PDA

View Full Version : Is this good mac?

sasquatch
01-19-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm wanting a computer that's good for making flash and youtube videos and maybe even 3D stuff. Here's one I'm thinking about getting, I don't know if it's good for what I want to do though. Apple imac 21.5" 3.2 GHz Dual Core i3 4 GB RAM 1TB HD SuperDrive Redeon HD 5670 AP BT Wireless Key & mouse. It's around 1500

NateR
01-19-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm wanting a computer that's good for making flash and youtube videos and maybe even 3D stuff. Here's one I'm thinking about getting, I don't know if it's good for what I want to do though. Apple imac 21.5" 3.2 GHz Dual Core i3 4 GB RAM 1TB HD SuperDrive Redeon HD 5670 AP BT Wireless Key & mouse. It's around 1500

That should work perfectly, but keep in mind that not all video editing and 3D software are going to be compatible with Apple. Usually, it's only the high-end, professional grade stuff that works with the Mac OS.

Video Editing - Final Cut Studio and Quicktime Pro

3D Animation - Maya and ZBrush (I highly recommend ZBrush)

Flash and Photoshop both have Macintosh equivalents, so there shouldn't be any problems there.

sasquatch
01-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks Nate. Are most school programs compatible with macs, i have a program called mymathlab. I wonder if it would work with one?

NateR
01-20-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks Nate. Are most school programs compatible with macs, i have a program called mymathlab. I wonder if it would work with one?

If you have the original packaging, then it should say on there somewhere. If there is no indication that it is compatible with a Mac, then most likely it isn't.

sasquatch
01-22-2011, 03:46 AM
It actually wasn't even a cd, just a hundred doller password to use their site...the school sure does like taking my money. lol

logrus
01-22-2011, 05:44 PM

Personally I think Macs are overpriced piles of crap. I could easily build a pc that outperforms that Mac in every area easily and save you around 500$. But to answer your ??, yes it will be perfect for what your doing.

That should work perfectly, but keep in mind that not all video editing and 3D software are going to be compatible with Apple. Usually, it's only the high-end, professional grade stuff that works with the Mac OS.

Video Editing - Final Cut Studio and Quicktime Pro

3D Animation - Maya and ZBrush (I highly recommend ZBrush)

Flash and Photoshop both have Macintosh equivalents, so there shouldn't be any problems there.

I use Sony Vegas for video editing, though I think its only for Pc, not 100% sure.

Maya and Zbrush are awesome for 3d Animation. If your not too sure about Animation, I know Blender has a lot of buzz about it. Check out a movie done in Blender. Last link is to the website. I have used all 3 and liked them all. I also will use 3dMax from time to time if I need a certain model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRsGyueVLvQ

http://www.blender.org/

For Flash I use the one bundled with the Adobe suite along with After Effects and Photoshop.