PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for womens' self-defense

Play The Man
02-02-2011, 07:19 AM
My wife is a prominent and accomplished person and now has a stalker. She has received anonymous obscene phone calls and now anonymous obscene/x-rated letters. We don't know the identity of the stalker. He knows her cell phone number and work address. We have reasonable home security - new locks, perimeter tone alarms, motion detector lights, home security alarm, gun, pepper spray, dogs, and we live next-door to a retired police chief. She is meeting with the police tomorrow and a security guard is going to be walking her to her car. Any other suggestions? I am trying to convince her to take a gun course and I wanted her to at least take a self-defense course, if not enroll in a martial arts program. What martial art would be best for a petite woman? It should probably involve defense against weapons.

Bonnie
02-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Play, that is just awful! I can't help with any recommendations or advice about martial arts and self defense, but sounds like a good idea. I have seen some programs about stalkers...where they have people who specialize, who have backgrounds, etc... in dealing with and advising on this very thing. Just a thought... I hope the police find this person soon. No one should have to live with constant fear like this.

I'll be praying for y'all.

TexasRN
02-02-2011, 10:49 AM
It really depends on what you have available in your area. I would say that she should take the gun class ONLY if she is going to carry it full time and she has to be able to shoot to kill. No doubts, no hesitation.

I have taken several self defense courses, a little Hapkido, and some JJ. I have to say that one of the self defense courses did a really great job of preparing you for what an attack is really like. At the end of it, they had us go into a pitch black room one by one. They would then "attack" us from behind while screaming so that you got that huge scare at the beginning and you still had to work through it to get away. They wore full body protection so we could really hit and kick to get away. The Hapkido class I took was geared for self defense and taught gun and knife defense as well as joint locks, throws, and strikes.

I hope the stalker gets caught soon. I'm so sorry she's having to go through this. It's really scary.

~Amy

County Mike
02-02-2011, 11:29 AM
My instructors taught a few women's self defense courses and I got to help out as "the bad guy". What struck me most about the course is the mental instructions. The physical stuff takes a lot of practice to really perfect so it's helpful, but only if it's something she'll do over and over for a length of time.

The most beneficial parts of the course were the bits of advice.

1. Be aware of your surroundings. Look under the cars for feet. Have your keys ready. etc.
2. Always fight back. Don't let anyone take you, even if they're holding a gun. If they're willing to shoot you in public, they're willing to do a lot more once they get you somewhere private. Fight back with all you have. If you let them take you, it will NOT end well. Be as loud as possible and yell for help while fighting. If you get the chance, run away towards a populated area.

If she's not sure about carrying a gun, at least get her a tazer. Make sure she keeps it in her hand whenever in a vulnerable area.

Best of luck.

Spiritwalker
02-02-2011, 11:37 AM
My instructors taught a few women's self defense courses and I got to help out as "the bad guy". What struck me most about the course is the mental instructions. The physical stuff takes a lot of practice to really perfect so it's helpful, but only if it's something she'll do over and over for a length of time.

1. Be aware of your surroundings. Look under the cars for feet. Have your keys ready. etc.
2. Always fight back. Don't let anyone take you, even if they're holding a gun. If they're willing to shoot you in public, they're willing to do a lot more once they get you somewhere private. Fight back with all you have. If you let them take you, it will NOT end well. Be as loud as possible and yell for help while fighting. If you get the chance, run away towards a populated area.

If she's not sure about carrying a gun, at least get her a tazer. Make sure she keeps it in her hand whenever in a vulnerable area.

Best of luck.

Well Said!!!
One of the best weapons a woman can carry..an Air Horn... sounds silly.. but you hear one of those in a parking lot... people will look...

for standard martial arts.. it becomes a matter of preference...

have her contact a rape prevention group..or the local police.. they can direct you guys to a "down and dirty" self defense class.. just what you/she needs for quick and basic training..

We teach a womens self defense class that has nothing to do with kata and pressure points and "the icing on the cake"...and being aware of your surroundings is a big part of it...

Twinsmama
02-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Oh my gosh that is crazy!! It sucks that you guys are going to be so stressed until this person is caught and dealt with. I can't even imagine. I think a taser is a good idea also. she could hold it in her hand as she walks almost anywhere. most people wouldn't even know what it is. (In our state you still have to have a concealed weapons permit to carry a taser)

a gun on the other hand she can't carry in her hand. i only believe people that are very comfortable with guns should carry them. so if shes hesitant i wouldn't push that. i have a gun i keep with me. i work alone a lot of days and often go into mens homes by myself. (i sell homeowners ins) i also work late and walk down a stairway that is dark and has an big openind underneath the landing 1/2 way down, then walk across a dark parking lot to get to my car. (stupid i know but i gotta make the $) i have a little case that clips inside of my skirt so i could grab it easily and it is small so no one knows it is there. at dark i even keep it in my hand sometimes. there are many small lightweight guns these days. (mine is a 38special S&W airweight)i also have a bright pink pepper spray on my keychain.

i think what mike said about screaming and making a lot of noise no matter what is being done to you is the best advice. depending on how worried you are she may even want to take a defensive driving course. if she is protected at work, on the way to her car, and then again when she gets home the stalker would know she is alone in her car. make sure and find out your law there on when you can use deadly force.

hopefully this is all stuff that will never be used or needed. I'm so worried for her so please let us know how things go.

Miss Foxy
02-02-2011, 05:03 PM

2. Always fight back. Don't let anyone take you, even if they're holding a gun. If they're willing to shoot you in public, they're willing to do a lot more once they get you somewhere private. Fight back with all you have. If you let them take you, it will NOT end well. Be as loud as possible and yell for help while fighting. If you get the chance, run away towards a populated area.If she's not sure about carrying a gun, at least get her a tazer. Make sure she keeps it in her hand whenever in a vulnerable area.

Best of luck.
Thats life saving advice! I tell my daughter and all females I know don't get in a car if they threaten let the person shoot you! You wont be tortured and chances are they wont shoot because it will cause a scene.
PTM I truly feel hope your wife gets some kind of help. This is sickening, sad, and scary that she has to endure this..:sad: Some people really need to be locked away with no key. :angry:

rockdawg21
02-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Sorry to hear about that, I couldn't even imagine how I'd feel if my wife had to deal with that!

My wife is also very small/petite at 5'0". If I had to choose 1 sole method of self-defense for my wife, it would be Krav Maga. Krav Maga is very good situational self-defense and is taught to elite special forces groups. It emphasizes hand-to-hand combat including wrestling (and other grappling) and striking. We practice strikes when an attacker has a knife, gun, brass knuckles, superior size/strength, standing, on our backs, chokes (standing, front/behind, on our backs), etc. We also learn how to properly fight with knives and retain the gun once taken from the attacker. Krav Maga attacks are VERY brutal, designed to subdue an attacker immediately by attacking the most vulnerable parts/pressure points on the body:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga

Here are some photos of petite female Kristine Ho, who is a Krav Maga expert:

Lipstick commercial & attack (this is awesome!): http://current.com/groups/almay-pure-blends-vcam/89963633_almay-krav-maga-tarantino.htm

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v142/234/104/2524578/n2524578_37424639_9175.jpghttp://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v142/234/104/2524578/n2524578_37424640_9357.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v194/234/104/2524578/n2524578_39871926_6875.jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v194/234/104/2524578/n2524578_39871929_7477.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v194/234/104/2524578/n2524578_39871937_8696.jpghttp://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v194/234/104/2524578/n2524578_39871948_575.jpg

flo
02-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Oh no, this is terrible news! I'm very sorry to hear that, PTM. I don't know what to add to your precautions except would she be willing to get a license to carry a concealed weapon? Also, have a shotgun at home rather than (or in addition to) a handgun. If the worst-case scenario arose and you had to defend yourself, better to not have to "aim" to stop someone.

Gavin DeBecker, a personal security expert, wrote a must-read for anyone facing such a situation -The Gift of Fear. I think it mayalso help your wife to feel more secure.

God Bless

flo
02-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Country Mike's suggestion for a taser is excellent in lieu of carrying a gun.

Bonnie
02-02-2011, 05:48 PM

Best of luck.

You hear that a lot from law enforcement personnel. They can't stress it enough.

Bonnie
02-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Oh no, this is terrible news! I'm very sorry to hear that, PTM. I don't know what to add to your precautions except would she be willing to get a license to carry a concealed weapon? Also, have a shotgun at home rather than (or in addition to) a handgun. If the worst-case scenario arose and you had to defend yourself, better to not have to "aim" to stop someone.

Gavin DeBecker, a personal security expert, wrote a must-read for anyone facing such a situation -The Gift of Fear. I think it mayalso help your wife to feel more secure.

God Bless

Flo, I couldn't remember his name (I could picture his face in my mind's eye though), but it was Gavin DeBecker that I've seen on these programs talking about stalkers. From what I've seen, he'd be a good source.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
02-02-2011, 11:19 PM
On the Martial Arts part you may consider Krav Maga! Providing its avialable and affordable! Beyond that I like alot of the precuations you say you are taking!

adamt
02-03-2011, 12:12 AM
best bet is to never be alone.......never ever.

next thing...... http://www.wimp.com/electricityjacket/

County Mike
02-03-2011, 12:22 AM
best bet is to never be alone.......never ever.

next thing...... http://www.wimp.com/electricityjacket/

That's why I always wear a full rubber suit when I attack women. Plus it's stylish.

adamt
02-03-2011, 01:06 AM
That's why I always wear a full rubber suit when I attack women. Plus it's stylish.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_68dc2X9bOzA/TKpdOM5JiSI/AAAAAAAACW4/ANX_qJIVQXw/s1600/Full+Body+condom+costume.jpg

Twinsmama
02-03-2011, 07:58 PM
were the police any help? i hope once they get involved they can track this person down. no one should live in fear of their safety!

Play The Man
02-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions. Unfortunately, due to workplace, city, and/or state laws/regulations, concealed carry of a firearm or taser is not a possibility. Krav Maga is an excellent suggestion but unfortunately we don't have a training center in our area. I'll use the airhorn idea. Based upon Flo's recommendation, I downloaded "The Gift of Fear" on my iPad. Perhaps providentially, I recently was notified that I won a revolver as a prize in a sweepstakes.

Play The Man
02-06-2011, 12:05 AM
were the police any help? i hope once they get involved they can track this person down. no one should live in fear of their safety! Not much. On a side note, I was just notified that our credit card was compromised, our neighbor across the street was just burgled and a shifty-looking man (e.g. neck tattoo) came to our door selling something. I suspect he was casing our place to see if anyone was home.

TexasRN
02-06-2011, 01:01 AM
Not much. On a side note, I was just notified that our credit card was compromised, our neighbor across the street was just burgled and a shifty-looking man (e.g. neck tattoo) came to our door selling something. I suspect he was casing our place to see if anyone was home.

Oh my gosh. That's all so creepy. Stay safe!

~Amy

Bonnie
02-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Not much. On a side note, I was just notified that our credit card was compromised, our neighbor across the street was just burgled and a shifty-looking man (e.g. neck tattoo) came to our door selling something. I suspect he was casing our place to see if anyone was home.

I was wondering if the police would really be able to help until or unless something happens... :unsure-1:

DonnaMaria
02-06-2011, 01:07 AM

That is all horrible! What a horrible, horrible situation!!!!
Would you be able to hire a bodyguard?

flo
02-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Yes, stay safe! That was really creepy. I hope the PTM family will be in a position to move to the burbs.

TexasRN
02-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Are you able to get a dog, maybe? I know I feel safer having a big dog in the house. Plus, he's really great company.

~Amy

adamt
02-06-2011, 02:30 AM
Are you able to get a dog, maybe? I know I feel safer having a big dog in the house. Plus, he's really great company.

~Amy

this might be the best idea yet.....

also what state are you in ptm????sounds like something off law and order or a movie.....

DonnaMaria
02-06-2011, 02:41 AM
I think he said he had dogs........but maybe a BIG dog should be considered for the future.

You should get a Cane Corso. An Italian Mastiff. Massive, aloof, protective and one hell of a bark.

DonnaMaria
02-06-2011, 02:42 AM
this might be the best idea yet.....

also what state are you in ptm????sounds like something off law and order or a movie.....

It is. Living it must be a nightmare.

County Mike
02-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions. Unfortunately, due to workplace, city, and/or state laws/regulations, concealed carry of a firearm or taser is not a possibility. Krav Maga is an excellent suggestion but unfortunately we don't have a training center in our area. I'll use the airhorn idea. Based upon Flo's recommendation, I downloaded "The Gift of Fear" on my iPad. Perhaps providentially, I recently was notified that I won a revolver as a prize in a sweepstakes.

I'd get her a stun gun anyway, despite the law. They have some that look like cell phones. If she ever needs to use it, I'd rather deal with the law than the alternative.

DonnaMaria
02-06-2011, 03:23 PM
I'd get her a stun gun anyway, despite the law. They have some that look like cell phones. If she ever needs to use it, I'd rather deal with the law than the alternative.

That's true.

rockdawg21
02-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Bummer to hear. Weapons are always good and there are some that she could legally carry.

- Expandable steel baton: http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Martial_Arts_Weapons/Batons.aspx
- Eskrima Sticks (take classes if possible to learn how to really use these, if not, there are great DVDs on this site): http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Martial_Arts_Weapons/Escrimas.aspx
- Pepper spray, that stuff is brutal!

TexasRN
02-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Bummer to hear. Weapons are always good and there are some that she could legally carry.

- Expandable steel baton: http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Martial_Arts_Weapons/Batons.aspx
- Eskrima Sticks (take classes if possible to learn how to really use these, if not, there are great DVDs on this site): http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Martial_Arts_Weapons/Escrimas.aspx
- Pepper spray, that stuff is brutal!

Pepper spray does not work on everyone. I am 'immune'. Honest. I was sprayed all over my face during training for the Texas Correctional Officers Academy and while it did everyone else in, I was not affected. One of our guys stripped down to his skivvies and took off running down the highway.:laugh: Also, when people are high, they are not as affected by it.

~Amy

rockdawg21
02-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Pepper spray does not work on everyone. I am 'immune'. Honest. I was sprayed all over my face during training for the Texas Correctional Officers Academy and while it did everyone else in, I was not affected. One of our guys stripped down to his skivvies and took off running down the highway.:laugh: Also, when people are high, they are not as affected by it.

~Amy
Well, you're an anomaly then, lol. Would you say a shoulder lock, kimura, wrist lock, or hammer lock are effective moves in jujitsu? I'm immune to those, but 99 out of every other 100 people aren't. Not everything works, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Boomer
02-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Something to take serious for sure my friend ... lots of crazies out there. If they are coming from a distance ... blow horns are great. I think a good self defense discipline that is not hard to find training for is Judo. Most times the attacker will already in be close range and have contact before you are aware whats going on. Flips, tosses and throws come in handy. I had a woman no bigger than your wife give me a good toss as a "demo". She was a buck 10 .. I'm 215.

I always get picked for those painful demos .... :mellow:

I'll pray that guy gets caught soon ...

On a lighter note ... I thought of you today as I tried Chocolate covered bacon. :laugh: It's real ... and the bacon I had was undercooked .. so it wasn't good. At all. But I see how it could be.

TexasRN
02-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Well, you're an anomaly then, lol. Would you say a shoulder lock, kimura, wrist lock, or hammer lock are effective moves in jujitsu? I'm immune to those, but 99 out of every other 100 people aren't. Not everything works, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

I just like to warn people that pepper spray isn't always effective. And blowback is a real concern at times. Being prepared means also knowing the drawbacks.

Oh, and those locks don't work on me without major adjustments. I'm very loose jointed. :wink: The JJ guys are always freaked out when they roll with me.

~Amy

adamt
02-07-2011, 01:30 AM
i still think my advice of never being alone is the best advice, seconded by amy's advice of getting a dog.... which i took not to mean for the house but more like a seeing eye dog that goes where you go but is used for killing instead of protection..... which btw is like my advice to never be alone..... stalkers are cowards, i don't think they would ever engage two people

rockdawg21
02-07-2011, 02:46 AM
I just like to warn people that pepper spray isn't always effective. And blowback is a real concern at times. Being prepared means also knowing the drawbacks.

Oh, and those locks don't work on me without major adjustments. I'm very loose jointed. :wink: The JJ guys are always freaked out when they roll with me.

~Amy
True, good points.

LOL, yeah, it's funny for me because I use that to my advantage a lot, allowing somebody to sit there and waste energy while I can relax. Kinda like getting choked but the chin is tucked so the opponent gasses trying to pull on nothing. It's good training for a lot of people though as I make a good guinea pig, so people know if they're doing the locks correctly or not.

TexasRN
02-07-2011, 10:53 AM
True, good points.

LOL, yeah, it's funny for me because I use that to my advantage a lot, allowing somebody to sit there and waste energy while I can relax. Kinda like getting choked but the chin is tucked so the opponent gasses trying to pull on nothing. It's good training for a lot of people though as I make a good guinea pig, so people know if they're doing the locks correctly or not.

My instructor makes new guys try locks on me just to prove a point to them for tourneys. It's good for them to have to think of a new plan when what they are doing is not working out. It gets kinda old for me sometimes but I guess that's what being part of a team is about.

~Amy

rockdawg21
02-07-2011, 02:58 PM
My instructor makes new guys try locks on me just to prove a point to them for tourneys. It's good for them to have to think of a new plan when what they are doing is not working out. It gets kinda old for me sometimes but I guess that's what being part of a team is about.

~Amy
LOL, same here, but I really don't mind. The more times the moves are tried on us, the more flexible we become, so it's a good thing ;)

Dethbob
02-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Almost two weeks since we heard from PTM, does anyone know anything?

Llamafighter
02-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Almost two weeks since we heard from PTM, does anyone know anything?

I'll try sending an email and see.

Bonnie
02-18-2011, 02:14 PM
They were doing a stalking story on the news yesterday and it made me think of Play and his wife and what they have been going through.

Shoots like a girl
02-18-2011, 02:37 PM
My older brother is retired Special Forces and when I was a teenager he thought it was imperative that I know how to defend myself even against boys that I knew. So he did teach me a few simple and basic techniques to help me if I were to ever get into trouble. But one of the most important things he ever taught me was to NEVER GIVE UP FIGHTING. Never stop screaming, never stop kicking. Ive passed this on to my teenage daughter now.

Im older now but I remember everything he taught me. I run in the mornings and while I run in a fairly safe neighborhood, you still never know whos out there so I carry a small can of pepper spray in my waistband.

I cannot imagine how you must feel or how scared she must be. I pray that this guy is found and soon!

Play The Man
02-22-2011, 03:13 AM
Thank you all for the concern. I don't want to get into too many details on a public forum. There has actually not been any contact since November (a letter was found in late January but it had been sitting in a pile of unread mail and had a November postmark). We found out a similar letter had been sent to multiple other women at the same workplace in November.

rockdawg21
02-22-2011, 03:28 AM
Good luck with everything. Sounds like it's likely a co-worker, but I'm sure the police are already on top of things.

Bonnie
02-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Play, I'm sure you've done a lot of research on this subject since this nightmare began for your family; I saw this article on this show I've been watching and thought it had some good information that might be helpful for all of us to know. There is a website at the end of the article.

I've been watching this series that the Investigation Discovery (ID) channel has been showing, "Stalked: Someone's Watching"; it's a six-part series on stalking that began last month. Here's some information from the article I was reading online. For the full article, the link is below:

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/C0/20110217/NJNEWS10/102170315/0/NJNEWS10/TV-series-focuses-NJ-woman-s-stalking-ordeal?odyssey=mod%7Clateststories

"In connection with National Stalking Awareness Month and ID's ongoing commitment to support the Department of Justice's commemoration of the Violence Against Women Act, we hope that "Stalked: Someone's Watching' will help to raise awareness of the dangers of stalking, provide effective measures to protect oneself and inform communities about the need for stronger stalking laws," Henry Schleiff, president and general manager of Investigation Discovery said in a news release.

According to federal statistics, 3.4 million U.S. adults — mostly between the ages of 18- and 24-years-old — are stalked each year. Three-quarters of victims know their stalker.

Almost half — about 46 percent of victims — experience at least one unwanted contact per week, according to those statistics from the National Stalking Resource Center, which is part of the National Center for Victims of Crime in Washington.

"(Stalking) is a constant threat," said Katie Gentile, a psychologist and associate professor of counseling and gender studies and the director of the Women's Center at John Jay College in New York.

"It's bullying," she said. "It's an extreme form of power and control."

Gentile said she advises victims to develop hyper-vigilant defenses: know your surroundings; be aware of who is around you; have a cell phone available, but don't talk on it because that's distracting; don't listen to an iPod while walking because that's also distracting; vary your routes to and from home and work or school.

But she said, victims should not be blamed for behaving like human beings, when they're being stalked by someone.

"The onus is on the victims to change their behavior, because they're being stalked," she said. "It's very unfair. It's putting the victim through another level of abuse."

In 1990, California became the first state to criminalize stalking. By 1998, every state in the nation had a statute dealing with the offense, said Michelle Garcia, the director of the National Stalking Resource Center.

There was also a federal stalking statute, but it was not until stalking was made a crime in American Samoa last year, that victims' advocates could finally say that stalking was a crime everywhere in the United States, she said.

"It took 20 years," she said.

In the mid-1990s, states began grappling with the technological aspects of stalking and many began to criminalize cyber-stalking, said Garcia. But instead of writing separate statutes, the National Stalking Resource Center recommends that states incorporate components of cyber-stalking into their current anti-stalking laws. The center also suggests that legislators make sure their laws are broad enough to encompass the technology that exits today, as well as emerging technology, she said.

Garcia said technology is not creating a new bread of stalkers, but it is making stalking easier for them.

"It's facilitating behavior that these offenders have always engaged in," she said.

One in four victims report being stalked through the use of some form of technology, such as e-mail or instant messaging, while 10 percent say they have been monitored by GPS, and 8 percent report being stalked through the use of cameras or listening devices, according to the federal statistics.

Before, tracking victims' whereabouts usually meant stalkers had to sit outside their victims' homes, then follow them.

Now stalkers can attach GPS trackers to cars or set up hidden cameras outside their victims' homes, and monitor victims from their own homes, reducing their chance of being seen, said Garcia.

Constant status updates on Facebook also make it easier for stalkers to keep tabs on their victims, said Gentile.

Stalkers also can also hack into victims' computers and get access to their bills and cellular records to learn who their victims are speaking with by phone, she said.

The National Stalking Resource Center's website provides information for victims, including tips to enhance safety.

For more information and resources, visit the Center's website, at www.ncvc.org/src/Main.aspx