PDA

View Full Version : WAMMA's inaugural female rankings

Black Mamba
03-06-2009, 02:29 AM
WAMMA today released the organization's inaugural female rankings, and top fighters Gina Carano (7-0), Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (6-1), Tara LaRosa (16-1) and Megumi Fuji (16-0) have been officially recognized as the world's No. 1-ranked women combatants.

WAMMA's initial efforts include top-10 rankings in the bantamweight (115.1-125 pounds), super bantamweight (125.1-135 pounds), and featherweight (135.1-145 pounds) weight classes.

Carano and Santos were announced as the co-No. 1 fighters of the featherweight division in the release from WAMMA.

"Female MMA has experienced tremendous growth in recent years but many of the sport's top women athletes are still being overlooked," stated WAMMA Rankings Committee Chair Sam Caplan. "With these rankings, WAMMA hopes to help bring greater awareness to the depth that exists in female MMA. We also hope that these rankings are used to create championships in multiple weight classes, which will in turn create bigger opportunities for female fighters."

Long considered among the world's best, LaRosa was awarded the No. 1 spot in the super bantamweight division, while Japanese star Fuji was voted as the top-ranked woman at bantamweight.

While WAMMA currently recognizes Fedor Emelianenko and Shinya Aoki as its heavyweight and lightweight champions, respectively, on the men's side of the sport, the organization's lack of commitment from the UFC has lead to widespread questioning of the legitimacy of both the rankings and the belt.

WAMMA should not immediately face the same dilemma in the women's rankings, and WAMMA CEO Michael Lynch pointed to the shared No. 1 ranking by Carano and Santos as a clear-cut opportunity for the group to award its first female world title.

"I had a strong feeling that Gina Carano and Cris Cyborg would be ranked in the top two spots in the 145-pound weight class in WAMMA's debut rankings," Lynch stated. "However, I was very surprised to see that WAMMA's pollsters were collectively torn when it came time to determine a No. 1-ranked fighter. I think it goes without saying that female MMA would gain a tremendous boost if a match was signed to determine the clear cut number one female featherweight fighter in the world."

Santos will next compete for Strikeforce against WAMMA's No. 7-ranked super bantamweight Hitomi Akano. Carano is rumored to be fighting for the organization in May, and the two have been linked together for a possible showdown in late summer or fall 2009.

The full rankings are currently posted on WAMMA's official website. The committee will update the rankings on a monthly basis.
http://www.gowamma.com/Rankings

Hughes_GOAT
03-06-2009, 02:46 AM
Cyborg is a dude and will mutilate Gina

Spiritwalker
03-06-2009, 03:17 AM
Cyborg is a dude and will mutilate Gina

I think Santos may very well be a man.... :)

But I think Gina will get her a good run for her money.

Hughes_GOAT
03-06-2009, 03:37 AM
But I think Gina will get her a good run for her money.

i hope, it would be good for ratings. or at least not get her face messed up too much. she has more to lose.

Bonnie
03-06-2009, 04:13 AM
Well, I went and found some pictures of her...she definitely has strong features and very muscular (more so than what I've see on Gina and other fight girls). :unsure-1:

Those hands of hers sure look like they could :punch: into another world. :scared0015:

I don't like seeing when the girls hit each other in the face. :cry:

Hughes_GOAT
03-06-2009, 04:33 AM

me neither. i prefer them in triangles and guard.

mikthehick
03-06-2009, 06:44 AM
They should show these on tv for sure, Gina wins by TKO for sure next time. :)

But then again, thats just a biased opinion:cool:

Miss Foxy
03-06-2009, 06:45 AM
Gina is my girl!!! Oh shes so gorgeous!!:rolleyes:

MattHughesRocks
03-06-2009, 07:09 AM
That's what I thought too Bonnie, until I saw it. Then I was like " KILL THAT BITCH!" Now that I think about it, so was Boomer:w00t: . We went and saw Robbie fight last summer and two chicks were fighting. I forget who. I don't follow chick fighters but one of them Josh Barrnett was cornering and as I was coming out of the girls bathroom Josh was blocking the door so no one else could get in cause his chick fighter was in there :laugh:

VCURamFan
03-06-2009, 07:16 AM
That's what I thought too Bonnie, until I saw it. Then I was like " KILL THAT BITCH!" Now that I think about it, so was Boomer:w00t: . We went and saw Robbie fight last summer and two chicks were fighting. I forget who. I don't follow chick fighters but one of them Josh Barrnett was cornering and as I was coming out of the girls bathroom Josh was blocking the door so no one else could get in cause his chick fighter was in there :laugh:Is that when you stole a hair sample & started trying to clone him?:unsure-1:

MattHughesRocks
03-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Hey, I don't even like him really. It's just that Goat gave him to me so............and I'm completely fascinated on how he just keeps showing up where ever I am :unsure-1:

Is that when you stole a hair sample & started trying to clone him?:unsure-1:

Hughes_GOAT
03-06-2009, 07:23 AM
That's what I thought too Bonnie, until I saw it. Then I was like " KILL THAT BITCH!" Now that I think about it, so was Boomer:w00t: . We went and saw Robbie fight last summer and two chicks were fighting. I forget who. I don't follow chick fighters but one of them Josh Barrnett was cornering and as I was coming out of the girls bathroom Josh was blocking the door so no one else could get in cause his chick fighter was in there :laugh:

where was this? i'll ask him. probably Shayna.

Hughes_GOAT
03-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Hey, I don't even like him really. It's just that Goat gave him to me so............and I'm completely fascinated on how he just keeps showing up where ever I am :unsure-1:

you told me you thought he was a cutie :laugh:

VCURamFan
03-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Hey, I don't even like him really. It's just that Goat gave him to me so............and I'm completely fascinated on how he just keeps showing up where ever I am :unsure-1:Yeah sure, same way you don't even really like GSP, huh?:laugh:

MattHughesRocks
03-06-2009, 07:32 AM
He was the very first time I ever saw him and he was sitting two chairs over. I didnt even know who he was! He was just cute then so I asked if i could take a picture :laugh:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/blondiefighter.jpg
That was him! :w00t:

you told me you thought he was a cutie :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
03-06-2009, 07:33 AM
GSP is a boy. Josh is a man! :w00t:

Yeah sure, same way you don't even really like GSP, huh?:laugh:

VCURamFan
03-06-2009, 07:34 AM
GSP is a boy. Josh is a man! :w00t:I'm not sure I understand...are you saying you like them childish & immature?

Yessssss, I've still got a shot!!!!!:frantics::jumping0047:

MattHughesRocks
03-06-2009, 07:35 AM
:laugh:

I'm not sure I understand...are you saying you like them childish & immature?

Yessssss, I've still got a shot!!!!!:frantics::jumping0047:

Hughes_GOAT
03-06-2009, 07:36 AM
He was just cute then so I asked if i could take a picture :laugh:

in some states that's enough to be considered married.

btw, where were you when he was shielding the ladies room?

MattHughesRocks
03-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Stockton Ca. Last July.

in some states that's enough to be considered married.

btw, where were you when he was shielding the ladies room?

Hughes_GOAT
03-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Stockton Ca. Last July.

did you talk to him

MattHughesRocks
03-06-2009, 08:04 AM
No but I was in his hotel room before he got back:unsure-1: . We had to leave because I had to work the next day and he was off with Fiore and Pena doing press or something:laugh:
Here's some pics

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Robbie%20Lawler%20Fights%207_26_2008/Robbieft10.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Robbie%20Lawler%20Fights%207_26_2008/Robbieft11.jpg

He was praying as he had a long introduction :laugh:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Robbie%20Lawler%20Fights%207_26_2008/DSCF1000.jpg
Me and Boom:ashamed:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Robbie%20Lawler%20Fights%207_26_2008/robbieft3.jpg

Boom. We were stuck outside in the 100+ heat for hours. thought I'd die...or cry :blink:

did you talk to him

Hughes_GOAT
03-06-2009, 08:09 AM
No but I was in his hotel room before he got back:unsure-1: .

you were in Barnett's room?

and Boom, are those Veneers?

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Robbie%20Lawler%20Fights%207_26_2008/DSCF1000.jpg

MattHughesRocks
03-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Oh no, not Josh's room:laugh: Robbie's. Josh left after his girl fought ( she lost by the way)
I didnt talk to Josh in the bathroom no, he had to get to the cage with the girl to fight and I was in a hurry to get back. Sorry, no make out stories Goat:sad:

Hughes_GOAT
03-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Sorry, no make out stories Goat:sad:

:sad:

MattHughesRocks
03-06-2009, 08:25 AM
There will be next time I promise :)

:sad:

Hughes_GOAT
03-06-2009, 08:27 AM
There will be next time I promise :)

does Josh know about this?

VCURamFan
03-06-2009, 08:29 AM
does Josh know about this?Does he need to?:ninja:

Hughes_GOAT
03-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Does he need to?:ninja:

his girlfriend does :laugh:

VCURamFan
03-06-2009, 08:38 AM
his girlfriend does :laugh:If it's a different area codes, it's not cheating!:Whistle:

Hughes_GOAT
03-06-2009, 08:46 AM
If it's a different area codes, it's not cheating!:Whistle:

women never seem to buy that one :unsure:

Chuck
03-06-2009, 11:44 AM
He was the very first time I ever saw him and he was sitting two chairs over. I didnt even know who he was! He was just cute then so I asked if i could take a picture :laugh:

He reminds me of Mr Incredible from the cartoon!!!

Jeff Crow
03-06-2009, 07:19 PM
:ninja:

Llamafighter
03-06-2009, 07:46 PM

That was that snake-eye chick who kept looking seductively into the camera. Gina trashed her!
I think Cyborg will have a tough time with Gina. I think Gina will win by sub!

Max
03-07-2009, 03:56 AM
Has Gina ever made weight at 145?????

Hughes_GOAT
03-07-2009, 04:01 AM
as long as they both make out at the end....i don't care who wins.