PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Couponing - seriously

BamaGrits84
01-18-2011, 06:01 PM
This may be the most random topic ever, and if facebook were not blocked at work I would have this conversation there, but have any of you heard of or seen the TLC show Extreme Couponing where folks get several hundred dollars in groceries for $35.79? Well I saw it early this year and it has become my new obcession. I don't know why I paid full price for groceries for so many years.

I need to get me a shirt made that says "UFC - Ultimate Frugal Couponer.

Spiritwalker
01-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Havne't seen it, but will look for it now..

Enlighten me please..

Shoots like a girl
01-18-2011, 06:08 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

My mom does this!! Only shes obsessive. She just comes over with bags and bags of stuff. I ask why she buys all this stuff if shes not going to eat it and she says after the sales and coupons it only like a penny so she buys it! Shes so funny, shes made my dad the official coupon cutter, hes retired whatelse is he gonna do right? LOL

Its kinda cool, I take the kids to Mammy's Grocery Store and we stock up! :cool:

Miss Foxy
01-18-2011, 06:23 PM
I hate dealing with coupons. Perhaps I should deal with em and save myself some sweet cash!! I recycle my MAC makeup containers after your 6th one you get a free eyeshadow! So does that count? :unsure-1:

rockdawg21
01-18-2011, 06:33 PM
I do the same. The HEB grocery stores here in TX have coupons by every door when you walk into the store. I grab what I want/need and usually that's how I do my buying.

With CostCo, they send a coupon book every month and that's how my wife and I do the bulk of our buying from them.

Anytime I'm planning to go to Macy's, Kohl's, JCPenney's, Sears, etc., I always go to google and search for "JCPenney printable coupons", "sears printable coupons", etc. Takes some time but you can usually find a way to save anywhere from 10-30%.

I do the same before I buy online. Let's say I'm buying something from the website of Dick's Sporting Goods, I'll search for "dickssportinggoods.com coupon" or "dickssportinggoods.com coupon code". You can usually find a way to save a few dollars on every website purchase as well by doing this.

BamaGrits84
01-18-2011, 06:46 PM
SouthernSavers.com is hands down the best website for couponing. I first saw the TLC show and my husband said if I could get our grocery bill down by that much I could get the new car (well 2 year used- Dave Ramsey says not to buy new) I've been wanting. So I drove headfirst into it. It really doesn't have to be time consuming to cut your grocery bill down by up to 50%. I started this a week ago and my freezer is so full I can't buy more.

Here are my biggest wins so far:

Jolly Time Popcorn was on sale for $1 at Publix last week. The previous week there was a $.50 off coupon in the paper. Publix doubles coupons and I actually had two because I get multiple coupons inserts from a local gas station, so i ended up getting 2 boxes of popcorn for free.

CVS had Special K cereal on sale B1G1 and I had 2 B1G1 coupons, plus a $1 off two boxes coupon, so I ended up getting 4 boxes of cereal plus a $1 credit.

This week CVS has Bic razors on sale buy 1 get 1 50% off and I had a coupon for b1g1 plus $1 rewards points from a prescription I had filled. So I got me and the hubby disposable razors for $1.59.

WinnDixie had Gusher fruit snacks on sale b1g1 @ $2.99 each. I have two $.50 off coupons which winndixie doubles so I got 4 boxes fro $3.98 and got a coupon (the kind printed at the register) for $2 off my next purchase for buying 4 general mills products. So basically I got 4 boxes for $1.98.

I'll use that $2 off coupon with one I have to buy 1 gallon of milk and get a half gallon of chocolate free and get both for less than $2.

As I said I'm becoming OCD with couponing!

BamaGrits84
01-18-2011, 06:53 PM
I do the same. The HEB grocery stores here in TX have coupons by every door when you walk into the store. I grab what I want/need and usually that's how I do my buying.

With CostCo, they send a coupon book every month and that's how my wife and I do the bulk of our buying from them.
way to save a few dollars on every website purchase as well by doing this.

Costco is awesome for Milk. $2.18 a gallon. I don't have a membership there but I get my friend to grab me a gallon when she is there and in exchange pass on all my baby item coupons to her.

rockdawg21
01-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Costco is awesome for Milk. $2.18 a gallon. I don't have a membership there but I get my friend to grab me a gallon when she is there and in exchange pass on all my baby item coupons to her.
Yeah, milk prices are amazing there. Eggs are a steal too. You can get 18 eggs for somewhere around $1.50.

SouthernSavers.com
Thanks! That works for the HEB stores here in TX. And some coupons that you can use at Wal-Mart, that's always nice!

Twinsmama
01-18-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm a couponer too!!:laugh: I stock up on stuff that I know we will need. You are suppose to be able to go 6-9 weeks without buying one particular food item. there are some things that never go on sale. i save so much on the others i can buy them. our publix don't double coupons but we have a ton of b1g1. can use coupon on each. that's how i save the most. i buy all items for house and personal items at cvs or walgreens and almost always free or very little. i don't go into 3 transactions or anything. i'd rather spend a little more and not hold up the line. my car is a 2005 so it has been paid off for a while. i don't want another car payment ever.....for now i just like knowing i'm saving us a ton of money. i should think of some kind of reward for myself though.....

okay i'm gonna be a dork and throw a few more in there:
iheartthemart.com
totallytarget.com
iheartpublix.com

it is addicting saving so much but just don't let yourself become obsessed with it.

Chris F
01-18-2011, 08:29 PM
IN our neck of the woods we have a lady who has a website and tells people where the sunday coupons will save them the most and when to save them till another week etc etc. We save a lot, but sadly we can't afford the paper so we try to go to the local Mickey D's and clip those on Sunday morning. It is worth it to save a lot of green

BamaGrits84
01-18-2011, 08:36 PM
IN our neck of the woods we have a lady who has a website and tells people where the sunday coupons will save them the most and when to save them till another week etc etc. We save a lot, but sadly we can't afford the paper so we try to go to the local Mickey D's and clip those on Sunday morning. It is worth it to save a lot of green

If there is a gas station you go to frequently and the employees are cool just ask them if you can grab a few inserts from the papers they have left at closing on Sunday. I have a lady that let me get 4 extra inserts. I more than save what I pay for in a paper too. I actually sucribe to the Birmingham New and the local paper but the savings are 10 fold.

Irish Pride
01-18-2011, 09:33 PM
SouthernSavers.com is hands down the best website for couponing. I first saw the TLC show and my husband said if I could get our grocery bill down by that much I could get the new car (well 2 year used- Dave Ramsey says not to buy new) I've been wanting. So I drove headfirst into it. It really doesn't have to be time consuming to cut your grocery bill down by up to 50%. I started this a week ago and my freezer is so full I can't buy more.

Here are my biggest wins so far:

Jolly Time Popcorn was on sale for $1 at Publix last week. The previous week there was a $.50 off coupon in the paper. Publix doubles coupons and I actually had two because I get multiple coupons inserts from a local gas station, so i ended up getting 2 boxes of popcorn for free.

CVS had Special K cereal on sale B1G1 and I had 2 B1G1 coupons, plus a $1 off two boxes coupon, so I ended up getting 4 boxes of cereal plus a $1 credit.

This week CVS has Bic razors on sale buy 1 get 1 50% off and I had a coupon for b1g1 plus $1 rewards points from a prescription I had filled. So I got me and the hubby disposable razors for $1.59.

WinnDixie had Gusher fruit snacks on sale b1g1 @ $2.99 each. I have two $.50 off coupons which winndixie doubles so I got 4 boxes fro $3.98 and got a coupon (the kind printed at the register) for $2 off my next purchase for buying 4 general mills products. So basically I got 4 boxes for $1.98.

I'll use that $2 off coupon with one I have to buy 1 gallon of milk and get a half gallon of chocolate free and get both for less than $2.

As I said I'm becoming OCD with couponing!

Is the premise behind it that you generally have to go to a buncha stores like that? That would drive me crazy only because I hate going food shopping. Are all those stores around the same area for you? That'd make a world of difference.

rearnakedchoke
01-18-2011, 09:44 PM
man, i don't think i have ever couponed .. i saw the show on the weekend and i was in awe .. i think i might start ... i won't get as obsessive as the dude who has binders of coupons and has 1000 toothbrushes and deodorants, or the 1100 boxes of cereal (he gave it all to the foodbank which is awesome) but i could probably save a few hard-earned bucks (while i type this from work .. LOL)

flo
01-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Mammy's Grocery Store

:unsure:

Gee, I hope the new poster doesn't like to clip coupons...

flo
01-18-2011, 10:12 PM
:wink:

sasquatch
01-18-2011, 10:14 PM
My Moms getting into this coupon stuff, she just got a book on it.

Miss Foxy
01-18-2011, 10:15 PM
My Moms getting into this coupon stuff, she just got a book on it.

Go Mom! :)

BamaGrits84
01-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Is the premise behind it that you generally have to go to a buncha stores like that? That would drive me crazy only because I hate going food shopping. Are all those stores around the same area for you? That'd make a world of difference.

CVS, Walrgreens, Rite Aid, Publix, and WinnDixie are 2 blocks of each other and less than 2 miles from my house so it is not a big deal. Plus if you make is list of what you are getting and stick to it you can get in and out. I used to HATE shopping to but it becomes like a game and the recipt with your savings or the look on the cashier's face when they ring up $30 worth of stuff and you hand over $2 is the prize. really if you use a website like southernsavers.com where they match the sales with printable coupons for you for many items it is easy. It doesn't have to be a big deal. Just look for items you eat frequently go on sale. Say you love pasta and normally pay $3 a box for your favorite kind. It goes on sale for half off, stock up on enough to make you a few months. Sales cycle every 6 - 8 weeks so if you can get in a pattern where you buy mainly items on sale, match them up with some coupons, you can drop your grocery bill big time. Stocking up when a sale is on alone can save you big bucks. You can do it with one or two items a week until you have a pantry and fridge full of your favorites for half off. I think it is so exciting to me because I really have been neededing to manage money better and this makes me feel good about working towards that. (plus I have the most domesticed life possible for a 26 year old so if grocery shopping brings me excitement I'll take it.)

Chris F
01-19-2011, 06:10 AM
If there is a gas station you go to frequently and the employees are cool just ask them if you can grab a few inserts from the papers they have left at closing on Sunday. I have a lady that let me get 4 extra inserts. I more than save what I pay for in a paper too. I actually sucribe to the Birmingham New and the local paper but the savings are 10 fold.

thanks for the insight. Never thought about that.

Primadawn
01-19-2011, 05:06 PM
I've been watching this show too! It's amazing. I've always been horrible at using coupons...I clip them, and then forget to take them with me to the store!
But as a recently single mom with 3 kids, I think I'd better start using some of these tricks to save some cash. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't paid bills on my own for so long that I was STUNNED and rudely awakened when I had to start paying utility bills and such...:ashamed:
Anybody know of a site more geared to the midwest?

Tyburn
01-19-2011, 06:13 PM
I wish we had lots of coupons over hear...but usually the best dont even mkae the product half price :cry:

BamaGrits84
01-19-2011, 09:10 PM
I've been watching this show too! It's amazing. I've always been horrible at using coupons...I clip them, and then forget to take them with me to the store!
But as a recently single mom with 3 kids, I think I'd better start using some of these tricks to save some cash. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't paid bills on my own for so long that I was STUNNED and rudely awakened when I had to start paying utility bills and such...:ashamed:
Anybody know of a site more geared to the midwest?

The general concept is easy. Clip coupons and match them with sales. And if possible find a way to get multiple Sunday coupon inserts (ask friends or family members if you can have theirs), use coupons.com, smartsource.com, and redplum.com for printable coupons. If you can print them from a place the offers free printing (work :Whistle:). Most sites let you print 2. Then check out the local sales (you can do this online without buying a paper) and match your coupons up to sales. After buying a few extra each week while items are on sale, you end up with enough stock in an item to last your family 6-8 weeks which is when sales cycle. And to keep up with them I use a expandable file I got from Walmart for $5 that is small enough to carry. It has dividers and tabs you can write on so I make a frozen foods, canned goods, cleaning, health, snacks, etc section in the file. Girl if you try it one time and get the receipt showing you just saved $60 you will feel so good about that the 30 minutes it takes to cut and organize the coupons with the sales papers are worth it!

Primadawn
01-19-2011, 10:03 PM
The general concept is easy. Clip coupons and match them with sales. And if possible find a way to get multiple Sunday coupon inserts (ask friends or family members if you can have theirs), use coupons.com, smartsource.com, and redplum.com for printable coupons. If you can print them from a place the offers free printing (work :Whistle:). Most sites let you print 2. Then check out the local sales (you can do this online without buying a paper) and match your coupons up to sales. After buying a few extra each week while items are on sale, you end up with enough stock in an item to last your family 6-8 weeks which is when sales cycle. And to keep up with them I use a expandable file I got from Walmart for $5 that is small enough to carry. It has dividers and tabs you can write on so I make a frozen foods, canned goods, cleaning, health, snacks, etc section in the file. Girl if you try it one time and get the receipt showing you just saved $60 you will feel so good about that the 30 minutes it takes to cut and organize the coupons with the sales papers are worth it!

I'm on it! I think I may become obsessed...but as obsessions go, it's a good one, right? :happydancing:

flo
01-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Couponing is particularly worth doing right now, what with food prices going up so sharply. I just got back from shopping and the usual items are up a bit once again. And laundry detergent has doubled! :muttering:

I used to clip coupons but since we don't get the paper any more I fell out of the habit too. I think you're right, Bama, that it's worth the price of subscription in the savings you get with coupons. I may rethink getting the Sunday paper, it's just such a lefty rag! I do miss the NYT crossword puzzle though...

flo
01-20-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm on it! I think I may become obsessed...but as obsessions go, it's a good one, right? :happydancing:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: