PDA

View Full Version : Scott Coker: Strikeforce Has The Best Heavyweight Division

snakerattle79
01-31-2011, 07:29 AM
http://steverattlesnake.cliquezone.com/2011/01/scott-coker-strikeforce-has-the-best-heavyweight-division

County Mike
01-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Until recently, I would probably agree with him. Adding Lesnar, Carwin and Velasquez in recent years has really beefed up the UFC's HW division. Dos Santos and Roy Nelson also give it a boost.

rockdawg21
01-31-2011, 03:21 PM
I always heard long term drug use can cause people to be delusional.

adamt
01-31-2011, 03:53 PM

is that why they call him coker

adamt
01-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Until recently, I would probably agree with him. Adding Lesnar, Carwin and Velasquez in recent years has really beefed up the UFC's HW division. Dos Santos and Roy Nelson also give it a boost.

well you couldn't have agreed with him for long, strikeforce is relatively young, and the ufc was only short handed on hw's for a short time.... between the big timmy and AA period and now... and ironically the ufc had AA when he was still good, how can coker stake his claim on AA and Brett rogers, i mean kimbo slice was a contender in strikeforce!

strikeforce has one guy that might hang with the ufc and that is it

flo
01-31-2011, 04:18 PM

:laugh:

Well, they have some great heavyweights. They will force Dana and the UFC to stay competitive. Looked like Coker would have smacked him if he had responded to his question "Do you know another league who has a better HW division?" :scared0015:

I also kept thinking he was saying "Carrothead". :laugh::laugh:

Anyway, interesting interview, thanks for posting it, Adam.

flo
01-31-2011, 04:20 PM

I dunno, I think I'd add Overeem to that list...

bj44
01-31-2011, 04:47 PM
well you couldn't have agreed with him for long, strikeforce is relatively young, and the ufc was only short handed on hw's for a short time.... between the big timmy and AA period and now... and ironically the ufc had AA when he was still good, how can coker stake his claim on AA and Brett rogers, i mean kimbo slice was a contender in strikeforce!

So andrei arlovski who left on a 3 fight win streak and knocked out contender roy nelson couldnt even hang....Josh barnett couldnt hang? Alistair overeem who just knocked out one of the ""new breed" of ufc hw todd duffe:laugh: cant
hang?

zuffa cool aide much???

So getting knocked out by seth means kimbo was a contender??? Plus the guy who dominated the hw division for 5 years can only "hang"??? ok buddy keep thinking guys with 6 fights like lesnar and guys that gass after one round are the cream of the crop

top hws right now are Cain, dos antos, Fedor, and maybe overeem after that theres a hughe drop off... Neither division is that good because lets face it hw's in general is a very small talent pool... Only a small percentage of the population get that big and athletic an the ones that do can make more money not getting beat up for a living!!!

Llamafighter
01-31-2011, 04:48 PM

me too

adamt
01-31-2011, 04:56 PM

maybe thats who i was talking about...:ninja: j/k

seriously though, you have a point...but we shall see if we have a different pov after they fight, i think overeem may get exposed... who has he beat worth mentioning since belfort in '06? Brett "the one trick pony/fabricated contender" rogers?

and don't forget that dos santos is the guy who sent werdum packing out of the ufc, but i still concede that werdum might be a contender now, i just have a hard time buying into the alistair hype wagon

rockdawg21
01-31-2011, 05:00 PM
is that why they call him coker

adamt
01-31-2011, 05:05 PM
So andrei arlovski who left on a 3 fight win streak and knocked out contender roy nelson couldnt even hangwell i love tim sylvia to death but i ain't calling him a contnder, even if he could put together a 3 fight win streak against b fighters....Josh barnett couldnt hang?definitely not, he hasn't had a win over decent fighters in 5 years Alistair overeem who just knocked out one of the ""new breed" of ufc hw todd duffe:laugh: cant
hang?

zuffa cool aide much???

So getting knocked out by seth means kimbo was a contender??? no being called the contender makes you a contender, and strikeforce had him pegged as the greatestPlus the guy who dominated the hw division for 5 years can only "hang"??? ok buddy keep thinking guys with 6 fights like lesnar and guys that gass after one round are the cream of the crop

top hws right now are Cain, dos antos, Fedor, and maybe overeem after that theres a hughe drop off... Neither division is that good because lets face it hw's in general is a very small talent pool... Only a small percentage of the population get that big and athletic an the ones that do can make more money not getting beat up for a living!!!

seriously this is your argument?

knocking out todd duffee makes you legit? well mike russow did it before overeem so i guess he is a top hw too?

bj44
01-31-2011, 05:10 PM
seriously this is your argument?

knocking out todd duffee makes you legit? well mike russow did it before overeem so i guess he is a top hw too?

No i was just pointing out the way the ufc promotes there hw's... People were calling him a "new" breed hw like brock and shane and like both he obviously has a huge flaw in his game... Obvioulsy the UFC were hyping him otherwise they wouldnt have put him as the third fight on a main card in only his second ufc fight... All of strikeforces 8 men tournament guys can "hang" in the ufc... Guys like cheick kongo and Pat barry can "hang"... So sf guy would be able to as well..

J.B.
01-31-2011, 05:48 PM
BREAKING NEWS...

PROMOTERS ACTUALLY PROMOTE THEIR PRODUCT AND NOT OTHER PEOPLES

rockdawg21
01-31-2011, 06:34 PM
BREAKING NEWS...

Cowards!!!

flo
01-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Anyway, interesting interview, thanks for posting it, Adam.

Oop, thought Adam had posted this...

JavierDLC
01-31-2011, 07:39 PM
BREAKING NEWS...

Speaking of which, I find it cool and interesting how the commentators in StrikeForce talk bout UFC fighters during their Broadcast and they don't talk smack they actually have good words to say.

Where as if Joe Rogan or Goldie were to mention someone from another promotion....I'm guessing they would be in deep s^!t

rockdawg21
01-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Speaking of which, I find it cool and interesting how the commentators in StrikeForce talk bout UFC fighters during their Broadcast and they don't talk smack they actually have good words to say.

Where as if Joe Rogan or Goldie were to mention someone from another promotion....I'm guessing they would be in deep s^!t
I noticed that too. When they showed Cain Velasquez, I said to my friend "UFC never does this. Dana White always says he wants to grow MMA, but the difference he wants to be the only one to grow MMA."

JavierDLC
01-31-2011, 08:04 PM
I noticed that too. When they showed Cain Velasquez, I said to my friend "UFC never does this. Dana White always says he wants to grow MMA, but the difference he wants to be the only one to grow MMA."

I don't know if you noticed but Koschek was sitting next to Josh Thomson and so was Fitch but I guess they didn't want to be shown.

rockdawg21
01-31-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't know if you noticed but Koschek was sitting next to Josh Thomson and so was Fitch but I guess they didn't want to be shown.
Yeah, I saw them too. I think Cain was mentioned only because one of his training partners was fighting.

JavierDLC
01-31-2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I saw them too. I think Cain was mentioned only because one of his training partners was fighting.

They are all partners. They are from AKA.

flo
01-31-2011, 09:49 PM
BREAKING NEWS...

Ha! Right you are, JB. I just thought it was funny how Coker seemed to be almost challenging him to disagree.

Here's the line! Just cross it! Just try, go ahead! Don't say I didn't warn you!

Then again, maybe I'm reading more into it than I should.

:happydancing:

flo
01-31-2011, 09:51 PM
Cowards!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You guys are too much!

adamt
01-31-2011, 10:11 PM

it's called name dropping, it's what you do when you're a nobody or a little guy and you want to promote yourself by associating yourselves with somebody bigger and better

big dogs don't gotta drop names, it would be like matt blogging that he trained with paul daley..... who would care?

now if paul daley had a camp with matt, that would be a step up for him

adamt
01-31-2011, 10:13 PM
yeah that last post might have come off snotty but it wasn't intended to be..... i don't want this to turn into a mud slinging contest

adamt
01-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Oop, thought Adam had posted this...

lol :laugh: i just thought snake rattles name was adam too

bj44
01-31-2011, 10:18 PM
it's called name dropping, it's what you do when you're a nobody or a little guy and you want to promote yourself by associating yourselves with somebody bigger and better

big dogs don't gotta drop names, it would be like matt blogging that he trained with paul daley..... who would care?

now if paul daley had a camp with matt, that would be a step up for him

you really hate strikeforce dont you lol

The UFC namedrops celebritys that are in the crowd all the time

adamt
01-31-2011, 10:28 PM
No i was just pointing out the way the ufc promotes there hw's... People were calling him a "new" breed hw like brock and shane and like both he obviously has a huge flaw in his game... Obvioulsy the UFC were hyping him otherwise they wouldnt have put him as the third fight on a main card in only his second ufc fight..thats like complaining that hendo had a title fight rightaway, we all knew hendos creds. All of strikeforces 8 men tournament guys can "hang" in the ufc...haven't half of them already Guys like cheick kongo and Pat barry can "hang"... So sf guy would be able to as well..

cheick kongo and pat barry are up and comers, not what i would consider "hanging"...well what i considered "hanging" was vying for title or #1 contender, i didn't realize we were comparing strikeforces best to the ufc's worst, it makes sense now

and call it new breed or whatever, there is a different set of fighters then there were 10 years ago, it's not AA or Timmy anymore,, granted AA is not completely obsolete, but he is about the same level as mir, who i haven't pegged as a top HW anyways

bj44
01-31-2011, 10:43 PM
cheick kongo and pat barry are up and comers, not what i would consider "hanging"...well what i considered "hanging" was vying for title or #1 contender, i didn't realize we were comparing strikeforces best to the ufc's worst, it makes sense now

and call it new breed or whatever, there is a different set of fighters then there were 10 years ago, it's not AA or Timmy anymore,, granted AA is not completely obsolete, but he is about the same level as mir, who i haven't pegged as a top HW anyways

i didnt know up and comers made there ufc debuts in 2006:laugh:

So your only hanging in the ufc if your a top five fighter???? Thats a weird statment that oesnt make much sense... I guess guys like Rick franklin and Forrest griffin cant hang in the UFC

What make a guy like dos antos better then overeem... cus he fights for the UFC??? on paper Overeem is a better striker and grappler?? The best five in both divisions look pretty even to me... After that theres a huge drop off in both filled with one dimensional or past there prime fighters!!!

rockdawg21
01-31-2011, 11:01 PM
you really hate strikeforce dont you lol

The UFC namedrops celebritys that are in the crowd all the time
Yeah, but he was meaning that the UFC doesn't namedrop for any fighter unless they are UFC or (formerly WEC). If they are fighting for Strikeforce, Bellator, etc., no way would they get their faces on TV!

adamt
02-01-2011, 12:59 AM
guess guys like Rick franklin and Forrest griffin cant hang in the UFCwell they are past champs, i'm sure if they become nonwinners, then strikeforce will be glad to scoop them up and hype them as some kind of champ, unfortunately for sf rich and forrest would still sell tickets on 10 fight losing streaks, so i doubt they are going anywhere

What make a guy like dos antos better then overeem.good question, alistairs last six wins? A who's who of nobody's= Gary Goodridge, tony sylvester, fujita, james thomson, rogers and duffee. dos santos' last six wins? = sf's current champ werdum, crocop, gabe gonzaga, gilbert yvel, and roy nelson.. cus he fights for the UFC???i think the better question is why do you think overeem is better or as good as dos santos? i know why, cause you watch showtime and the propaganda has got to you, on paper Overeem is a better striker and grappler?? what paper? oh you mean pay-per-view, yes, on sf's ppv's we are brainwashed and told that overeem is awesome, and maybe he is, but he certainly hasn't proven itThe best five in both divisions look pretty even to me... After that theres a huge drop off in both filled with one dimensional or past there prime fighters!!!

overeem won his belt by beating rogers! if you want to talk about one trick ponies, talk about brett, and he ain't even that wonderful at striking

fedor- yes very talented, but never fights top talent, and did himself a huge disservice by getting caught by overeem, but that is all it was, getting caught

i was a big fan of fedor, but you got to defend your title and he never does

AA- face it he's old and past his prime, and i was a big fan of the pitbull

sergi- Who? oh that guy that beat overeem a couple years ago and fights only once a year, and didn't the snowman beat him too?

brett- totally hype, no proof or cred

overeem- i have done talked enough about overeem, he just needs to prove it

werdum- i respect werdum alot, he could give the ufc guys a real run for the money

and i wouldn't say there is a long way to the next talent, walker is old but he won again

if cormier would fight i think he has alot of potential

and bobby lashley, i don't know what the problem is with him, but he is proof that you can't just be big atheletic and famous then make it with a pro mma org, there has to be some mma ability there

J.B.
02-01-2011, 01:31 PM
At this point, I find Herschel Walker as intriguing as any of the action in the UFC heavyweight division.

JavierDLC
02-01-2011, 02:50 PM
overeem won his belt by beating rogers! if you want to talk about one trick ponies, talk about brett, and he ain't even that wonderful at striking

fedor- yes very talented, but never fights top talent, and did himself a huge disservice by getting caught by overeem, but that is all it was, getting caught

sergi- Who? oh that guy that beat overeem a couple years ago and fights only once a year, and didn't the snowman beat him too?

werdum- i respect werdum alot, he could give the ufc guys a real run for the money

and i wouldn't say there is a long way to the next talent, walker is old but he won again

and bobby lashley, i don't know what the problem is with him, but he is proof that you can't just be big atheletic and famous then make it with a pro mma org, there has to be some mma ability there

Ahhh I think it was Werdum who beat Fedor not Overeem and I agree Fedor was careless and got caught.

I think Werdum is a joke and would get beat in the UFC. Hell even Struve would knock him out :laugh:
He is just living in his moment of fame cause he submitted Fedor. Props to him but come on he is just another Petruzzeli or however you spell his name I could care less :Whistle:

Overeem hasn't fought big competition in a while but I dont think its smart to say Werdum is better than him. Just my opinion.
I think Overeem can cause some damage everywhere StrikeFarce or UFC.

Neezar
02-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Ahhh I think it was Werdum who beat Fedor not Overeem and I agree Fedor was careless and got caught.

I think Werdum is a joke and would get beat in the UFC. Hell even Struve would knock him out :laugh:
He is just living in his moment of fame cause he submitted Fedor. Props to him but come on he is just another Petruzzeli or however you spell his name I could care less :Whistle:

Overeem hasn't fought big competition in a while but I dont think its smart to say Werdum is better than him. Just my opinion.

Ow! That's cold! Real Cold! :unsure-1:

But funny, too. :laugh:

bj44
02-01-2011, 04:16 PM

Do you know what k1 is

uhhhhhh you know alistair just won the biggest hw kickboxing tournament in the world which is why i say hes a better striker... He aslo is a European adcc qualifyer for grappling and we havnt even seen dos anto ground game yet... Dos antos most impressiv win besides an out of shape werdum was probably co cop... Overeem looked way better against cro cop before he kongoed him then dos antos did.. Mirko was landing that straight left at will on junior the first two rounds!!!

bj44
02-01-2011, 04:18 PM

struve coulnt even knock out buentello and werdum has decent standup... He knocked out gonzaga twice!!!

JavierDLC
02-01-2011, 05:46 PM
struve coulnt even knock out buentello and werdum has decent standup... He knocked out gonzaga twice!!!

Who hasn't ? :wink:

I like Overeem Im a fan.

flo
02-01-2011, 06:48 PM

Who hasn't ? :wink:

:laugh::laugh:

Well, almost everyone...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/mirko.jpg

JavierDLC
02-01-2011, 07:24 PM
:laugh::laugh:

Well, almost everyone...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/mirko.jpg

LOL :laugh:

That's not fair that was a freak of nature like the Fedor vs Werdum fight and the Sonnen vs Silva fight.

Miss Foxy
02-01-2011, 07:25 PM
LOL :laugh:

That's not fair that was a freak of nature like the Fedor vs Werdum fight and the Sonnen vs Silva fight.

I miss Sonnen.. :cry:

JavierDLC
02-01-2011, 08:36 PM
I miss Sonnen.. :cry:

So do I Miss Foxy :grumpy: