PDA

View Full Version : JENS PULVER WINS A FIGHT

Tyburn
01-23-2011, 11:34 AM
:happydancing: its been quite some time, but finally Jens Pulver has found himself again, and he won his match at XF038 I believe in the first round, and I believe by a choke submission.

I think this is the start of a New Dawn, and maybe we will yet see him back in the UFC :w00t:

I am have started a campaign to get him into the Hall of Fame :laugh: Yes people, I have penned letters to the UFCs top Brass (above White) because I think he deserves it

honnestly...if they consider putting in Evan Tanner, and put in Mask (simply because he died tragically) who they never considered before he died, then I think Jens Pulver, as their first Lightweight Champion, and because despite losing something like 6 in a row, has a bigger fan base now then when he was Champion, has books written on him, and documentaries made about him...he definatley qualifies :)

Irish Pride
01-23-2011, 01:20 PM
You really think we will see him back in the UFC? :huh::Whistle:

County Mike
01-23-2011, 02:07 PM

No, but he could still end up in the UFC hall of fame.

VCURamFan
01-23-2011, 03:28 PM
:happydancing: its been quite some time, but finally Jens Pulver has found himself again, and he won his match at XF038 I believe in the first round, and I believe by a choke submission.

I think this is the start of a New Dawn, and maybe we will yet see him back in the UFC :w00t:

I am have started a campaign to get him into the Hall of Fame :laugh: Yes people, I have penned letters to the UFCs top Brass (above White) because I think he deserves it

honnestly...if they consider putting in Evan Tanner, and put in Mask (simply because he died tragically) who they never considered before he died, then I think Jens Pulver, as their first Lightweight Champion, and because despite losing something like 6 in a row, has a bigger fan base now then when he was Champion, has books written on him, and documentaries made about him...he definatley qualifies :)

Jens is going to retire now. He's given multiple interviews in the past few weeks saying that he wanted to "pit Lil Evil to bed the right way". Now that he's gotten a W, he can do that.

Spiritwalker
01-23-2011, 04:07 PM
yes, hopefully he will retire on a win. He was a good fighter in his prime, call it quits now.

Considering his opponent had a record of 4-8.

To continue now.. would really tarnish his history. It would pretty much make him the next Ken Shamrock.

Tyburn
01-23-2011, 04:23 PM
WOODSTOCK, Ill. -- Jens Pulver isn’t ready to hang up his gloves just yet.

The former UFC lightweight champion survived a whirlwind start to his XFO 38 featherweight main event bout at Woodstock Harley Davidson Saturday night with Mike Lindquist, snapping a six-fight losing streak at the 49 second mark of the first round with his first win since December 2007.

“If I got beat, it meant it was over,” said Pulver, who joined Team Curran and set up shop living in an upstairs room at Jeff Curran’s Curran Martial Arts Academy in Crystal Lake, Ill., for three months leading up the fight.

“I love were I live, I Iove training with these guys,” Pulver said, crediting his time working with Curran for reviving his career. “All my old coaches, I love them to death -- but [their tutelage] fell on deaf ears ... These guys spend a lot of time with me, and do a lot of stuff for me.”

Lindquist came out of the gates swinging, and landed a left hand that opened up a cut near Pulver’s right eye in the fast-paced opening to the fight. But a takedown attempt from Lindquist ended up with Pulver taking his opponent’s back and the two combatants tumbled to the mat. From there, it was a matter of seconds before Pulver cinched up a rear-naked choke, forcing the Team Blood Loss fighter to tap.

File Photo

Pulver got back in the win column.“I thought I was going to put him down, but he recovered pretty quick,” said Lindquist. “I tried a takedown, but he was sweaty and slipped underneath me.”

Pulver said he was battling nerves as he stepped into battle with the long losing streak.

“All I could think about was, ‘God, not again, not another [loss].’ I'm getting in the cage and I'm like, ‘Find it man, find the fire’ … like Bart [Palaszewski] said -- ‘Be that Lil Evil.’”

Curran stated that he was happy to help Pulver in his quest to revitalize his career.

“It means the world that I could be a part of that,” said Curran. “We’ve all been trying to determine out a way to resurrect his career. It’s been a hard three or four months, he’s been living in my gym … he just handed it over. He said, “Take charge,” and I canceled everything.”

It was a big evening for Team Curran, who finished 3-0 in the pro portion of the night.

International Fight League veteran Mike Corey earned a unanimous decision victory over Tom Ahrens in the evening’s co-main event. Corey controlled the fight on the ground in the first frame, taking Ahrens’ back and threatening with a rear-naked choke. Ahrens opened the second with an early takedown of his own, but Corey escaped, and later returned the favor, working some ground-and-pound from half guard.

The third round saw Corey land a series of knees to Ahrens’ head from the muay Thai clinch, crumpling the Team Destruction fighter, who dropped a knee on the canvas. The Curran protégé finished the duel on top, earning a unanimous decision victory (30-27, 30-26, 30-26). The win was the fifth in a row for Corey, who entered the fight following a 13 month hiatus.

Joey Diehl did not disappoint the decidedly pro-Team Curran crowd in the evening’s second pro bout, earning a tapout via RNC from Chicago Fight Team’s Dexter Wright in the opening period of their flyweight contest.

Diehl opened with a pair of sharp low kicks before shooting a double-leg takedown and quickly transitioning to mount. Wright gave up his back, and Diehl wasted little time sinking in the choke, securing a tapout at the 2:53 mark.

Midwest Training Center’s Will Brooks also had a victorious pro debut at lightweight, earning a TKO victory over Team Zombie’s J.R. Hines in the evening’s first pro contest. “Ill Will” scored a quick double-leg takedown and proceeded directly to the mount, where he pounded out Hines for a TKO stoppage at 2:09 of round one

Tyburn
01-23-2011, 04:24 PM

I do hope so :w00t:

Tyburn
01-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Jens is going to retire now. He's given multiple interviews in the past few weeks saying that he wanted to "pit Lil Evil to bed the right way". Now that he's gotten a W, he can do that.

He was going to retire if he lost...but he won!! :laugh:

Tyburn
01-23-2011, 04:38 PM
yes, hopefully he will retire on a win. He was a good fighter in his prime, call it quits now.

To continue now.. would really tarnish his history. It would pretty much make him the next Ken Shamrock.

:rolleyes: nothing will tarnish his history...if he can have fail 6 times in a row, and still be gaining fans...NOTHING will tarnish his history...this is partly why they should induct him into the Hall of Fame....He and Randy Couture have become the first Fighters in the history of MMA to go so beyond the cage that even if they fail multiple times, their stocks improve and their fanbases increase.

Why do you think Zuffa kept hold of Jens for absolutely as long as they absolutely possibly could?

No other fighters have yet managed this. The haters are waiting for them to fall, and the moment they do tell them that they are worthless, or were overrated or whatever.

Randy Couture gets away with it because of his age. He CAN still compete and do well, and people love him for that. When he fails they say that it was hard to watch, but they dont abandon him.

Why Jens Pulver has the power is more difficult. FOR YEARS he was the forgotten champion, noone even remembered his name, even when he was the Champion he was always predicted to be the under-dog. But when he returned people showed interest. When he lost, his amazing sence of being at ease and the stuff he would say in the post-fight press conference warmed people. They then did their research and discovered his history and loved him more for that too. Then they discovered that it wasnt a barage put on for them, but through TUF, and the later bouts leading up to Faber 1 and 2 people were actively willing him to win, even though he had lost so many in a row by then that any other fighter would have dissapeared.

When finally the axe fell...far from dissapearing, his fans kept coming, and people again made movies and wrote books about his story. He is infamous. He is loveable...and the mob love him so much that he can spend the better half of half a decade failing in competition and they only love him MORE...he isnt afraid to cry, he isnt afraid to criticise himself in public, and when he meets fans, they discover, just like I did...that this guy isnt pretending to be this open and honnest...he actually is.

He must be one of the most well loved Fighters ever now...because of that in light of the above...he deserves a place in the Hall of Fame...he has founded a division, all three divisions for little people are now recognised. His Legacy became WEC the moment they axed the bigger fighters, the moment that WEC became more popular then the UFC, when everyone online was saying the WEC cards with the little guys were better, and more exciting then the UFC.

He needs to have formal, management recognition, and that is something I will push for until it happens. :wink:

Neezar
01-23-2011, 09:43 PM
:laugh:

flo
01-23-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm glad he got the W, Dave! :w00t:

VCURamFan
01-23-2011, 09:59 PM
He was going to retire if he lost...but he won!! :laugh:

Ah, ya beat me to it! I had just seen this & rushed over here to try & correct myself before someone else called me out! :laugh:

Tyburn
01-23-2011, 10:23 PM
:laugh:

whatcha laughing at :mellow:

VCURamFan
01-23-2011, 10:28 PM
You can watch the fight here: http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3722:watch-jens-pulver-grab-his-first-win-in-over-three-years-at-xfo-38&catid=34:organizations

Tyburn
01-23-2011, 10:40 PM
:happydancing::happydancing::happydancing:

Tyburn
01-24-2011, 12:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KinMXko7jVg I did my own little tribute video to mark the occasion :ashamed:

TENNESSEAN
01-24-2011, 02:14 AM
jens may not have the wins to go down in the record books, but he is definitely one of the greatest fighters of all time. When he enters the cage its not just a competition between two men, your going to see a fight. :punch: retirement is overrated i say if your having fun and your healthy fight till the checks stop coming. who cares about the record jens has true grit.
WAR JENS

Vizion
01-24-2011, 04:58 AM
He probably thinks he's ready for Frankie now :laugh:

(j/k Dave :wink:)

WAR JENS ! ! !

Vizion
01-24-2011, 04:59 AM
My cell phone takes better video than the one posted :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Vizion
01-24-2011, 05:06 AM

I don't know where you're getting your stats, but according to Sherdog.com Jens' "opponent" had a record of 6-19.

Well, Jens made it 6-20 :laugh:

Llamafighter
01-24-2011, 12:45 PM
He probably thinks he's ready for Frankie now :laugh:

(j/k Dave :wink:)

WAR JENS ! ! !

My cell phone takes better video than the one posted :laugh::laugh::laugh:

after meeting Jens in Detroit and seeing how amazing he is with his fans I will forever be a fan of Jens Pulver.
Good win Jens!