PDA

View Full Version : Peter Jackson Hospitalized with Stomach Ulcer

VCURamFan
01-27-2011, 04:15 PM
The Hobbit author JRR Tolkien suffered from a perforated ulcer before dying in 1973. Now today, New Zealander Sir Peter Jackson, director of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and soon-to-be-director of the two Hobbit movies was hospitalized with a perforated stomach ulcer, and underwent surgery. This is only expected to slightly delay the filming of The Hobbit, and he's expected to make a full recovery.

Stormhammer
01-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Ulcers are altogether...EVIL!

The man is dedicated, and I admire him for that. If only the industry wasn't trying to inadvertently kill him in order to make a living.

rockdawg21
01-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Ugh, I hate those. They are so brutal. Had one in college. The only relief I could get was to drink some milk.

flo
01-27-2011, 09:42 PM
I hope he makes a full recovery. I loved LOTR and hope The Hobbit will be as good, those are among my favorite books.

flo
01-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Ugh, I hate those. They are so brutal. Had one in college. The only relief I could get was to drink some milk.
That's surprising, RD; milk and other dairy products tend to irritate ulcers. The BRAT diet is always good - bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. All bland.

rockdawg21
01-27-2011, 11:24 PM
That's surprising, RD; milk and other dairy products tend to irritate ulcers. The BRAT diet is always good - bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. All bland.
Well, I've read that it's not good for the ulcer, but an ulcer being caused by excess acid and milk being a base, it helped neutralize the pain. It didn't seem to give me any problems with the 2 ulcers that I have. Milk was good therapy for me :)

flo
01-28-2011, 01:00 AM
2 ulcers, that's horrible!

Yeah, that's good it worked, I'd take milk anyday over Rx.

Play The Man
01-28-2011, 02:35 AM
Most ulcers are caused by an infection by Helicobacter pylori and are readily eradicated with antibiotic therapy. For those that aren't caused by H. pylori, Proton Pump Inhibitors (Prilosec, etc.) can shut off acid production to allow the ulcer to heal. Ulcers can be serious. Don't rely on milk. Get them treated.