PDA

View Full Version : The Trouble with Jens (the Budgie)

Tyburn
01-20-2011, 04:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBFIqLqzXhI

It started when I tried to get him into the little bird box. Jens does not like small close places at all. Once I had managed to get him out of his cage, which took longer then it should because Wyman was terrified I was going to try and get him in a box (he's been to the vets alot at the end of last year for his Scaley Face treatment) and his fapping set Jens off!

So then I got my net and caught Jens and he squirmed out of the net...sooo I caught him again with the net and as I was trying to stuff him into the box he went all limp...naturally I responded by loosening my grip...and he suddenly flew out of my hands. He has NEVER played dead before...what a nasty trick to try and avoid the box! Then he sits on the pelmet and narrows his eyes as if to say "bite me"

Finally I get him into the box, and head out to the vets, but my first port of call is my Nans flat to walk with my Mother home...the vets is then along the road from Mothers. We stop at the traffic lights, and Jens wont shut up. An elderly woman waiting with me says "whats in your box" I tell her "Jens the Budgie, he doesnt like the box" We dash through town and come to another crossing...Jens is still flapping and squarking, and two women incredulously ask "whats in your box" I tell them "Jens the Budgie, he doesnt like the box" we cross as one of the women says "I dont think i'd like to be in that box either"

Finally I arrive at Nans flat and Text Mother to tell her I am outside. Meanwhile I hand around outside with this squarking box looking like some thug, the woman who runs the flats comes out "Excuse me, can I help you...and what have you got in that box" I tell her "Its Jens the Budgie, he doesnt like the box...and I'm waiting for my Mother" Despite the racket that Jens is STILL making...she asks if I would like to wait inside...I would love to wait inside, but its flats for the Elderly...and if any of them are allergic to birds or feathers, they wouldnt thank me so I decline...my Nan told me they werent allowed pets inside anyway...because I had wondered if she wanted a Zebra Finch hatchling from my first clutch of Bonnie and Pettis since she used to keep birds many years ago.

Finally Mother arrives and we walk along to ASDA, finally, Jens has given up making a stink, until I get to the cash point. then I have to somehow withdraw the vets fees from the point whilst he is rattling around on the little ledge This little box keeps moving and making a funny noise says some young child to his Mother as they pass.

Then we walk to Mornington and I continue on to the vets in Bilton. I arrive quite early and go to the new receptionist. I say "I have an appointment for this afternoon" and she says "what name is it" so I give my name...and she says "we only have a Miss Duff...is that you" Do I look like a Miss Duff?? but whats happened is that on the phone, sometimes I can sound like a Miss Duff...and even giving my first name as David they are still convinced im a woman. "okay sooo is it for Bonnie?"

"No its for Jens"

"Jens?!"

"Yes I have more then one bird"

"okay...let me just enter the new details"

"Sooo How do you spell Jens"

WTF its phonetic?!?!

"J-E-N-S"

"I see...and is Jens male or female"

WTF since when has Jens been anything other then male????

its a bone of contention actually, because the vet doesnt know if the bird is actually male or female. the only way to tell on the Budgie is by the colour of the Cere the bit at the top of the beak...blue for boys, pink for girls....um Jens has a blueish brown...he was sold to me as male, so thats what he was...but as we were dicussing Jens...the woman vet kept refering to the bird as "She" and I kept refering to the bird as "He"

Finally after a LONG wait we went in, and Jens protested as she got her nail cutters and cut the end of his beak..."She keeps putting her little tongue in the way"

Oh GOD please dont chop Jens the Budgies tongue off by accident....and when she tried to get him back in the box, he played the dead trick again, and she let go...and he took flight and she gasped and said "he is such a lovely colour" "Yes" I said "Jens the Budgie is my pride and joy!"

Now at the normal vets down the road the price for a beak trip is 12....after all that shyte the Bird vets charged me 21!!!!!

Jens is now back safe at home in his cage, he is silent, and he has turned his back to me and is deliberatly looking out the wrong side of the cage. He is in a strop...a mood...the occasional mutter under his breath and the occasional click as he gets used to the new contours of his beak

Yeah well he aint the only one whose had a long day!

Miss Foxy
01-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Jens sounds so cute and I would have snarled at the idiot that kept calling him a her..She outta check to see what her gender is!! :angry:

Tyburn
01-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Jens sounds so cute and I would have snarled at the idiot that kept calling him a her..She outta check to see what her gender is!! :angry:

I know :angry:

There is some confusion because the colour of Jens Cere is neither male nor female. But I told her when she said she was 80% sure that Jens was a woman, that he was considered a man now after two years no matter what he actually physically was.

She still kept refering to Jens as She...it was really odd...she wouldnt get the hint even when I kept answering her questions, by calling the same bird the opposite gender. :laugh:

"So what do you feed her"
"He eats normal feed and millet"

"you can see her beak is more flakey at the bottom"
"but he has got good growth at the top, does he have a malnutrition issue"
"no I think she is fine"

seriously...thats the sort of level of conversation we were having

"she keeps getting her tongue in the way"
"ohh please try not to accidently cut his tongue off"

:laugh:

but the receptionist was even worse "and how do you spell Jens" and "is jens male or female" WTF

TENNESSEAN
01-21-2011, 01:29 AM
i Whistle and my bird flies to my shoulder. he takes short trips around town with me, you should see the looks i get riding around with a parrot on my shoulder.:laugh:

Llamafighter
01-21-2011, 02:41 AM
i Whistle and my bird flies to my shoulder. he takes short trips around town with me, you should see the looks i get riding around with a parrot on my shoulder.:laugh:

you need an eyepatch

Tyburn
01-21-2011, 11:34 AM

oh I cant do that. Jens makes it clear he does what he wants, when he wants...and none of my birds are safe out of the house. I do let them out of the cage quite often though

cubsfan47
01-21-2011, 12:06 PM
you need an eyepatch

Polly want a cracker?:laugh::laugh::tongue0011:

County Mike
01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
To be fair, unless you know who Jens Pulver is, "Jens" sounds more like a girls name to me too.

Sounds like a fun trip. I used to have an African Grey parrot. His name was Pierre and he was really cool. I just couldn't devote enough attention to him so I gave him to someone who could spend more time with him.

Miss Foxy
01-21-2011, 03:50 PM
To be fair, unless you know who Jens Pulver is, "Jens" sounds more like a girls name to me too.

Sounds like a fun trip. I used to have an African Grey parrot. His name was Pierre and he was really cool. I just couldn't devote enough attention to him so I gave him to someone who could spend more time with him.

I think its funny Tyburn replys with "Jens the budgie" as if most of them people walking around would thing Jens Pulver would be in the box!! LOL..:laugh::laugh:

TENNESSEAN
01-21-2011, 04:11 PM
my daughter wanted a bird for a long time. i was set against it, so i gave her a list of things that she would have to accomplish to get the bird. I'm not going to get into the list, but lets just say i made it very tough. the chances of her clearing the list were slim for an 7 yr old.

she wanted that bird!! she worked hard and it took her a year but she did it. i didn't want the bird but a deals a deal and she definitely deserved the reward.

funny part is the crazy bird took a liking to me. last night i was leaning back in my recliner, he flew from his cage and hoped up on my chest, rolled over on his back with his feet in the air and started watching TV. sounds crazy, i know but its true

Tyburn
01-21-2011, 06:10 PM
I think its funny Tyburn replys with "Jens the budgie" as if most of them people walking around would thing Jens Pulver would be in the box!! LOL..:laugh::laugh:

thats because when I posted about my bird on here before...everyone couldnt seem to tell if I was talking about the budgie or the fighter...so they would click on the thread...presuming it was about the fighter to find out it was the bird. :rolleyes:

...and I said Jens the budgie to people on the way to the vet...coz they didnt know what was in the box :laugh:

Tyburn
01-21-2011, 06:11 PM
my daughter wanted a bird for a long time. i was set against it, so i gave her a list of things that she would have to accomplish to get the bird. I'm not going to get into the list, but lets just say i made it very tough. the chances of her clearing the list were slim for an 7 yr old.

she wanted that bird!! she worked hard and it took her a year but she did it. i didn't want the bird but a deals a deal and she definitely deserved the reward.

funny part is the crazy bird took a liking to me. last night i was leaning back in my recliner, he flew from his cage and hoped up on my chest, rolled over on his back with his feet in the air and started watching TV. sounds crazy, i know but its true

Does your parrot talk to you :huh:

TENNESSEAN
01-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Does your parrot talk to you :huh:

hes to young for words, i can hear him mumbling in his cage so I'm sure he will start talking soon.

he laughs just like my wife and he barks and growls like a dog.

my other daughter has a 3lb chiwawa and it barks and growls at the bird and the bird barks and growls back, my wife starts laughing at him and then he starts laughing at my wife:frantics:

Miss Foxy
01-21-2011, 09:48 PM
hes to young for words, i can hear him mumbling in his cage so I'm sure he will start talking soon.

my other daughter has a 3lb chiwawa and it barks and growls at the bird and the bird barks and growls back, my wife starts laughing at him and then he starts laughing at my wife:frantics:

Lol.. So one sparks the other off! :laugh:

Tyburn
01-22-2011, 11:25 AM

making noise is easier then making words. He's learning who to mimic :ashamed: words said most often around him will eventually be spoken once he's matured.

Parakeets (like Jens) talk less often...Males talk more then the female...Jens has never spoken, but I believe that is because he knows how to and simply doesnt wish to. He mumbles under his breath when I do something he doesnt like that involves him...I dont know if its words, or if its just noise to show he's irritated...but he only ever does it when cross.

He'd better not be swearing under his breath :laugh:

TENNESSEAN
01-23-2011, 03:58 AM
making noise is easier then making words. He's learning who to mimic :ashamed: words said most often around him will eventually be spoken once he's matured.Parakeets (like Jens) talk less often...Males talk more then the female...Jens has never spoken, but I believe that is because he knows how to and simply doesnt wish to. He mumbles under his breath when I do something he doesnt like that involves him...I dont know if its words, or if its just noise to show he's irritated...but he only ever does it when cross.

He'd better not be swearing under his breath :laugh:

if thats true he will be saying "have you done your homework yet" or "please pick up your coat" maybe even "make your bed" or "clean your room":laugh:

flo
01-23-2011, 05:55 AM
That receptionist! :angry: Sounds like you'd be much better off at the "regular" vets, Dave. If I could make one tiny suggestion, just something that really helped me (as apparently, we are BOTH worriers!), try not to be nervous or worried when you go to the vets office. Our pets really pick up on our energy and it's much better to try to stay calm and relaxed if we can.

Anyhoo, I'm glad Jens (and you :-) got through it all.

flo
01-23-2011, 05:58 AM

What a neat story. Good for her to work so hard for it!
Isn't that always the way? The pets gravitate to the person who doesn't really want them. I can just picture that bird watching tv with you, lol!

Next thing you know we will be reading the Tennessean thread about the latest escapade with "his" bird...

:wink: