PDA

View Full Version : Video: Drugs Smugglers use catapult

rockdawg21
01-27-2011, 04:12 AM
LOL, this is crazy!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41282726/ns/world_news-americas
Drug catapult discovered on Mexico border
Night video by National Guard shows smugglers flinging packages into U.S.

NBC News and msnbc.com
updated 2 hours 53 minutes ago

NACO, Ariz. Drug smugglers used a catapult to fire contraband over the border between Mexico and Arizona, authorities said Wednesday.

National Guard troops operating a remote video surveillance system on Friday evening saw several people using the device beside a border fence near the town of Naco, and Border Patrol agents contacted Mexican authorities, NBC station KVOA of Tucson reported, citing U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Drug smugglers used a catapult to fire contraband over the border between Mexico and Arizona near Naco, authorities said Wednesday.

Mexican authorities disrupted the operation, but the alleged smugglers fled the scene in a Humvee and an SUV, leaving the catapult behind along with 45 pounds of marijuana and an SUV.

Night-vision video taken by the National Guard and supplied by KVOA shows several men preparing the catapult and launching packages before fleeing.

Still images taken at the scene shows soldiers testing the catapult, which was powered with elastic and was brought in mounted on a trailer. It's not clear from the video whether they are Mexican or U.S. troops.

"I have not seen anything like that in my time before as a Border Patrol agent ... although we are trained to handle any kind of a threat that comes over that border," Tucson sector Border Patrol spokesman David Jimarez told Reuters.

U.S. authorities said the dismantling of the operation was an example of close cooperation between American and Mexican agencies.

Naco is in Cochise County, about 80 miles southeast of Tucson.

The Mexican government declared war against drug smugglers in 2006, and the resulting conflict has left more than 30,000 people dead.

The crackdown has pushed smugglers into ever-more daring and ingenious attempts to move drugs into the United States.

One technique involves the use of specially designed trucks with ramps built in the back and front. These trucks pull up next to the barbed-wire border fence and lower one of the ramps over to the U.S. side, while the other ramp slides down the back of the vehicle. Smugglers in SUVs loaded with drugs then drive across these mobile truck-bridges into Arizona without ever touching the fence.

Ultralight planes have been used by daring pilots to fly over the fence to drop drug loads on the U.S. side.

NateR
01-27-2011, 08:55 AM
We need to station some missile defense systems along the border and take out that catapult and those ultralight planes along with any drug dealers that just happen to be operating them. I'm sure the Mexican government wouldn't be too happy about us launching rockets onto their soil, but what are they going to do about it? It's not like they have anything resembling a competent military to retaliate with.

J.B.
01-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Sounds like a big time operation considering they left almost 50 pounds of weed behind...:rolleyes:

:laugh:

Seriously, big time smugglers will send out shipments 10 times that size just with the intention of getting caught. Then, while the cops are watching the funny catapult, the semi-truck carrying 20 tons drives right past them.

cubsfan47
01-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Didn't the program Mythbusters test the idea of using a catapult to send people over the border? As I recall it didn't work too well.:laugh:

County Mike
01-27-2011, 01:19 PM
I don't think I'd want to be launched over a fence with a catapult either.

For drugs though, I guess it works. I think we should put our boot camp facilities close to the border. Rounding up illegal crossers could be good practice for our soldiers. Would also get them used to the heat they'll experience in some of our enemy regions.

Irish Pride
01-27-2011, 06:10 PM
I really don't get why we aren't defending our borders. This is ridiculous. :angry:

Irish Pride
01-27-2011, 06:13 PM
We need to station some missile defense systems along the border and take out that catapult and those ultralight planes along with any drug dealers that just happen to be operating them. I'm sure the Mexican government wouldn't be too happy about us launching rockets onto their soil, but what are they going to do about it? It's not like they have anything resembling a competent military to retaliate with.

Do you know why we don't? What ties with Mexico do we have that we are so worried about? Why do we care about them? What are they doing for us that we don't wish to damage? Seems like they are harming us just as much as other countries in the middle east that we have gone to war with.

County Mike
01-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Because the democrats want to give them the right to vote. It would just about guarantee democratic control for the next several decades.

flo
01-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Because the democrats want to give them the right to vote. It would just about guarantee democratic control for the next several decades.

I think you're absolutely right.

I'm 100% behind Nate's suggestion. If only we had leaders with the cojones to actually do something about this problem.

DonnaMaria
01-27-2011, 06:34 PM
I think we should use it to fling drug smugglers BACK OVER to Mexico!

In the industry we would call that a "behavior modification program.":laugh:

Kids have to learn about consequences......so should adults.

flo
01-27-2011, 06:56 PM

In the industry we would call that a "behavior modification program.":laugh:

:applause:

lol, I'm picturing that right now...great suggestion, DonnaMaria. :laugh::laugh:

County Mike
01-27-2011, 06:59 PM

Great Idea!

DonnaMaria
01-27-2011, 07:02 PM
:applause:

lol, I'm picturing that right now...great suggestion, DonnaMaria. :laugh::laugh:

It would be a deterrent AND entertainment! A Win-Win! :)

VCURamFan
01-27-2011, 07:09 PM
It would be a deterrent AND entertainment! A Win-Win! :)
Judging from the MythhBusters' attempt at a simillar myth, I'm guessing it'd turn out not so good for the criminals. :laugh:

DonnaMaria
01-27-2011, 07:13 PM
AND they should leave the dead, broken bodies there as a reminder to anyone who tries to smuggle drugs again!:angry:

Yup...........I'm going all Medieval right now. I'm tired of wasting my hard earned money on things that don't work. Like prison for repeat offenders. BOING! Send em back! Or send them flying!!!

I'm not heartless! Anyone can make a mistake. But if you are a repeat offender for ANTHING you should get the catapult! Over the border or into the ocean! Then offenders could feed the sharks and help the food chain! It's eco=friendly!

*It reminds me of the Monty Python scene where they launch the Trojan Rabbit :laugh:*

DonnaMaria
01-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Judging from the MythhBusters' attempt at a simillar myth, I'm guessing it'd turn out not so good for the criminals. :laugh:

I LOVE MythBusters!!!!!! That episode was awesome!!!!

The criminals have no say! It's a win win for the tax payers!

rockdawg21
01-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Perhaps it's time for some real vigilantism. Load the Rio Grande full of black piranha.