PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on UFC 93

Irish Pride
01-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Many of us did not have the chance to discuss UFC 93. What are your thoughts.

Mine: I like both Hendo and Franklin, so it was hard for me to see Franklin lose. However, I do have to say I was pulling more for Hendo. I thought it was an excellent fight and would enjoy seeing a rematch as well.

For some reason I wanted Coleman to win. I was VERY upset to see both of them gassed so quickly. It's the second round and they are gasing? Very sad. I know both had "excuses." Coleman - dropped a weight class. Shogun - coming back from surgery and such.

Davis vs Lytle WOW is all I can say. Great fight.

timmyja
01-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I'd really like to see Shogun get back to form, because the past two times I've shot my mouth off about how good he is, I've really looked like an a$$

Moose
01-21-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm glad I didn't pay for it. Man, Rich's eye looks NASTY. I loved the Davis/Lytle fight too, really a nice clinic put on there.

J.B.
01-21-2009, 10:24 PM
I really was not too excited about this card in the first place, but I thought it was decent. The Davis/Lytle fight was good, but the Shogun/Coleman fight was not only bad, but it was pointless to begin with.

I am not sold on Shogun, and I can't say that I really ever was. I did pick Shogun to beat Forrest, but I just don't think he has the warrior spirit that true champions have.

I think he fights because he is good at it and he can make money, not because he is truly driven to be a champion. Maybe I am wrong, and the guy is still young so it possible that he could turn things around, but I just don't see it.

I think if he fought Rampage again he would get knocked out.

Spiritwalker
01-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Many of us did not have the chance to discuss UFC 93. What are your thoughts.

Mine: I like both Hendo and Franklin, so it was hard for me to see Franklin lose. However, I do have to say I was pulling more for Hendo. I thought it was an excellent fight and would enjoy seeing a rematch as well.

For some reason I wanted Coleman to win. I was VERY upset to see both of them gassed so quickly. It's the second round and they are gasing? Very sad. I know both had "excuses." Coleman - dropped a weight class. Shogun - coming back from surgery and such.

Davis vs Lytle WOW is all I can say. Great fight.

Most went the way I figured.. But Coleman and Shogun both looked that they need to get in better shape.. Coleman is 44.. not everyone can be Randy.. but he did look good..

Marcus rocked Da House!!!!

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/daspiritwalker/93.jpg

I don't see how a judge could have said Rich won that fight .. all three rounds.. I saw Rich losing the first.. but winning the second 2 rounds..

Irish Pride
01-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Most went the way I figured.. But Coleman and Shogun both looked that they need to get in better shape.. Coleman is 44.. not everyone can be Randy.. but he did look good..

Marcus rocked Da House!!!!

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/daspiritwalker/93.jpg

I don't see how a judge could have said Rich won that fight .. all three rounds.. I saw Rich losing the first.. but winning the second 2 rounds..

So you thought Rich should have won the fight? I agreed with Dan when he says he felt he (Dan) won the first two rounds and Rich could have won the third.

Tyburn
01-21-2009, 11:16 PM
I think its about time Fighters got punished for being uncoordinated.

A headbutt and an eye poke in so many rounds, not warned, and then seems suprised when one Judge penalizes him. I think Judges should be allowed to remove points even if low blows and illegal strikes are accidents...its still a mistake, it can still change the course of a match.

I've withdrawn my support from Dan Henderson. I'm going to wait and see what TUF reveals. I dont take issue with the decision...but I watched the replay, and I think the eyepoke was deliberate...or maybe a product of negligence.

I cant believe that Lytle lost...but I did say I believed that would be the match of the night.

As for Rua...yes...poor show, but I think Coleman did fine considering his age.

Tyburn
01-21-2009, 11:20 PM
I dont think thats what the judge was saying. I think the judge was deducting points from Henderson because he made so many illegal strikes. That would rule out rounds one and three...and round two was Franklin

et viole...three rounds to Franklin

Its not accurate...BUT it raises a good point, when the Refs are no longer penalizing fighters, I think the Judges should. You watch, if the insitution were to use this to highlight fighter saftey...the amount of low blows and illegal strikes are on the rise...its only a matter of time before a fighters career is ended by an accidental eyepoke or something...Regardless of whether its deliberate or not...its still a mistake...its about time it qualified as a loss of points.

I was so angered by this I was half way through writing an article about it :rolleyes:

VCURamFan
01-22-2009, 01:12 AM
I enjoyed the card. The Lytle/Davis fight was awesome, with both throwing so much power, but from different bases (brawler vs. boxer).

I was bummed about Jeremy's loss, though. He's prolly gonna get dropped from the UFC now. Anyone happen to notice who was in his corner, btw? :whistle:

I thought Kang would KTFO Alan. Whoops.

The 1st round of Rua/Coleman was fun. After that, I just kept waiting for Pete Williams to run in, shove Rua out of the way & kick Coleman in the face.

I thought Rich won the fight. Can't really say why, specifically, but I thought he did, 29-28.

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 01:14 AM
cards like this is why i watch online for free now.

Max
01-22-2009, 01:20 AM
I dont think thats what the judge was saying. I think the judge was deducting points from Henderson because he made so many illegal strikes. That would rule out rounds one and three...and round two was Franklin

that would kinda work except that he had the fight scored 30 - 27 which means he scored every round 10 - 9 Rich. If he were deducting points every time there was an illegal blow (the headbutt in round 1 and eye poke in round 3) he should have scored those 2 rounds 10 - 8 or 9 - 9.

Over all the card was ok. Im glad Dan won and IMO I had the fight scored 29 - 28 Hendo.

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 01:24 AM
what's with Couture's name in your sig, LOL?

VCURamFan
01-22-2009, 01:30 AM
cards like this is why i watch online for free now.

I concur, sir.

Max
01-22-2009, 01:30 AM
what's with Couture's name in your sig, LOL?
hell if I know I just found the pic and thought it was funny.

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 01:31 AM
hell if I know I just found the pic and thought it was funny.

Dave probably made it, he likes to misspell words. :D

jignpig
01-22-2009, 01:32 AM
that would kinda work except that he had the fight scored 30 - 27 which means he scored every round 10 - 9 Rich. If he were deducting points every time there was an illegal blow (the headbutt in round 1 and eye poke in round 3) he should have scored those 2 rounds 10 - 8 or 9 - 9.

Over all the card was ok. Im glad Dan won and IMO I had the fight scored 29 - 28 Hendo.
you really thought dan won? i really felt ace had it. my bro in law busts me when i faver a fighter and call bs, but i really felt rich won. ill watch it again and see what i think. now it seemd to me hendo was gassin out at the end, if this had been a title fight i think rich would have ground out the victory. youre thoughts?...

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 01:34 AM
i like the new sig

Max
01-22-2009, 01:35 AM
you really thought dan won? i really felt ace had it. my bro in law busts me when i faver a fighter and call bs, but i really felt rich won. ill watch it again and see what i think. now it seemd to me hendo was gassin out at the end, if this had been a title fight i think rich would have ground out the victory. youre thoughts?...
I thought Dan won rounds 1 and 2 and Rich won round 3. Had the fight been a 5 rounder I think Rich would have pulled it out.

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 01:36 AM
decision Dan pulls it out again

Max
01-22-2009, 01:38 AM
i like the new sig

random words so character limit is reached.

jignpig
01-22-2009, 01:39 AM
I thought Dan won rounds 1 and 2 and Rich won round 3. Had the fight been a 5 rounder I think Rich would have pulled it out.
10-4 good buddy

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 01:39 AM
i usually put smilies or ...... to reach my quota, LOL

Max
01-22-2009, 01:42 AM
i usually put smilies or ...... to reach my quota, LOL
i went with one :) but I thought 2 would look weird

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 01:39 PM

Yes...I see what you mean. I assume that the difference in score wasnt due to Henderson losing a round, but due to him being careless.

The only reason I'm happy Henderson won, is that it will push him under the TUF bus rather then Franklin again. Franklin didnt sound like he really wanted to do TUF again...and someone different means a whole Tabla Vasa doesnt it :laugh:

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Dave probably made it, he likes to misspell words. :D
:) Hi Andreas! Glad to see you forgot to capitalize your own screen name when you reregistered :laugh:

VCURamFan
01-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Dave, is it going to eat at you today, knowing that goat's got more posts than you? :whistle:

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Dave, is it going to eat at you today, knowing that goat's got more posts than you? :whistle:
:laugh: Not at all.

In terms of Forum History it took me nearly a year to beat Andreas, and for half that period he was AWOL. I just do my thang...maybe he'll get bored and leave again and I'll come out on top...but you have to remember if Andreas had chosen to stay full time since 2006...he would have had almost double my post count. I was only top dog because he spent nearly a year and a half not posting at all :laugh:

Jonlion
01-22-2009, 07:38 PM
I was pleased to see Hendo win, he seems to be real tough to beat.

The thing is i have no doubt in my mind that he won the first two rounds, for me no arguement, close, but he just did seem overall the better fighter.

However, you got the feeling the longer it went on, the more and more Rich would dominate and win. So yeah defo agree that in a title fight, Franklin woulda done it. Its strange as Hendo, if i remember correctly was fine with Rampage over 5 rounds.

As he said he was disapointed in his cardio.

Now whilst i like Bisping, i am looking forward to Dan finishing it with a real good right he is famed for, and all that momentum behind him would make him ready to dethrone Anderson.

Lytle and Davis was good, just sad Lytle didnt take it. One of the many redeeming things the UFC does is look after fighters who entertain and come to fight and are well behaved. Hence the fact they always utilise a brilliant Chris lytle.

Coleman look emaciated at Light Heavy, i think he'll do a lot better at Heavy. Whislt Shogun looks distinctly average, i hope i get the see him at his best again.

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 07:52 PM
As he said he was disapointed in his cardio.

He should have been dissapointed in his illegal strikes. :angry:

Jonlion
01-22-2009, 09:09 PM
He should have been dissapointed in his illegal strikes. :angry:

It happens. the coming of the heads is eachothers fault, its just unfortunate but its gonna happen when you have two men fighting.

The eye poke did look nasty but again, it was never intentional.

I don't think it changed things for the fight, Fraklin was always going to win the 3rd round but never finish it.

So Hendo still wins, 29-28 in my view.

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 09:33 PM
It happens. the coming of the heads is eachothers fault, its just unfortunate but its gonna happen when you have two men fighting.

The eye poke did look nasty but again, it was never intentional.

I don't think it changed things for the fight, Fraklin was always going to win the 3rd round but never finish it.

So Hendo still wins, 29-28 in my view.

I dont think it would have changed the result...and the headbutt, your right looked accidental...but the eyepoke looked deliberate on the replay...I mean because it was a finger and not a thumb...if he's punching, what is he doing with his fingers uncurled so close to Franklins face????

Even if its unitentional...I think fighters should be punished for it on the scorecards...and I also think its one too many in one fight for a maineventer, He either did it deliberately or was just careless...eitherway...the eyepoke shouldnt have happened...and more people should be pointing this out...I cant tell you how many journalists have avoided it all together...but they'll scream and Rua for his performance...

Max
01-23-2009, 01:16 AM
but the eyepoke looked deliberate on the replay...I mean because it was a finger and not a thumb...if he's punching, what is he doing with his fingers uncurled so close to Franklins face????
see Dave you have it all wrong. Dan did not deliberately poke Rich in the eye, Rich tried to break Dan's fingers by smashing his face into Dan's hand. Dan was lucky he was not hurt :laugh:

VCURamFan
01-23-2009, 05:15 AM
see Dave you have it all wrong. Dan did not deliberately poke Rich in the eye, Rich tried to break Dan's fingers by smashing his face into Dan's hand. Dan was lucky he was not hurt :laugh:You're both wrong. Rich was in danger of knocking Dan out & needed to give him time to recover. He intentionally threw his eye into Dan's finger so that the ref would have stop call a time-out, allowing Dan to recover & finish the round & keeping Rich from having to coach TUF.

Tyburn
01-23-2009, 01:53 PM
:laugh: This has turned into a circus and we're only in day two :frantics:

Spiritwalker
01-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Rich definatley won round 3, looked to me like he won round 2.. Hendo won round 1, no question.

No way Rich took that as a 30.

The headbutt was accidental, the finger poke was too late in the fight to have mattered much. And that is a problem with defensive fighting. You open your hand for many things.. it's a risk. Not a large one, but still part of the game.

No harm, no foul.

I am wondering if there is a prevision that would have allowed the fight to end right there.. and go to the judges if the eye poke was that bad.

Doubt it, but it's a similiar question to "No Contest" fights.. if a fight reaches a certain point, should that be allowed to be a stopping point in the case of a "foul" stoppage.. similiar to Mirko Filipović vs Alistair Overeem (though the groin shots were considered accidental).

Tyburn
01-23-2009, 07:39 PM
No harm, no foul.

I am wondering if there is a prevision that would have allowed the fight to end right there.. and go to the judges if the eye poke was that bad.
.:huh: tell that to Franklin...the effects of the eyepoke didnt dissapear with the end of the round :cry:

atomdanger
01-23-2009, 07:46 PM
UFC 93 was a pretty sub par event in my opinion.

Shogun looked bad, but I am going to wait until his next fight to made any comments on him just yet,
He had a long layoff and two major knee surgeries.
See we shall see...

and I am just not impressed with Dan Henderson since he came from Pride.
*shrug*

I liked it when The Hitman won though
http://i41.tinypic.com/2570rye.gif

I definitely didn't enjoy seeing this...
http://i39.tinypic.com/15y135.gif

County Mike
01-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Foreigners never get the good UFC cards. Just another reason it's good to be an American.

In my opinion, the finger poke looked a little intentional. If I was going to poke someone in the eyes, that's exactly how I would do it. All 4 fingers right at the eyes. One of them's bound to go in. We're actually taught to do it that way in street fight defense.

Franklin didn't want to coach TUF again, so it all worked out. Fight was close enough to not hurt his reputation but Hendo still gets the coaching job. Now I'll root for Hendo to lead our American boys against those brits.

Tyburn
01-23-2009, 09:34 PM
:cry: I know...its true :unsure-1: