, 12:42 AM
It's possible they could reduce some of the problem by taking away the seating area for kids on them.

It probably has more to do with adults not washing their hands, Buzz. I saw a report a couple of years ago where they tested these buffet restaurants and they got the same thing, fecal and e. coli on those tongs and utensils everyone is handling at the buffet. :sick:

County Mike
03-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Poo is everywhere.

Chuck
03-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Poo is everywhere.

It's what keeps Mike employed!!!!!!!!!!!

Rowe that is....... :laugh:

NateR
03-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Poo is everywhere.

Yeah, to be honest, it's only a problem if:
1. you don't wash your hands before you eat
2. you don't have a healthy immune system

Besides handling paper money with your bare hands is a lot more unsanitary than anything on a shopping cart.

Bonnie
03-04-2011, 02:46 PM
It's what keeps Mike employed!!!!!!!!!!!

Rowe that is....... :laugh:

I'm surprised he hasn't landed a "soap" commercial yet! :laugh:

He must have a killer immune system!

rearnakedchoke
03-04-2011, 03:20 PM

Besides handling paper money with your bare hands is a lot more unsanitary than anything on a shopping cart.

this is true ... if we actually knew what we were coming into contact with we'd be truly disgusted even further .. back when i did labs in micro bio, we'd swab stuff in kitchens, washrooms etc .. we would find all kinds of stuff .. in fact, place like the washroom and stuff were actually cleaner then kitchens ...

Crisco
03-04-2011, 03:32 PM
You guys don't poop on shopping carts? I thought everyone did...

County Mike
03-04-2011, 03:34 PM
You guys don't poop on shopping carts? I thought everyone did...

No, but I fart just about everywhere. My poo is airborne.

Crisco
03-04-2011, 03:38 PM
No, but I fart just about everywhere. My poo is airborne.

WMD's

Bonnie
03-04-2011, 04:43 PM
WMD's

:laugh:

Buzzard
03-04-2011, 05:50 PM

I'm sure there's more to it than your 2 problems listed.

Keep the kids out of the carts. Think about it. Poopy diapers, soiled clothing, snotty kids hands all in close proximity and being wiped on the handholds. Kid picks butt, and then nose and wipes hands on hand cart while holding on. Makes sense to me. Not saying my way is the only cure, but one of many possible ones.

NateR
03-04-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm sure there's more to it than your 2 problems listed.

Keep the kids out of the carts. Think about it. Poopy diapers, soiled clothing, snotty kids hands all in close proximity and being wiped on the handholds. Kid picks butt, and then nose and wipes hands on hand cart while holding on. Makes sense to me. Not saying my way is the only cure, but one of many possible ones.

Do you want to ban children from stores? What exactly are parents supposed to do? Lock them in the car? Let them run freely around the store unchecked? Leave them at home unattended? I think your solution is a little unrealistic. Parents need a convenient place to sit their young children while they are shopping.

I think adults using the public restrooms and not washing their hands is an equal contributor to this. So I guess the only solution is to close down all the bathrooms in stores. :rolleyes:

Crisco
03-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Poop on the shopping carts people... Just grip it and move on.

Miss Foxy
03-04-2011, 06:42 PM
It's called personal accountability (wash your damn hands and if you take the kiddies make sure they are clean as well) .. Safeguard yourself..(clean-up wipes, hand sanitizer). There will always be germs and dirty people.

flo
03-04-2011, 06:48 PM

Yup, that's true. When we had our restaurant I hated handling the money.

Chris F
03-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Adults are a lot worse than the kids. The parents often do a better job taking care of the kids than themselves. Shopping carts are more because of the lack of handwashing than babies. Kids do not sit on the handles. This test was on the handles not the seat Buzz

BamaGrits84
03-04-2011, 08:17 PM
A few years ago I saw a Dateline investigate piece where they took swabs from public bathrooms, grocery carts, tables at fast foods joints, and at a bowling alley. The worst finds came from the finger holes in the bowling balls. poo, pee, er man cream :ashamed:, and the dark, cool place is a breeding ground for fungi and bacteria. And my kids want to go bowling this weekend...:sick:

TexasRN
03-04-2011, 10:26 PM
I have always been of the opinion that we need to be exposed to germs in order to build our immune systems. Grab that handle with relish! Get in the habit of washing your hands with plain soap and water as soon as you get in your house.

~Amy

DonnaMaria
03-05-2011, 12:57 AM
I have always been of the opinion that we need to be exposed to germs in order to build our immune systems. Grab that handle with relish! Get in the habit of washing your hands with plain soap and water as soon as you get in your house.

~Amy

Very true!

Shopping carts are nasty but any kind of door handle has the same gunk. It's hopeless to worry about germs!:laugh: They are all around, like it or not! Especially in my classroom! :laugh:

I have an exceptionally disgusting story for ya'll that happened just today!!:laugh:

A few girls came off the bus and I noticed that they were wearing lipstick! :laugh: They all had the same color on and they were all smiling from ear to ear! :laugh: I assumed that one had brought the lipstick from home and gave it to her friends to use. We talk about not sharing chap stick and lip gloss and lipstick but they do it all the time anyway. :rolleyes:

Then more girl come off the bus........and more.......and more girls have the same color lipstick...........a total of 12 girls in all from three different classes have the lipstick on........

So I ask where the lipstick came from ......and the smallest girl happily shouts out.....
“We FOUND it on the FLOOR OF THE BUS!!!!!!"

:scared0011::scared0015:

So here is what happened in a nutshell........

24 preschoolers got picked up by one bus driver for the afternoon preschool session. The driver is busy driving when one little girl spots the lipstick on the floor, unbuckles herself, picks it up, applies it and then passes it to another little girl who applies it and then passes it on........

over and over again

until 12 girls have used it........oh and one boy.........:ninja: but we wiped his face off immediately.........:ninja:before anyone else noticed.........:Whistle:

we sent a note home to the parents, explaining the lipstick situation and asked them to remind the kids to not share personal products......especially ones they "find"

Tyburn
03-05-2011, 01:45 AM

~Amy

My Mother goes further...not only does she think that exposure to germs creates the immune system...which is absolutely true...and why vaccines are made of the bug that you are supposed to be defended against...either dead or in tiny ammounts so the body can fight it and add it to its collection of known germs, so if the attack ever comes again, it can instantly produce the right antibody...

...but my mother says the problem with medicine is that whilst things like antibiotics kill 99% of a certain bacteria...or whatever...they leave the mutant 1%...and when that mutant 1% reproduces its something that has become resistant to the original antibiotic..

this MRSA bug was invented by accident, by us forcing a kind of evolution on the bacteria...what might have been a mutant bacteria killed off by the growth of better bacteria...is left free to develope without hindrance, and with knowledge of what we have used prior to it, in order to kill off its non mutant brothers.

So my Mother says, if you can possibly avoid medicines..do...because...then when you REALLY need it...you can be certain that it will work because its never been something you have been exposed to so many times, whatever is in you, left over, to flourish...hasnt become resistant.

whilst this is excellent advise concerning specifically antibiotics...I remain to be convinced that the same is true for...i dont know...pain meds...for example...and yet...I bearly take any pills...never have...the only thing I have ever taken consistantly is anti-depressents...I havent had cough medicine, I almost never have any type of pain meds...not even a paracetamol...

Its so funny...coz when my family gets ill...the first week my sisters and father will get it...and me and my Mother will wander around...and not catch it...we catch the rebound strain about two weeks after...which is whats left of that virus or bacteria which has somehow survived and thus morphed....

So as soon as my Sisters get better...Mother and I try not to come into contact with each other...so that we dont pass the mutant strain on...We know the moment the others get better, the virus in its original form has been defeated...and the only thing that will grow is the mutants...and we know that we must cease contact right away...because these things have incubation periods...which means you pick them up BEFORE you show symptoms...in half of all cases...by the time the symptoms are in full swing your not even infectious anymore :laugh:

NateR
03-05-2011, 02:29 AM

~Amy

Very true.

Play The Man
03-05-2011, 03:12 AM
I have no idea how this could be happening.:scratchchin:

flo
03-05-2011, 04:41 AM
O-M-G!!!

PTM!!! I almost choked on my coffee when that last image loaded up, WTH????

On a less gross note, I loved DonnaMaria's story :-) I loved it!. It must be fun (sometimes?) working with that age group.

rockdawg21
03-05-2011, 06:39 AM
I wear gloves when I go shopping. Not really, but this makes me actually consider keeping rubber gloves in the car. YUCK!

cubsfan47
03-05-2011, 02:18 PM
There was a Mythbusters episode about fecal colliform which established that it is pretty much everywhere (the toothbrush episode). This was revisited when the had a group of students take samples from several different areas. Wow! It is everywhere.

We are all doomed.:laugh:

TexasRN
03-05-2011, 02:31 PM
My Mother goes further...not only does she think that exposure to germs creates the immune system...which is absolutely true...and why vaccines are made of the bug that you are supposed to be defended against...either dead or in tiny ammounts so the body can fight it and add it to its collection of known germs, so if the attack ever comes again, it can instantly produce the right antibody...

...but my mother says the problem with medicine is that whilst things like antibiotics kill 99% of a certain bacteria...or whatever...they leave the mutant 1%...and when that mutant 1% reproduces its something that has become resistant to the original antibiotic..

this MRSA bug was invented by accident, by us forcing a kind of evolution on the bacteria...what might have been a mutant bacteria killed off by the growth of better bacteria...is left free to develope without hindrance, and with knowledge of what we have used prior to it, in order to kill off its non mutant brothers.

So my Mother says, if you can possibly avoid medicines..do...because...then when you REALLY need it...you can be certain that it will work because its never been something you have been exposed to so many times, whatever is in you, left over, to flourish...hasnt become resistant.

whilst this is excellent advise concerning specifically antibiotics...I remain to be convinced that the same is true for...i dont know...pain meds...for example...and yet...I bearly take any pills...never have...the only thing I have ever taken consistantly is anti-depressents...I havent had cough medicine, I almost never have any type of pain meds...not even a paracetamol...

Its so funny...coz when my family gets ill...the first week my sisters and father will get it...and me and my Mother will wander around...and not catch it...we catch the rebound strain about two weeks after...which is whats left of that virus or bacteria which has somehow survived and thus morphed....

So as soon as my Sisters get better...Mother and I try not to come into contact with each other...so that we dont pass the mutant strain on...We know the moment the others get better, the virus in its original form has been defeated...and the only thing that will grow is the mutants...and we know that we must cease contact right away...because these things have incubation periods...which means you pick them up BEFORE you show symptoms...in half of all cases...by the time the symptoms are in full swing your not even infectious anymore :laugh:

Your mother is right. :) I am in the middle of a very nasty cold right now. I do take OTC cold meds for symptom relief but only at night so I can sleep and recover faster. I take antibiotics only if absolutely necessary. I sometimes get strep throat and if I don't take antibiotics I get scarlet fever which can infect the valves of my heart if left untreated. So, meds have their uses. I just don't run and ask for a script for every sniffle.

~Amy

TexasRN
03-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Very true!

Shopping carts are nasty but any kind of door handle has the same gunk. It's hopeless to worry about germs!:laugh: They are all around, like it or not! Especially in my classroom! :laugh:

I have an exceptionally disgusting story for ya'll that happened just today!!:laugh:

A few girls came off the bus and I noticed that they were wearing lipstick! :laugh: They all had the same color on and they were all smiling from ear to ear! :laugh: I assumed that one had brought the lipstick from home and gave it to her friends to use. We talk about not sharing chap stick and lip gloss and lipstick but they do it all the time anyway. :rolleyes:

Then more girl come off the bus........and more.......and more girls have the same color lipstick...........a total of 12 girls in all from three different classes have the lipstick on........

So I ask where the lipstick came from ......and the smallest girl happily shouts out.....
“We FOUND it on the FLOOR OF THE BUS!!!!!!"

:scared0011::scared0015:

So here is what happened in a nutshell........

24 preschoolers got picked up by one bus driver for the afternoon preschool session. The driver is busy driving when one little girl spots the lipstick on the floor, unbuckles herself, picks it up, applies it and then passes it to another little girl who applies it and then passes it on........

over and over again

until 12 girls have used it........oh and one boy.........:ninja: but we wiped his face off immediately.........:ninja:before anyone else noticed.........:Whistle:

we sent a note home to the parents, explaining the lipstick situation and asked them to remind the kids to not share personal products......especially ones they "find"

And that's how the entire preschool class came down with mononucleosis! :laugh: Hilarious!

~Amy

Tyburn
03-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Your mother is right. :) I am in the middle of a very nasty cold right now. I do take OTC cold meds for symptom relief but only at night so I can sleep and recover faster. I take antibiotics only if absolutely necessary. I sometimes get strep throat and if I don't take antibiotics I get scarlet fever which can infect the valves of my heart if left untreated. So, meds have their uses. I just don't run and ask for a script for every sniffle.

~Amy

:happydancing: Mother is almost always right :happydancing:

Obviously you should take medicine if your life is in danger...I mean you dont mess around with heart problems or stuff..but in this country...whilst we cant get any drugs without a doctors assessment (and we cant suggest to them what to perscribe like you can in the US) most people will have the whole day, or maybe even a week of work for the common cold...its riddiculous...colds are not going to kill the working population...and as almost everyone gets them...your abstaining from communal areas wont stop the spread of the bug...but...and especially the women...complain no end about having a cold.

As for me...I have 100percent attendance record over nearly 6 years...I had one day off sick...but that was because I was sent home half way through the day...I came in...and tried my best to work through it...but when I chucked up in the yard...they sent me home :laugh: but I worked all through that time when the doctors told me not to eat for a whole week...and I worked all the time during the onset of the side effects from the sertraline.

I had three weeks off at Saint Paul's but that was coz I broke my fingers so badly they had to put in K-wires which were exposed to the air for a month...and I had half a week off when I slipt and fell down the strongroom steps and twisted my ankle. Right after I did it...I knew it was bad coz it was like a balloon...but I stayed to the end of my shift so I could do the processional for the installation of a new Lay Canon.

I think that Mother, yourself, and I are very right in our attitudes towards germs and ill health. :)

TexasRN
03-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Obviously you should take medicine if your life is in danger...I mean you dont mess around with heart problems or stuff..but in this country...whilst we cant get any drugs without a doctors assessment (and we cant suggest to them what to perscribe like you can in the US) most people will have the whole day, or maybe even a week of work for the common cold...its riddiculous...colds are not going to kill the working population...and as almost everyone gets them...your abstaining from communal areas wont stop the spread of the bug...but...and especially the women...complain no end about having a cold.

As for me...I have 100percent attendance record over nearly 6 years...I had one day off sick...but that was because I was sent home half way through the day...I came in...and tried my best to work through it...but when I chucked up in the yard...they sent me home :laugh: but I worked all through that time when the doctors told me not to eat for a whole week...and I worked all the time during the onset of the side effects from the sertraline.

I had three weeks off at Saint Paul's but that was coz I broke my fingers so badly they had to put in K-wires which were exposed to the air for a month...and I had half a week off when I slipt and fell down the strongroom steps and twisted my ankle. Right after I did it...I knew it was bad coz it was like a balloon...but I stayed to the end of my shift so I could do the processional for the installation of a new Lay Canon.

I think that Mother, yourself, and I are very right in our attitudes towards germs and ill health. :)

I plan to sit outside on the deck this afternoon and air out the house to help clear out the sickies. Then this evening I will clean a little but try not to overdo it. I have never been one to just sit in bed all day until I'm better. I get bored too easily. :laugh:

~Amy

Buzzard
03-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Adults are a lot worse than the kids. The parents often do a better job taking care of the kids than themselves. Shopping carts are more because of the lack of handwashing than babies. Kids do not sit on the handles. This test was on the handles not the seat Buzz

Perhaps if you would take the time to read and comprehend you would notice that I never stated the test was done on the seat. I even went and showed how a kid could transfer said fecal matter from his butt to his nose to the handle.

Time to get some more Cracker Jack.

NateR, I don't want to ban kids from the stores, I'd rather have at least some carts without seating, as some markets have.

flo
03-05-2011, 06:13 PM

I don't know why but my first thought after reading this sentence was "Psycho" (the movie). :laugh:

Love ya, Dave, I have no control where my brain goes...

Chuck
03-05-2011, 10:24 PM
I have no idea how this could be happening.:scratchchin:

What the heck did you put into Google to get those??????????????? :Whistle:

Tyburn
03-06-2011, 12:46 AM
I don't know why but my first thought after reading this sentence was "Psycho" (the movie). :laugh:

Love ya, Dave, I have no control where my brain goes...

:laugh::laugh::laugh: