PDA

View Full Version : OK.. Here we go.... Asking for opinions..

Spiritwalker
02-21-2011, 01:30 PM
My son just turned 10 last month. He has been involved with martail arts since he turned 5.

Last friday, he was invloved in his first fight at school.

What I have found out is the following:

"Jason" was pushed to the ground (skinned his arm pretty good) by some kid.. he gets up and turns around and see Garrett (my son) near him. "Jason" charges my son (typical running at him for a 10 year old, one arm out, other fist near his head).. Garrett gets pushed in his left shoulder as he is turning around.

As he is pushed.. his right arm comes around and clears "Jason's" arm off of him.. and he palm strikes (think "high five") Jason in the face, square on the mouth/nose. Instant bloody nose most likely and "Jason" follows through with his weight and tackles Garrett to the ground.

They go to the ground and roll around some "Jason" ends up on top and as the teacher gets there to break it up, "Jason" is punching Garrett in the ribs and stomach while Garrett is going for the face...

Aftermath.. Garrett with red marks on his ribs (per the teacher, gone by the time I got home) dirty shirt, and a small scrtach on one of his lenses.. (they are 100% insured.. not cost to replace.. but so small prolly won't)

"Jason" pretty well skinned up arms.. (still don't know who did that).. bloody nose and a stretched neck of a t-shirt (prolly from Garrett grabbing at him).

The whole thing was prolly less than 30 seconds...

I know all of this because Garrett and I went to another kids house who was there (this kid is also a student of mine) and I had them act the whole thing.. I grilled my son with ALOT of questions on Friday night..

He was actaully a bit scared to tell me because he knows how I feel about fighting.. I knew it was coing because my wife called me when she picked my kids up from school.

I am not concerned at all. I tell my son.. "Great Job!! Glad your ok... proud of you"

I teach my kids to fight back.. "Don't start it.. but do finish it" mentallity. My kids are not bullys.. and have received "well dones" from teachers.. Garrett earned straigt As for the second time in a row this year.. He did nothing wrong.

BUT.... about an hour ago.. I get a call at work from the school.. I have a conference to go to now.. at 2:30.. because of this. I have to miss 1 1/2s of work..

The school has the receptionist call me to let me know if I can make a meeting.. and she sent me a copy of the code of conduct for all students.. And of course I know that fighting isn't allowed.. and shoulnd't be... BUT.. there is a sentenance in the code that has me VERY angry..

RULE 10: Physical Abuse of a Student/Fighting

Students shall not fight or attempt to cause bodily harm to another student. If a student is attempting to involve another student in a fight, the other student should walk away and report it to a teacher, assistant principal or principal. Students who instigate fights or participate in group assaults will be subject to the same consequences as those who are actually involved in fighting. This section does not apply when acting in self defense. Hitting a person back is not self defense; it is retaliation that will be considered fighting.

Consequences

Elementary School
In- school disciplinary action up to 10 days OSS. Law enforcement may be contacted.

I will be going to this meeting with the principle and my son.. there will be another meeting with "Jason" and someone from his family I asssume...
I will be calm when I walk in and sit down.. I will listen to what they have to say.. but if they try to suspend my son for defending himself from an unprovoked attack... I will have serious issues.. and some of you may remember the issue I has with the school last year... and this spinless principle.

Will keep you posted.. I just had to vent.

BamaGrits84
02-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Hitting a person back is not self defense; it is retaliation that will be considered fighting.

I'm sorry your school system has been taken over by liberals. Maybe they need to get a better attorney to review their handbook because legally in most states a person, regardless of age or what location the problems occurs at, has a right to defend themselve by means "THEY deem reasonable". I have always wondered how a school system can put rules in place that don't keep in line with the law and get away with it. Before your meeting check the laws in your state. If you have an attorney friend they can probaably point you in the right direction quickly. If not a lot of state have a search feature on their legislative websites that let you search for codes. I would be ready to go in there citing the law the protects my child's rights and the name of an attorney you plan to call if they are violated.

(I may have told this on another post so sorry if I did.) I was once slapped in the face by a boy in jr high because I sat in his seat mistakenly during SAT testing. I have never even been to the principals office until then but she threatened to suspend me too. So you know what my dad did? He comes up to the school and ask the principal "If I slap you in the face right now are the police going to take both of us to jail?" I did NOT get suspended.

Chuck
02-21-2011, 01:51 PM
So you didn't actually have a question or need anybody's opinion?? :laugh::laugh:

Spiritwalker
02-21-2011, 02:02 PM
So you didn't actually have a question or need anybody's opinion?? :laugh::laugh:

no..questions.. I guess not really....

But I am curious as to what others think. I find that the vast majority of people here are very "stand up" people. The vast majortiy of people here I would be friends with if they moved in next door... People with a backbone.. people that have an opinion and stick to it.. those types of people.

Spiritwalker
02-21-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm sorry your school system has been taken over by liberals. Maybe they need to get a better attorney to review their handbook because legally in most states a person, regardless of age or what location the problems occurs at, has a right to defend themselve by means "THEY deem reasonable". I have always wondered how a school system can put rules in place that don't keep in line with the law and get away with it. Before your meeting check the laws in your state. If you have an attorney friend they can probaably point you in the right direction quickly. If not a lot of state have a search feature on their legislative websites that let you search for codes. I would be ready to go in there citing the law the protects my child's rights and the name of an attorney you plan to call if they are violated.

good idea.. I actually have an attorney that I helped me over 15 years ago.. that I will call.. he may be able to point me in the right direction for someone if this should go bad..forewarned is forearmed.. I will not allow my son to be suspened.

(I may have told this on another post so sorry if I did.) I was once slapped in the face by a boy in jr high because I sat in his seat mistakenly during SAT testing. I have never even been to the principals office until then but she threatened to suspend me too. So you know what my dad did? He comes up to the school and ask the principal "If I slap you in the face right now are the police going to take both of us to jail?" I did NOT get suspended.

If you did.. I missed it.. but I REALLY like how your father handled that.. very nice..

Miss Foxy
02-21-2011, 02:46 PM
If your son did not start the fight support him 100%! I teach my children if you get touched you BETTER hit back and make an example out of the bully.. If not your going to be constantly bullied. It's unfortunate though if you stick up for yourselves your still wrong and get suspended.

Spiritwalker
02-21-2011, 02:52 PM
If your son did not start the fight support him 100%! I teach my children if you get touched you BETTER hit back and make an example out of the bully.. If not your going to be constantly bullied. It's unfortunate though if you stick up for yourselves your still wrong and get suspended.

Agreed!

adamt
02-21-2011, 05:34 PM
simple.....

you tow the line that your son did not push him, but only do this AFTER you get jason to admit that he thought your son pushed him, that will cast the doubt all on Jason.

THEN you say you are happy to file assault charges and sue for civil damages, all you need is a good reason like getting suspended.
You are also very happy to start a petition and invite the media to the board meetings.

Spiritwalker
02-21-2011, 05:38 PM
simple.....

you tow the line that your son did not push him, but only do this AFTER you get jason to admit that he thought your son pushed him, that will cast the doubt all on Jason.

THEN you say you are happy to file assault charges and sue for civil damages, all you need is a good reason like getting suspended.
You are also very happy to start a petition and invite the media to the board meetings.

you fight dirty... I like it!