PDA

View Full Version : Now you can train MMA -- inside your local Wal-Mart

VCURamFan
03-01-2011, 07:30 PM
From MiddleEasy.com

http://middleeasy.com/images/stories/Author_Zeus/2011/03/walmart_banner.jpg

If you're reading this, you have rawesomeade running through your veins. We've thrown that imaginary product around for over a year now, but there will be a day when you can walk into your local Wal-Mart and pick it up from the energy drink aisle. If Steven Seagal can do it (http://www.lightningdrink.com/), so can we. Actually, that statement should be: 'If Steven Seagal can do it, there's no way in hell we can do it without accidentally breaking our neck - or have Stevan Seagal intentionally break our neck for thinking we can do what he can do'. That's too long of an idiom to remember, so maybe we'll hold off on introducing 'Rawesomeade' to the beverage market. However, now that MMA is being inserted into Wal-Marts, perhaps it really is time to introduce a drinkable version of 'rawesome' to the American market.
A place called The Cente (http://thecentermixedmartialarts.com/locations/oklahoma-locations/)r in Oklahoma is now nestled comfortably inside a Wal-Mart, which essentially means you can work on your sprawl while your mother's holiday pictures are being developed in the photography department. While The Center has multiple locations across the country, it appears that their El Reno, Oklahoma establishment is the first mixed martial arts gym that is housed entirely inside of a Wal-Mart. If you're in the area, you can try a class out for free with a promise that 'you'll want to be a member forever'. Here are a few pictures of the establishment via The UG (http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/306767/MMA-studio-opens-in-Oklahoma-WalMart/). Let's just hope these guys are using Dollamur Mats (http://www.dollamur.com/).

http://middleeasy.com/images/stories/Author_Zeus/2011/03/walmart1.jpg

http://middleeasy.com/images/stories/Author_Zeus/2011/03/walmart2.jpg

http://middleeasy.com/images/stories/Author_Zeus/2011/03/walmart3.jpgJudging by the "heavy" bag in the last 2 pics, it looks like they're using Matt's Cage Fitness program! :happydancing:

NateR
03-01-2011, 07:44 PM
I didn't see the "C" at first, so I thought it was called "The Enter." :unsure-1:

flo
03-01-2011, 07:46 PM
I didn't see the "C" at first, so I thought it was called "The Enter." :unsure-1:

Ditto.

rawesomeade

:w00t:

VCURamFan
03-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Ditto.

:w00t:
Not quite as cool once you realize it only sounds like that because their spokesman is Scooby Doo. :laugh:

J.B.
03-01-2011, 09:05 PM
I've been to that Wal-Mart in El Reno :laugh:

Miss Foxy
03-01-2011, 09:20 PM
My kids would never train in a place where people come and go and risk getting staph infection no thanks!!

bradwright
03-01-2011, 09:44 PM
you really can get anything at walmart.:laugh:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
03-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Walmart would find away to screw it up!

Rev
03-02-2011, 12:41 AM
LOL AWESOME!!!
"Hey man, youve got some sick jits, where do you train?" "Down at the wal-mart."

outstanding!!

rockdawg21
03-02-2011, 04:19 AM
Sweet! If I go there, I'll challenge the "Sensei" to a match. If I win, I'll tell everybody to go to Premier Martial Arts and get real training. :laugh:

flo
03-02-2011, 04:58 AM
LOL AWESOME!!!
"Hey man, youve got some sick jits, where do you train?" "Down at the wal-mart."

outstanding!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

rockdawg21
03-02-2011, 05:48 AM
LOL AWESOME!!!

outstanding!!
:laugh:

cubsfan47
03-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Everyday Low Prices on MMA training? Cool. :cool:

Chuck
03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
I don't understand why everybody is trashing his idea? Why do people automatically assume because it's in a Wal Mart it's a joke or going to be low quality?

I think it's a pretty smart idea. Wal Mart's are always in good locations, plenty of parking, good exposure, no worries of your Anchor tenant leaving like you would in a strip mall.

Is having a gym in a strip mall next to some knock off cellular place or a crap restaurant really that much better??? :wacko:

rockdawg21
03-02-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't understand why everybody is trashing his idea? Why do people automatically assume because it's in a Wal Mart it's a joke or going to be low quality?

I think it's a pretty smart idea. Wal Mart's are always in good locations, plenty of parking, good exposure, no worries of your Anchor tenant leaving like you would in a strip mall.

Is having a gym in a strip mall next to some knock off cellular place or a crap restaurant really that much better??? :wacko:
There's a big difference between a gym and learning martial arts as most people know how to lift weights and do cardio.

Chuck
03-02-2011, 01:30 PM
There's a big difference between a gym and learning martial arts as most people know how to lift weights and do cardio.

I'm not following you.............. How does that apply?

Not arguing bro, just not quite sure what you're trying to say here. :wink:

ufcfan2
03-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Surpise they didn't call it WAL-MMArt!!:tongue0011:

County Mike
03-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Clever!

Miss Foxy
03-02-2011, 03:10 PM

I don't care that it's walmart.. I love walmart just not in California they are dirty and crowded. I am a target shopper, however when I was living in Texas you could find me at Walmart!!
My thing is how clean is it.. I would want to know what type of cleaning they conduct and also the trainers if they have background checks etc... I can care less if it's walmart.

Chuck
03-02-2011, 05:05 PM
I don't care that it's walmart.. I love walmart just not in California they are dirty and crowded. I am a target shopper, however when I was living in Texas you could find me at Walmart!!
My thing is how clean is it.. I would want to know what type of cleaning they conduct and also the trainers if they have background checks etc... I can care less if it's walmart.

All Wal Mart's are not created equal, this is very true!

I personally wouldn't automatically discount them or what they're able to teach just because of the location they chose. That's all I was saying.

There's a website somewhere that has pictures of people in Wal Mart.. have you seen it? It's pretty funny!

Chris F
03-02-2011, 06:08 PM
I live real close to one of their locations. I will check it out and give my OPINONS on it in a couple of weeks. :)

KENTUCKYREDBONE
03-02-2011, 09:43 PM

If Walmart controls it I can almost guarantee it will be poor quality! I used to work at walmart and I know from experience that they ain't what they used to be. They can't even keep in good quality cleaning equipment to keep their own store clean with!

Chris F
03-02-2011, 10:28 PM
If Walmart controls it I can almost guarantee it will be poor quality! I used to work at walmart and I know from experience that they ain't what they used to be. They can't even keep in good quality cleaning equipment to keep their own store clean with!

Wal Mart has nothing to do with it. Wal Mart simply rents out the space. Just as they do for Subways, McDonalds, Jackson Hewitt etc etc. Go to there website it is basically a chain by some big names who will hire local help to "coach" and then they (the big names) will make occasional visits. What I like is they are a cage fitness provider and in fact one of the owners is one of the founders of cage fitness concept. So Wal Mart or not I hope I can find a way to afford the classes.

rockdawg21
03-02-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm not following you.............. How does that apply?

Not arguing bro, just not quite sure what you're trying to say here. :wink:
I'm just saying that most people who go to a gym already know what they're doing whereas people who are taking martial arts are there to learn, period. I'm sure the place is fine, it just sounds really really funny. Can you imagine how funny it'd be if somebody made it into the UFC and praised Wal-Mart for their BJJ black belt?

flo
03-03-2011, 12:29 AM

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!!

:happy0159:

J.B.
03-03-2011, 01:14 AM
I'm just saying that most people who go to a gym already know what they're doing whereas people who are taking martial arts are there to learn, period. I'm sure the place is fine, it just sounds really really funny. Can you imagine how funny it'd be if somebody made it into the UFC and praised Wal-Mart for their BJJ black belt?

It's actually pretty brilliant of the gym to go that route and rent out space there. The UFC already endorses MMA Elite clothing which is sold exclusively at Wal-Mart and most Wal-Marts are busier than any strip mall 24/7. Especially that Wal-Mart in particular, I've actually been to El Reno a number of times and that's basically all they have is that Wal-Mart and tributes to Garth Brooks.

rockdawg21
03-03-2011, 03:00 AM
It's actually pretty brilliant of the gym to go that route and rent out space there. The UFC already endorses MMA Elite clothing which is sold exclusively at Wal-Mart and most Wal-Marts are busier than any strip mall 24/7. Especially that Wal-Mart in particular, I've actually been to El Reno a number of times and that's basically all they have is that Wal-Mart and tributes to Garth Brooks.
Yeah, I think it's a great idea, it just sounds really really funny.

Chris F
03-03-2011, 03:01 AM
:)It's actually pretty brilliant of the gym to go that route and rent out space there. The UFC already endorses MMA Elite clothing which is sold exclusively at Wal-Mart and most Wal-Marts are busier than any strip mall 24/7. Especially that Wal-Mart in particular, I've actually been to El Reno a number of times and that's basically all they have is that Wal-Mart and tributes to Garth Brooks.

I used to see Garth a lot where I worked. He lives in Owasso OK and he and Tirsha Yearwood would come by or go to the place next door. Garth loves Wal Mart too.

My wife worked at the Owasso one and saw his ex-wife alot.

J.B.
03-03-2011, 03:14 AM
:) Garth loves Wal Mart too.

:laugh:

philips4
03-03-2011, 02:42 PM
All Wal Mart's are not created equal, this is very true!

I personally wouldn't automatically discount them or what they're able to teach just because of the location they chose. That's all I was saying.

There's a website somewhere that has pictures of people in Wal Mart.. have you seen it? It's pretty funny!

With all the Walmart jokes out there, I mean come on it just sounds hysterical! I have seen those pictures of "real shoppers of Walmart" can you imagine the ones of "real MMA Walmart students?" :scared0011::laugh:

BamaGrits84
03-03-2011, 03:24 PM
These stores within Walmart type deals are not usually ran by walmart, but rather walmart is just leasing space. It is like McDonalds or Sunday inside them. Walmart does not own these places. I would guess this is the same. My concern would be for new comers feeling comfortable traing with the glass making their workouts entertainment for thos in the check out lines. But this idea is marketing GOLD. Who doesn't go to walmart?

And on a side note, I'm pretty sure I've seen that guy in the red tapout shirts in ones of those funny people at walmrt pictures.

Tyburn
03-05-2011, 11:38 PM
:laugh: heaven help us all if they bring this out company wide :laugh: