PDA

View Full Version : Is the front elbow a waste of time?

Dethbob
02-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I was watching the Royce vs. Matt fight the other day and I noticed something interesting. For the first few seconds Royce was doing his Royce thing, using footwork and that kick thing to keep distance, and not doing too badly. Then he committed to a front elbow, which Matt slipped easily and then went all ‘Matt Hughes’ on his butt.

Seeing that reminded me of an episode of ‘Fight Science’ that showed a couple of MMA guys hitting force pads with different strikes. The shin kick, knee, and left hook all registered impressive numbers, but when they had Tito demonstrate the front elbow, the number was surprisingly low. Tito jokes aside, why did the front elbow do so poorly?

Maybe someone can help me out with this, can you think of a fight that was decided by the front elbow? My first thought was the Smith vs. Morris, but when I went back and watched it again, it was clear that Scott’s arms were straight from punches before the first elbow landed: the elbows were just bling at that point.

The reverse elbow has plenty of examples to prove its worth, but aside from harassment in ground and pound I’m wondering how much time I should expend on training the front elbow. It seems that for most applications, the hook, hammer fist, and reverse elbow have more effectiveness and versatility. Am I wrong?

County Mike
02-01-2011, 01:34 PM
I don't use the elbow unless I'm already in close. I don't like to close the distance and throw an elbow. Mostly for the reasons you mention above. Just not enough power in it. It's nice to throw as your breaking the clinch or against the ropes but otherwise, I'd stick to punches/kicks.

rearnakedchoke
02-01-2011, 01:39 PM
i think a lot of people throw it rather than a punch as they don't want it grab ... it might be tougher to grab and elbow ... if thrown properly, it could be devastating ..

http://i43.tinypic.com/2nk47ps.gif

Dethbob
02-01-2011, 02:16 PM
As much as I enjoy that GIF, I have seen plenty of guys knock their opponents out cold with a punch from that same position and angle. And if Brandon had slipped that elbow (easier said than done, I know), Jones would have been much farther out of position than if he had thrown a punch.

County Mike
02-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Elbows on the ground can be very effective. My post was talking about standing. Maybe I misunderstood your original post.

Miss Foxy
02-01-2011, 02:32 PM
I agree with County Mike elbows on the ground can be very effective.. I think it looks so awesome too..

rockdawg21
02-01-2011, 02:45 PM
It's only a waste of time if it doesn't land. Just like it's a waste of time to shoot if you don't get the takedown, a waste of a punch if it doesn't connect, etc. :laugh:

Miss Foxy
02-01-2011, 02:54 PM
It's only a waste of time if it doesn't land. Just like it's a waste of time to shoot if you don't get the takedown, a waste of a punch if it doesn't connect, etc. :laugh:

Or if the idiot delivering turns the elbow too much it has no impact..:laugh:Or if the person tries to stab the other person w/his or her elbow.. Basically pointless. Gotta get a nice technique going..

Dethbob
02-01-2011, 03:09 PM
It's only a waste of time if it doesn't...
hit Josh Koscheck!
.. I think it looks so awesome too..
I think that’s mostly why it is so popular.

It seems to be most effective in non-demanding situations, like you already have your forearm on the guy’s face, so why not smack him with it. But putting training time into learning to do it really well doesn’t seem to have enough payoff to justify training that instead of something else.

rearnakedchoke
02-01-2011, 03:30 PM
the gsp/sherk fight also comes to mind ...

Llamafighter
02-01-2011, 03:57 PM
The front elbow is tough because of distance. I've found in Muay Thai that it also leaves you open it a knee strike to the ribs. the only time we really practice is with cutting elbow that would slide down between the glove. set it up with a hook to pull the hands open then...

Miss Foxy
02-01-2011, 04:09 PM
The front elbow is tough because of distance. I've found in Muay Thai that it also leaves you open it a knee strike to the ribs. the only time we really practice is with cutting elbow that would slide down between the glove. set it up with a hook to pull the hands open then...

Pretty good I will keep that in mind.. Not that I practice Muay Thai, but the daughter does so I will keep my eyes out for that!