PDA

View Full Version : OK.. so as to not derail a different thread..

Spiritwalker
01-12-2011, 04:06 PM
I saw the name in a different thread... I started typing a WHOLE bunch of stuff... but it would have been really "off topic" and the posts have been pretty much along my lines of thinking.. so I have left it alone.. just lurked... but I saw this name... and well.. I got very angry... and I rarley actually get "angry" over seeing a name...

So...

Just curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on this subject...

I will post mine in full tonight when I get home from class...

The topic???

Ah....

Westboro Baptist Church

Vizion
01-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Can't you just spit it out :laugh:

They claim they are Christian, but act nothing like Christ. Of course, many Christians act nothing like Christ, but the difference is these people want to be seen and heard in the name of Christ.

I feel sorry for their children who are being raised to be so hateful.

Miss Foxy
01-12-2011, 04:23 PM
They are a bunch of sick people who use the title "Christian" to support their sick causes. They are full of hate.

Dethbob
01-12-2011, 05:41 PM
These people are clearly not Christian, but are wearing the name in an effort to discredit and demonize Christianity. There are legal remedies to this (libel, defamation etc.) but for some reason the Church is hesitating to act.

Tyburn
01-12-2011, 05:46 PM
They are a Cult. :)

billwilliams70
01-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Ditto all posters above me.

I just wonder when they are gonna drink their Kool-Aid.

Later.

Spiritwalker
01-12-2011, 06:08 PM
These people are clearly not Christian, but are wearing the name in an effort to discredit and demonize Christianity. There are legal remedies to this (libel, defamation etc.) but for some reason the Church is hesitating to act.

ok...

so you think that they are clearly not Christian.. but are actually out to hurt Christianity as a religion?

Dethbob
01-12-2011, 06:27 PM
ok...

so you think that they are clearly not Christian.. but are actually out to hurt Christianity as a religion?

Absolutely, from what I’ve seen and read of their statements and activities that seems fairly obvious.

billwilliams70
01-12-2011, 07:13 PM
ok...

Absolutely, from what I’ve seen and read of their statements and activities that seems fairly obvious.
I don't think that's their intention though, to 'hurt Christianity as a religion'. I think they firmly believe that what they're doing is God's will and work....in doing so, they make Christians look like nuts.

Just my two lincolns though.

Later.

flo
01-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Ditto all posters above me.

Same here.

I just wonder when they are gonna drink their Kool-Aid.

Later.

If only. They aren't true believers (in the particular cult they present to the public) or they might end up drinking Kool-Aid. These people are simply evil publicity hos.

flo
01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
I mean, they are currently bargaining for air time in lieu of protesting at the little girl's funeral.

Evil publicity hos.

County Mike
01-12-2011, 07:36 PM
I think they just pose as a church so they can protest things that people very strongly about. Then, when someone in the group physically attacks them, they sue to fund their "church".

Their whole intention is to provoke an attack so they can file a suit.

Dethbob
01-12-2011, 09:24 PM
I don't think that's their intention though, to 'hurt Christianity as a religion'. I think they firmly believe that what they're doing is God's will and work....in doing so, they make Christians look like nuts.

Just my two lincolns though.

Later.

I understand the desire to give people the benefit of the doubt, but how much thought have you given this? Do you know how Westboro is funded? How does the organization of their church compare to other small churches? How do the political leanings of the pastor contrast with the message of the church? Is it a coincidence that their doctrine reads exactly like a leftist straw man of Christianity? They look much more Saul Alinsky than Billy Graham if you ask me.

billwilliams70
01-12-2011, 09:43 PM
I understand the desire to give people the benefit of the doubt, but how much thought have you given this? Do you know how Westboro is funded? How does the organization of their church compare to other small churches? How do the political leanings of the pastor contrast with the message of the church? Is it a coincidence that their doctrine reads exactly like a leftist straw man of Christianity? They look much more Saul Alinsky than Billy Graham if you ask me.
Nope, I know none of that stuff actually........However, I know that there are some nitwits out there that interpret the Bible any way that they want to and they actually believe that they're right.

Of course the ideals of the pastor contrast the message of the church, but do you think he believes that he's right? Every nut case that's ever done ANYTHING WRONG in the name of Jesus has believed in what they did. Haven't they? They believed that they were right.

The point is that Fred Phelps interprets the scripture in his own little twisted way....and I hold to the idea that he believes he's right, that he finds support for his twisted ideals within the front and back cover of the Bible.

I'm not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt, I think they're crazy, but I also think they believe that they're right and see no wrong in what they're doing.

How do they get funded?

Later.

Bonnie
01-12-2011, 09:59 PM
The devil has surely found a conduit in Phelps and his followers.

NateR
01-13-2011, 02:21 AM
Their existence is definitely a Satanic plot to discredit Christianity, but I'm not 100% sure that I believe it is a Left-Wing plot.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that most, if not all, of those church members were demon-possessed, including the children. Which makes their existence more tragic than anything else.

I also believe the simple fact that GOD is allowing this church to continue is a judgement upon all of us as Christians in the United States. If GOD was at all concerned about the reputation of Christianity and "the Church" in America, then He would have shut these Westboro Baptists down immediately. However, the fact that GOD doesn't seem to care about the reputation of Christianity and "the Church" in America should be extremely worrisome to us as Christians in America.

Maybe we have strayed so far and compromised so much that we are no better than the Westboro Baptist Church in GOD's eyes.

Llamafighter
01-13-2011, 03:09 AM
The devil has surely found a conduit in Phelps and his followers.

agreed.

flo
01-13-2011, 04:37 AM
The congregation is almost exclusively the Phelps family. What are the kids to do? Personally, I believe they are brain-washed. My heart always goes out to children whose parents are involved in cults. The kids don't have a choice when they're young.

flo
01-13-2011, 04:42 AM
Maybe we have strayed so far and compromised so much that we are no better than the Westboro Baptist Church in GOD's eyes.

Sometimes I feel that way too when I'm discouraged, Nate. I fail constantly in my efforts to be a better person but I don't feel I'm less in God's eyes for those failings.

BamaGrits84
01-14-2011, 08:00 PM
They are a Cult. :)

They really are. They preclaim to act and function under the commands of God, but their actions clearly show they have no idea who God really is.

This church makes me sick because it give the media a source for making Christians look like biggots and full of hate.

I posted this on another topic before I was redirected here by some other members. "I give you a new commandment: that you should love one another. Just as I have loved you, so you too should love one another. By this the world will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another." (Jesus speaking to the disciples, John 13) This church holds up signs that say "God hates gay". I think they are committing blasphemy. God doesn't hate anyone. By no means do I think Christians should just accepts the sinful, worldy ways of society. I believe Christians should speak up for what is right and support a society that reflects biblical principals. But if we fail to love others in out attempts to stand up for God, we ourselves are in the wrong. "You catch more bees with honey."

BamaGrits84
01-14-2011, 08:47 PM

I think we would all be willing to say that even though we know there is no small sin in God's eyes, we all would see a murder as a horrible person but not someone that tells white lies. Human nature causes us to tend to gauge sin. As I stated in a previous post, I think what this church is doing is blasphemy, which cannot be forgiven (Matthew 12:31).

I don't agree with the whole idea that God is allowing this to continue and therefore He must have a reason for doing so. Our world is full of evil because God gave us free will to decide to do right from wrong. My 9 year old asked me the other day why this is so - why doesn't God just make everyone good. It was not as if I had never heard or consider that, but I needed to be sure to give my son an answer that would grow him spiritually. So I asked God to give me an answer and this is what I heard, God gave humans free will so we would CHOOSE to love Him. It makes great sense. You wouldn't want your spouse to love you out of force would you?

sasquatch
01-14-2011, 10:43 PM
It's only so long until they end up at the wrong place. Atleast one of those guys are gonna get murderd someday. If somebody did that at one of my family members funeral I would beat the ••••• out of them. They will all pay for it in the end.

cheachea
01-17-2011, 09:06 PM
I wish someone who really knows the Word(Bible) would talk to these guys and rebuke them. They are big on judgement but small on grace and mercy. The crazy thing is is that they actually know the Bible pretty well. I just wish they had had a full revelation of God's Grace, redemption and love through The Lord Jesus Christ.