PDA

View Full Version : Bes for Boys

Dethbob
01-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Years ago it was trendy for a while for gun writers to pen a 'Life Lessons' column. An impressionable young gun nut, I read these with rapt attention, avidly absorbing the wisdom of men who traveled the world and shot things for a living. Later as a new father, I wanted to compose something similar for my sons, but I knew that a long winded lecture would be wasted on anyone under the age of forty. When I was younger and we kids were going out on some adventure, Mom would say 'Be brave!', and I noticed how the short, affirmative statement stuck in the mind better than any paragraph of advice. I decided that the best thing would be to formulate no more than five statements that would impart the things boys should keep in mind. The following is what I have come up with so far, with brief clarifiers. Any and all criticism and suggestions from the Forum are welcome.

Be Brave
Live boldly, don't let fear hold you back from the future God intends for you.

Be Smart
Take advantage of opportunities to learn, and use your intelligence in all situations.

Be Strong
Be ready to stand up for yourself, for others, and for what is right.

Be Thorough
Think of all possibilities, don't forget anything, and get everything done.

Be Kind
Be polite, honest, and treat people well, even if you don't like them.

VCURamFan
01-25-2011, 04:39 PM
That's a really well thought out list, Bob. It's concise & easy to communicate, but it also seems to really encapsualte what young men need to learn as they grow up. Well down, I may steal that & send it to my brother & sister (both of whom have young sons).

EDIT: Here's my Dad's response:

Very good. And I would add (or replace Thorough if you want to keep to 5), since we will all fail at these things, Be Saved! By the one who failed at none of them.

Dethbob
01-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Here's my Dad's response:

Very good. And I would add (or replace Thorough if you want to keep to 5), since we will all fail at these things, Be Saved! By the one who failed at none of them.

Yes, and I also considered Be Grateful and Be in Prayer, but I thought those were more appropriate for an adult list. I lead the family in prayer every day, and Mom teaches the Sunday school at Church and has Ladies Bible study at our house, so the boys are being very much led in that direction, and I think most of this list only makes sense in that context.

Neezar
01-26-2011, 04:27 AM
'Be's for Boys'!

I love it. I'm using them. :biggrin-1:

flo
01-26-2011, 06:58 AM
I agree with Ben and Neez, that's a great list.

and I'm so glad you added that last one