PDA

View Full Version : Take Him for Granted Now, but You'll Miss Nick Diaz When He's Gone

VCURamFan
01-27-2011, 08:06 PM
See, Foxy? Two can play the "article with no pictures" game! :tongue0011:

Here's a depressing thought: some day Nick Diaz (http://www.mmafighting.com/tag/Nick+Diaz/) will stop fighting.

Some day, either from the ravages of age, the allure of outside interests, or maybe just a growing distaste for the sport and all its inhabitants, Diaz will take his defiant sneer and his expletive-laden sound bytes and leave us behind.

Whether we realize it yet or not, that's going to be a sad day for MMA. Maybe a better way to put it is, it's going to lead to a bunch of boring days thereafter. Because when you stop and think about it, there may be no more original -- between his interviews, antics, and actual athletic performances -- or more entertaining fighter in the entire sport.

Diaz is a rare creature in the world of pro sports. It's not just that he says what he thinks plenty of athletes do that, or at least have carefully cultivated that appearance. But unlike a Chael Sonnen (http://www.mmafighting.com/tag/Chael+Sonnen/), who simply says the most outrageous thing he can think of with a pro wrestling-style nod and wink, Diaz seems to really believe it.

Of course, just because you believe what you're saying doesn't necessarily mean it's true, or even that it makes a whole lot of sense. Consider last week's Strikeforce conference call (http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/01/20/nick-diaz-rips-mayhem-miller-rumors-welterweight-rankings/) where Diaz griped that while Manny Pacquiao and Georges St. Pierre make millions, he's "over here driving a Honda because my sh-t's breaking down."

This is the same Diaz who made a disclosed total of $100,000 to beat Marius Zaromskis last February. It's also the same Diaz who co-owns a gym in Lodi, California (which, from what I could tell during a recent visit, seemed to be thriving), and the same Diaz who just signed a new contract with Strikeforce. No disrespect to Honda, but it seems as if he ought to be doing a little bit better, and if not then he needs to take a hard look at his management, or at his own decision to re-sign with the company that he suspects of undervaluing him.

We could also look at his claim that the UFC's selective matchmaking favors the stars they want to build up, like Josh Koscheck (http://www.mmafighting.com/tag/Josh+Koscheck/), who Diaz suggested had benefited from especially easy fights early in his career.

"I never had fights like that," said Diaz.

That's the kind of statement that feels true when you think about Diaz's early scraps against Chris Lytle, Robbie Lawler, and Karo Parisyan, but then you stop and remember that as recently as a few years ago he was beating up on the likes of Thomas Denny and Muhsin Corbbrey. Not exactly the best of the best.

The point is, Diaz is entertaining not because he's telling it like it actually, truly is (there are certainly huge holes in his arguments) or because he's trying to put on a show for fame or attention (if anything, he seems like he'd rather be left alone...forever). He'd at least have us believe, or maybe have himself believe, that if he could make the same living in triathlons that he does in MMA, he might never strap on the gloves again.

But as outspoken and unbelievable as he can be at times, Diaz is uncommonly genuine. He's honest, in his way, to the point of self-destruction at times.

Dana White says he'd love to have him in the UFC if he would only "play the game" just a little bit, but that's the whole point: Diaz doesn't seem to realize that there is a game. If he does, he has nothing but disdain for it.

To refrain from starting a post-fight brawl in a situation that he thinks requires it whether it be in front of a live audience on CBS or in front of terrified nurses in a hospital hallway would be some kind of personal failure to him. It would be insincere, and of all the things Diaz might be, insincere definitely doesn't seem to be one of them.

At times that makes him a headache if not a minor heart attack for his employers. And whether he realizes it or not, his behavior has probably cost him a small fortune in missed opportunities over the years. But that only makes his absolute devotion to his lifestyle and his refusal to accommodate others all the more bizarrely impressive.

Honestly, as much as many of us claim that we do whatever we want, or say whatever we feel, we usually don't. If we did, and we found that it was costing us a lot of money that we might otherwise easily have, we'd probably knock it off in a hurry.

In that way, Diaz is living a more authentic life than we are. He is truer to himself, even if that means doing or saying things that range from confusing to downright criminal. He lives honestly, even if it's with a total disregard for decorum or civility much of the time, and he seems content to accept the consequences when necessary.

On top of all that, he's also an amazing fighter to watch. Even Jason "Mayhem" Miller (http://www.mmafighting.com/tag/Jason+Mayhem+Miller/), who dislikes Diaz the person about as much as anyone on the planet, respects Diaz the fighter. It's the whole reason he kept trying to set up a fight with him, Miller said, because he knew Diaz "would really come forward and fight me."

When even your enemies have to admit that you're very, very good at what you do, then at least you know you're doing something right.

Which is why it's sad to hear Diaz express his frustrations with the sport and the pay. It's sad to hear him say he wouldn't do it if he didn't have to (though, admittedly, it's hard to believe).

It's also, in a way, sad to see him methodically knocking off challengers one-by-one in Strikeforce, if only because it reminds us that some day, inevitably, Diaz will up and retire on us. And then what are we supposed to do for quality, authentic entertainment?

Miss Foxy
01-27-2011, 08:09 PM
lol Ben I don't think he's cute though!!! Gotta get me back with one of my hotties. I think Nicks mouth is hot though.. That's it he's not cute to me.. :cry:

Tyburn
01-27-2011, 10:18 PM
I promise you....I wouldnt miss Nick Diaz....I might miss his Brother Nathan though :sad:

Miss Foxy
01-27-2011, 10:20 PM
I promise you....I wouldnt miss Nick Diaz....I might miss his Brother Nathan though :sad:

He loses.. lol. Nick hasn't in a while nor will he anytime soon..

Tyburn
01-27-2011, 10:23 PM

:unsure-1: but he tries a lot harder :laugh:

rockdawg21
01-27-2011, 10:49 PM
http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/37.gif

Tyburn
01-28-2011, 12:02 AM
http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/37.gif

:laugh::laugh:

Rev
01-28-2011, 02:43 AM
So you like those white trash guys?

Neezar
01-28-2011, 12:21 PM
So you like those white trash guys?

What's worse? Saying ugly words or stabbing a pig in cold blood?

:Whistle::laugh:

And the answer to your question is YES!

:laugh:

Spiritwalker
01-28-2011, 01:56 PM
if only because it reminds us that some day, inevitably, Diaz will up and retire on us. And then what are we supposed to do for quality, authentic entertainment?

Wow.. does this guy owe Nick money or what???

What are we supposed to do?? Ermmmm watch other fighters...

It's not like there are 20+ fighters out there that "say what they want".. Look at The Snowman... Jeff Monson... He has prolly ------ away huge amounts of money cause he has stayed true to his belifes.. "good belifes or not"...

Evan Tanner could have made more money prolly if he would have been more "conformative".

Starting/causing fights in a cage.. fighting in a hospital.. constantly being a "bully".. foul mouth.. pot head.. just plain ol bad attitude...

And on top of all that.. that many people have told him.. he wants to complain about money.. well if he acted like a professional fighter.. instead of acting like his whole life was a pro-wrestling shoot interview.. maybe people would want him around more.. and pay him more.. maybe he would get better sponsors other than Zig Zag...

If he acted like an adult.. or at least a professional.. who knows how far he could go...

As it stands now.. he is a 2 bit punk..

The worst thing about Nick Diaz is that on top of all that crap that makes him unlikable.. he can fight great..

What a waste.

Rev
01-28-2011, 02:16 PM
What's worse? Saying ugly words or stabbing a pig in cold blood?

:Whistle::laugh:

And the answer to your question is YES!

:laugh:
lol
nice, those poor little pigs

rearnakedchoke
01-28-2011, 03:02 PM

imo nate is fighting much better competition .. i mean cyborg? but yeah, nick is the big fish in a small pond right now ...

Miss Foxy
01-28-2011, 04:32 PM
imo nate is fighting much better competition .. i mean cyborg? but yeah, nick is the big fish in a small pond right now ...

He's also going to start boxing professionally... Can't wait hope he does well..

rearnakedchoke
01-28-2011, 04:33 PM
He's also going to start boxing professionally... Can't wait hope he does well..

dude's a good athlete .. he does ironman triathlons and stuff ...

Miss Foxy
01-28-2011, 04:35 PM
dude's a good athlete .. he does ironman triathlons and stuff ...

"In boxing, when you're a superstar, you get millions of dollars. In MMA, you're not making that kind of money. We're in negotiations right now with [boxing promoter] Don Chargin. We would very much like to take a boxing match. It would probably be at super middleweight [168 pounds]. There have been a few names kicked around. One of them is Fernando Vargas, another is Ricardo Mayorga."

Diaz coach Cesar Gracie tells ESPN.com that his star pupil is in negotiations to face a yet to be named opponent in boxings Super Middleweight division. The BJPENN.COM number 4 ranked welterweight fighter as we reported recently signed a new contract with Strikeforce. According to reports it was this new contract that laid out terms which allows Diaz to branch off into a different combat sport as early as this year. What do you think BJPENN.COM? Can Diaz make an impact in the world of boxing and get that money he is always talking about...
Tags: mma news, nick diaz, strikeforce, ufc news

rearnakedchoke
01-28-2011, 04:39 PM
"In boxing, when you're a superstar, you get millions of dollars. In MMA, you're not making that kind of money. We're in negotiations right now with [boxing promoter] Don Chargin. We would very much like to take a boxing match. It would probably be at super middleweight [168 pounds]. There have been a few names kicked around. One of them is Fernando Vargas, another is Ricardo Mayorga."

Diaz coach Cesar Gracie tells ESPN.com that his star pupil is in negotiations to face a yet to be named opponent in boxings Super Middleweight division. The BJPENN.COM number 4 ranked welterweight fighter as we reported recently signed a new contract with Strikeforce. According to reports it was this new contract that laid out terms which allows Diaz to branch off into a different combat sport as early as this year. What do you think BJPENN.COM? Can Diaz make an impact in the world of boxing and get that money he is always talking about...
Tags: mma news, nick diaz, strikeforce, ufc news

yeah, vargas or mayorga would be tough for a pro debut .. he'd get killed ...

Miss Foxy
01-28-2011, 10:06 PM

It's not like there are 20+ fighters out there that "say what they want".. Look at The Snowman... Jeff Monson... He has prolly ------ away huge amounts of money cause he has stayed true to his belifes.. "good belifes or not"...

Evan Tanner could have made more money prolly if he would have been more "conformative".

Starting/causing fights in a cage.. fighting in a hospital.. constantly being a "bully".. foul mouth.. pot head.. just plain ol bad attitude...

And on top of all that.. that many people have told him.. he wants to complain about money.. well if he acted like a professional fighter.. instead of acting like his whole life was a pro-wrestling shoot interview.. maybe people would want him around more.. and pay him more.. maybe he would get better sponsors other than Zig Zag...

If he acted like an adult.. or at least a professional.. who knows how far he could go...

The worst thing about Nick Diaz is that on top of all that crap that makes him unlikable.. he can fight great..

What a waste.
Jason should have never disrespected Shields by going in the cage after his victory!! He got what he deserved.

Miss Foxy
01-28-2011, 10:29 PM
yeah, vargas or mayorga would be tough for a pro debut .. he'd get killed ...

Now Fernando Vargas is a true thug! lol. Makes Nick look like he's playing on Sesame Street.. I don't like Vargas he gives latin people a bad name.. Ghetto!

Spiritwalker
01-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Jason should have never disrespected Shields by going in the cage after his victory!! He got what he deserved.

ermmmm.. wasn't that planned.

Miss Foxy
01-29-2011, 12:35 AM
ermmmm.. wasn't that planned.

No after Shields won. Jason barged in there and started challenging him to a fight. He did not even respect Shields just won. That's Nicks teammate so he got offended and went after Jason. I would have too!! Want to act like a badass get beat up sissy boy!! I am so over Mayhem. I used to like him until I started reading up on the fella!

cheachea
01-29-2011, 01:44 AM

What a waste.

I literally LOL at the ZIGZAG thing :laugh:

J.B.
01-29-2011, 01:45 AM
Lol @ Nick boxing Vargas...

LOL @ Vargas period.

Diaz should stick to MMA and Vargas can just go away IMO

VCURamFan
01-29-2011, 02:03 AM
No after Shields won. Jason barged in there and started challenging him to a fight. He did not even respect Shields just won. That's Nicks teammate so he got offended and went after Jason. I would have too!! Want to act like a badass get beat up sissy boy!! I am so over Mayhem. I used to like him until I started reading up on the fella!
Foxy, I gotta disagree with you here. While it was certainly disrespectful & rude of Jason to jump in the cage, that gives Nick no rate to assault him. It was a poor performance all around & to try to push more blame off one onto another is pointless.

logrus
01-30-2011, 04:40 AM
WAR DIAZ!:punch:

logrus
01-30-2011, 04:41 AM
Lol @ Nick boxing Vargas...

LOL @ Vargas period.

Diaz should stick to MMA and Vargas can just go away IMO

I second your Vargas disappearing forever comment..

Spiritwalker
01-30-2011, 05:05 AM
I literally LOL at the ZIGZAG thing :laugh:

hey.. he isn't the only one....to have ...ermmmmm... well..

Spiritwalker
01-31-2011, 02:40 AM
Foxy, I gotta disagree with you here. While it was certainly disrespectful & rude of Jason to jump in the cage, that gives Nick no rate to assault him. It was a poor performance all around & to try to push more blame off one onto another is pointless.

Gotta love the Foxy One.... but..

During the post fight interview after Jake Shields victory over Dan Henderson, Jason Miller got access into the cage during the post-fight interviews and asked Shields, asking "Where's my rematch, buddy?". Both Gilbert Melendez and Jake Shields pushed Miller away, which was followed by Diaz throwing the punch to start the brawl. Diaz, his brother Nate Diaz and Gilbert Melendez would then attack Miller while Miller was being restrained to the canvas. The fight was then broken up by referees, members of Dan Henderson's corner and security. Miller, Diaz and four others were given three-month suspensions and fines of $5,000-$7,500.